• Published 1st Aug 2018
  • 1,237 Views, 28 Comments

Applejack and Rainbow's Close Cell Comfort - Nebbie



After endangering their students, one thing leads to another, and AJ & RD end up in jail. Their friendship keeps them sane, even as things continue to go wrong.

  • ...
33
 28
 1,237

Best Friends Forever

The following day, Rainbow was feeling rather mopey. Rarity and Twilight hardly talked, and Applejack just wanted to know when her family could visit. When the guard offered them some playing cards that night, the pegasus was ecstatic at the opportunity to show everypony her skills.

"Aww yeah, how about some high stakes poker, you three are going down!" she said as she flew in a vertical loop.

Applejack just got into the bed along with Rarity. "It's about time to hit the hay, sugarcube, and I need time to...deal with some urges if ya know what I mean." She pulled the covers over and put her hooves deep into them.

Rarity scoffed and looked away. "Must you announce it?! The whole point of being under the covers is so we don't have to acknowledge it!"

"Well at least I gave ya some warning so you'll know why my hoof's movin', sugarcube." replied Applejack.

"I'd rather not feel it to begin with...oh the things I do for a good sleep schedule." Rarity remarked.

Twilight giggled a little bit. "I'll play with you, Rainbow Dash. So what are the stakes?"

Rainbow peeled her eyes away from the uncomfortable fashionista. "Well...how about if I win, you have to...do to me what Applejack's doin' to herself!"

Twilight gulped, but then put on a devious glare. "Well, if that's how it's gonna be, if I win, you have to read any book I choose, no matter how technical or boring!"

"You're on!" Rainbow replied.


After a lot of back and forth with some high blinds, Twilight went all-in with the dried noodles they used as chips, then winked.

Rainbow gulped, knowing that with only a pair of 4s, she was gonna be bled dry.

However, the guard came up to the bars. "Twilight Sparkle, we've just gotten word that Shining Armor will be visiting in an hour."

The purple mare was so surprised and seemingly frightful, she accidentally let Rainbow see her cards as she got up. "Already?! I'm not prepared!"

So she's bluffing! Nothing but a pair of 2s!

The guard shrugged and returned to his desk, while Rainbow pushed her noodles in. "All in."

Twilight turned around and sighed as they showed their hands. "So...how exactly do I uh...?"

Rainbow grinned widely.


Rainbow was on the verge of sleep on the bed next to Rarity, still in her afterglow while Twilight was vigorously washing her hoof. She kept alternating between scrubbing and rinsing as she went through all of the soap. "Ew ew ew, the books never said anything about ponies that squirt from there! What makes Rainbow Dash's vaginal system so different from mine?"

A stallion then cleared his throat from the other side of the bars. "Twily, unless you were elbow deep in your friend, I think your hoof is clean by now; it's...been over 3 minutes."

Rainbow immediately did her best to pretend to be asleep, as it would be a bit...awkward to talk to the two after.

Twilight shut off the water and rushed to the bars. "Shining! I-I uh...am I..." she seemed to get a little high-pitched, as if she was on the verge of tears. "...still your Little Sister Best Friend Forever?"

Shining sighed and put a hoof to her face as he started crying. "Always, Twily, no matter what. I just...I just want to know why you did it."

Twilight looked at the floor. "I didn't have a choice. If time travel weren't so dangerous, she'd be here with us right now. I'm so, so sorry."

Rainbow took a moment to wonder who she was, but then realized what was odd about this visit: Cadance wasn't here.

"I know, I know, you'd come up with something, but I still don't understand why you had to, or why you took the maximum sentence. Twily, I already lost my wife, I don't want to lose my Little Sister Best Friend Forever too." Shining said, wiping tears from his eyes.

"I'm afraid some things I'll take to my grave, and that's where I belong. I can't forgive myself for what I did, even if you can, Big Brother Best Friend Forever." replied Twilight.

Huh, wonder what the maximum sentence was...

Shining put his face between the bars. "I...suppose this is goodbye. I can't bear to see you like this any longer..." he closed his eyes and puckered his lips.

"Yeah..." Twilight gently put her head up and locked lips with her brother, giving him a loving smooch. After several seconds, the two moved away in such a synchronized manner that it was clear they knew each other well. Shining then trotted off in a hurry, and neither said a word more.

Twilight stood silently for several seconds, before getting into bed and wrapping around the cyan pegasus. "I know you're awake, Rainbow. Enjoy the show?"

Rainbow froze up. "I...I...I shouldn't've made you hoof me...I didn't know you were in the same boat, and it's just the only way I can distract myself from thinking abo-"

Twilight put a hoof to her lips. "Rainbow, it's okay, I'm happy that I was able to make you feel better, and I'll do anything for my friends. I just wish that I could, even for a moment, forget, like you can. Just return the favor when I ask, okay?"

Rainbow nodded. "Sure thing. Thanks, Twilight."

"You're welcome." the purple alicorn said as she snuggled in closer before rapidly dozing off.

Rainbow was kept awake a few minutes with one question on her mind: Why did Twilight kill Cadance?