• Published 29th Jul 2018
  • 334 Views, 1 Comments

A Night at the Disco - Phoebe Fireworks



An unexpected guest may be more than the staff of a disco club in Baltimare can handle.

  • ...
 1
 334

A Night at the Disco

"We just about ready to open, Glacier?"

“Everything’s looking good here, Boogie. Bar is stocked, sound system is good, and the place is pretty much spotless.”

The purple earth pony strode around his club, making sure everything was just so. It wasn’t easy running a disco in a city like Baltimare, but he made it work. The locals were warming up to the idea of disco, but it was the tourists who really drove the business.

For many, it would either be their first time here, or a fun night after a long journey. Boogie Hooves always liked to make a good impression either way.

He had started the club, named after himself, a few years ago with two other ponies, Sugar Rush and Glacier. They handled the bar and security respectively and were always a great help.

Boogie had known Sugar Rush since their college days and could always count on him for solid advice and a healthy dose of optimism. And this wasn’t even his main job, as Sugar also worked full-time at a local bank. A hardworking and dependable unicorn through and through.

As for Glacier, Boogie hadn’t known the mare before hiring her, but trusted the judgement of Sugar, who had known the pegasus for many years. She was a former Royal Guard and had been posted to Canterlot Castle before being honourably discharged. Why she would spend her time in a small Baltimare club had always confused Boogie, but he suspected that after a high-profile career, she might want something a little quieter.

For the record, he had warmed up to her quite quickly, and was glad she was a part of the team. Always the pragmatist, many thought Glacier a little cold at first, but deep down, Boogie knew she was a big softie.

She waved him over to the door. “Royal Guard here to see you, Bee!”

That caught his attention. Aside from the occasional recruits stationed nearby, Royal Guards rarely visited his club.

And never in full ceremonial armour. Something was up. The guard at the door had a gleaming set of the special ornate armour one usually only saw around the castle in Canterlot.

Boogie approached the guard with a warm smile and a hoofshake. “Good evening, sir! What can we do for you?”

“Sergeant Onyx, Lunar Guard. I’m here on behalf of Princess Luna. She’d like to visit your establishment tonight, and with your permission, I’d like to conduct a security sweep.”

The purple stallion was taken aback, but quickly composed himself. “By all means! We’d be honoured. My doormare here can show you around.”

The guard, though a bit on the curt side, was a consummate professional through the entire process. It mostly involved checking lines of sight, securing alternate entrances, and placing tamper-alert spells on any food and beverages.

While Onyx went about his work, Boogie sat by the bar and talked with his two friends.

“Princess Luna? Doesn’t she stay in her tower all the time?” Sugar wondered aloud.

Glacier shrugged. “Ponies can change. I imagine she wants to see what’s new after being away for a thousand years.”

“Just treat her like any other pony, and things should work out fine.” Boogie hoped he wouldn’t regret those words later.

After all, it wasn’t every day a Princess of Equestria visited a small club in Baltimare. But then again, no one really knew that much about Princess Luna yet. For all Boogie knew, she could be uppity like the unicorns in Canterlot, brash like the pegasi in Cloudsdale, or even follow in the grand earth pony tradition of being frighteningly stubborn.

The guard left just as briskly as he had arrived, and the club opened normally for the night. Nothing seemed out of place at first, and a healthy number of ponies came in for a night of dancing and drinks.

Boogie bounced around for a while, talking, dancing, and serving up some groovy beats.

A loud voice suddenly echoed around the room, even over the sound of the music.

“Good evening, fellow patrons! Your princess has arrived!”

The chatter and clinking of glasses went quiet as everyone looked at the entrance. Boogie and his friends didn’t even have to look to guess who that might be.

But they did and were more than a little surprised. They had seen a few pictures of the princess from her return a few months ago. A small, blue alicorn, with even lighter blue hair and a sheepish expression. This was not the same mare.

Standing a good head above even the tallest stallion, the Princess of the Night gazed around the room with a neutral expression, her starry mane flowing and dancing around her dark blue fur.

“Are you not overjoyed to see your princess? Let the celebration continue!”

The crowd slowly began to start talking and dancing again, though it was very clear they were all nervously eyeing the newcomer. Boogie couldn’t blame them. Very rarely did Princess Celestia attend a casual venue, so no one was sure of what to expect.

She wandered around the club for a while, sitting awkwardly in a booth before heading over to the dance floor. The lights and disco ball only seemed to confuse her. From what Boogie could tell, she tried to dance, imitating the others around her, but it was clear she had not danced in a long time. Or at least, nothing that would help in a disco club.

Luna then left the dance floor and stood over to the side, looking more and more agitated. After gazing around a moment longer, she trotted over to the bar.

“Barkeep!” She rose up and leaned on the counter. “One tankard of your strongest mead!”

To his credit, Sugar Rush only froze for a split second. “Apologies, your majesty, we don’t serve mead. We do have a selection of other alcohols, though!”

“No mead?” The princess grew visibly frustrated and her voice began to boom throughout the small building. “What sort of tavern has no mead?!”

This drew the attention of many in the room, especially Glacier, who looked to be very much on edge. Boogie decided it was time to step in.

“Perhaps I can help,” He gracefully slid up to the bar and into the conversation. “Hello, your highness. My name is Boogie Hooves, and I am the owner of this establishment.”

“Boogie Hooves? A curious name, to be sure. Please show us to somewhere more private. We need a moment to collect ourselves.”

“Of course. Right this way,” He bowed, earning a curt nod from the princess.

They headed to the upper level of the club, and then out to the balcony. Many of the patrons visibly relaxed. If Boogie couldn’t handle it, no one could.

The cool night air of the balcony seemed to have a calming effect. After taking a few deep breaths, the princess turned towards Boogie.

“We apologize for our outburst. But we are pleased to make your acquaintance, good sir. It appears we are unfamiliar with this type of tavern.”

“What kind of taverns are you familiar with, Princess?”

Luna gazed wistfully towards the harbour. “Certainly not these ones. Before we were banished, the only establishments we had visited were either upscale ballrooms for royal functions, or the occasional portside tavern. As it turns out, sailors are excellent drinking companions.”

“You’ve visited the port bars?” Boogie was visibly surprised. “Pardon my saying so, but that comes as something of a shock. To my knowledge, none of the other princesses have done such a thing.”

That earned him a smirk. “To our knowledge, none of the other princesses are us. While there are some traditions and protocols we hold dearly, there are others we could not care less for.”

“What drew you there? The types of drinks offered, or the company found? I assume there would be a clear difference.” Boogie was curious now. Luna seemed to have a fierce character all her own.

“Truthfully, we don’t believe anypony has ever asked us that before. We suppose part of it is taste, as we prefer a large mug of hearty beverage. Our sister has always been fonder of the fine wines and alcohols.

“As for the company, we have always preferred spending our time with those we knew would be honest. Sailors, bartenders and children tend to tell us what they really think, intentionally or otherwise.”

Boogie nodded. “I like your thinking.”

“So, tell me, Mr. Boogie Hooves, what do you think of us? We realize we did not make the best first impression.”

“I try not to judge anyone too quickly,” the purple stallion said with a shrug. “Everyone has their reasons for doing things. If I were a gambler, I’d wager that this is but one of many things unfamiliar to you after spending so long away. I can’t blame you for the occasional bout of confusion and frustration.”

A bittersweet smile graced Luna’s expression. “Very astute, our little pony.”

“Hey, they don’t call me ‘the most tubular pony this side of Canterlot’ for nothing.”

A short giggle from the princess surprised Boogie. “Ponies actually call you ‘tubular’?”

“No, but that’s besides the point.”

A mischievous smirk. “Do enlighten me, pointy one.”

Boogie chuckled. He was enjoying Luna’s sarcastic sense of humour. “A lot has changed, yes, but you’ll find that a few things have not. Ponies still make friends and care about each other. They like to spend time together, strengthening friendships. That’s what my club is made for. It’s purposely silly, so that friends might share that experience and make good memories.”

The two of them remained quiet for a few minutes, content to enjoy the nighttime sky and the sounds of the city.

“So… you believe our… my error was in coming here alone?” Luna was suddenly much softer spoken.

“Perhaps, but I think we can fix that. I’ll be right back.”

Luna was left a little quizzical as Boogie Hooves trotted back into the club. He wasn’t sure how well it would work, but he knew he had to try.

He called out to Glacier, who seemed relieved to see him.

“What’s up, Boogie? Is the Princess alright?”

“She will be if you and Sugar can help. Ready for a quieter night?”

She seemed to catch on quickly and gave a knowing grin. “I can dig it.”


A few minutes later…


Luna occupied herself with fine-tuning some constellations while she waited. Soon enough, Boogie came back out to the balcony.

“Princess, could you come back downstairs with me, please? We’re all ready now!”

“’We?’ What do you have planned?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“You’ll see. I think you’ll like it.”

Though she was suspicious of what antics might be in store, Luna followed Boogie downstairs to the main dance floor.

It was empty, save for Sugar Rush, Glacier, and the two guards in her security detail.

“Are you closed? Where are all the patrons?” Luna asked as she trotted down the stairs.

Sugar Rush started it off. “When we first heard you’d be coming to visit us, we weren’t sure what to do. We try to treat all ponies as friends, but we’ve never had a princess visit us before.”

He then nudged Glacier, who continued. “From my time with the Palace Guard, I realized that being a Princess can be a lonely and stressful life, and that despite the incredible amounts of power and responsibility, you’re a pony just like any of us.”

Boogie Hooves looked around the club, at his friends, and finally at Princess Luna.

“We wanted to show you what a night here with friends is supposed to be. If you’d have us, of course.”

For a moment, Luna’s expression was unreadable. But slowly and surely, a smile grew and blossomed.

“I would be honoured.”


The rest of the night was spent as it should have been. With drinks, dancing, and an occasional swing at the disco ball. They opened the costume trunk and found a righteous green feather boa for the princess, as well as a classic set of star-shaped sunglasses. Of course, it all clashed horribly, but Luna loved it. It was a welcome reprieve from regalia and gowns.

After learning some basic moves from Glacier, she also found her groove on the dance floor, spinning and twirling to the best songs disco had to offer.

When they had all tired out for the night, they settled into a booth with a few drinks and snacks. As it turned out, Luna was quite the storyteller, and had more than a few tales of pranks, adventures, and even a little treasure-seeking. But most importantly, she just seemed happy to tell them.

Eventually though, the sun rose, duty called, and while Boogie and his friends would simply head back to their homes again, Luna had a great many things to take care of. Glacier and Luna’s guards helped to fix up her mane and adjust her regalia while they waited for the chariot.

And while the drinks wore off, of course.

Luna gazed longingly at the costume chest. “We dearly wish we could wear that feather boa back to the palace, just to see Celestia’s face.”

“I don’t blame you,” Sugar Rush yawned. “It would make for a great story.”

“Alas, we must return to Canterlot without it, but rest assured we shall visit again soon.”

“We’d like that,” Boogie smiled. “You’re always welcome here.”

Before they could say anything else, Luna magically pulled all three of the ponies in for a group hug.

“Thank you for this night,” she said softly to them. “Had I friends like you a thousand years ago, Equestria would never have known Nightmare Moon.”

“We know you now, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.” Boogie said. The others nodded in agreement.

Luna released them and headed towards the arriving chariot. “Fare thee well for now, friends! Until next time!”


Several days later…


“Hey Boogie, did you order anything?”

Glacier stood before a large box in the front entryway. The purple stallion trotted up beside her and gave it a look.

“Not that I can think of. My shipment of spare afros came in last week. Let’s see what’s inside!”

Using Sugar’s magic, they opened it up, revealing a normal-looking disco ball, and a single small scroll. It was sealed with the emblem of Equestria, so they didn’t have to guess very hard as to who it was from.

Unfurling the scroll, Boogie Hooves began to read:


Friends,

A few nights ago, we found ourselves in a small tavern nestled away in the side streets of Baltimare. We were unsure of what to expect after our absence. To put it lightly, we did not have high hopes, and were mostly going out to ease our sister’s mind.

How wrong we were.

While we cannot completely dismiss royal protocol, we truly appreciate you seeing through the crown and recognizing what we are going through. Spending the night drinking, dancing, and talking with you will live as a highlight in our memories for many years to come. We would simply ask that you do not tell anyone of that one tale involving the gryphons and the maple syrup. That was shared in confidence and/or inebriation.

As a token of our gratitude, please accept this enchanted disco ball. When light is shone upon it, it shall paint the walls with a breathtaking display of every constellation in our night sky. We thought it a fitting gift, given the ‘stellar’ time we had that night.

While our journey ahead is still long and arduous, it means more than you could ever know that we have friends like you by our side.

And that we have a green feather boa bearing our name in your club.


With grooviest regards,

HRH Princess Luna
Princess of Equestria
Guardian of the Night

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading!

This story was published amidst the chaos of BronyCon 2018, and is a gift for my best friend and editor Boogie Hooves.

I wouldn't have made all of this progress without you, my friend. Here's to many more years of friendship and creativity!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment