• Published 11th Jul 2018
  • 602 Views, 0 Comments

A horseshoe to rule them all - Bronycommander



Mordor, the land where the Shadows Lie. Four foals by the name of Dinky, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom have to find a way to escape this cursed place

  • ...
 0
 602

Chapter 5: The one truth

Chapter 5: The one truth

“So, what now?” Scootaloo asked.

“Check if our little…friend has found something.” Talion replied and they followed him back to some ruins but the creature was nowhere to be found. “Well, where is he? Your friend is either a liar or a coward.” The man said to the spirit who replied,

“Maybe it was you threatening his life?” He pointed to the ground and they saw again the creature’s footsteps again.

“Let’s go find your precious treasure.” The man replied and they followed it through the rubs until they saw a cave in the distance, a lone Caragor walking front of it before a gigantic shape leapt out and pummeled the creature into the ground. The caragor gave a short, pitiful yelp as its spine snapped like a twig

The foals looked at it in horror. The Beast stood on two legs, as tall as the Ursa Major with long arms that reached the ground, tipped with sharp, sloth-like claws that would be death to any creature that brushed against them. Its eyes, ears, and nostrils were tiny but its jaws, and the tusk-like teeth within, were enormous. Menacing spikes protruded from the joints in its arms, shoulders and along its back. Standing over the caragor carcass, it raised its arms up in victory and let out a terrifying roar.

“A Graug!” Talion whispered grimly, the muscles in his neck tensing in anxiety, “I need at least twenty men to bring that beast down.”

“Then we must find another way.” The spirit advised.

“Charging for the cave’s mouth will only lead us into the Graug’s claws.” Casting his gaze towards the nearby ruins, he saw an opportunity.

The orcs across Mordor had long sought to tame and control the beasts of the land and lead them against their foes. It wasn't uncommon to find bushels of bait hanging from the architecture, foul-smelling clumps of rotting beast and man, bundled together in weighted nests that would drop down on any creature that bit it open. The hunters would check every day to see if their trap had brought them any quarry.

But if the nets ever failed with no hunters at the ready, beasts from all around would pick up the scent and a bloodbath would ensue for a share of the spoils.

“A well placed arrow will do the trick here.” Talion did as told and shot it down. “That should keep the Graug occupied.” The spirit added as some Caragors arrived and the beast charged towards them, giving the group the chance they needed to get into the cave.

Once inside, they had a hard time to breathe. “The air is thick in death.” The Ranger commented as there were bones and pieces of armor from the beast’s victims were scattered around.

“Ghûls! Why am I not surprised?” He added as he spotted some fleeing and burring into the ground.

Suddenly there was a roar and the cave rumbled, causing the foals to look around in fear.

“Looks like the Graug won his fight against the Caragors.” Talion suspected.

“And now is ready for another.” The spirit added as they came to a large area of the cave.

The group scattered to look for a clue, Dinky climbed up an elevation and spotted what looked like a tool on a rock.

It was shaped like a tong and she realized what it was.

A clasp.

She pointed the Ranger over and once again, he screamed in pain and a blue light engulfed hm as he touched it.

As Dinky blinked, she saw again the spirit in his once living form, recognizing the pure blue eyes, long black hair, and strangely pointy ears. Next to him was a eerie, serene figure with the long blonde hair, his eyes fire-red, the one who had gifted him. They shook hands and then crafted seven rings together, using the clasp and the other tool she and Talion had discovered before.

They then inspected the rings, the visitor looked at one Ring in particular that glowed brightly, more than any of the other rings and grinned, his eyes flowing more intense. “Only you could accomplish such art, Celebrimbor.”

Then they both found themselves in reality again. “Celebrimbor!” Talion exclaimed as he got up and looked at the spirit. “Greatest smith of the Second Age. I’d heard the stories but…”

“I remember my name, now.” Celebrimbor interrupted him. “I shaped the history of Middle-earth. I crafted the Rings of Power.”

He vanished in a flash as a growl echoed through the cave and the Graug came back and the cave started to rumble.

“It’s collapsing!” Apple Bloom yelled in fear.

“Fly, you fool!” Dinky heard Celebrimbor’s echoing voice.

“Stay close.” Talion aimed the bow at a Ghul on an elevation on the other side of the cage, and as the foals blinked, they found themselves on that very elevation, the Ghul slain, the process repeated until they were near the entrance. “Run!” He yelled as the Graug was close behind.

They did as told, barely making it out as the cave fully collapsed and buried the Graug, trying to catch their breath after this. “…and good riddance!” The man said in relief before Celebrimbor appeared again.

“I am the one responsible for all of this. That’s why Sauron wants me.”

“No, no, Bright Master is good. He looks after us.” The small creature known as Gollum appeared behind a small rock. The foals suspected that was as his name, given how he used it sometimes when he walked away.

“Shut your insolent mouth!” The Ranger yelled in anger.

“Nasty Ranger. He knows nothing of the Bright Master.” Gollum countered and kneeled as Talion looked at the spirit,

“I know of his legend. How Sauron deceived you into making the Rings. He tortured you both you and your kin.”

“And the Precious? The master makes it, too? Where is it?” Gollum wanted to know.

“I have no memory of such thing,” Celebrimbor replied stern.

“Why would it even matter?” Talion asked in a frustrated tone.

“Master must remember! Yes, he must. We…dig up more treasures. Yes, yes, yes, and then he will take us to it.” Gollum said and crawled away.

“That was close…” Sweetie Belle was still shocked, trying to recover.

“Are you hurt?” The man asked with worry.

“We… we are fine…” Scootaloo said with a shaken voice after she checked herself, Apple Bloom nodded without a word.

“Yes, we are lucky to be alive,” Dinky added as the spirit appeared in front of her, his expression curious.

“So, child, what did you make of your look into the past.” He wanted to know.

“You...you knew I could see?” She asked in confusion.

Celebrimbor smiled furtively. “Come now, young one, we need to keep no secrets from each other...

Feeling uneasy, the filly said, “Okay...So, you’re name's Celebrimbor?”

“Indeed. It means 'Silver-Hand'. Ironic that I should resemble that name in death more than I ever did in life.”

Dinky connected the dots, based on his appearance. “And...you're not human are you?”

The spirit grinned. “Ha! As if a mere mortal could rise to the heights I stood upon?! No. I, young one, am an Elf!” He said with pride.

“I...don't think I've ever heard of those.”

“Well, know this, Dinky Doo...the greatest settlement humans have ever created is a pile of mud compared to the basest settlement an elf could forge! We the elves, or Eldar as we knew ourselves as, are the oldest, wisest, fairest and noblest of all beings, the chosen of the world's creators, the bearers of their ancestral light! And I...I was their king, the true king, descended from the very first of the Noldor, the deep-elves who crafted the very beginnings of Middle-Earth. It was I who forged the Rings of Power that every king of elf, dwarf, and man bore to let all know of their dominance.” He explained to her.

The unicorn stayed silent for a moment, trying to process everything. “And...who was the other one?”

Celebrimbor’s gaze darkened with anger. “He called himself 'Annatar', The Bringer of Gifts. He did not reveal his true name until it was too late. He deceived me...as he does to all.”

“So, you think elves are much better than humans?” The filly was curious.

“There is no 'think' about it, child. Men are fickle, crass, vain and ever-envious. They allow their instincts to rule them as if they were beasts. We elves know the true glory of this world and portray it through our civilization. And we have done so ever since.”

Dinky paused to think about it then raised an eyebrow. “So how come there are so many humans and so few elves?”

The elf scowled. “Because they have the filthy habit of breeding like rabbits! Now unless you have any more stupid questions, I must be with my thoughts...alone.” With that, he vanished.

It made no sense for Dinky. It was natural for the humans to breed, just like ponies. And they weren’t all bad, Dinky knew it firsthand from her first adventure on Earth, the home of the humans.

“Talion, we found some herbs for you.” Apple Bloom tore her out, seeing the CMC walking up to him with what looked like a tall, hale blue plant. Due to Zecora, Apple Bloom knew a lot about plants.

The Ranger looked surprised at her, like he was not expecting this at all.

Then he smiled. “Thank you. Blue Mist or Azuradan, very useful to deal with injuries.” He took them and put it into his bag. “That should suffice.” He stood up. “Come, let us see how the ambitions of our orcish friend have blossomed.” He suggested and they nodded.

The group reached the stronghold just in a few minutes and Scootaloo spotted something, hanging from a crane. “That’s Ratbag!”

“Yes, looks like he needs our help...again", he said with a sigh. “Wait here,” Talion said and sneaked his way on top of it.

The foals saw how Ratbag shooed two ravens away that had landed on him. “Hey look. There’s no need to freshen the wounds today.” He said to two guards as they checked him. “These birds are feeding plenty well as it is.”

One of the guards hit him with his spear and he cried in pain. “You bastards! When I am Warchief, these birds will feast on your guts!”

At that moment, Talion stabbed one guard from behind and Ratbag kicked the other, stunning him, allowing the human to slice him as well. “Did you see that?!” He yelled happy before asking helpless, “Could you get me down?”

The ranger cut the rope in reply and the Orc fell on an unfortunate guard below, the foals ran up to him but before they could ask, he said, “I’m alright! That didn’t hurt at all.”

He got up and faced Talion. “Now, I know what yer thinkin’, Ranger. This was not my fault. I go to tell the Warchief I’ve killed his bodyguard. He turns around…”


At the stronghold, Ratbag swaggered up to the Warchief's platform, holding the Captain’s head in his hand.

“Let me pass! I bear a gift for Warchief Mogg!” He demanded, the guards looked to each other, and smiled and let him pass. Ratbag approached the Warchief's podium, feeling excited. The Warchief sat over a table, overseeing maps, his head bowed. Ratbag slammed the head down on the table and saluted.

“Hail Warchief, glory be to the Dark Lord! I bring the gift of Uruk justice! Your false bodyguard here proved himself a miserable failure in his shameful attempt to take my life. He and all who served him died under my blade. But don't you worry, I volunteer to guard your side in his place! I, Ratbag, am at your service!” He raised his sword in the air and grinned.

The Warchief looked at the head and sat up stunned

“This is it, at last, true respect, true glory.” Ratbag thought confidently.

The Warchief stood up, allowing Ratbag to get a good look at his very familiar face. He dropped his sword with a gasp.

“Oh...”

The Warchief stared at Ratbag, seething with rage, his face exactly the same as the head Ratbag had placed on the table

He laughed nervously and shakily tried to back away. “N-n-n-now, W-W-Warchief, er...C-c-clearly there...there's been a huge misunderstanding...”

The Warchief pointed at him and roared, “SEIZE HIM!”

Ratbag got grabbed by the shoulders and sighed. “Some uruks just have all the bloody luck.”


“Got the exact same face as the dead maggot I just killed… we just killed. Twins!” He gave an awkward shrug. “What are the odds of..?!” He asked in disbelief as the man held a hand up.

“Just make sure you show up to take the place of the dead Warchief.”

“Uh, but the Warchief’s not dead.” The Orc countered.

“I’m going to kill him!” Talion replied with anger in his voice as he turned around.

“Oh, good plan! Uh, I’ll be right behind you.” Ratbag said in surprise and took the guard’s sword. The guard woke up but got quickly stabbed into the heart by Ratbag. “It works.”

The man looked at a platform, several meters high. “A training platform. Well we’ll see how the Warchief’s soldiers do in the face of a true foe.”

“Rattle a cage and bring out the beast.” The Elf replied before Talion climbed up.

“Up here. I know a good spot. Let's all keep out of harm's way, eh?” Ratbag offered and the kids nodded.

They saw two Orcs walking back and forth, both armed with 2 axes, being larger than the others and faces smeared in war paint. The group also saw Talion climbing along the ledge.

A white light blinked near one of the Orcs, he drew his weapons and walked near Talion to take a look, only to be stabbed into the chest and was thrown off the platform, without any guard noticing it.

The man then climbed up and the other Orc saw him, drawing his weapons to fight him. Talion tried to strike him, but the Orc blocked every attack.

Dinky then lit up her horn, firing a spell at the soldier, he stumbled as he got hit, being stunned. The Ranger used this to slice him into the throat, killing him.

After that, several voices echoed, shouting, “Mogg!” in a choir as the Warchief arrived at the platform, looking identical to the Captain, but his sword was on fire.

“The pain of my twin shall echo within you!” He yelled at the man in anger.

Dinky’s eyes and that of her friends went wide as Talion teleported around Mogg’s soldiers, killing them one by one until only he was left, making him roar in rage.

He charged at the Ranger, who blocked his attacks barely, blocking any attacks of him in return, like his Twin.

Nodding at each other, both unicorns fired spells at the same time, making him stumble. Talion used this to fire an arrow at his torso, he stumbled more, dropping on his knees.

As the man moved towards him, he said, “I am but one soldier of a great army.” And he clashed swords with him but Talion pushed him back and slit him across the neck, blood splattered as he died, all remaining Orcs fled in terror.

Ratbag then kicked the body to make sure he was dead, letting out an evil laugh. “Finally! Ratbag is Warchief!” He raised his arms in triumph. “Ranger! We did it!”

“Now honor our arrangement.” The man replied.

“Oh, don’t you worry. Warchief Ratbag’ll make sure nobody gets in the way of your dirty schemes. But Ratbag can’t speak for the other Warchiefs!” He warned.

“I wouldn’t worry about them.”

The foals looked away as Ratbag tried to cut one of Mogg’s ears. “Could I borrow your…?” He couldn’t finish as the Ranger left with the foals. “I need a sharper blade.”

The group left the stronghold ad Sweetie Belle asked, “What do we now?”

“In order to weaken Sauron, I have to take out the other Warchiefs. I appreciate your bravery, but this gets too dangerous for you.” He sounded slightly worried, though his expression was neutral.

Celebrimbor appeared. “I agree. They are quite brave for their age but we must ensure they are safe.” And vanished again.

The ponies looked at each other, Talion had a point. Mogg was heavily guarded and they had no idea how well the others were guarded.

“Okay, where are we going?” Scootaloo spoke for her friends.

“Back to the outcast camp, you will be safe there.”

“I don’t mind, Hirgon and his wife are quite a pleasant company.” Dinky commented before Talion suddenly let out a cry of pain.

The foals looked in surprise and shock as an arrow was stuck in his knee.

“You!” A voice called out and they saw an Orc armed with a crossbow walking towards them. His was puce and dirty and resembled some kind of snaggle-toothed chimpanzee with large, pointed ears. His matted brown hair tied into a knotty tail behind his head. His eyes were yellow and sunken around flat, fleshy bags. His armor was ramshackle, improvised scraps of metal, leather and bone, but his crossbow was in decent shape and, to Talion's horror, was pointed straight at them.

“Afternoon, Ranger. Me and the lads here have been meaning to invite you over for grog and disemboweling...Sadly, we’re all out of grog!” He said as Talion pulled the arrow out.

“Run!” The man yelled and the foals did as told, not looking back.

Dinky, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom eventually reached a cave and hid in it, seeing how Talion bravely stood his ground.

He blocked blades and dodged arrows, but it seemed his strength was waning fast, barely managing to keep his balance.

In the moment he spun to block a joint strike from two of the thugs at once, he jolted and fell as another arrow hit him squarely in the back.

He looked up as the Archer walked towards him. The Orc rammed the crossbow into his head and fired, blood splattered as Talion feel dead to the ground, leaving the kids to watch in shock.

The Archer spit on the body.

“Give my regards to the wife and son, you fly-ridden shrakh!”