• Published 22nd Aug 2018
  • 2,920 Views, 16 Comments

Tiny Guard - MorbidTheBrony



Filly Sunset Shimmer has been given the opportunity to be Celestia's guard for Nightmare Night.

  • ...
2
 16
 2,920

Reporting For Duty!

Nightmare Night, a time of year which everypony can enjoy, big or small, stallion or mare. Some say it's a night where friends can dress up in whatever costume they please and have fun with eachother, which is like any other hang out, except their now dressed up as somepony. Others say it's about getting as much candy as possible while also dressing up as whatever.

This year, a filly known as Sunset Shimmer will be getting a little more than she expected. This year, little Sunset Shimmer had dressed up as a Royal Guard for Nightmare Night. She would go around jokingly giving orders to other ponies and even hang around the other guards as if she was one of them. The guards had noticed this and decided to play along with her.

"So, you think you got what it takes to be one of us?" one of them asked.

Sunset gave a salute. "I'm always ready to fight what goes up against the princess to make sure she's safe!" she said confidently.

"That's what I like to hear! Put her there, tiny guard!" The guard held out his hoof.

Sunset grabbed hold of the guard's hoof and they both began hoof-wrestling. Due to the huge disadvantage the filly had, the guard didn't control his hoof and let Sunset win. When she won, everyone surrounding her, including herself, all let out manly cheers. Another guard grabbed hold of Sunset and lifted her onto his shoulder, giving everypony the perfect view of their new companion. Sunset was laughing loudly, she was having so much fun right now.

"My, my, my, I've never heard the guards have this much fun before," came a new voice.

All of the guards stopped cheering and Sunset was placed back down onto the ground. The guards lined up next to one another and saluted, for the princess had entered. Sunset copied them, she looked confident and give a mighty salute.

Princess Celestia smiled. "One of these is not like the other~" she sang. She approached the smallest of all guards. "Who might we have here?"

"Sunset Shimmer of the Royal Guard, reporting for duty, Princess!" Sunset shouted.

"Oh-ho-ho. Is that right?"

"Yes, your majesty!"

Celestia knelt down to Sunset’s level. "You think you have what it takes to be one of the big guys?"

Another guard chimed in with the conversation. "She's a natural, the little one. It's like she was destined to be a guard like us."

Celestia looked down the line of guards. Then an idea crossed her mind. Her face turned serious. "Well, you are wrong with one thing: She is most certainly not destined to be like you all," Celestia said.

Sunset's big smile disappeared. As she looked downwards, a more sad look had replaced it.

Celestia smiled once more and raised the filly's chin with her hoof. "She's destined for much more."

Sunset perked up; her smile returned and the guards began cheering and applauding.

Celestia began walking away before turning back to Sunset. "Follow me, little one, for your destiny," she said.

Sunset's pupils widened as she began trotting behind the princess. Together, the princess and her little knight travelled through the castle of Canterlot. They walked the long, large halls leading to the throne room.

"Princess, what exactly are you having me to do?" Sunset asked.

"Well, you wanted to be a guard for Nightmare Night, correct?" Celestia asked back.

"Uh-huh?" Sunset confusingly nodded.

They both reached Celestia's throne. The princess turned back at the filly. "Then, it is with great pleasure that I hereby declare Sunset Shimmer as my personal guard for the remainder of the night!" she announced.

Sunset's pupils have widened to be so large, you couldn't tell that she had any white in her eyes. She began jumping up and down, cheering and smiling wildly. "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I'm the princess's personal guard!"

Princess Celestia continued watching the excited filly and then laughed. "Don't waste your energy now, my student, for I'm expecting you to still have some while we attend a special Nightmare Night event."

Sunset stopped bouncing and smiled embarrassingly to her teacher. "Hehe, sorry. What is it we're doing tonight?"

"I have been invited to a gathering being held in the Town Hall in Ponyville. Ponies all from Ponyville, Cloudsdale, Appleoosa and Canterlot will be attending," Celestia explained, walking out of the throne room with Sunset.

"Is it like a party?" Sunset asked.

"Hmm, yes, I guess it is like a party; there's activities, food and beverages. I guess 'gathering' really isn't the thing to call it."

Together, they walked out of the castle and climbed on board of a golden carriage being hauled by two other pegasus guards. They flew their way down towards Ponyville: the town of, from what Sunset had heard, friendship. Ponies from the three races lived in harmony, continuing to spread their friendship throughout all of Equestria. This was all told to the filly by her teacher. Sunset may not be the most interested in friendship, but parties aren't something she was known for turning down.

Soon enough, the carriage landed within the town of Ponyville. The princess and her student stepped out and began making their way through the town towards the town hall. They both passed by houses, decorated from top to bottom with Nightmare Night decorations. From spiders and cobwebs to banners with a silhouette of the evil Nightmare Moon, or known as the mare on the moon.

Sunset looked up to her teacher and noticed that she kept her eyes looking towards the ground, almost as if she was thinking about something.

"Hey, Princess, are you okay?" Sunset asked.

Celestia was taken out of her trance. "What? Oh. Yes, I'm fine, Sunset Shimmer."

Sunset always knew whenever Princess Celestia was feeling uneasy, but she never felt it was her place to ask what was wrong. She knew her teacher was mighty and powerful, whatever was troubling her, she could probably handle.

Both mares continued onwards until they finally arrived at the town hall. Sunset rushed ahead and held the door open for the princess, like one of her guards.

"Why, thank you, Sunset! That's very kind of you," Celestia complimented.

"Just doin' my duties, your majesty." Sunset gave a royal salute towards Celestia.

Princess Celestia laughed as she made her way inside, with Sunset following behind her. Inside of the town hall was also decorated with traditional Nightmare Night decorations. Ponies from all across Equestria filled the large room, almost all of them wore a different costume ranging from either cute to scary.

"There are a lot of ponies here," Sunset pointed out.

Celestia hummed. "Yes, my little pony, ponies all from the nearby towns: Canterlot, Clouds-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I remember you telling me back at the castle," Sunset interrupted, beginning to walk away.

Celestia looked directly at her as she walked away, surprised that even her own student would interrupt her like that. Realising she was getting away, Celestia followed after her.

They both explored the packed building, finding, like, four different snack bars, a barrel filled with water and apples and even a dance floor. Sunset had never seen a real dance floor before, so that was pretty cool.

"Princess Celestia, you came!" said a new voice.

Celestia turned around. "Hello, Mayor Mare," she greeted. "Of course I came, I always love answering your invites."

"Well, your timing is impeccable, Princess; we were just about to start-"

"Back away from the princess immediately!" Sunset interjected sternly.

Mayor Mare looked confusingly at the filly who had just stepped inbetween her and the princess. "And who might this young one be?"

Celestia chuckled. "Mayor Mare, meet my little personal guard, Sunset Shimmer," Celestia introduced. "Sunset Shimmer, this is the mayor of Ponyville, Mayor Mare."

The mayor was still very confused. "Personal guard?"

"She dressed as a Royal Guard for Nightmare Night, so I made her my guard for tonight. If she acts like a real guard, then just go with it," Celestia whispered into Mayor Mare's ear.

"Well, howdy-do, Sunset Shimmer!" Mayor Mare greeted.

She held out her hoof for Sunset to shake, which she was happy to do.

Sunset was finding it hard keeping her stern face and began laughing. "Sorry. I can't even take myself seriously acting all tough and all."

"Aww! Don't stop playing the part now, little one, you're doing such a good job!" Mayor Mare complimented.

"You really think so?" Sunset’s eyes sparkled with joy.

Mayor Mare nodded. "Oh, for sure! You act just like a real knight of the Royal Guard." She giggled. "Hay, if you were any bigger, I might've accidentally mistaken you for a real guard."

Celestia laughed. "She really takes the cake with her little suit of armour, doesn't she?"

"Yeah, she really does. Say, where did you find that costume?" the Mayor asked the filly.

"I... uhh, I shrunk a real guard's armour to, umm... to fit me..." Sunset explained nervously.

Celestia perked up in surprise. "Wait, you stole one of my guard's suit of armour and shrunk it down to your size?"

Sunset gave a guilty blush.

"I never taught you a shrinking spell." Celestia squinted at the filly in suspicion.

Sunset nervously smiled. Her nerves eventually made her break a sweat.

"Filly's got talent," the Mayor complimented again.

Celestia hummed. "So it would seem..." She looked away from Sunset, knowing exactly what she did, and they together explored more of the large hall.

Sunset continued to protect the princess from oncoming ponies wishing to meet the princess. Everyone thought it was all fun and games but Celestia began to think that all of this power is getting to her head a bit.

Later, a cream coloured filly, with a black and pink mane, dressed as a pumpkin began approaching the princess in hopes of meeting her. Sunset quickly stepped in the way.

"Step away from the princess!" Sunset bellowed.

The filly jumped back in surprise and then began giggling. "Are you dressed as one of the princess' guards?" she asked. "Your costume looks so cool!"

Sunset didn't reply, she just continued shouting. "Back away from her majesty immediately!"

The pumpkin filly tilted her head. She tried to go around Sunset Shimmer, but she would just follow her every move, making sure Princess Celestia remained safe.

The filly scrunched her nose. "Why aren't I allowed to see the princess? Is she busy?"

Sunset remained standing tall as to look threatening, not answering the question.

She began to get sick of Sunset's actions and tried to confuse her by moving back and forth. Finally managing to get past the guard, she bowed before the princess.

"Hello, Princess Celestia. My name is Swee-"

The filly was interrupted and flung back by Sunset's telekinesis. Everyone around them gasped, including the princess and the filly began crying.

"Keep away from the princess!" Sunset fumed. The power of being a guard finally took over her.

The filly finally got back on her hooves and ran off crying loudly.

Celestia stomped her hoof. "Sunset Shimmer, may I have a word with you for a moment outside?" she asked.

Sunset was finally brought back to reality and had realised what she had done. Hanging her head low, she followed the princess outside.

As soon as the door closed, Celestia sighed. "Sunset, do tell me what that all was?"

Sunset sniffled. "I-I don't know. The thought of being one of your guards just felt too good to be true, it was like I began to think I was an actual guard of the castle and I guess the power seem to go over my head and then I... You know?" Sunset pointed her hoof inside the building.

Celestia nodded. "Yes, I was beginning to notice you were becoming a bit harsh to anypony who approached me. I should have stepped in earlier, but I never realised you would take it as far as you did back there," she explained. "You have to remember, they are only fillies, as well as you are. You shouldn't treat them as if you are more powerful than they are."

Sunset looked away in shame. "Are you mad at me?" she asked.

Celestia stared at the filly for a moment. She then sighed and put a hoof around her, hugging her. "No, I'm not mad, but from now on tonight, I'll be keeping a closer eye on you than you have with me." She began smiling.

Sunset looked up at her teacher, saw her smile and began laughing. "Yeah, okay, I guess that's fair."

"That's what I like to hear," Celestia said, opening the door once again. "Now, let's go back inside. I think there is somepony you owe an apology to."

The tiny guard guiltily frowned. "Y-Yes, Princess..."

Sunset began looking around from the filly she hurt. When she eventually found her, the filly was very hesitant to step near her. Sunset sighed and quickly pulled her into a hug.

"I'm sorry for hurting you," she apologised to the pumpkin.

The filly was surprised by the sudden move of affection, but after hearing Sunset apologise, she was more than happy to return the hug, accepting the apology.

For the rest of the party, Princess Celestia, Sunset and her new friend hung out together. They played plenty of games, shared so many laughs and stories and even had a shot on the dance floor. Overall, they all had a great time. Afterwards, they had to say goodbye to eachother as Sunset and the princess flew back to the castle via their carriage.

Sunset may or may not have a chance to do this again, but one thing was for sure, this was by far the greatest Nightmare Night she has ever had. The story that she'll always remember as "The Princess and Her Tiny Guard."

Author's Note:

I do hope you enjoyed this little piece. It was definitely something that took more time to make than it needed to, but I'm glad to finally have it out.

Anyway, I'm MorbidThe Brony, and proud of it. Have a good night.

Comments ( 16 )

You get a like and fave for the idea, and, once I read it, a follow.

Absolutely adorable.

Sunset is a weird character for fans.

Sunset may not be the most interested in friendship, but parties aren't something she was known for turning down.

That will change ...

When I read the description my first thought was this was going to be stupidly adorable. It has surpassed that and achieved violently adorable.

Filly Sunset is so cute! :twilightsmile:

Yikes! I never realised this would do so well! Thanks, everybody! :twilightsmile:

Sunset and the princess flew back to the carriage via their carriage.

I think you put the wrong word right here.

Still, it's a great story. Thank you for writing and sharing it.

9188604
Thank you! For both the correction and your very kind words. :rainbowkiss:

Holy Guacamole! 1000 views! :pinkiehappy:

The story would have been a different kind of funny if the the guards took this route when Sunset was playing with them:
terminallance.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Strip_Halloween_2018.jpg

Celestia laughed. "She really takes the cake with her little suit of armour, doesn't she?"

"Yeah, she really does. Say, where did you find that costume?" the Mayor asked the filly.

"I... uhh, I shrunk a real guard's armour to, umm... to fit me..." Sunset explained nervously.

Celestia perked up in surprise. "Wait, you stole one of my guard's suit of armour and shrunk it down to your size?"

Sunset gave a guilty blush.

"I never taught you a shrinking spell." Celestia squinted at the filly in suspicion.

Sunset nervously smiled. Her nerves eventually made her break a sweat.

"Filly's got talent," the Mayor complimented again.

Celestia hummed. "So it would seem..." She looked away from Sunset, knowing exactly what she did

So, is neither Princess Celestia, or Mayor Mare going to say anything about sunset stealing government/military property, and likely screwed over some poor soldier?
No?
Okay.

One of these situations is playing out in the castle barracks while Sunset has that armor:
1) Some poor junior enlisted is getting ripped into by a sergeant about gear accountability, while the poor bastard is replaying in his head the last time he set down his armor.
2) Some enlisted guy is confused, panicking, and frantically looking for his armor, because he's on duty in like 30 minutes.
3) Heated argument or brawl has broken out, because the stallion that's missing his armor is accusing others of stealing his armor.
4) Some officer is grilling all of the enlisted that are off duty, since he thinks that one of them stole his armor.
Boring) A soldier is peacefully sleeping the night away in his bunk, blissfully unaware that he got robbed by a 5-year old in his sleep.

terminallance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2014-09-23-Strip_345_Gear_Adrift_web.gif

They flew their way down towards Ponyville: the town of, from what Sunset had heard, friendship. Ponies from the three races lived in harmony, continuing to spread their friendship throughout all of Equestria. This was all told to the filly by her teacher. Sunset may not be the most interested in friendship, but parties aren't something she was known for turning down.

Prophetic.

"There are a lot of ponies here," Sunset pointed out.

Celestia hummed. "Yes, my little pony, ponies all from the nearby towns: Canterlot, Clouds-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I remember you telling me back at the castle," Sunset interrupted, beginning to walk away.

Celestia looked directly at her as she walked away, surprised that even her own student would interrupt her like that. Realising she was getting away, Celestia followed after her.

See Sunset, this is one of the many reasons you didn't become the Element of Magic/friendship.
You didn't pay attention to Celestia, you were not diplomatic, and you robbed some poor soldier.

Sunset looked up to her teacher and noticed that she kept her eyes looking towards the ground, almost as if she was thinking about something.

"Hey, Princess, are you okay?" Sunset asked.

Celestia was taken out of her trance. "What? Oh. Yes, I'm fine, Sunset Shimmer."

Sunset always knew whenever Princess Celestia was feeling uneasy, but she never felt it was her place to ask what was wrong. She knew her teacher was mighty and powerful, whatever was troubling her, she could probably handle.

Dusk of the 982nd Nightmare Night
18 Remain until Luna Eclipsed


All in all, a fun fic!:twilightsmile:

I can't help but wonder what poor unicorn is now trying to hide the fact they've lost their armour - and how they'll end up trying to explain it being filly sized when it turns back up again. Especially if they're one of the less bright ones, who then might have to explain that they definitely did NOT put it in the wash on the wrong settings again (this time)...

Good to see that Sunset Shimmer's tendency to overdo things she gets into started young. Definitely won't come back to bite Celestia that she didn't try tempering it better after this occasion, nope nope...

That being said, tiny overenthusiastic unicorn Royal Guard was best Royal Guard, even if just for the night. <3

Well shoot, whose armor did she take? Or did she do something even more interesting and use a duplication spell? I almost would prefer that, if only so no one else is getting in trouble.

This was really cute and sweet. I do love me a Sunset and seeing her as a cute filly that makes the occasional mistake because she gets too into her role... it feels very identifiable. I think we've all had a moment like this, where we got just a little bit too into something and accidentally upset other people in the process.

There's also a few bits here and there that feel just slightly prophetic of the future to come... Sunset's harshness towards the other filly, the fact that she was learning spells without telling Celestia... she definitely isn't quite all the way there yet to being the self-absorbed power hungry jerk she became canonically, but she's on the path towards it. Maybe if we're lucky this takes place in an alternate universe where she can be shifted away from said path.

Regardless, I quite enjoyed this. Nicely done.

Celestia smiled once more and raised the filly's chin with her hoof. "She's destined for much more."

whoa, burn on the rest of those guards!

Later, a cream coloured filly, with a black and pink mane, dressed as a pumpkin began approaching the princess in hopes of meeting her. Sunset quickly stepped in the way.

i was going to call this as Sweetie Drops/Bon Bon, but the black-and-pink mane threw me off. then i guessed that the dark blue was interpreted as black maybe? in any case, yay, filly Bon Bon!

For the rest of the party, Princess Celestia, Sunset and her new friend hung out together.

very cute! and i guess Sunset and Bon Bon having been foalhood friends with no further reference or explanation fits perfectly as a counterpart to Twilight's friendship to Lyra! in any case, a really sweet exploration of Sunset's foalhood, long before things went wrong. thanks for it!

Pft.

Cute Sunset stories are always a win in my book. I mean, who's gonna resist that much cuteness and amazingness? I can't help but wonder if I should write an AU where Sunset becomes a Royal Guard....

Focus, Sin, focus. Sunset's attitude really stems from her youth, doesn't it? Sometimes I do think that she was born this way, and Eqg was the turning point for her reformation.

All in all, a really nice story that I liked. Keep on making these kinda content!

edit: yes.

Howdy, Hi!

This was super adorable. I loved tiny Sunset with Celestia. A really good fluff piece with heartwarming moments. This also makes me want to see a fic where sunset actually takes the path of becoming a guard with the aim to become the Captain.

Thank you for the read~!

Login or register to comment