• Published 16th Jul 2018
  • 737 Views, 45 Comments

Overgrowth - ezra09



One year after the events of Harmonics, Scootaloo, Thistleroot, and Mimic return to Greenhaven Grotto. Within the long sealed ruins of Libiris, ancient spirits vie for power and ancient grudges rise anew.

  • ...
1
 45
 737

Law

“So, I’ve finally gotten a chance to read through all this,” Thistleroot said, levitating the notes he’d been given in front of his face.

Scootaloo and Mimic had just finished unpacking. Neither had felt the need to bring more than a single bag, so it hadn’t taken long. The two had agreed to share one of the rooms on the right, across from Thistleroot’s. Rare Breed and Triplicate would be taking the two rooms on the left.

“I’m sure you’ve both considered the Librarian,” Thistleroot continued. “And by the looks of it, that’s who we’re dealing with. The description matches. A tall, stag-like creature with antlers, made of wood like a timberwolf. So, I guess somepony, I think Midlight mentioned Star Charmer, is poking around Libiris sometime after we leave and comes across him.”

Thistleroot frowned. “There are some things that don’t match up, though. Apparently Star Charmer tried to talk to him, but he didn’t answer. At least not verbally. He gestured and then vanished back into the woods. She wasn’t sure what he was trying to say.”

“That is weird,” Scootaloo admitted, frowning. “He didn’t have any problem talking before.”

“We still don’t know what happened to him after we left,” Mimic said. “We don’t know what it was that was waking up. Maybe he’s hurt or something.”

“It’s possible,” Thistleroot said, flipping through the notes again. “It’s also possible that the seal around Libiris did more than just keep the door closed. He was down there for a long time. Maybe he’s not doing so well now it’s opened back up.”

Scootaloo gulped. She hadn’t even considered that. If something happened, would that mean it was their fault for unsealing the place? “We should probably go find him. Sooner rather than later.”

“Yeah,” Thistleroot said. “First thing in the morning?” Scootaloo and Mimic nodded. “Alright. I’ll see you two in the morning, then.” He waved and left, closing the door behind him.

“G’night, Thistleroot,” Scootaloo said before hopping into her bed. “So, what do you think?”

“I don’t know,” Mimic said, straightening the blankets on her own bed. She pulled a small, stuffed animal, an orange fox, from her bag and set it beside the pillow. Scootaloo rolled her eyes, but didn’t bother asking. Mimic had refused to explain where the fox had come from several months before, probably because she knew the curiosity had been driving Scootaloo insane.

“There’s not much guessing will accomplish. We’ll learn more tomorrow.”

“I guess,” Scootaloo said, pulling the covers to her chin. “I hate waiting.”

“I know,” Mimic said. “So, after that’s all done, what else do you think we should do? For fun?”

“Right,” Scootaloo said, shifting on her side to look across the room at Mimic. “I almost forgot this is your first vacation. Hmm, I don’t think there’s any beaches around. We could probably find a lake nearby. Oh, when I was just a filly, Rainbow Dash and the girls took us camping to these waterfalls once.” And with that, Scootaloo launched into the story, and then another, brainstorming ideas with Mimic until they finally fell asleep.

*****

A sphinx sat unmoving, looking out over a small desert village. She was a light tan color, the same as the stone behind her, and in the dim light of the setting sun, she doubted any of the ponies below would have been able to see her.

The village had become one of her favorite places to sit and think. The ponies below were honest and hard working. Life there was simple. Each day peaceful. Orderly. Sadly, she was having trouble enjoying it at the moment, as her companion was anything but peaceful and orderly.

“You know, we haven’t really just hung out like this in eons,” Discord was saying, his mouth full of half chewed sandwich. “We really should do it more.”

“No, we should not.”

Discord shrugged and took another bite. “The sunsets are quite lovely up here. I can see why you like this place.”

The sphinx sighed. “What must I do to be rid of you?”

“Hmm,” Discord hummed, sounding slightly displeased. “Always right to business with you. Very well. I’m here to talk about my proposal. Have you considered it at all?”

“I have,” the sphinx answered. “It’s ridiculous, though that is to be expected, as it came from you.” She sighed. “What purpose could you possibly have for limiting our actions in such a way?” She looked to him for the first time, eyes narrowing in suspicion. “What angle are you playing? What advantage could you possibly gain through a mortal pawn that you don’t already have?”

Discord chuckled. “You’re always so refreshingly simple, Law. It’s not about what I gain, it’s about what I lose.”

The sphinx, Law, arched an eyebrow at that.

“I won last time, don’t you remember?” Discord said. “Surely you remember that hole I shoved you into.”

Law bared her teeth. “I have not forgotten.”

“How long did it take to break yourself free, once I was gone? Well, that hardly matters, it’s in the past, right?” Discord gave her his best winning smile. She fought back the urge to lunge for his throat. He was right after all. He’d already beaten her once.

“I want it to be a challenge this time,” Discord said. “I want to level the playing field and see who comes out on top. I’m not the only one.” Discord held one arm out and with a flip of the wrist a long piece of paper unrolled in his grip.

Law looked at it for a moment, eyes widening. “A contract? You? Are you trying to unmake yourself?”

“Oh, don’t be silly,” Discord said. “I didn’t write it. I wouldn’t even know where to begin.”

Law looked back down at the contract, reading more carefully. The language was familiar, as was the subtle sense of magic emanating from the page. “I see. This is Trader’s work. He’s working with you then?”

“He’s working for himself,” Discord answered. “It just so happened that our interests aligned for a brief moment.”

Law nodded and continued reading. After a few more moments, a small frown tugged at the corner of her mouth.

“Of course, you’re free to refuse,” Discord said.

No, she wasn’t, she thought. Of course not. Part of the agreement was to use their magic to prevent any of them from entering or interfering, even those that hadn’t signed. She could try to do things her own way, but rather than going up against just one of her equals, she’d be going against all of them.

On the other paw, none of the others could interfere either. She couldn’t bring herself to trust Discord, but if he had willingly bound himself to one of Trader’s deals, there was only so much he could do.

“It will be impossible for any eternal spirit to affect a mortal creature with magic while in area specified. Not just those chosen as our,” she paused, checking again for the wording used by the contract, “mortal champions?”

Discord nodded. “Unless you have permission from the creature. Trader made sure to put that loophole in. That’s just to keep things honest. No holding somepony’s friends hostage, right?”

“And these two names beside those of the signers. These are the names of their chosen mortals?”

Discord nodded again. “Yours will be added, once you choose one. If you sign, of course.”

Law looked at the list of signatures. Six others had signed, and two had already chosen mortal pawns. “I would prefer to keep things simple, but I can see that won’t be an option so long as you’re involved. Very well, if you insist on resting the fate of the world on a game, I have no choice.” She reached toward the page and drew a claw against it. At the bottom of the page, beneath the short list of names, her own appeared.

Discord snapped his talons and the contract vanished, presumably back to Trader for safe keeping. “You are free to tell your chosen champion as little or as much as you want, depending on how much you trust them, with one exception. You can't tell them the names of other champions.”

Of course, Law thought. The others would tell their champions the bare minimum, for fear of being betrayed. They would choose champions as lawless and conniving as they were. It was their nature.

“Well, I should be going,” Discord said.

“Good. Begone then.”

“Oh, always such a joker,” Discord said with a chuckle. He snapped again and was gone.

Law closed her eyes, thankful for the silence that followed. There was more to his game. There always was with Discord, even if she couldn’t see it just yet. Something about this mortal champion, maybe? Some edge that others wouldn’t have.

She stood, wings spreading, and leapt into the air. The answer was simple, as any good answer would be. She would learn, first. She would understand the situation and proceed. She would move carefully, steadily, without error, for that was who she was, and, this time, it would be her above all others.

But first, she would learn more about this mortal pony Discord had chosen as his champion in the coming war. She would learn more about this Scootaloo.