• Published 7th Aug 2018
  • 9,796 Views, 2,068 Comments

The Bug In The Basement - Skijarama



A changeling egg is left in the human world by its mother in a last-ditch effort to save it.

  • ...
22
 2,068
 9,796

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: Green Light

Earlier that day…

“Where is your new job?” Beebee asked Eventide with a tilt of his head, hovering next to the young man’s shoulder. It was morning, and Eventide was getting ready to depart for his new job. Presently, he was stuffing things into a backpack.

“It’s a ways out of town,” He responded while placing a water bottle into the backpack alongside a sandwich wrapped in plastic wrap. “I’m going to have to take the bus, and it’s not the shortest drive in the world. So, I’m going to be gone longer than I would at my old job,” Eventide finished before stuffing one last thing, the photo of Beebee resting in Fluttershy’s lap, into the backpack, so it was right next to the new camera.

“Oh…” Beebee’s ears drooped at the news, but he quickly perked back up as an idea came to him. “So, does that mean that Aunt Fluttershy is coming over to babysit?” he asked hopefully, his eyes lighting up at the prospect.

Eventide sighed and gave a slow shake of his head. “Sorry, Bee, but no. She’s got school today, and then she has a few assignments she has to work on and get done. Her grades have been dropping lately, so she needs to focus on that…” he explained before zipping the backpack closed. “She’ll come in and check on you during lunch, but other than that…”

Again, Beebee’s ears drooped. He drifted forward a few inches and put one of his hooves on Eventide’s shoulder. “Dada… does that mean I’m gonna be alone in the house again?” he asked in an anxious voice.

“You won’t be alone,” Eventide said gently while standing up and taking Beebee’s hoof in his hands. “Buddha’s gonna be right here with you the entire time.”

“Okay, but… we’ll be alone. And the last time we were alone, Apple Bloom saw me…”

Eventide frowned in understanding, and he gave a slow nod. “Yeah, I understand… I’ll close up the blinds when I go. Stay away from the windows, and if you think someone you don’t know is getting too close, then go down to your room and stay there until either Fluttershy, or I gets here.”

Beebee nodded reluctantly. “Okay…” he mumbled, still clearly very anxious.

Eventide gave him a reassuring smile, then reached out with his free arm and pulled Beebee close against his chest in a warm embrace. Beebee eagerly returned the hug, happily drinking in all of the love that Eventide was radiating. After a minute or two, though, Eventide pulled back and withdrew his phone from his pocket.

He cringed in dismay when the screen blinked on. “Oh, that’s… uh,” turning the screen off, he shoved the phone back into his pocket and picked up the backpack. “I gotta go, or I’m gonna miss the bus. Behave yourself, be nice to Buddha and stay safe, alright Beebee?” he said in a rushed voice while putting his arms through the straps.

Beebee nodded and smiled up at him. “Okay, Dada. I will, I promise!”

Eventide nodded, leaned over and put a quick kiss on Beebee’s forehead. “Alright, I’m off. Later, Bee. I love you,” he said before turning and making his way for the door at a brisk pace.

Beebee waved at him as he went, smiling as wide as he could. “I’ll see you later, Dada! I love you, too!” he called after his father.

Eventide flashed him one more smile before pulling open the door and stepping outside. With an echoing thunk, the door swung closed, leaving Beebee all on his own with Buddha in the house.

He hovered there for a while, his eyes locked on the door. He could just make out Eventide’s footfalls for a moment, before all was silent. Then, with a quiet sigh, he lowered himself back down to the floor. Touching down gently, he lightly scuffed his hoof over the carpet before blowing out a puff of air from between his lips.

He was already bored.


The seconds slowly ticked away, gradually turning into minutes, and eventually into hours. Beebee did his level best to entertain himself in that time, and for a while, at least, he was successful. He found Buddha napping on Eventide’s bed where she did not belong, and so he tackled her in the side. The two had then played for a while, chasing each other around the house and generally roughhousing. They stopped when they bumped into the table, though, as they almost knocked it over.

After that, Beebee had spent a few minutes just wandering around, poking things and exploring some of the more isolated corners of the house. He had been surprised to find a big ball of dust behind the bathroom sink, and had gasped with excitement upon discovering it.

He then spent the next five minutes sneezing, as his gasp had caused the dust to be sucked up into his nose.

Once his nostrils and lungs were sufficiently cleaned of the invader, he went to the living room chair, sat down, and tried to turn on the TV. He knew that the remote was the key to make the magic box work, as he had seen Eventide use it a lot. But, sadly, Beebee had never been shown which button specifically to push. More than that, his hooves were less than ideal for pushing these tiny buttons.

He did eventually get the sucker turned on, but he had no idea what to do from there to change the channel to the one he liked. He must have wasted twenty minutes pushing buttons, looking at weird boxes that inserted themselves over whatever commercial that was, and watching weird bars change size and color every so often. Eventually, he gave up and fiddled with the remote until he successfully turned the TV off.

With his boredom mounting at an exceptionally rapid rate, Beebee let out a long, low groan. “Uuuuuugh… I’m. So. BORED!” he loudly declared to the heavens. When nothing answered him, he turned and made his way over to Buddha, who was currently in the process of nibbling on what little remained of her breakfast from earlier that morning. “Buuuddhaa… I’m booooored,” he whined to the dog, hoping that maybe they could play again.

Buddha glanced at him while licking her chops. The two made eye contact for a minute or two before Buddha went back to her food, leaving Beebee’s hunt for fun unfulfilled. Beebee grumbled to himself before spinning on his hooves and heading down to his room. He had toys down there. He could play with them.

Once he entered his room, he flew up to the roof and pulled the chain that turned on the light. With everything lit, he turned and started scanning the floor for any loose toys he had left strewn about. He let out a happy little gasp when he spotted his favorite ant plushie in the middle of the floor, belly-up. He thought back on the name he had given in, rubbed his hooves together, and shot down.

“Hey, Wuvvy!” he greeted the plushy once his hooves were on the floor. “We’re gonna go on an adventure! You and me!” He grinned widely and lifted the plushie in his hooves. “We’re gonna have so much fun until Dada gets… gets…”

Everything stopped.

Beebee’s eyes became glued onto the floor where Wuvvy had been. Or, rather, glued onto the terrifying creature that had nefariously used the floor under Wuvvy as a hiding place.

It was horrible.

It was terrible.

It looked right back at him, making his heart beat frantically and his blood as cold as the Arctic. Beebee swallowed heavily and drifted back a few inches in the air, a bead of cold sweat forming on his brow. The horror followed him with its many shiny eyes, never looking away, never blinking, and otherwise remaining completely immobile.

Beebee waited with bated breath for the eight-legged monster to do something.

And so it did.

The spider lifted up one of its legs in a gesture that looked vaguely like a wave.

Beebee screamed at the top of his lungs.

Reacting purely out of instinct, Beebee hurled Wuvvy at the spider as hard as he could. Sadly, in his panic, he lost control of his flight. His wings fell out of synch, and he fell to the floor, landing on his rump with a loud ‘oof!’ He shook his head and looked up, spying the spider as it crawled out from under his improvised throwing weapon.

Beebee then began to scoot back on the floor in terror, his eyes wide and his breath coming in heaving gasps. The spider wasn’t fairing much better, as it had just been suddenly assaulted by a flying stuffed animal. It, too, was scuttling away as quickly as its eight spindly little legs would allow it, desperate for escape and safety.

The worst part, is for it, ‘away’ meant heading for the stairs… which Beebee was in the way of.

“Ew, ew, ew, get away!” Beebee shouted at it before his wings buzzed back into life, sending him rocketing up to the pull-chain for the room’s one and only active light. His hooves wrapped around the chain, but he underestimated his momentum. With a click, he accidentally pulled on the chain, and the room went dark.

“No no! Please don’t get dark!” Beebee cried in desperation, trying to yank on the chain again so he could have some light. Sadly, between his outright panic and the rather perturbing lack of fingers on his hooves, he was unable to mimic the actions that had plunged the room into green-tinged darkness.

Wait a tick...

Green?

Beebee went rigid, his eyes going wide in surprise. Something was lighting up his room in a deep green hue… something coming from him. “...Huh?” Beebee wondered, the spider all but forgotten as this new mystery took hold of his thoughts.

There were several seconds of tense, thoughtful silence before he noticed something unusual. There was a tingling sensation on his horn, and there was something inside of him… well, sort of. He didn’t know how to describe it, but… it was like there was a tiny green flame there, in his chest, flickering and waving about in tandem with his heartbeat.

As his fear faded away and his heart rate decreased, the flame sputtered and faded into non-existence, the tingling on his horn ceased, and the green glow in the room faded away into total darkness, save for the much softer blue light afforded by his glowing eyes. Beebee just stayed there for a second, trying to wrap his head around what had happened.

The door to the bedroom suddenly opened, sending light streaming in and eliciting a startled shout from Beebee. His grip on the chain was lost, and he fell back to the floor with a thud and a loud grunt. Dazed, he was only vaguely aware of a familiar pair of gentle hands scooping him up.

Then he saw Fluttershy’s face looking down at him in concern, framed from behind by the light from upstairs. “Oh, dear! Beebee, are you okay? Are you hurt? You just fell from pretty high up,” she asked in concern, one of her hands briefly leaving Beebee to yank on the chain and turn on the lights.

Beebee blinked, then relaxed with a relieved sigh. He snuggled deeper into Fluttershy’s embrace and nodded. “I’m okay,” he said plainly. “Aunt Fluttershy… I’m glad you’re here…”

Fluttershy smiled softly while rocking the little guy back and forth. “I’m happy to see you, too,” she cooed before her smile was replaced with a worried frown. “But what were you doing down here with the lights off? I know your eyes glow, and you have better night vision then we do, but it’s not that much better, is it?” she questioned while carrying Beebee back up the stairs.

Beebee blushed slightly in embarrassment but answered her question all the same. “I didn’t mean to be in the dark. I was bored and wanted to play with Wuvvy, so I went downstairs and picked him up, and there was this really big and ugly spider under him, so I panicked and threw Wuvvy at it, but it crawled at me, and I got scared and flew to the chain thingy to get away, and I pulled it by accident, and it got dark...” he explained in one, long, uninterrupted spiel before sneaking an anxious glance at the floor. “Is he still down there…?”

Fluttershy froze in place mid-step and looked down. A small smile spread on her face, and she nodded. “Aaw, he’s not that big. And he’s actually quite pretty…” she said before gently releasing Beebee, whose wings immediately buzzed into life. He would opt to stay in the air, thank you very much.

Moving smoothly and gently, Fluttershy lowered herself down into a crouching position while extending her palm out in front of the spider, seemingly unphased by it. “Hey there, little guy. You’re not supposed to be inside,” she called in a quiet voice, holding incredibly still.

“Aunt Fluttershy, No!” Beebee weakly protested, reaching out with his hooves as if to stop her, then putting the hooves over his mouth to try and stifle the sound of his nervous chirping and chittering.

His fears were unfounded, though, as the Spider dutifully crawled up onto Fluttershy’s hand and stood still. She rose back to a standing position and turned to show him to Beebee. “See? He’s not so bad,” she began, then paused when she looked up and found that Beebee was on the other side of the room, pressing himself into the corner of the ceiling. “Beebee?”

“Nope! I don’t wanna meet the nice spider, it’s okay!” he said in a jittery voice while shaking his head.

Fluttershy giggled in amusement. “Alright… I just think it’s a little unfair of you to be so scared of him. You are both bugs, aren’t you?” she pointed out in a teasing voice, giving Beebee pause.

“But… eight legs… so many eyes... he looks so creepy…” Beebee protested in a weaker voice. However, despite his reservations, he was slowly coming away from the corner.

“Yes, and you looked like a giant slimy grub when you hatched from your egg,” Fluttershy reminded him with a coy grin. “But we didn’t let how you looked sway our opinion of you. Eventide took you in as his son, and I help him take care of you however I can, even though you’re a bug and we’re not.”

Beebee let out a huff of air as he conceded the point. Slowly and uneasily, he drifted forwards until he was only a foot away from Fluttershy’s hand. He looked down at the spider, who looked back up at him with barely hidden displeasure. The dull red light seeping off of the spider and putting a foul taste in the air added to the message. Beebee swallowed hard and gave a sheepish grin. “Uh… I’m sorry I threw Wuvvy at you…”

The red decreased, if only slightly.

Fluttershy gave a big smile. “See? He’s not so scary.”

Beebee didn’t look convinced, but he nodded all the same. “I guess…”

Fluttershy just giggled and then went back up the stairs, probably to put the spider somewhere outside. Beebee stayed behind in the basement, though, and turned back around to look at his room. His face screwed up as he thought back on that green light that had filled his room, and he found himself growing more and more curious by the second.

He absently reached up to the pull-chain and gave it a quick yank with his mouth, plunging the room back into darkness.

Author's Note:

Credit for the name Wuvvy goes to Tom117z.

PreviousChapters Next