• Published 8th Jul 2018
  • 3,415 Views, 571 Comments

The Starlight & Pals Magical Half Hour - Cold in Gardez



Join Starlight Glimmer, Spike, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and all the rest for this fun-filled magical adventure! With this week's special guest, Applejack!

  • ...
18
 571
 3,415

S3E10: Just Barn This Way (GaPJaxie)

“Knock knock!” Twilight called as she pulled open the door to Starlight’s office. “How’s my favorite guidance counselor in the world doing?”

“I don’t know,” Starlight said, sitting up in her chair. She had a mug of empathy coco in front of her, along with a thick book she was halfway through reading. “How is Princess Celestia doing?”

Twilight stared at Starlight. She blinked. Then she sat down in front of Starlight’s desk, and pulled out a bundle of papers. “So! I wanted to talk with you about something.”

“Too close to home there?”

“It’s about some of the students who have been seeing you!” Twilight pressed on, subtly raising her voice. “So, you remember that portal to Equestria High? Sunset Shimmer, alternate universes, that whole thing?Well, recently, Sunset gave me a lot of human cultural material for the school. Books, movies, she thought I’d enjoy it.”

“I know.” Starlight took a sip from her mug. “The students have been passing around those little square things that play movies. Most of it is actually pretty good!”

“They are really enjoying them!” Twilight said, but she spoke through a strained smile. “So when I decided we should have a class on cultural sensitivity, I thought it would be a good idea to have the students analyze some of the films from the human world. That way, none of the students feel like their culture is being analyzed. They can all approach the problem as equals.”

“Sounds like a good idea.” She swirled her mug, looking down into the brown liquid within. “So uh… what do you need me for? Help grading the papers?”

“They turned in their papers this morning, actually! Let me read one of them to you.” Twilight pulled a single paper from the bundle in front of her. “Ahem.” She cleared her throat. “‘The core theme of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the futility of democracy. The inability of the Galactic Republic to fend off the military aggression of a rogue state serves as a classic example of the misallocation of resources under so-called ‘humanitarian’ regimes. By allowing domestic spending to take priority over the essential needs of the state, the Galactic Republic got billions of its citizens killed.’”

Twilight lifted her face from the paper and squinted at Starlight. Starlight took another sip of her coco. “Sounds about right to me.”

“Uh-huh.” Twilight pulled another essay from the pile, snapping the paper taut in front of her. “This essay is about The Incredibles. Have you seen it?”

“I have.”

“Do you think this essay says that it’s a fun adventure story with recurring themes of love, family, and the importance of honesty in relationships?”

“I mean,” Starlight waved a hoof and gave a little half-laugh. “Who knows what it says? Foals these days, right?”

“‘The Incredibles’” Twilight raised her voice, reading every word with force, “‘is the most sinister film of the contemporary era, employing bright and colorful imagery to conceal its menacing and ultimately self-serving themes. Its core story depicts a group of natural-born ‘superheroes’ as they thwart a ‘supervillain’s’ plot to give away his advanced technology and make the world a better place. Using memorable scenery, likeable characters, and gripping action scenes, The Incredibles conveys one clear message: ‘Some people are born superior and society has no right to judge them.’”

“Ha ha. Aaah.” Starlight chuckled. Her smile was wide and stiff. A long pause hung in the air. Then Starlight sat forward, resting her hooves on her desk. “You know, one way to look at this is that that’s very good use of language for someone their age.”

“Starlight!” Twilight’s ears folded back as she glowered. “Did you tell the students what to write?”

“No!” Starlight threw up a hoof. “If I did that they wouldn’t learn anything. I just made sure that they saw the movies in their proper context. So they could understand the broader cultural themes.”

“They’re all like this!” Twilight quickly sorted through the papers in front of her. “The Lion King: Hereditary monarchy whose royalty actually cannibalizes their subjects experiences family turmoil plunging the land into chaos. Beauty and The Beast: Legitimately elected champion of the people attempting to save kidnapped woman slain by unelected aristocrat. But it's okay because he was a jerk and she later developed Stockholm Syndrome. Up: An old stallion wastes helium to satisfy a foolish sentimental desire!”

Twilight brandished the paper like a weapon, waving it at Starlight edge first: “You didn’t like Up!?Fluttershy and Pinkie cried when we saw it! Plus Applejack cried on the inside.”

“Oh, come on.” Starlight waved a hoof, softening her tone. “I liked some of them! Monsters Inc was really good.”

“I noticed!” Twilight ripped another paper from the pile. “Monsters Inc is the—”

“Do you have to read them—”

“Yes!” Twilight sharply cleared her throat. Then she started to shout. “Monsters Inc is a heartwarming adventure story about two working class stallions who uncover a sinister plot by the bourgeoisie to harm a nearby parallel universe for the sake of their own profits. This surprisingly realistic portrayal of the rampant greed inherent to class distinctions highlights the need of capitalist regimes to constantly expand to new markets, harming the citizens therein. In the end, joy becomes the new energy source of the land, metaphorically reflecting the joy of the people as they are no longer alienated from their labors upon being united by the electrified collectivist state!”

Starlight sat in silence, a small frown on her face. Twilight needed a moment to catch her breath, the extended shouting having knocked the wind from her. She wheezed slightly.

Starlight filled a mug with more coco and placed it on Twilight’s side of the desk. “I can see you’re upset.”

“Yes! Yes I’m upset! You can’t tell the students these things, Starlight.”

“Why not? They’re true.” Starlight shrugged. “Come on. The Lion King has an entire scene dedicated to how the lions eat the other animals. And then we see that the other animals can talk? Tell me that’s not a little messed up.”

“They’re foal’s movies!”

“That just makes them more pernicious!” Starlight raised a hoof. “Foals learn their social cues from the culture around them. Think about Beauty and the Beast. If you had a daughter, would you want her to watch a bunch of movies about mares getting kidnapped and then falling in love with their kidnappers?”

“No, Starlight. It’s not the same. If you want to point out the little oddities in a story, that’s fine, but not to the degree that it overrides what the story is actually about. Star Wars isn’t about ‘the failure of democracy,’ it’s an epic battle of good against evil.”

“Is it though?” Starlight sat back in her chair. “Go back to the original movie. Alderaan sponsored a rebellion against the Galactic Empire before the movie even starts. That’s how Leia gets captured. Everything we see in the movie is the Empire responding to Alderaan taking aggressive action against them.” She folded her rear legs, putting a hoof up on the desk. “Basically, Alderaan shot first.”

Twilight sighed. She laughed. The threw up her hooves. “Fine,” she finally said. “Analyze them however you want. But if you don’t want to enjoy these stories as stories, you’re not going to keep getting invited to movie night.”

Starlight quickly took her hooves off the desk and sat up straight. “Woah. No. Twilight. I do enjoy these movies. Just because I interpret them a little differently doesn’t mean I don’t treasure them!”

Starlight pulled open one of her desk drawers and drew out a thick bundle of paper. “See? I wrote this during the slow hours.”

Twilight slowly took the bundle. It had a cover page. She eyed its title. “Death-Star Crossed Lovers,” she read aloud.

She knew she should drop the bundle. But she couldn't. She couldn’t look away. Dread fascination compelled her to continue. She turned the page.

“This is your fanfiction,” Twilight said. Her mouth was suddenly dry, and she swallowed. “Your protagonist is an imperial unicorn named ‘Starwise Sunbeam’ who thinks that Grand Moff Tarkin has a ‘sexy voice.’”

“I mean,” Starlight laughed. “He does have a sexy voice! But don’t worry. It’s not that kind of fanfiction. Starwise and Tarkin aren’t in a relationship or anything.”

“That’s…”

“Tarkin,” Starlight spoke firmly, “would never cheat on Darth Vader.”

A long silence came over the room. Then Twilight put Starlight’s manuscript down, rose from her chair, and walked out into the hallway.

“Twilight!” Starlight called. “Oh come on, Twilight! Don’t be that way! Twilight!”

After a long pause, Starlight shouted out the empty door into the hallway: “You can’t deny there’s something there!”