• Published 18th Sep 2018
  • 693 Views, 5 Comments

Voice in the Night - Allenator05

  • ...
0
 5
 693

Memories in the Dark

Author's Note:

Part of this chapter was inspired by a fan video called Fall of the Crystal Empire. I highly encourage you to watch it.

At first, Hildr was surprised and on guard, but when she felt no ill intent, she relaxed. This darkness seemed more like a watchful shadow, more curious than anything. She looked around and saw nothing but empty darkness. However, when Hildr looked down, she could clearly see her body. Just then, she heard a sniffling sound. Hildr looked around, but could not see the source. Then there was a quiet sob and Hildr perceived it coming from her right. She carefully followed the sound until she came across a little pony. Its mane was soft white and its coat a dark shade of blue. Tiny wings were folded on its back and a little horn was visible on its head. Hildr realized this was a tiny alicorn and it was adorable, its soft cries pulled at Hildr’s heartstrings. She knelt down next to it and very gently asked, “Hello little one. Who are you?”

The alicorn stopped crying momentarily and looked up at Hildr with big sorrowful eyes. “Woona,” she replied.

Hildr was shocked, but tried not to show it so as to not startle the little alicorn. If what she said was true, this was Princess Luna as a filly. “Your name is Woona?” she asked.

Woona nodded. “Who are you? You don’t look like a pony.”

“You are right. I am not a pony,” Hildr said.

“Then what are you?” Woona asked, her curiosity temporarily outweighing her sadness and fear.

Hildr pointed to herself and said, “I am a human.”

Woona frowned. “My sister says I shouldn’t talk to strange ponies and things that aren’t ponies,” she said.

Hildr nodded. She couldn’t argue with that logic. “Your sister sounds very smart. Does she take care of you?” she asked.

Woona nodded. “Sometimes, she is very bossy and doesn’t let me do things on my own. My sister is very bright and shiny. She doesn’t understand that not everypony can be like her.”

“You don’t want to be like your sister?” Hildr asked.

Woona shook her head. “What good would that do if there were two Tias instead of one Tia and one me? I want ponies to see me and not just Tia’s little sister.”

Hildr crouched down and slowly reached out to little Woona, who suddenly looked afraid and started to back away. “You frighten me,” she said.

At this, Hildr stopped and pulled her hands back. “I am sorry. I did not mean to,” she said.

Woona continued to stare at Hildr and tucked her legs under herself. “I think you should go now.”

“Aren’t you afraid all by yourself?” Hildr asked.

Woona shook her head. “I’m not alone. Sometimes, I just feel sad. That is okay right?”

Hildr nodded. “Yes little one, it is okay to feel sad sometimes, but being sad all the time is not good.”

“I know,” Woona said. “Sometimes it’s hard to feel happy about anything.”

“And what makes you happy?” Hildr asked.

Woona looked up. “Looking at the moon makes me happy.”

Hildr followed Woona’s gaze and found herself looking at the most magnificent moon she had ever seen. The reflected light cast a soft glow that gave the surrounding area a serene feeling. “I want to go to the moon someday, but Tia says that is not possible,” Woona said.

Hildr reached out and gently patted Woona’s head. “If that is what you want more than anything in the world, then I believe you can make it happen.” She gave Woona a light boop on the nose and added, “I think you are going to grow up and become a magnificent princess, and all the ponies will love you.”

Woona smiled. “You really think so?” she asked.

Hildr nodded. “I do indeed.”

Woona rose to her feet and hesitantly approached Hildr. She tucked herself under Hildr’s arm and leaned into her side. “You know what? I like you. Maybe Tia was wrong about not-ponies being so bad,” she said.

Hildr hugged Woona tight and let her go. “I have to be going now. Be safe little one.”

“I will,” Woona promised and waved goodbye as Hildr walked on. Soon the scenery changed and Hildr found herself on a battlefield. The ground was scorched bare and littered with broken weapons and bits of armor. Off in the distance was a huge, elaborate palace made from crystal. Its sharp lines and angles, combined with bold coloring, presented an intimidating presence.

Next to Hildr were two ponies dressed in elaborate armor. One pony was larger than the other and wore white and gold armor. Her pastel colored mane waved lazily in the wind and she wore a look of resignation mixed with resolve on her face. The smaller pony wore black and blue armor with silver greaves on her legs. Her armor was slimmer and more form fitting. Unlike the white pony, this black pony wore a permanent scowl on her face.

Looking at them, Hildr realized this was Celestia and Luna in their younger years and this must be one of the many battles Luna spoke of. “This is all Luna’s memory?” Hildr wondered outloud.

Luna and Celestia were speaking, but Hildr couldn’t hear what was being said. Luna was becoming more forceful and animated, while Celestia quietly shook her head. Eventually he pair moved on toward the palace. Hildr’s vision began to blur and faded to darkness. This darkness was different than the first. It was angry, sharper, looking for conflict. This was a slow, seething anger that had been festering for some time.

Hildr looked around and saw an alicorn standing nearby. Her coat was a darker shade than Woona and her mane was turning blue with specks that glittered like stars. Her horn was longer, sharper, and pulsed with blue energy. On her hindquarters was a large black splotch with a white crescent moon. Hildr surmised this was Luna in her adolescent phase. Her face was a mask of intensity, and she paced back and forth with sharp, precise movements. If Hildr had to guess, Luna was upset about something. Hildr carefully approached and called out, “Hello there.”

Startled, the alicorn quickly crouched down in a defensive posture and pointed her glowing horn threateningly at Hildr. “Stop! Come no closer or I will take measures against you.”

Hildr slowly put her hands out. “Look. I am unarmed. I mean you no harm. You are Luna, correct?”

Luna glared at Hildr, but her horn stopped glowing and she stood up. “I am Luna. Who are you and how do you know my name?”

Hildr put her hand to her chest and said, “My name is Hildr, and how could I not know who you are, Princess Luna?”

Luna narrowed her eyes as if she still wasn’t convinced. “How do I know you aren’t some kind of spy or a Changeling in disguise? I have never seen your kind before.”

“I am not from your world. I have traveled across space to meet you,” Hildr said. Technically, she wasn’t lying.

Luna snorted. “I do not know why you would want to meet me when my sister garners all of the attention. Everypony loves her. And for what? Because she is kind, gentle and raises the sun? Ha! Nopony knew who we were until we became rulers of Equestria. They only seek her out because of her position.”

“That may be so, but I think it takes a special kind of pony to keep watch during the night,” Hildr said. “It must be comforting for ponies to know that they have a powerful guardian to watch over them while they sleep.”

Luna’s gaze started to soften. “Pretty words and flattery will get you nowhere,” she said.

“It was meant to be a compliment,” Hildr said and carefully stepped forward. Luna remained on guard, but did not move. “I can imagine how lonely you must feel while keeping watch at night.”

“I am never alone as long as I have the moon,” Luna said. “Other than my sister, it has been my constant companion.” Luna looked to the sky and stared at the moon. “It speaks to me in ways that nopny else does.”

Upon hearing this, Hildr frowned. “And what does the moon say?” she asked.

“It tells me that I am destined to be a great ruler,” Luna said. “All will bow before my greatness. I shall have no equal and none will stand against me.”

“And what of your sister?” Hildr asked carefully.

Anger flashed in Luna’s eyes and a low growl escaped her throat. “She knows nothing of what I do or the dangers we face. She is naïve if she thinks that we can all work together in harmony. She refuses to accept that there are things in the world that mean to do us harm.” Luna snorted and started pacing again. “The Dragons cause trouble in the west; the Gryphons to the east grow bolder and encroach on our territory; Yaks demand an unfavorable border to the north; and Diamond Dogs cause trouble everywhere. Our enemies are at our doorstep and my sister does nothing!” Luna stomped her hoof on the ground and the sound echoed loudly.

“And what council does the moon offer?” Hildr asked carefully.

Luna’s eyes became dangerous as she stared at Hildr and said, “Perhaps it is time for Equestria to have one single ruler.”

A wave of dizziness came over Hildr and she nearly fainted. When her eyes cleared, she found herself flying over a vast wasteland. Up ahead was the palace she had seen earlier. Hildr found she couldn’t move her head, but she heard powerful wing strokes and felt a strong breeze on her coat. Out of the corner of her eye, Hidlr cold see Celestia flying alongside. This must be from Luna’s point of view, Hildr thought. It was then she heard the voices.

This is Celestia’s fault

for once we agree

If she had listened to us, none of this would have happened

you don’t know that

How could we not? Our own Lunar Guard found proof of Sombra’s treachery. It was so obvious, a blind mare could have seen it

celestia thinks otherwise

And where did that get us?

you don’t need to remind me

Celestia is too soft for her own good.

discord would say otherwise

Discord was defeated only because we pushed Celestia to act. If not for us, Discord would still be free.

Why do you hesitate to do what you know is right?

is it though?

Why do you limit yourself? Why are you so afraid to become what we truly are?

Hildr could feel the doubt in Luna’s heart and her resolve was beginning to crumble. Hildr could see Celestia speaking to Luna and her voice finally broke through Luna’s thoughts. “Luna! Are you even listening?”

“Of course I am!” Luna snapped.

Celestia frowned. “Then what did I say?” she asked.

Luna rolled her eyes. “You were saying ‘Don’t forget the plan.’ How could I? It was my plan to begin with!”

Celestia gave Luna a disapproving look. “We’ll talk about this later. Right now, we have a job to do.”

Luna narrowed her eyes and growled. The palace grew larger and larger. Luna and Celestia circled around the highest tower and stopped before a large stained glass window. Luna looked to Celestia, who gave a short nod. They dove toward the window. The glass shattered. Everything went black.

Absolute darkness surrounded Hildr like a thick, heavy blanket. It weighed down on her shoulders and tried to force her into the ground. It settled into her heart and brought forth feelings of loneliness and isolation. Despair settled on the edges of Hildr’s mind, but she pushed it away.

A spark of warmth filled her chest and calmed her mind. Hildr held out her hand and called upon her Light. A tiny flame flickered to life and grew large enough for Hildr to see. The Light had an interesting effect on the darkness. It created a small bubble of space around Hildr and she felt the weight lift from her heart. The bubble also lit the ground at Hildr’s feet so she could see where she was going.

The Light in her hand pulsed gently and traveled up her arm to settle over her shoulder. This brought a smile to Hildr’s face as reminded her of her Ghost. As she wondered what to do next, Hildr noticed a slight reflection up ahead. Her curiosity piqued, Hildr moved forward. As she drew near, Hildr could see a faint outline appear. It seemed to sense Hildr’s presence and moved slightly, revealing a pair of large, sad blue eyes.

Hildr gasped and ran forward. Out of the gloom, Princess Luna appeared. She squinted at Hildr’s light. “It seems you have found me here,” she said sadly and looked away.

Hildr sat next to Luna and her Light grew to encompass them both. Luna was lying on the ground a looked rather pitiful. Her wings drooped at her sides and looked in need of a good grooming. Her coat had faded to a dull gray and her mane hung wistfully. The only color that Luna seemed to keep was her eyes.

“What happened?” Hildr asked gently.

Luna sighed and said, “I am a creature born of Darkness and the Night, but the Darkness has consumed me.” She looked up at Hildr and asked, “What is wrong with me? What have I done to deserve this?”

Hildr moved closer and gently placed Luna’s head in her lap. She started stroking Luna’s head and neck, feeling the coarse hair of her coat. Luna let out a small groan of pleasure. “I am now very jealous of you humans and your hands,” she said. Hildr smiled and played with Luna’s mane. She was fascinated how it wafted like smoke in a light breeze. Whenever she touched or disturbed it, Luna’s mane dissipated slightly, then came back together on its own.

Hildr decided to stop playing around and focus on her task. “Luna, remember when I told you before about Schizophrenia and Disassociation Identity Disorder?” Luna nodded and Hildr continued. “Well, those disorders are often related to another condition known as Depression, which can manifest in different ways. Side effects often include, trouble sleeping, disinterest in favorite activities, mood swings, loss of appetite, feelings of hopelessness, and deep sadness for no apparent reason. Depression will rob you of any apparent happiness and joy in your life. In very severe cases, people will attempt self harm or suicide because they can’t see any other way out.” Hildr became serious and lifted Luna’s head to look directly into her eyes. “Luna, I care about you very much and I want you to tell me truthfully. Have you had thoughts of hurting yourself or committing suicide?”

Luna looked way, unable to meet Hildr’s eyes. “I am unfamiliar with the word ‘suicide,’ but from the sound of it, I assume it involves taking one’s own life?” Hildr nodded.

Luna sat up so she was face to face with Hildr. “I would be lying if I said the thoughts didn’t happen from time to time.”

“Have you ever considered following through with those thoughts?” Hildr asked carefully.

Luna shook her head. “I am too much of a coward to seriously consider hurting myself. However, I have often thought that perhaps it would be better for me and everypony else if I were to disappear for good.”

“Where would you go?” Hildr asked.

Luna gazed deeply into the inky blackness. “I suppose I would go back to my moon. If I am there, nopony will be hurt because of my actions.”

“And what of Nightmare Moon?” Hildr asked.

Luna turned back to Hildr. “I am growing weary of her persistence. Eventually, I will no longer be able to hold her back and she will return. If I banish myself to the moon, she can do no harm there.”

“And what of Celestia and the rest of the ponies? What will happen to them?” Hildr asked.

Luna shrugged. “I was gone for a thousand years. What is another thousand or more?”

For the first time, Hildr noticed a shiny black box next to Luna. “What’s in that box?” she asked.

Luna looked at the box and shrugged. “It has been here for some time. Whenever I try to open it, I feel a sharp pain in my head.”

Hildr reached for the box, but Luna put a hoof out to stop her. “That box is dangerous. I believe it is locked away for a reason.”

Hildr sat back. “Luna, I want you to hear me out.” After a moment of hesitation, Luna nodded. Hildr pointed to the box and said, “I think that box is memories you unconsciously locked away to spare yourself from a traumatic event.”

Luna said nothing and stared at the box. “So much has been taken from me. Sometimes I don’t even know who I am anymore. So much of my life is tied to Nightmare Moon. Perhaps she is the dominant personality and Luna is the delusion. I do not know anymore.”

Hildr reached for the box and this time, Luna did not stop her. Hildr held the box and ran her hands over the smooth black surface. A crescent moon was etched into the lid and outlined in silver. “Luna, I’m here for you. You aren’t alone,” Hildr said. “If you want to leave the box alone, or open it and face what is inside, I will accept whatever decision you make.”

Tears formed in Luna’s eyes. She activated her horn and the box was surrounded by a blue glow. Luna lifted the box out of Hildr’s hands and tried to open the lid. As soon as she did so, the ground began to shake and the darkness became wild and chaotic. Hildr had to concentrate to keep her Light from being overwhelmed. Luna winced in pain. “It hurts! I feel as if my head is splitting open!” she cried.

Hildr put her hands on Luna’s head. This time, Hildr reached for her Magic and her hands started to glow as she tried to ease Luna’s pain. “I can only do so much. It’s up to you to see it through,” Hildr said and touched her forehead to Luna’s.

Luna was deeply touched by the lengths Hildr went to in order to help her. A small flicker of light appeared in the darkness in her heart. It was a feeling that Luna hadn’t felt in a very long time. In that moment, Luna truly believed that Hildr loved her.

The pain in Luna’s head suddenly stopped and the lid on the box clicked open. Blue smoke poured out and surrounded Luna’s head. She recoiled in fear and as she tried to cry out, the smoke entered her nose, ears, and mouth. Luna gasped in surprise and her eyes suddenly blazed white with power.

Hildr put her hands up to shield her eyes. When she could see again, Hildr saw she was in a throne room. Red and black tapestries lined the walls. The only illumination was provided by a stained glass window high above. The throne itself was hidden in shadow, but Hildr could see someone, or something was sitting in the darkness.

Suddenly, the glass shattered and Luna and Celestia burst through the window. The figure Hildr had seen on the throne finally stepped out. It was a unicorn unlike Hildr had ever seen. For starters, this unicorn was a male. His coat was charcoal gray and his horn was blood red and slightly curved like a blade. His mane was shorter than Celestia’s or Luna’s and it was black as soot. He wore a red and silver armor coat with silver guards on his legs. What really captured Hildr’s attention were the green flames that surrounded his eyes. He seemed amused that Celestia and Luna had burst into his throne room unannounced.

Once again, Hildr couldn’t hear what was being said, only Luna’s thoughts.

This ends here Sombra

he can’t hear you

Oh. Hildr felt silly for not realizing that sooner. Celestia was trying to reason with Sombra, but he merely laughed.

This has gone long enough

agreed

Luna crouched down and a sigil appeared in the air behind her. Swords of blue crystal appeared and arrayed themselves behind her. Sombra chuckled and a portal of shadows appeared behind him and he manifested weapons of his own. Celestia summoned a flaming sword and the battle was joined. Sombra hardly broke a sweat as his summoned swords seemed more than enough to keep Celestia and Luna at bay.

He dares to toy with us?

and you thought this would be easy

It should be easy for us

Luna’s horn glowed as she fired all her swords at Sombra. Sombra’s own horn flashed as he blocked all of swords, breaking them. Celestia used the opening to get in close, but Sombra melted into the shadows and reappeared elsewhere.

Impudent fool. He plays with forces he does not understand. We shall educate him

Why do you still hold back? Now is not the time to show weakness. Fight!

Luna summoned a spear and flew after Sombra. The smile on his face started to falter as Luna easily kept up with him through the shadows. Celestia waited for her chance and started throwing blasts of magical fire. Sombra dodged Celestia’s attack and Luna lunged after him, nicking him with her spear.

Sombra reappeared on his throne. His horn glowed and wreckage from the fight floated into the air. With a smirk, Sombra used his telekinesis to throw them at the princesses. Luna summoned more swords to defend herself and Celestia used her magic to blow the chunks to tiny bits. As hard as they tried, there were too many projectiles to block. Luna started to tire and her movements slowed. As a result, Sombra caught her and encased her in stone.

Unhand us you fool!

i am trying my best

Lies

it is hard to fight both you and sombra

Why do you fight it? We can end this in an instant

but celestia…

Is fighting alone because you are weak

It was true. With Luna captured, Sombra could focus all his attention on Celestia. Sombra’s smug attitude returned as he fought with Celestia. Luna struggled mightily against her bonds.

help me

Now you ask for our help?

please. celestia-

Will fail and it will be your fault

This made Luna struggle even harder. Celestia fought valiantly, but every blow she took brought Luna closer to the brink.

please. i’m begging you

Begging is beneath us. We make others grovel before us instead

i never wanted it to be like this

Like what? Poor Luna, how the mighty have fallen

tell me what to do

We can’t tell you anything

i don’t want to become a monster

Is that what you think we are?

isn’t it?

Better hurry. Celestia doesn’t have much time

Celestia was breathing heavily and could barely stand. Sombra laughed as he walked menacingly toward her.

don’t touch her

What was that?

don’t you dare touch her

Speak up, we can’t hear you

Sombra stood over Celestia. Her eyes blazed with defiance as she swung her sword. Sombra easily blocked the feeble attempt and knocked the sword away.

get away from her

What are you going to do about it?

i will end him

Say again?

Sombra laughed as he used his power to raise a pile of rubble above Celestia’s prone form. Luna stopped struggling and could only watch helplessly as Sombra buried her sister.

Luna’s mind shattered.

Overcome with grief and rage, she screamed.

YES

A blast of power freed Luna from her prison and she flew at Sombra with murder in her eyes.

Show him our TRUE power

Sombra’s smile grew even bigger. It was as if everything that had happened before was to get Luna to this point. She was barely in control of herself, swinging her spear with abandon and shooting beams of magic as Sombra stayed one step ahead of her.

FOOL! He is toying with you

Sombra met Luna and their weapons clashed and locked together. Luna summoned a sigil under Sombra’s feet and swords burst out of the ground. Sombra jumped out of the way and Luna leapt after him. She continued to fire blasts of magic at Sombra, but he used the shadows to neutralize her magic.

Luna charged him again, but her rage was burning out and she was beginning to tire.

i’m not done yet

Yes you are

i won’t let it end like this

You know what has to be done

And yet, you continue to fight it

he looks down on us. he thinks we are weak

You are weak. We are strong

but not strong enough

We will be

Sombra trapped Luna in his grasp. Thinking the end was near, he made his proposition to Luna.

This worm thinks he is our equal?

Sombra used his dark magic on Luna, who struggled at first. The magic worked its way into her mind and deep into her heart.

What child’s play is this?

we are a fool

Sombra is the fool

he mocks us, looks down on us, and hurt celestia. we will make him pay. if he wants to see the monster, then so be it

YES

we will show him what TRUE darkness is

YES! GIVE IN! SHOW HIM WHO WE ARE!

Hildr’s heart was heavy as she watched the transformation. Luna began to chuckle, then laugh, then cackle with glee. “Darkness? Darkness and shadows you say? You merely adapted to the shadows, made them your ally. We were born of the Night, molded by it. In all my life, I have never touched the Light. Just where do you think the shadows you dabble with come from?”

Luna’s coat turned coal black and her teeth became sharp and pointed. Her eyes turned electric blue and her pupils became black slits like a reptile. Luna turned to smoke and reappeared on Sombra’s throne. “You want to see darkness? I will show you TRUE DARKNESS!”

Luna spread her wings and what little light there was disappeared as the room plunged to darkness. For the first time, Sombra became nervous. He tried to reason with Luna, but she was beyond reason. He wanted the monster and she willingly obliged him.

Luna chased and harassed Sombra, never letting him rest. Finally, he could take no more and Luna trapped him in her clutches and encased him in stone as he had done to her. Sombra’s eyes were full of fear as Luna calmly approached him. She was in no hurry, her prey would not escape.

“Who are you?” Sombra finally asked.

Luna’s eyes were full of madness and rage. She summoned the scattered pieces of her broken swords and remade them into an executioner’s axe.

“Who am I?” Luna asked. She stood before Sombra and raised the axe high. “I am THE NIGHTMARE!” Luna swung the axe and Sombra was no more.

When Luna came to her senses, Sombra, the palace, the entire Crystal Empire was gone. All that remained was a frozen battlefield slowly being covered in snow. Celestia lay nearby and Luna ran to her side. Celestia finally woke up and looked around. “Where are we? What happened?”

“Sister! I am so glad you are safe!” Luna cried and hugged Celestia tightly.

“Thank you Luna, but I am fine. My injuries are not severe,” Celestia assured her. “What happened to Sombra and the Crystal Empire?”

Luna hung her head in shame. “After he defeated you, Sombra and I fought, but he escaped and took the Crystal Empire with him to the Shadow Realm.”

Celestia’s eyes went wide and she gasped in shock. “How can that be?” she asked.

Luna shrugged. “Dark magic perhaps?” she suggested.

Celestia rose unsteadily to her feet and winced. Luna rushed to support her. “No matter. Sombra will return at some point and we will need to be ready,” she said.

“Yes sister,” Luna agreed. When Celestia turned her back, Luna showed a wicked smile and her eyes briefly changed. “Sister, the world will know my name,” she promised.

Born of Darkness, we are that which all others fear. The Nightmare has begun

what have I done?

A blizzard suddenly sprang up as Luna and Celestia limped away. The blizzard quickly became a whiteout and everything faded into darkness.


Luna wailed in Hildr’s chest. Hildr didn’t know what else to do other than hold Luna and stroke her mane as she poured out her grief. “I’m truly sorry,” she whispered in Luna’s ear.

“I never knew,” Luna cried. “I didn’t know what happened. All I remembered were intense feelings of rage and sorrow before blacking out.”

“What happened to Sombra?” Hildr asked.

Luna let out a tired sigh and wiped her eyes. “I did not take Sombra’s life, but banished him to the Shadow Realm. Since he wanted to dabble with dark powers, I would show him true darkness.”

“But you told Celestia-“ Hildr started

“A lie,” Luna finished. “She didn’t know and still doesn’t know that I have that ability.” Luna stared hard at Hildr and added, “And she will never know.”

“I won’t say anything,” Hildr promised.

Luna rose to her feet and stretched. “So. Now we both know what happened.”

“And how do you feel?” Hildr asked.

Luna hung her head and stared at the ground. Honestly, knowing made her feel worse than before. She had always thought that Nightmare Moon either seduced her or forced her way in, but to know that Luna herself willingly let it happen made her feel sick to her stomach. Luna walked a short distance away from Hildr and sat on the ground. Luna thought that opening the box and unlocking her suppressed memories would help her feel better or magically make Nightmare Moon disappear forever. Luna was more confused than ever. “What do I do?” she whispered.

For once, The Voice was silent.

even you have abandoned me?

If only you could be rid of us so easily

if only

So. Now you know the truth

yes. i am ashamed

Why? Why do you deny what we are?

i’m tired of being the monster

We are not a monster. We are the Ruler of the Night. When all is covered in Darkness, we will rule over all

and how did that turn out the last time?

No matter. We underestimated the Elements. It shall not happen again

this will never end, will it?

To live as only half a being, you are ore foolish than we thought

Luna turned back to Hildr, her expression full of sadness. “It won’t stop. No matter how hard I try, the voices will not stop.”

Hildr carefully approached Luna and held her arms out. Luna leaned in and allowed Hildr to embrace her. “I know you are disappointed, but I want you to know that you are still allowed to find happiness and you are never alone,” she said.

“But it is still so hard,” Luna whispered, tears forming in her eyes. “I’m so confused. Was something different supposed to happen? Have I done something wrong again?”

Hildr shook her head. “No Luna, you have done nothing wrong.”

A new light shone down upon them and Luna looked up to see the sky was clearing and the full moon revealed itself. “It’s so pretty,” she said.

“Just like you,” Hildr said. “The nightlight of the world and guardian of dreams.”

Luna stepped back and wiped her eyes. “I think we have spent enough time in my head,” she said. Her horn started to glow and Hildr’s vision flashed to white.

When Hildr opened her eyes, she saw they were back in her clinic. Luna was human again and her eyes were red and puffy from crying. She smiled sadly and wiped her tears. “I suppose the conclusion was rather unsatisfying,” she said.

“Not every story has a happy ending,” Hildr pointed out.

Luna narrowed her eyes. “That’s not exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear,” she said.

Hildr put her hand on Luna’s shoulder. “But it’s the kind of thing you needed to hear,” she replied.

Luna carefully considered Hildr’s words. “Since my condition is unheard of in Equestria, how would you treat me here?” she asked.

“Long ago, it was done very carefully with medication and therapy,” Hildr said. “It is believed that one cause of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and we used drugs to help balance the chemistry. Since no two people are the same, proper dosage was carefully monitored. Of course, ther were side effects, but people were able to lead normal lives.”

“And now?” Luna asked, a glimmer of hope in her voice, “what about me?”

Hildr shook her head. “I would be hesitant to prescribe medication because you are a pony and not a human. As such, I don’t know how the drugs would affect you, if at all. And that’s even if I had the medication or the ability to manufacture it.”

Hildr’s words dashed Luna’s small flicker of hope and she visibly deflated. “So I am back to where I started? Have I come all this way for nothing?”

Hildr shook her head. “I wouldn’t say that. You opened up to me and shared your burden. You faced your repressed memories and learned the truth.” Hildr sat back and sighed. “I wish with all my heart that I could just wave my hands and make all of your problems go away. Maybe you can magic your way out of it, but I doubt it.” Hildr looked to the ground and became uneasy. “Besides, the medication used often had terrible side effects, sometimes worse than the symptoms.”

“But I’ll never know, will I?” Luna asked, her voice taking a dangerous edge. “It sounds like you don’t want to help me after all.”

“That’s a lie and you know it,” Hildr shot back. She took a deep breath and centered her thoughts. “We both have been through a lot this evening. Let’s talk again in the morning.”

Luna nodded her consent and went back to her room. When she was gone, Hildr collapsed at her desk and buried her face in her hands. “I messed up,” she muttered.

In her dream, Luna found herself in pony form back in the Canterlot castle throne room, however the décor had changed drastically. Black and blue banners adorned the walls and stained glass windows lined the walls that depicted events from Luna’s point of view. Much to her displeasure, many of the events depicted showed her as Nightmare Moon. The throne room was dark and covered in shadow with moon providing the only illumination through a large skylight. The floor was black and blue marble lined with silver. The columns and high vaulted ceiling were made of sharp and jagged looking crystal. The atmosphere of the throne room was very dark and strangely silent.

What drew Luna’s eye was the throne. Whatever material it was made of completely absorbed all light, leaving a black hole. Seemingly out of nowhere, Nightmare Moon made her presence known. As soon as she saw her, Luna’s heart became heavy. She felt rooted to the spot as if her legs were molded to the floor. An overwhelming feeling of emptiness overcame her and Luna’s head bowed to the floor. She didn’t have the energy to feel anything. “What more do you want from me?” she asked tiredly. “Haven’t you done enough already? Why won’t you leave me in peace?”

From the steps of the throne, Nightmare Moon spread her wings to make herself look bigger. “What do we want from you? What sort of question is that?” Nightmare Moon bellowed. “All we want is for you to be the pony you were meant to be.”

“Why do you keep saying that?” Luna cried out. “I don’t want to be a monster.”

“Then what would you have us do? Sit idly by and grow fat and lazy? UNACCEPTABLE! We will not stand for it!” Nightmare Moon replied.

Luna’s legs gave out and she sank to the floor. She looked longingly up at the moon; so big and bright, yet so far away. “Sometimes I wish I had never been born,” she whispered.

Nightmare moon snorted in disgust and walked down the steps until she stood over Luna, who wouldn’t even look up. “So. Is this the end? Is this when you finally get your wish and I disappear forever?” Luna asked. “Perhaps that is what is needed. We are in a strange land, far from Equestria. Go ahead then, and use this place to realize your ambition.”

Luna was tired of fighting. She was tired of being looked down upon as the lesser sister. She was tired of the wary looks ponies gave her. She was tired of feeling useless, and she was tired of listening to Nightmare Moon’s voice.

“You are pathetic,” Nightmare Moon hissed. Luna said nothing in reply.

“You are unworthy of the gifts bestowed upon you,” Nightmare Moon continued. “You act like an old fool who has grown weary of the ways of the world.”

“Because I am,” Luna pointed out.

Nightmare Moon’s horn flashed and a sword appeared and dropped in front of Luna. “Spare us your self-loathing and take your own life.”

Luna stared at the blade. The blade was highly polished and Luna saw her expressionless gaze in the reflection. It certainly looked sharp. One quick thrust to the heart and it would all be over. Luna wondered if her soul would be condemned for all eternity for her sins. Here was her chance. Just take the blade and finish it quickly. No one would even know. So why did she hesitate? What was stopping her?

Nightmare Moon saw Luna’s indecision. “What are you waiting for? The will be the best chance you will ever have.”

Luna slowly tore her gaze away from the sword. “I am a coward. I can’t even bring myself to take my own life properly. How low must I be if I am unable to do such a simple thing?” she asked.

Nightmare Moon snarled and kicked the blade away. It clattered across the floor and disappeared in a puff of smoke. “The reason you cannot do this thing is because you still want to live, despite everything,” she said.

Luna looked up in confusion. “What do I have to live for? Hildr can’t even treat me properly for the problems I have.”

“Why would you want that?” Nightmare Moon bellowed.

“To be rid of you!” Luna shouted. “Everything is your fault! Everything is MY fault! I banished Sombra to a place where nopony can remain sane in the darkness and isolation. I nearly killed my own sister and was banished to the moon! I tried to cover the land in permanent darkenss! I let my jealousy and pain get the better of me. I brought you into this world and I can’t even make you disappear!” Rage burned in Luna’s heart as she struggled to her feet to confront Nightmare Moon. “I HATE you! I HATE myself for feeling this way. Tell me, O Great and Powerful One, what should I do? I CAN’T DO ANYTHING!”

“And that is the point!” Nightmare Moon roared back. “You are useless on your own! You need us because we are you! No matter what you do, you will never be rid of us. We will always be here, and we are always watching.”

Luna’s pent up anger finally boiled over. Her eyes blazed white with power and she let out an ear shattering scream. Luna’s magic exploded, leveling the entire castle. Luna panted heavily and looked around, but saw no trace of Nightmare Moon. She finally collapsed with exhaustion and everything went black.