• Published 19th Jul 2018
  • 686 Views, 13 Comments

Ogres and Oubliettes, Rise of the Shadow Empire - ezra09



A darkness is stirring in the Kingdom of Solenis. Bandits roam the open fields while mysterious figures work to undermine the cities from within. But in one small town in the middle of nowhere, a band of unlikely heroes rise to face the shadows.

  • ...
1
 13
 686

The Adventure Begins

The Muddled Mare was the nicest tavern in the entire town of Three Streams, if only because there weren’t any others. Candles burnt on tables and on either end of the bar, filling the room with a dim, flickering light and the thick smell of smoke. The candlesticks holding them were caked in years worth of wax. Hanging from the ceiling at the center of the room was a chandelier, an ugly thing made of the rusted ring from an old barrel and a length of smoke stained rope.

A number of patrons sat at the tables and along the bar, buying drinks from a steely gray earth pony crone and just beginning to relax as the work day came to a close.

An elderly, brown-coated mare sat at a table near the back, watching her partner work.

“It’s a simple game, gentlecolts, seconds to learn and years to master,” the griffon said, fanning a deck of cards out for the few ponies he’d managed to gather.

The griffon’s entrance had been met with immediate attention in this little backwater tavern, as it had been in each town before. His lion body was a dark grey. It darkened even further on his wings and the tuft at the end of his tail, while his chest and head were covered in pristine white feathers, and his beak and talons were a steel-gray. Draped across the silver and white backdrop was a splash of blue silk, a vest adorned with twisted stitchwork and patches of ice blues and winter greens. More silk and lace decorated the inner curve of his wings and the end of his tail. To complete the odd look, he wore a number of thin bands of metal on his talons, and from a pair of chains around his neck.

He also wore a thin scabbard at his side, containing an elegant rapier, but for the time being it was left untouched.

“Here, my good man,” the griffon said, offering the deck of cards to one of the watching patrons. “Look through these. There are twenty two cards to this deck. Sun and moon, one through ten and the sisters, which of course count as eleven. Look at the backs too, be sure that they aren’t marked. I run a fair game.”

The pony took the deck and began examining them, carefully checking the backs for any distinguishing marks.

“Now, the game is simple. It’s something they play up North, even as high as the Jeweled Rose family.”

One of the watching ponies snorted. “And how would somepony like you know that?”

“Well, I played with them when I had dinner with Princess Ember Rose just a fortnight past.”

Another snort. The griffon raised a claw and flicked one of the circular bits hanging from his neck. A silver coin emblazoned with a white crystal rose. The watching ponies fell silent.

The elderly mare could guess at what they were thinking. Anypony wearing a crystal rose signet would have more money than sense.

“As I said, Ladies' Liars couldn’t be simpler. We each draw one of the cards and, without showing the other, we take turns betting on the combined total of the cards. So if I go first and I say six, you can bet seven or higher, or you can call. If you call, I win if the combined total is equal to or higher than my bet, and you win if my bet is higher.”

One of the ponies moved slowly, circling around behind the griffon.

Pretty quick, the mare thought. Galahad, one of the ponies moved behind you, probably to watch out for somepony signalling you.

Galahad’s tail flicked once in acknowledgement. “Now, the lying part comes from bluffing your opponent. If you draw a one, you might start the bet low, knowing that the total will be low, but you might also start it high, so as to call my bet right away. Of course, it’s no fun without a little wager. No minimum, of course. A copper wins two. Same for a silver, but anypony brave enough to put up a gold piece will get back three pieces if they win. Anypony care to try?”

The ponies muttered looking to each other. One brave stallion stepped up. “Uh, I’ve got some copper to spare, why not.”

Galahad shuffled the deck, and then, to the surprise of the onlookers, gave it to the stallion. He gave it a clumsy shuffle and then took one card.

Seven.

Galahad’s tail flicked again as he drew a card. “Hmm, let’s start our betting by saying eight.”

“Uhm, ten?” the stallion said.

“Call,” Galahad said. The stallion blinked, clearly expecting the game to last longer. Galahad turned his card over to reveal a three. “See, I started high even though my card was low. You’ll get the hang of it.”

The stallion showed his own card. “Uh, but I won, didn’t I?”

“Oh, hey, look at that.” Galahad’s face soured and he passed the stallion two copper. There was an excited whisper among the watching ponies, and another pony stepped up. “I’ll bet a silver!”

The second game went just as the first had, and within seconds the second pony held two silver, grinning broadly.

“Well, today’s not my day, it seems,” Galahad said, scratching the back of his head. “Maybe offering three gold for one was a bit much. Maybe I should just call it a day.”

“But I haven’t had a chance to play yet!”

“I want to try!”

“I’ve got some gold!”

Galahad grinned and nodded his head. “Well, if you all insist. A griffon never goes back on his word, after all. Of course, I’m sure you all already knew that.”

Before any of the ponies could answer, the door to the tavern slammed open. The patrons closest jumped in surprise, and every head turned in its direction.

A hulking shape stepped through the door, ducking its head slightly to fit. A double sided axe blade jutting from its back smacked the doorway with another bang. The figure straightened, pulling back the hood of a travelling cloak to reveal a square snout covered in silver scales. Piercing white eyes surveyed the now silent room as the dragon pulled the cloak off its shoulders, revealing a simple sash of dark brown furs adorned with carved pieces of bone.

The dragon looked to the door, which was now hanging crooked, and then turned back to the room. He spoke in a rumbling bass. “Sorry.”

“I uh, I just remembered I have somewhere to be,” one of the ponies near Galahad said, quickly finishing his drink and making toward the exit. He paused a good distance away from the dragon and waited for the way to be clear.

“So, uh, how about that game? One gold for three?” Galahad asked as the ponies nervously made their way toward the exit, giving the dragon a wide berth.

As the dragon crossed the room to the bar, another figure stepped in after him. This creature looked like a pony, but her coat was striped with white and gray. The gray stripes formed an image on her flank, one of a stylized tree. Each of its five branches seemed to end in some kind of bubble. She wore a simple traveling cloak made of some canvas-like material, and strapped to her back was a wooden staff topped with five large metal rings. She wore similar rings around her forelegs, each of a different type of metal.

“A zebra,” Galahad noted.

“Gesundheit,” one of the remaining ponies replied.

The zebra looked around the room and smiled. “Please, pony friends, do not fear. There is no danger from my large friend here.” She followed after the dragon, leaving the door clear for ponies to begin filing out, despite her assurance.

“Two ales,” the dragon said, dropping a few copper pieces onto the bar. The older barkeeper nodded and began filling two flagons, her expression never wavering from bored indifference.

Galahad sighed, seeing that the tavern was nearly empty now, and pocketed his deck. “Well, Elytra, how about we make some new friends? Pair like that, they probably have a story or two at least.”

The older mare nodded and, with their job over, changed back. Elytra’s form was fairly typical for a changeling, not that anypony in these part would know what that was. Her body was black, as were her short mane and tail. Her wings were blue and translucent. Her eyes were the light purple of a changeling overseer. She wore a light set of armor, dyed to shades of black and dark grey. The armor covered most of a pale scar that ended low on the left side of her neck.

“Well, hi there,” Galahad said as he approached the odd pair.

The dragon grunted and the zebra nodded in greeting.

“That was quite the entrance,” Galahad said. “And coming from me, that’s saying something.”

“Sorry,” the dragon said again.

“Nah, it was meant as a compliment.”

“Well,” the zebra said, “I am glad to find at least one of you at ease. My friend here is Grogar, and you may call me Breeze.”

“A pleasure,” Galahad said. “My name is Galahad de Strata, and this exotic specimen is my friend and confidant, Elytra.”

Elytra nodded wordlessly. The four stood in silence for several moments.

Sweetie Belle: What do you think Scootaloo and Spike are whispering about over there?

Apple Bloom: Probably how to get her in the story. Hey, while yer up, pass me that bag of chips.

Spike: Okay, sorry about that. Thistleroot and Mimic, go ahead and roll perception checks.

Thistleroot: Woo-hoo, I’m terrible at those! Here, it’s this big one. We call this a d20. Roll it and add this number. I rolled a total of zero, by the way.

Apple Bloom: What? How!?

Mimic: Uh, I got a fifteen.

Elytra stood back, scanning the room as her partner did what he did best. She paused.

Two tables down, closer to where they’d been running their scam, a pony sat largely obscured by a hooded cloak. The pony was facing them, and Elytra could see the glint of firelight reflected in its eyes.

Galahad, someone is staring at you.

His tail flicked, and then he scratched the right side of his neck. He wanted more information.

Over by where you were running your game. Might have guessed that you were going to cheat. I think it’s a pony, but I can’t be sure. It looks like it has wings under its cloak.

A single flick. Acknowledgment.

“So, how about a deal,” Galahad said.

“A deal?”

“Yeah. I buy you and Grogar’s next round, and you tell me a story. I’m a collector, you see.”

“One drink is enough, but I’ll take your deal, I’ll offer a tale for a simple meal.”

“Done. I’ve got—”

Before he could finish, the tavern door burst open once again. A disheveled earth pony stumbled in, turned, and slammed it. The door bounced against the frame and he snarled in frustration before closing it more carefully. The barkeep sighed, setting aside a glass she’d begun wiping down as the few remaining ponies in the room stood. Some moved toward the door while others moved toward the back wall.

“What’s wrong?”

“Don’t tell me it’s happening again?”

“Woah, woah,” Galahad said. “What’s going on?”

“An attack,” the newly arrived pony said, voice shaking. “Wolves this time. From the east road out of the Macasby Run.”

“This time?” Grogar asked.

“It’s been happening a few nights each week,” the barkeep said. “Wild animals coming into town and attacking. Okay, everypony. No need to panic. They don’t know how to work doorknobs, so we’re safe. Keep an eye out the front window, be ready to let anypony who comes running in.”

“Well, it seems we must postpone our bargain,” Breeze said. “Come, Grogar, it is time to work again.”

Grogar grunted and rose from his seat. The two started for the door.

“I’m going too,” Galahad said. “This’ll make for a great story.” He started after them. Elytra sighed and followed. The four of them made their way outside and started running for the Eastern road.

“Three rivers run through the town,” Galahad said as they went. “Hence the name. Macasby Run is the Southernmost river, so we’ll want to turn right up here.”

The pony that was watching you followed us out. I saw her walk out, but I lost track of her.

“We’ve got bigger things to worry about,” Galahad said, coming to a stop and drawing his rapier. Ahead of them, four wolves, each as tall as a pony, prowled down the street toward them.

Grogar pulled his greataxe and stepped forward, putting himself between them and the wolves.

“Perhaps you two should stand further back,” Breeze said. “You need not endanger yourselves in this attack.”

“We can handle ourselves fine,” Elytra said, moving forward to stand next to Grogar.

“Oh, so you do speak after all.” Breeze reached back, biting onto her quarterstaff and pulling it free to rest against her shoulder. The wolves advanced, teeth bared in furious snarls. “Well, I certainly won’t keep you from this brawl.”

Before anypony could attack, a dark shape darted out of the shadows. The figure came to a stop, one hoof undoing the clasp at its neck. Its wings spread, casting the cloak off to reveal a pegasus.

Her coat was a dark, dusty purple and her mane a deep red wine. She wore a fine set of light armor. On each of her front hooves, she wore a thick band with broad, short hooks and clips on either side. Hanging from her left side, just under her wing, was a bow harness.

The new pony reared back onto her hind legs, wings flared for balance. She used the band on her left leg to hook the bow and pull it forward as far as the harness would allow. Her other hoof pulled an arrow from a quiver slung low on her right side, knocked it, and used the hooked band to draw the bowstring back.

She twisted her hoof and let the arrow fly.

The front wolf flinched and snarled as the arrow sank into its shoulder, ducking away just in time to miss a swing of Grogar’s axe. It circled the dragon and ran into a waiting Breeze.

Breeze had begun stomping in place behind Grogar, the staff held parallel to the ground, the rings rattling with each stomp. Her hoof came up as the wolf approached. It twisted aside, and her hoof only glanced against its thick hide. The street was filled with the smell of burning fur and the wolf staggered. Acrid vapor drifted from its side as fur, skin, and muscle began to dissolve.

The wolf struggled, trying to take a bite at the zebra, but the damage was too much and it collapsed.

The other wolves moved left, away from Breeze. One particularly brave, or particularly stupid, wolf lunged at Grogar, its teeth useless against the dragon’s thick scales. Grogar pushed the wolf away and swung as it turned to flee, leaving a deep gash along its side. The final two charged Elytra.

The changeling ducked under the bite of the first wolf, coming back up just as the second struck. Its jaws clamped onto her neck and drove her down into the ground.

“Elytra!” Galahad called out, eyes going wide. “Uh, uh, okay.” His arms came up, talons curved into a quick arcane gesture as he sang four notes in a panicked rush. A silvery blue sand poured out from his hands, drifting toward the wolves.

The wolf standing over Elytra pulled back, readying a lung to finish her off. The dust swept over it and it staggered, head coming up to look at Galahad, eyes blinking. Its head dipped. The wolf Grogar had injured staggered to a halt before falling to the floor. The wolf beside her tilted and fell to the floor. Finally, the third wolf sank to its haunches, and the slid sideways, eyes falling shut as sleep took it.

Galahad whistled a simple victory tune, swinging his sword like a conductor's baton. “Thank Celestia, that spell is so good at level one. Er, I mean, Elytra! Stay with us!”

Breeze stepped toward the unconscious changeling, stomping again, the rings of her staff clattering against each other. The torn flesh around Elytra’s neck flowed together and her eyes fluttered open. Breeze helped her back to her hooves.

"Thanks," Elytra said, feeling her neck.

Galahad breathed a sigh of relief and turned to the newcomer. “So, I’m guessing you’re on our side?”

The pegasus nodded. “Yeah. I heard your conversation in the tavern and I thought I would be able to help.”

“What was with all of the sneaking around?” Elytra asked shakily.

“I, uh, I don’t do well with other ponies. My name is Dusk, by the way.”

“Galahad de Strata. A pleasure.”

Mimic: Is there any way to tell if she’s being honest with us? You two were whispering for a long time.

Spike: Yes, actually. You wouldn’t want to use information like that, since your character wouldn’t know it, but it makes sense for you to be naturally suspicious. Go ahead and roll an insight check. It’s the big one again, and then add that number. And Scootaloo, this is a little unrelated, but roll an intelligence check with advantage, since beasts are your favored enemy.

Mimic: Eighteen.

Scootaloo: Thirteen.

Elytra narrowed her eyes and took a step back. I don’t trust her, Galahad. I don’t know why she was following us, but keep an eye on her.

“That’s beside the point.” Dusk nodded toward the sleeping wolves. “The townsponies said this was happening a few times a week. This isn’t normal behavior. Predator’s like these don’t just leave their territory and wander into towns. They’re smarter than that.”

“Then why are they here?” Elytra asked, voice sharp.

“My guess? Something drove them out of their territory.”

The words were barely out of her mouth before a low, guttural growl reached their ears. The party turned to see a hulking shape turn onto the street from an alley forty feet away. It looked like the wolves they had already seen, but it was larger, almost as tall at the shoulder as Grogar. Its body creaked as it moved, and its flesh seemed to be made of wood. It turned, its eyes glowing in the darkening evening, a burning purple vapor drifting off of them.

Galahad swallowed and raised his sword. “Ah, ponyfeathers.”

Author's Note:

MECHANICAL FUN FACTS:

Occasionally I'll use the author's notes to talk about some of the behind the scene's game mechanics. If you're not interested in the dice rolling and numbers, and are just here for a story, feel free to skip these notes.

I did roll stats and I have character sheets saved for the five players. Pretty much everyone rolled really well, with Scootaloo's combined stat total being the second lowest. Mimic's is the lowest with just one point less. Sweetie Belle rolled the highest, and after racial bonuses she has a 20 in Wisdom and an 18 in Constitution. The lowest single score is Thistleroot, who true to his "for the lulz" attitude, chose Wisdom as his dump stat. He has a 6. He gets -2 to Wisdom saves. Yeah, the first roll of the campaign really was a total of 0. We're off to a great start.

Speaking of first rolls, the first critical of the campaign was rolled by the wolf attacking Elytra. It dealt 12 points of damage to her 9 hit points. Also, ten imaginary points to whoever can guess her class.