• Published 7th Aug 2018
  • 9,793 Views, 2,068 Comments

The Bug In The Basement - Skijarama



A changeling egg is left in the human world by its mother in a last-ditch effort to save it.

  • ...
22
 2,068
 9,793

PreviousChapters
Epilogue

The moon was high in the sky, and somewhere in the distance, an owl hooting could just be heard. The grounds in front of Canterlot High School were absolutely still, save for the young man sitting on the front steps, his head down to stare at a collection of photographs held in his hands.

It had been a few hours since Beebee passed through the portal at this point, and everyone else had returned to their respective homes long ago. Sunset had been the first to depart, leaving the friends and family of Beebee to their privacy. Scootaloo had gone next, seemingly uncomfortable with the depressing atmosphere. Sweetie and Apple Bloom followed soon after, leaving together in an attempt to comfort one another.

Fluttershy had stuck around the longest, sitting with Eventide for almost an hour after he went back to his car and retrieved the photos. He had brought along a copy of every single picture of Beebee he had ever taken. Fluttershy had asked about a few she hadn’t seen before, and the two had talked in whispers for quite sometime before the animal enthusiast had to head home herself.

Now, Eventide was all alone. He flipped the top photo to the bottom of the stack, finding himself at the beginning all over again. His eyes lingered on that picture, a photo of Beebee sleeping soundly in Fluttershy’s lap. They’d still been living in the old house, back then. As he thought of it, a rush of memories came over him, and he was not able to stop that sad sigh that slipped out of him.

“How are you feeling?”

Eventide jumped, startled, and looked up. To his surprise, Fluttershy stood not far away, her hands clasped behind her back and a worried look on her face. “Wha... Fluttershy?” he asked in a croak before clearing his throat. “What are you doing here? I thought you were going home to get some sleep.”

Fluttershy looked down, idly brushing her foot along the pavement. “I couldn’t sleep… and I remembered how upset you were when I left, so I thought I’d come and check on you.”

“How did you even know I’d still be here?”

She smiled at him and walked over. She sat down next to him on the steps, her eyes glued on the portal. “I didn’t, but… I figured you probably would be,” she explained before glancing sideways at him. “I know how long things can take with you, sometimes.”

Eventide managed a snort of amusement at that before shaking his head. “Eh, fair enough, I suppose,” he grumbled before his eyes settled on the portal. “Well… to answer your question… I feel like garbage.”

Fluttershy hummed, leaning into his side. “I’m sorry… is there anything I can do?”

Eventide sighed and shook his head. “I dunno… just… sit with me for a while, I guess. I could use some company right now,” he explained quietly, subconsciously draping an arm over her shoulders to pull her closer.

“Okay… I can do that.”

The two fell into a long, companionable silence after that. Fluttershy looked up into the night sky, her eyes catching sight of the moon, half full, snaking its way across the sky. Eventide, meanwhile, kept his eyes trained intently on the portal, his mind wandering.

“I’m gonna miss him,” he suddenly stated, making Fluttershy look down at him again. His eyes were starting to mist up again, and the beginnings of emotional tremors could be felt in his body.

She sighed and pressed herself into his side a little more. “I know… I’m gonna miss him, too.”

“I just… when I go home, he isn’t going to be with me. I’m gonna wake up in the morning, and he won’t be down in the basement, waiting for me to hug him for breakfast. He won’t be playing w-with Buddha, or napping with her on the chair or the couch, and… and…” he rambled on, the trembling in his voice getting worse the more he went on.

Fluttershy suddenly leaned away from him, using her hand to lightly grab his chin and turn it to face her. She looked into his eyes for several long seconds, her expression unreadable. “Eventide,” she whispered before reaching behind her with her other hand.

“Fluttershy…?”

Suddenly, she leaned back and pulled her hand back, revealing a thick, leather-bound book. It had a symbol of a black heart with a green glow surrounding it emblazoned on the front cover and a honeycomb pattern around the outer edges. She presented it to him, a warm smile spreading on her face. “Here.”

Eventide blinked, confused. “Wha… What’s this?” he asked, reaching out and lightly taking the book in his hands. It was heavier than he was expecting, and he could tell that it was hand-made. He turned it over, studying it, before opening it up to examine the contents. To his surprise, every page was blank.

“I asked Sunset to get it made before you and Beebee went through the first time,” Fluttershy explained softly, and Eventide’s mind briefly wandered back to that day. He did recall seeing Fluttershy talking to Sunset in hushed voices as he had pulled up in the car. “I would have given it to you earlier, but I had to wait for the other one.”

“What do you mean, ‘other one?’” Eventide asked, baffled at this turn of events. But then a memory came to him, of Sunset Shimmer writing into a journal much like this one, and replies magically appearing on the pages. His eyes went wide as the realization clicked into place, and his jaw fell open. “Wait… Fluttershy… is this?”

She reached into her pocket and withdrew a simple ballpoint pen. She held it out to him and smiled. “Say hello.”

Eventide stared at the pen for several seconds, his brain trying to catch up and his heart daring to hope. Hesitantly, he took the pen in his hand and turned back to the first page, finding it just as empty as all the others. He licked his suddenly dry lips, and put the pen to the parchment, slowly writing out a simple message.

“Hello? Beebee?”

Several seconds passed in silence.

And then the page lit up with a gentle light, a response writing itself out below what he had written. His eyes widened, recognizing that horn-writing anywhere.

“Dad?”

Eventide just stared for a second, blinking a few times to see if what he was staring at was a hallucination. But it wasn’t. The word remained on the page, staring back at him as proof.

“I… Fluttershy, I…” he choked out, a whole new wave of tears rolling down his cheeks. With a strangled sound, something between an overjoyed laugh and a sob, he practically threw himself against her, pulling her into a bone crushing hug. He buried his face into her shoulder, weeping tears of joy. “Th-thank you… thank you…”

Fluttershy didn’t say anything. She just returned the hug as tight as she could, a serene smile on her lips. After a few seconds, Eventide pulled back, smiling at her. He then reached down and picked up the book and pen. He sniffled, wiped a hand over his eyes to dispel his tears, and got to writing. All the while, Fluttershy rested comfortably against his side, her eyes trained on the page.

And that was how they stayed. The young man and his childhood friend sat together on the front steps of the school they had shared when they were young, talking to the child that they had raised together.

And they were happy.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 116 )

It's been a wild ride.
Glad I got pulled along for it.
😏

That was fun! I approve.

ok but
sequel perhaps?
or at least a one-shot, maybe a bonus chapter or two
i wanna see how beebee's doing on the other side
also i wanna see him interact with ocellus(and maybe the rest of the student six)

this was beautiful man

9669668

The saying goodbye but made me cry so much I could hardly read.

Excellent, I did my job.

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

Hard to remember sometimes just how young Eventide is.

It has been an honor and I am proud to say you have created a story that has warmed my heart time and time again. Thank you for the amazing story and I will be delighted to add this creative wonder to my Silver Standard Library post haste. It deserves nothing less after taking me on such an emotional roller coaster.

Looking forward to more in the future, and I'll see you next chapter,
Shadow Quill, Messenger of the Moon.

I have no words.... Just tears
65 chapters over almost 1 year, i was engaged the whole time, id upvote this again if i could
Thank you for the story, see you soon

Bravo! Getting ready for a wedding later today (not mine) so I can’t go into as much detail as I want to. But all the same, bravo! This was an excellent, emotional read, and I enjoyed it the whole way through. Most of the way through. Okay, I admit that while playing catch-up I may have skimmed over one or two chapters just a tad in the middle, around when Beebee was learning magic (telekinesis, that is, not shapeshifting). But still, I was hooked in the beginning and I have no regrets about the end.

Also I can’t believe I forgot about the friendship journal! Kicking myself now as that should have been obvious.

Also I’d like to echo calls for, if not a sequel, then at least a brief follow-up. I wanna know Beebee’s thoughts when he meets Thorax, or Pharynx, or Ocellus. Or really just of the Hive in general.

And so the beginning of the story of BeeBee the Basement Bug comes to an end.

Poor Budah. I really hope Beebee gets back at least in time. Tomorrow she is going to be so lonely. :fluttercry:

9669676
Sorry, but I have no plans for a sequel at this time. I do have an idea for another line in the 'Bug in the X' series of stories lined up, but it's pretty far down the list. I have another story I gotta finish first.

9669763
I can't wait to see what it is.
😉

JMP

This is a great compromise. I didn't think about the possibility of making another set of journals. Beebee will get the both worlds like this. He'll get to learn how to properly be a changeling, but he can still keep in touch with the people who raised him. Great story! It was originally posted on my birthday last year so I suppose that's good luck.

Thank you for the wonderful story.

Very rarely do I find myself moved by a story. This was everything anyone could want as we were able to connect with relatable characters and walk with them, laughing as they laugh and crying as they cry.

:twilightsmile:This is in my favorites and unlike many hundred others it will stay there.

Thank you for giving us an actual happy ending.


Unlike some people!

That was...a sad ending. To be honest, I would prefer the story to be left unfinished than finished like that.

That was a beautiful story

Cries Hysterically. Congratulations and Thank you for finishing such a wonderful story!

What to put here.... The story was awesome, the ending bittersweet. *closes book*

😔You want more huh? Well. I hate the ending. No no, don't run away and think I'm a horrible reader! :twilightoops::rainbowlaugh: I just hate it because as some have said, some have said, the ending would have sucked either way. This way just hits hardest because of 67 chapters of bonding. It does make sense. Children eventually leave home. We just... didn't want it to be so soon. *hugs both* I don't hold the choices against either one.

Eventide might be a parent, but no matter how much some people *coughmecough* might leap at the chance to go to Equestria, it doesn't fit Eventide's personality as established. While leaping to find out more of his homeland does fit Beebee's. He's been asking questions for a while now, and has desired a mom for a while, worse with the EvenFlutter ship solidly never setting sail. As sad as it is, it is the believable ending for this story.

But... it's still sad. It's just... so sad. I can only take solace in the day Beebee will come home to tell his first Dad all about what he's learned.

Excellent, the build up with the parents was to tie Eventide to the human side, and I kinda forgot about the book, never expected for him to have one.
Very satisfying ending, no out of place last minute drama, instead we get a very happy and fulfilling ending.
I knew from day one this story would have lots of potential to be a good slice of life, and congratulations for not shoving the" easy character building" way out that is pairing or romance, even if the hints are there, that's what they are; hints.
I'm impressed, really, 200k words and it didn't devolve at all.
Fantastic story.

Well that's a viable ending, i am thankful it did not end in endless buckets of tears.

Its still a bit sad that some parts of the story remained mostly on surface level,
Eventides parents kinda got the short stick, i was secretly hoping for some family interaction, maybe even adding the changeling parents to the mix. Then there is the relation building between Eventide and Fluttershy as well as Beebee and Applebloom, both felt a bit superficial for me.

Anyway i still enjoyed the read and i think the ending is one of the most important parts of a story, thanks for delivering a proper one.

Damnit, Skijarama, you did it again. The onions have been sliced.

In all honesty, though, the journal is definitely the most obvious choice to continue contact between the two of them.

This was worth every single second of reading. You made me feel for this family, and ship Beebee and Applebloom together.

Keep up the great writing.:twilightsmile:

Yay! Updates! :yay:

*sees chapter named “Epilogue”*

Oh...

Well, it’s been a great ride with you guys. Let’s end this with some last feelsies. Probably damage my heart more in the process.

AHhhHhhHHhh sO cUtE

And thus ends the story. Honestly, I don't see the point in a sequel unless you have a REALLY good idea for it. This was nice. :)

Well, I’m crying. This was really good, and I kinda didn’t want it to end. But it did, and I think it ended perfectly.

9669856
Do I know this person? Because if so...see, everyone else? It’s not just me who brings it up.

So good. Much happiness from this motorcycle-riding brony. I had a feeling it would end this way, but it was wrapped up so sweetly that it had just the right balance of bitter and sweet. And now I'm gushing.

9670307

You can't expect him to not only change his species, but also cut off his parents right after he's begun to patch things up with them.

Why not?

#1: Isn't Eventide's son more important, then the shape of Eventide's body?

#2: Wouldn't Eventide's parents understand, if he has to leave them to take care of his son?

My heart was aggressively trying to patch itself together again before you goddamn did it AGAIN. Your grinchness stabbed a couple different knifes into my heart then rushed my heart to the ER where it barely lived and then gave me an experimently healing potion that would make me cry for a couple hours.

9670358
If they were at all sincere about understanding how they fucked up as parents, they'd absolutely understand he has to prioritize his child.

I haven’t been this close to tears since I read the obituaries for Opportunity. My eyes are filled with liquid pride.

9670358
Don’t forget he’d also be changing his diet, his culture, his job, his home, his citizenship, his government, his society, you get the idea.

As for his parents, he would be telling them that he has to walk through a statue at the local high school to go to a magical horse land to take care of a tiny bug-horse that he illegally adopted after it hatched from a giant egg he found under a tree in the backyard. Nobody would understand that.

9670591
Why would Eventide or Beebee have to give up their citizenship? You don't lose citizenship (at least American citizenship), just because you move to another country.

And I thought in a previous chapter: Eventide's parents met their grandson, and learned that he was bug-boy from another dimension. Why wouldn't they understand that Eventide needs to go to that dimension, to take care of him?

9670599
They met a black border collie that never spoke a word.

Okay, I'm pissed. Not because you went and suckerpunched me right in the feels or anything like that, though. No, I'm pissed because this beautiful story came to an end. Well played, man. Well played...

9670607
Oh. Guess I was misremembering. But hopefully by now: Eventide's told them that they're grandparents. Seems like that's something they should know.

Plus: Eventide really ought to have someone older in his life, who can give him some guidance when it comes to parenting. He's just a young man, and Fluttershy's just a young woman. Young adults raising a child completely on their own, that's not the best idea.

Scratches comment on last chapter out. sixty chapters and we finally get a pen pal... To his dad. :facehoof:
Really sweet though. Everything seems to be in order.
It was a fun ride!

9670358
They don't even know he has a son...

Edit: 9670621 yeah, he never told them.

Yet another chapter in a story that shows just how hard it is to get me to tear up, yes it is sad, yes I know this, but sad goodbyes don’t normally get my tears. But this story doesn’t have to worry about that, because it has already made it to that bookshelf of mine (or at least I thought it had, checking seems to suggest it hasn’t even though I remember it qualifying)

a perfect story or is it a amazing story i do know i love it. :heart:

A wonderful story with a bittersweet ending. Thank you for writing this.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."


Also, I wouldn't call it over, just moving on.

Now it's time for the adventures of the basement bug from the human world in Equestria. And speaking of Adventure. I wonder if BeeBee, in his six years cooped up at the house, marathoned things like Adventure Time.

*Five minutes into the Changeling Hive in Equestria...*

BeeBee: "Adventure time! Come on grab your friends! We go to very... Distant lands. With Jake the Dog and Finn the Human the fun will never end, It's Adventure Time!"


I can see BeeBee just being a walking human pop-culture machine from all the television he had to have absorbed.

And video games.

Five minutes at the hive...

BeeBee: "It's dangerous to go alone take this! --{:::::::::::::::::>"

Ocellus: "Take what?"

BeeBee: Oh, sorry, I was lost in thought. What's your name?

Magnificent. Thank you sir, for writing such an amazing story; I can tell it was a labor of love. This is getting downloaded to my digital library. God bless you for making such wholesome works!

Login or register to comment