• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 13,368 Views, 409 Comments

Twilight Discovers Literary Analysis - Amit



Twilight reads a book about literature. It doesn't go well.

  • ...
24
 409
 13,368

La naissance du personnage

Twilight pulled her head from her book, the very movement providing an explanation for her mental state; the title, too, was marked The Elements of Literary Construction—the provision of the fact a clear example, in Twilight's mind, of subtle plot establishment.

“Everything,” she said, lowering her head onto her hooves to provide a physical clue as to her mood, “everything I do—”

She simply trailed off and sighed, reflecting the end of her train of logic—and then she tensed up, realising that she, in her relaxation, had done it again; she had done something working into a greater narrative, relaxed so that the story would move on. That was what the book had called it: the narrative.

It made everything make sense. Everything.

“C’mon, Twilight,” she began, before she realised that her talking to herself represented growing madness; where she would have said ‘keep it together’, she simply stopped and stood, and walked down the stairs, deciding to do something without purpose. She froze half-way, knowing that her search for pointlessness had a point and therefore was part of the narrative, and so she stood there for a few minutes with her eyes and mouth wide open as she tried to solve the problem through sheer willpower.

“Uh, Twi?” Spike peeked up through the gap between the second floor and the stairs on which Twilight lay frozen, “You alright, Twi?”

She turned her head slowly towards him, and as she noticed that her expression would make her out to be a maniac and be a further submission to the plot she knew she was the protagonist of, she—with disconcerting quickness—turned her face into serenity incarnate. “You’re a prompt.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“If you hadn’t come here,” she said, stomping down the stairs step by step as she arched her back slightly before it became obvious to her that the pose made her look predatory—the narrative was out to get her, she was sure, and so she forced herself to walk like a normal pony even as she continued to speak. “If you hadn’t come here, I would’ve stood here forever, and that wouldn’t be a very good narrative, would it? So you’re a prompt!”

“You’re sounding really silly right now. You know that, right?”

“Is that so?” she said, looking at the ceiling to avoid staring at him as she might be expected to, a second before she turned back when she decided that perhaps the narrative wanted her to subvert cultural norms and make her look insane. “What were you doing before you got here?”

Spike put his claws up to his chin and thought for a bit. “Well,” he said, “I wasn’t really doing anything importan—”

See? If you were an actual character, you’d have some sort of indication that you were hiding something when you said that! You’re not important in this narrative as a character, you’re just here to get me to move!” It was then that she realised that her escalating voice was, too, a reflection of the narrative, perhaps telling a story on her insanity; so she lowered her voice, and kept her normal pose for about a second before she thought that perhaps what the narrative wanted was to make herself seem sane and she was playing right into its clutches, and spent some time alternating between the two positions as Spike looked on with a fair measure of incredulity.

“Well,” he chuckled nervously, “You sure are moving now, Twi.”

She suddenly stopped and stood still. “Humor.”

“Humor?”

Twilight jumped off the top of the stairs, landing rather roughly on her hooves in front of Spike; the latter, in shock, jumped backwards and landed on his posterior. “That’s right. Humor. You made a joke.”

Spike pushed himself backwards a little as Twilight inched closer; she had a rather disconcerting grin on her face. “Y—yeah, I made a joke. Did something really bad happen? Is something wrong?” His demeanour had a considerable amount of fear in it.

“No, no, no!” Twilight said, immediately standing straight and smiling in a tempered, not-at-all-insane way. “You just proved my hypothesis. You just sit around and make jokes and set up punchlines and fulfil a minor but important function, sometimes to have a little adventure of your own but never as much as us! You’re just a side character!

Spike, who had already been rather terrified by Twilight’s show of insanity, began to tear up a bit. “I’m just a—I’m just a side character? That’s all I am to you?”

Twilight stopped, then, and took a look at herself, and then to Spike’s tearful eyes. “I’m a monster,” she said, and stepped back quickly and turned around—for just a second, before she had another revelation. “No, no! That’s just what the narrative wants me to do! It wants me to get mad at you and realize what a jerk I’ve been and then say sorry and cuddle and then forget—”

Spike, pushing himself onto his feet and dusting himself off, wiping the tears from his eyes, “Twilight, what in Celestia’s name are you talking about?

“Well,” she said, whipping back around—and then she realised that the only reason she had turned around in the first place was to facilitate a dramatic turn that she did not personally plan, and she realised that she had stopped saying something because it would be inconvenient for the narrative, and she hadn't the slightest clue as to what she could possibly do that wasn't some reflection of the narrative.

So she just broke down and screamed a wordless cry of primal, existential rage, and shoved her head into her hooves. Then she just as suddenly pulled them out, and her face looked as though she was mildly shocked for no reason in particular—the exact configuration she had forced it into.

Spike backed off, careful to look for any possible obstructions—genre-savviness, Twilight recognised, a hallmark of metafictional comedy, perhaps what the twisted narrative was forcing her into now—as he stepped back. “Maybe you should go see Fluttershy or something. She might—”

Twilight interrupted with a vengeance. “Fluttershy? No, no! Fluttershy’s just gonna make me feel better! She’s gonna try and calm me down! Guess what, Spike? Guess what?

“What?”

Answering a rhetorical question with another question! A prime example of comedic relief!” she said, very consciously keeping her voice low-pitched and face happy as she strode towards the door like Rarity might; certainly nothing she would normally do, she assured herself, clearly breaking from the narrative except for the possibility that the narrative might. “I’m gonna go to Pinkie Pie. She’ll know what to do about this.”

The baby dragon had done quite a fine job of not being a baby; he was quite well back to his old self by the time Twilight had finished her sentence, and spoke with air-quotes. “What if that’s what ‘the narrative’ wants you to do because it'd be funny seeing you take advice from Pinkie Pie?”

Twilight froze at the possibility before she thought that her freezing might have been contrived as a sort of comedic relief and so she simply ignored Spike as she pulled the door open, got out and slammed it as hard as possible; a few books fell off their shelves, and though Twilight may once have called it a coincidence of the transference of force, she would have then called it for what she was sure it was: a contrivance for comedic effect.

Spike let out a deep breath, shaking his head as he let himself take a seat on the floor.

“I swear,” he said, shaking his head once more and finally standing up, executing what Twilight would have called an ‘establishment of mundanity, constructed to make her seem paranoid’. “Sometimes I wonder what goes through that pony’s head.”

He began putting the books back on the shelves.

Some day, he'd have to talk to Princess Celestia about counselling options.