• Published 20th Jul 2018
  • 336 Views, 6 Comments

Just Smile, ok? - Lightly Written



It's amazing how far a little hospitality can go between strangers.

  • ...
 6
 336

Why do you care?

I don't know why I'm writing this... I don't know why I'm writing this to you either now that I think about it, you've never cared about me but for some reason I feel this is the right thing to do.

He held a flower in his hooves, no not a rose or Lilly or whatever thing you're expecting, no it was just a simple Daisy, picked from the side of the road next to the very bench upon which he sat. One could find some sort of poetic meaning in this, or infer that given what is to come he was regected by some beautiful mare (or stallion), or maybe it reminded him of something, or maybe it was simply just a detail. He stared at it for a good long while, pondering it's several petals and crevasses as ponies passed him by, Mrs. Cake... Bon Bon and Lyra... Some crossed eyed pegasus... None paid much attention to him, just another face, one that currently held no need for attention.

However, one mare did do a double take at the sight of him, this wasn't the only oddity about this individual such as the bounce inducing way she trotted, or her frazzled, headache inducing way she wore her mane, or maybe just the bubbly aura that surrounded her.

I... I still have no idea why she stopped, at first I thought she was some weirdo sales pony or something, or just some random crazy mare... We'll actually that description isn't that far off..

"Well howdy Doo mister?" She inquired, hopping onto the bench beside him, "I haven't seen you around here for 27 days, normally it's a solid 29 so what's the occasion?"

He frowned at her for a moment and said nothing, than tried to go back to his silent stares, "tonight... I'm gonna do it tonight." He thought, relaxing a little beside his unwanted company. "So not much of a talker eh? Well it just so happen that I am, so I think we'll be great friends!" She smiled warmly at this prospect, patting the other tenderly on the shoulder.

He still tried to ignore her, shrugging off her contact and scooting a little further down the bench and said nothing. "So... What's your name mr...?" She asked, taking no note of his obvious unintrest and slid down closer towards him.

She's a very persistent mare, and she's so nice it's kinda creepy, but she's so nice it surpasses that to a weird meta-niceness to the point it's not creepy or nice, it's just... Her.

"What's it to you?" He replied cooly, once again dropping a hint that he wanted to be left alone in the confines of his own mind and thoughts. She pondered for a second and simply asked, "If I don't know then how can we be friends silly?"

He scoffed and turned away from her, "I don't have any and don't want them either." She looked from him to the flower he was holding, "Oooh pretty..." She exclaimed, crouching upon their shared seat to get a closer look. "It's just a flower.." he muttered before casually dropping it, paying no attention as it slowly drifted from his grasp to the ground.

"What's your favorite flower?" She asked, tilting her head innocently. "What's it matter?" He replied, glancing down at her from the corner of his eye. "Because I love daises and you just dropped one and it kinda made me a little bit sad but not enough to cry just enough to kinda make me a little less happy..." She continued to explain every detail of why it mattered while he drifted out of attention, staring up at the clouds above.

She wasn't lying when she said she likes to talk, nearly gave me a damn migraine by how high and fast her voice is, but she asked me something, a simple question that saved my life, one that she herself doesn't know how much changed it caused in me.

"So, how're things going mister no-name?" This question snapped him back from his dazed stupor of thought. "W-what?"
"Howre things with you? Good? Bad? Grey? Tell me I wanna know!" He thought about her question for a moment before simply saying, "Bad.. but it's gonna get better soon." He closed his eyes, deciding to make small conversation would be easier than ignoring her.

"Oh.. I'm sorry, wanna talk about it?" She asked sweetly, resting a hood on his shoulder. "Well.. I uh... Lost a... Pet.. recently, one that I loved... Alot and ever since then things have been going worse, lost my job... Um.. me an this mare aren't...friends anymore... I lost a few more pets and friends since then... And nopony cares so.. yeah, overall pretty shitty, however like I said soon it's gonna get better... Better for everyone I guess."

Her ears dropped in response to this, maybe she read between the lines an got the truth or maybe she took it at face value, "Sorry for bringing it up... Do you want me to go away?" She asked quietly, He shrugged and said, "It's ok, you're um.. oddly nice to talk to."

I don't know why but.. for some reason I didn't feel completely fucking miserable talking to her, probably some sort of distraction or maybe that's just her talent in life I dunno.

What she did next he wasn't prepared for, she pulled him into a hug, one he thought at the time he didn't need. He sat there in the hug for how long he didn't know, he could feel her tensing slightly, maybe she was silently crying or had the hiccups or something. After what seemed like an eternity had passed of him trying to process what she was doing, he slowly wrapped his hooves around the pink pony as a few silent tears streaked down his face.



I never was good with words or anything but.. when she left me alone on that bench I felt kind of elated for a moment, a feeling that something had passed and I could be happy again... But of course that feeling passed and I was left alor once more to ponder my own fate, however a I looked from the sun setting upon the horizen, and the Daisy that lay beneath me I made a choice. God only knows if it the right one or not, maybe it'll come back to bite me in the ass I dunno but one thing's for sure I'm gonna go through life with a dopey ass grin because today I've been saved by a totally clueless stranger.

"What?"
"Smile."
She sat in front of him, pulling her lips curved upwards as a demonstration. He meekly attempted the same, "there you go!" She giggled.

Author's Note:

I dunno, I think that last letter bit is kinda cheesy but I wrote this from 4am to 7am so dwb
If you wanna read this for a YouTube video or something PLEASE tell me, I would love to be involved (and you know, credit me obviously)
Thanks for reading!

Comments ( 6 )

Well that was...strange. The tags are certainly a lie, unless I really missed something.

9057320
He contemplated suicide and probably had done a few attempts before

This story is great. And is Way better than mine

9058887
You think so? I think it's just some edge that I wrote in like.. 2 hours dwb

9057320
Yeah, not gonna lie, I was probably functioning off of 3 brain cells when I wrote this thing

This story was a sweet weed, they're also goes to show how the little things could make a big difference,

Login or register to comment