• Published 20th Oct 2018
  • 9,205 Views, 568 Comments

A Sparkle in the Darkness - tom117z



Following the return of the Crystal Empire, Twilight begins some intensive research into the history of the Empire and its late king. What she finds changes everything she knows about herself.

  • ...
18
 568
 9,205

31 - Epilogue

Sometime later…



The air was colder, colder than any mortal could bear, but the presence cared not. It wasn’t even truly there. No, it looked on from another plain. The dark place, darker than even it, banished there by the foolish meddlers who stole what was rightfully its. There it festered and watched and shouted and raved even as nothing could exist to hear it but itself. An eternal torment of nothing, but even eternity had its limits.

It watched. It waited. It would return to the world of light as it had done before, but this time it would be more careful. It would not underestimate the meddlers again, oh no. It would silently plan and wait for its best opportunity, waiting to plunge the world back into the darkness that rightfully belonged.

And, perhaps, one such opportunity yet roamed the Frozen North alongside the unseen presence. It was dark, like it was, but still of the moral plain. A pony? Yes, but… different. Touched by darkness and yet with the taint of the light starting to creep in. Subtle, careful, but it was there. A blighted tumour on what could have once been great, growing and threatening to overturn all that was.

But that could be corrected.

The presence could do nothing as it was, but it would wait further still. This being could be used, this pony a vessel unlike any other. So much spite and hatred, it would be a simple matter to destroy the glimmer of the light once contact was made. But its power was also great, and maybe its mind too. Great care would have to be taken, lest it be the one overpowered and again left as nothing.

But it still had eternity, and it would continue to watch and plan from within the depths of the nothing.

But why was this being of great darkness alone and wandering, it had to wonder. What brought it here? It would watch, it would study, it would learn.

The pony in question moved as a shadow itself across the wintery wasteland, swirling amidst the blizzard without a care as to its dangers. It moved across the icy landscape, ignoring any of the resident creatures and eventually made its way to a frozen hillside that overlooked a place that even the presence could not see into.

The Crystal Empire, the heart that protected it from any blackness that would provide a threat. And it was from this hillside that King Sombra sat alone as he looked out upon the city of his birth, his eyes stern as the consequence of entering the city played back through his mind.

He still had half a mind to try anyway, to rid himself of this tormenting exile imposed upon himself and take back his domain. It would be glorious, the slaves that were rightfully his bowing before him as that little pink princess and her brutish prince with the most decedent of his family line’s genes vacated his throne.

But as quickly as he mused such an action, it was swept from his mind almost as if by the turbulent blizzard around him. He could plan around the Crystal Heart; he had done so before. It was still within his power to take back his kingdom… But his heart was no longer in it. Even the most fleeting of thoughts as to the matter brought with it images of a certain lavender alicorn and the inevitable tears that would take her cheeks. That thought filled the dark mage with a regret like no other, sharing in the hypothetical pain he would bring upon Twilight Sparkle should he go back on his promise.

But, much to his indignation, that was no longer the sole reason. Such thoughts now also brought about the invasive point of view his granddaughter had tried so hard to drill into him. And now he wondered if such lengths to protect her were ever justified, if he could ever have reached a happy ending for any of them with the path he had chosen. That his actions had been wrong.

Sombra growled, violently shaking his head to rid himself of such a weak belief. That throne should have been THEIRS. He was their KING. Why should he care what happened to those who got in his way? They mattered not, only the safety of he and those he held close.

But what if she had been right? What if his lack of care to the fates of those under him had ultimately doomed his own happiness and the safety of his family from the outset? What if her words even had a semblance to the truth? Could friendship actually… be something worth considering?

N-no, that was ridiculous. It was a fantasy. A farce. Something that would always end in failure.

But when had his own path ever succeeded?

Long had these questions been plaguing the King's mind. Running through his head again and again, thinking back on his last encounter with Twilight and even beforehand. She had always been so confident in her assertions, infuriatingly so. And, in the end, her selflessness had defeated his selfishness. Even her fall to Midnight had been born out of a desire to protect the many rather than dominate for the safety of the few. And she was out there, a Princess of Equestria both happy and content with her choices. The ‘Princess of Friendship’ as she was now known. How sickeningly fitting.

Most of all, his greatest desire was just to speak with her again. He had always watched her, but never intervened since the day he sent her that necklace as a final loving gesture.

He had come close a few times. Very close. Mere months after he had departed, that arrogant centaur had tried to eat all magic in Equestria to feed his own ego. He had been quite proud of her combat prowess as she fought him, but to see her give it all up had seemed like valid justification for all his defiance towards friendship. She had lost because of her friends… or so it seemed.

Before he had finally had enough and attacked this ‘Lord Tirek’, she had surprised him yet again. Friendship… won. She and her friends had emerged with more magical power than Sombra had ever imagined, easily swatting the fiend aside and undoing all he had wrought.

And it wasn’t the last time.

The anti-cutie mark cult and the one who had become her personal student of all things. Another who sought power, not unlike Sombra himself, to heal old wounds caused by a failure of friendship. Another who Twilight had changed, making the mare all the happier for it.

Starlight Glimmer’s change of heart had really caused the storm within Sombra to increase in its intensity.

Then there were the changelings. That Queen of theirs had rejected their offer of redemption, just like Sombra, and so too had vanished into the wilderness. For one who was so used to being in a hive of many, he could only imagine she was in a living hell with madness clawing at her mind. Meanwhile, the changelings she left behind were more prosperous than they’d ever been.

Twilight had even saved that old fool Starswirl. She had surpassed every expectation he held towards his descendant.

And she had accomplished all of this without resorting to complete control. She had protected everything she had cared for, where he had failed at every turn. Their family line would be safe to continue because of her actions, her path under the light of friendship had done more for her than the dark ever could. Shadow was still a part of her, sure. She wore his gift and he could feel that power inside her even from afar. But all she had she used for the benefit of others, even her dark magic was put towards the light’s use.

How could this be!? How could she have been right!? He had tasted friendship in his past and it led to weakness and misery! What had he done wrong? What trickery was this!?

And how could he, the King of Shadows himself, conqueror of the Crystal Empire and killer of both Queen Amore and the great Hurricane, even be considering returning to try it for himself!?

Sombra gave a shout of rage and anguish, lashing out with a tendril of dark magic that sent ice and snow scattering into the wind.

He couldn’t return to her. It would pain her. Pain him. He couldn’t learn friendship, not after everything he had done! It wouldn’t work! Not for him, it… he…

Sombra looked back towards the Crystal Empire, memories of Radiant Hope flowing through his mind. Her visage morphed into that of Twilight soon enough, longing screaming within his heart.

And as his inner conflict raged, the unicorn’s suffering rapidly reaching its limit, the presence watched on. It was unseen by Sombra, unheard, but it was there. It watched the light’s embers grow brighter still with dissatisfaction, quite the disappointment for one who had been so promising.

But for now, it just watched Sombra sit in the snow, an uncertain future awaiting one who had once been a tyrant. As the sun settled into the horizon and dusk arose, he remained caught between old hatreds and the memory of a certain mare pressing for change.

A sparkle in the darkness.

And a shadow amidst the twilight.

Author's Note:

And that's the end of a Sparkle in the Darkness... for the moment!

We are not done with this universe quite yet, as you may have gathered. But first, after a small interlude where Change will be the only fic updated, we will be seeing a story a little bit different to my usual dark stuff.

Until then!

Comments ( 45 )

Looking forward to the sequel but....... Change comes first.

Ooo! A good end to a good story. While I look forward to more of this universe, I also look forward to Xhange and whatever else you have coming!

Beautiful.

I really just love this writer for finishing stories and giving them an ending. Like, the feeling you get when you’re like “it’s over. We’re done.” Ya know? However, I need to know more and that drive keeps me going because I want to see the next chapter (or in this case, next story). Can’t wait to see where this goes. Nice of you to fast forward to present MLP (at the same time not... I can handle small to medium sized time skips but this was like 5 seasons. Sadness noise) as we can go off of new information and a new threat that isn’t just some spin off of another part. They’re good sometime but others is just bleee. New threat, updated cast, sombra as the potential hero/villain, dark magic twilight who may or may not be getting closer to a mob psycho 100 with dark magic (and still light be wearing the amulet.). You work on your other good stories. But I’m really looking forward to the sequel.

Whee!
It's been fun.
Keep going! ;)

I don't even know what to say.



GREAT!!!

9744212
...The entire epilogue was setting up a sequel, so...

What an amazing way to wrap up this story! Thank you for this great piece of work. If you create more works, I very much look forward to reading them.

A truly excellent story! I am very much looking forward to the next installment! :raritystarry::pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

You wonder if, eventually, even psychopaths get tired of being dicks anyhow. Always worried about a knife in the back or poison. Do they get tired of ordering armies and the rest of the endless chess game. Would they try to fade to the background and allow younger psychos to take over the day to day, and see if they cold hold ultimate power secretly, without having to use it often? Rothschild style power behind the throne.

9744232
Oh ho, now THIS is gonna be interesting.
Fantastic story, mate - I've been so excited every time I saw the new chapters appear. Amazing job!

A sparkle in the darkness.

And a shadow amidst the twilight.

Ooh~

Loved this fic! Looking forward to the sequel(s).

Amazing job with the story!!

Can't wait for the sequel

Good story, and somehow I imagine the season 8 & 9

And then Grogar appear and Sombra decide to play spy, while telling Twilight how could she be fooled by a filly. They make a 'battle' and Sombra disappear from Equestria only for time later Uncle Sombrero appear in Ponyville

P.S: I somehow can think a way to defeat or slow the zombies without Midnight, is very easy with their hive mind, Twilight only need to throw the fear spell against one of them and all of them are trapped

This would be a "Warning, Badass Twilight Incoming! This is not a drill!"

WHERE'S THE SEQUEL?!?! PLEASE!! You can't do this to me! You can't keep torturing my soul! I NEED MORE!!! :raritycry: :raritycry: :raritycry:

Another excellent story from the likes of you, now may I suggest a song for the end credits.

https://m.

What a amazing well written story. Only few stories can bring such emotions and keep a balanced paced and being believable. And I do read many stories here. You made a amazing story sir/ma’am and eager to read your continuation of this universe.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

10287374
You mean the one that Celestia told her in secret and no one else knew about or that Twilight is supposed to use it at least once.

10288173
And then became necessary to make use of again for the reasons depicted at the beginning of the story, yes.

Is a sequel (either one shot or otherwise) in the works for the (maybe distant) future? Loved the story but that ending is just a complete cliffhanger.

Yet another Tomfic I will put on the shelf and read over again at a later date. Well done, and I can’t wait for that sequel.

Much appreciated for that piece of art :) It wasn't easy for me as a non-native English speaker to read the story and it took some time to translate words I didn't knew still it was worth time and effort spent. Really glad there's going to be a sequel. Good luck with it and with your other stories! <3

A truly fantastic story. I started out hesitant due to some grammatical mistakes, but it eventually became too engaging for me to care. This story really deserves more than what it has. 5 stars!

Finale...FINALE finished this after reading half of it when it first came out, before leaving it. Came back to it thanks to Tone Shift’s audio reading. And god damn was this great, I annoyingly gave up just before the draugr came in and really got the action started.

Sombra’s character is so well developed in this, and totally becomes enduring near the end. Without changing the core of his character he comes around in a much more fitting way without actually turning him into a good guy or even having him admit he was wrong. Very expertly handled.

Twilight was one point all the way through as well, her slow decent into darkness was really well done and the midnight sparkle moment was indeed chilling. Twilights finale self destruction play at the end was a true power play moment.
And just because I’m a sucker for it, her friends being her back to the light and with Spike calling her mum being the final thing that brings her back almost had me in god damn tires. Lovely bit of work, and something I’d hope gets a little more exploration in the sequel.
Speaking of that, I read in the comments you were planning on writing one but obviously that was a while ago. I think this was great ending, bittersweet but still lovingly hopeful all the same. That said if there is a sequel I look forward to it

I hate how the S9 Premiere ruins thing dynamic, Sombra really got done dirty.

10610363
Late reply but I totally agree/

I wonder if there is sequel to this?

This story really doesn't need a sequel, but still I want one.

11019130
I totally agree with you, it has potential if you use the last seasons as a reference.......... I need more

11156592
Thanks for the reply, but if I may ask, why then did Sombra's bloodline have no surviving branch family's? I don't belive it was every answered in this story why, and Sombra himself doesn't comment on his lack of decedents. Why would Sombra want to purposely limit the number of potential heirs he could chose from?

11156973
It wasn't by any measure of design. A few branch families did form here and there, but died out a generation or two later. Call it fate, providence or just random ass luck, but that's how history wrote its pages.

It's not always some conspiracy or another. Sometimes it really is just pure chance. Be it natural causes and/or a lot of only childs as the generations went by.

Heck, Twilight herself isn't even the primary heir, Shining Armor is, Sombra just chose Twilight. The main line continues with Flurry Heart, any offspring Twilight could hypothetically have would themselves be a branch.

And, of course, these are the descendants Celestia was keeping track of. You never know when someone might've had a secret lover on the side somewhere down the line. I'm not saying there is, it's not exactly something I've planned out or is relevant, but it's always a possibility. A thousand years is a long time.

11156989
One last question, since twilight knows dark magic in this au, how differently did the events of the the seasons between 4 and 9 go.

- Did twilight nearly kill Tirek with dark magic before he used her friends to get the upper hand.
-Did twilight beat starlight using her power and show her the error of her ways once incapacitate.
-Does she ever use dark magic after this story.
- Does anyone besides her family, friends, and the princess know about her heritage(such as starswirl)

11157174
Should the sequel occur, you'll likely find the answers there.

Also, I can see your replies here. You don't need to copy and paste them into that other blog post. Especially since that blog is about Change, not Sparkle.

Comment posted by BroSparkle deleted Jun 30th, 2022

6 days. It only took me 6 days to read all this wonderful story! ^^ Bravo for the work done! Being a fan of Twilight, I quickly hooked and loved the plot and the evolution of the two characters.

Only element that "a little disappointed" me: I expected to see the army of the dead attacking the stadium of the Equestria games, since we were entitled to a description.

Also, I would have liked a "death" of one of Twilight's relatives, even a confrontation between midnight (I hope we'll see her again!) and the alicorn sisters.

But that doesn't take anything away from the beauty and power of this story!

I hope to read a sequel very soon !

11332316
He means she overthrew his rule and he had to do the time shift thing and never saw his family again.

This is one of my favorites

You're planning on making a sequel for this right because that would be cool as fuck

Login or register to comment