• Published 3rd Aug 2018
  • 3,044 Views, 168 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Four - Doug Graves



Four years after Doug arrives in Equestria and the mares of Herd Apple are still going strong. Well, relatively speaking; Rainbow is on the road to recovery while Applejack and Pinkie Pie add new members.

  • ...
12
 168
 3,044

19 Song of the Sekhema

July 18th, 996

The Carousel Boutique is closing for the end of the day, another long and productive session of sitting around while waiting for ponies to come to the store. Rarity sighs as she looks outside; she needs to get another large order, something to work on in the interim. She has plenty of inventory, having spent most of the day making hats. Or taking apart hats and remaking them with different colors of gems. Speaking of, her gem stockpiles are overflowing, on account of their recent trip to the Badlands. Maybe she'll make a solo run to the Ghastly Gorge; she'd probably just end up giving away the gems, but just to give her something to do. Maybe meet up with Shav, see if she has found an area to settle in. Doug might like to see her again, just to see how the pups are doing, but he stays busy with the work on the farm and his weather scheduling.

Speaking of Doug, the side door to the kitchen opens, her stallion calling out, "Rarity, we're home!"

Rarity peeks from the main store area, her purple and pink maned filly spotting her. "Hi Big Sis!" Sweetie Belle calls, her small hooves racing along the floor as she tries to keep her dam in sight. Rarity disappears from the doorway, hiding behind a few of her ponnequinns. Sweetie Belle, the small filly with a much better vantage point, quickly makes her way around the stands, giving chase. Rarity smiles at her filly, trying to keep one of the stands between them before dashing towards the kitchen.

She glances back, trying to keep a close eye on the filly as she slides along the floor before her view is flipped, replaced with one of the ceiling. Her hind legs squirm underneath her - well, actually above her - trying to find purchase as Doug's arms wrap around her barrel just under her forelegs, lifting the unicorn and holding her against his chest. She flails her legs, a playful, "Nooo!" as Doug slowly lowers to the ground.

He holds her forelegs to the sides, Rarity laughing as Sweetie Belle runs up. She rests her hind legs as the filly gets close, wincing as she jumps onto her. Rarity's struggles begin anew as the filly nuzzles her belly, turning her head to the side to look at Doug with mournful eyes and a quiver in her lips.

Instead of the release she is hoping for Doug joins in, his hands no longer pushing her forelegs to the side and instead find the soft hair of her belly. The long, slow strokes of his fingernails digging into her draws a quick breath, Rarity closing her eyes and leaning her head back, careful to poke her horn over his shoulder instead of into his head. Sweetie Belle pauses at the change in composure of her dam, curious as to what would cause her to breathe out and shudder.

Doug's hands stop scratching, turning to the pads of his fingers to knead up and down her stomach. Her head finds his, their lips quickly brushing against each other as Rarity lets out a low moan.

"Mama? Are you okay?"

Rarity smiles as she looks back down, "Yes, darling, I'm doing just fine. I think your sire was just about to start dinner, wasn't he?"

Doug sighs, legs releasing their hold around Rarity. He pushes up slightly with his hips, Rarity miming the action to encourage Sweetie Belle to jump off. Once the filly does Rarity rolls to her hooves, getting up and offering a hoof to Doug. He pulls himself up, hand slipping inside Rarity's mane to scratch her head before heading to the kitchen.

Rarity sighs, levitating over a mirror to make sure nothing is out of place. She smiles at her still perfectly coiffed curls; he has learned over the years how to pet her mane and head without messing up anything. She walks into the kitchen, Sweetie Belle close behind, "So, what is the plan for dinner?"

Doug shrugs as he gathers vegetables from her pantry, "Um, nothing special. You want anything in particular?"

Sweetie Belle pipes up, "Quesadillas!"

"Oh?" Doug glances over, smiling, "You like lots of cheese, right?" At the filly's excited nod Doug smiles, going to the fridge. He withdraws a bit of flour and cheese and heads to the counter, making a few flat pieces and spreading the cheese on top. "Hey, Rares, can you get drinks? Orange juice for me." Rarity withdraws a carton of apple juice, pouring herself and Sweetie Belle a glass before grabbing the orange juice, pouring a glass for Doug. She levitates it to him; he drains it in one go, tossing the empty glass back to her. She smirks, catching it in her magic and refilling it.

Doug starts humming to himself as he makes the quesadillas, Sweetie Belle's with extra cheese, a bit of cilantro for Rarity's. He opens the fridge, withdrawing four eggs and scrambling them for himself. He brings out the two meals, plates laden with salad, before returning to the kitchen, grabbing his own as the eggs finish. He prepares a fourth plate, loading it with plain quesadillas for Fluttershy as well as two apples.

As Doug returns to the table Rarity remarks, "Doug, you know how you wanted to learn the Winter Wrap Up song?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, I guess I did. It just slipped my mind, all that ice skating tired me out."

"Yes, and I wasn't exactly in the right mood afterwards. Or the next day, for that matter, when I got press ganged again into helping clear houses."

"Yeah, they got me helping clear the streets outside Ponyville, if I recall. Not nearly as much fun as ice skating."

"Indeed. Did you want to learn the song?"

"Hmm." Doug takes his quesadilla, wrapping the eggs up inside before taking a large bite. Sweetie Belle wrinkles her nose at the sight before looking down at her own plate. She takes the cheesy concoction, folding it twice and holding the mass up to her wide open mouth.

"Ahem."

Sweetie Belle glances up, her dam giving her the stinkeye. Sweetie Belle nervously smiles before taking a smaller bite.

Rarity continues, "Yes, darling, I know Doug can take big bites, but you need to get a little bigger before you try taking something that large in your mouth." She winks at Doug as her filly nods, Doug hiding his own smirk with a second bite. "So, Doug, are you avoiding my question or just unsure of your response?"

Doug sighs as he chews, finally swallowing as Rarity takes a dainty bite. "Well, I don't think I'm that good. I've never really sung outside a group, so... I'm not really sure."

Rarity nods, "Well, everypony has to start somewhere. Do you know what a scale is?"

Doug nods, "I have some music theory, but I haven't compared it to what you do here. A through G, middle C, that kind of thing?"

Rarity gives a slow nod, "Remarkable that that would be the same; there are quite a few similarities between our worlds. But yes, just do your best, sing me a scale." Doug looks down at his half finished plate, then back at Rarity. The mare sighs, "Would you like to wait until you have finished?"

Doug shakes his head, "No, I guess I'll try now." He attempts a quick scale, reverting to the 'Do Re Mi' he learned in elementary school.

Rarity nods along, her ears perking up as he finishes, "Well, you went a little quickly to get a good read, but overall I would say you have a fine voice. You waver a bit, and have difficulty hitting some of the notes perfectly, but that will come with practice and better form. Try sitting up more, lean your head back and stick your chest out."

"Ohh, Big Sis, can I sing with you too?"

Rarity smiles down at Sweetie Belle, "Once you finish your dinner, darling. Then you may practice with us."

"Okay!"

"Ahem, what do we say?"

Sweetie Belle stammers, "Um, may I sing with you, too?"

"Better, and I would like that very much. Now, Doug, same for you, finish your meal and we will get started on warming up our voice before we start learning the song." Rarity smirks, "We can even make it the game for the evening; if you can sing the entirety of the Winter Wrap Up song by the time we retire for the night, you win."

Doug nods, scarfing down the rest of his meal and draining his orange juice. Rarity rolls her eyes, "Sweetie Belle, I do hope you grow up with a modicum of decency."

"What's a modicum?"

"A small amount. I use it humorously, as I wish for you to be very decent, but I only say that I hope you have a little."

"Oh. Okay. What's decent?"

"Decent, or decency, is proper behavior and manners. Such as not taking too large of a bite, or too much to eat at a time; a good rule of hoof is if you cannot swallow the food in your mouth by the time somepony finishes asking you a question, you had too much. And no, you should not answer a question while there is food in your mouth."

"How come Daddy takes such big bites? And Applejack?"

"Because he is an uncultured brute when he thinks he is being humorous, and Applejack rushes things."

Doug smirks, without missing a beat, "And here I thought you were going to say it is because she was raised in a barn. Or on a farm."

Rarity somehow restrains from rolling her eyes and hides her smile, instead giving an expression of long-suffering as she looks at Sweetie Belle, "See, he is trying it again. The best way to deal with this, if you do not want a stallion to continue, is to pretend to not find it humorous" -Doug's face falls- "Despite the fact that he is both correct and funny." She winks at Doug, his face regaining its normal smile. "Normally, that is called being polite; however, in a joking context, or a routine, that is called being the 'straight pony'. Your sire strives to make everypony the fool, and he cannot stand a straight pony in a normal, everyday context because he cannot tell if they got the joke or just think he is being mean."

Doug frowns as he nods, "Yeah, it's why I tend to only joke around those I know, who know I'm joking. I do tend to joke without thinking it through since, well, I'm trying to be funny."

"Yes, it does ruin the joke otherwise, if it doesn't come out fast enough." She leans over, stage whispering to Sweetie Belle, "It's why you must always laugh at his jokes, even if you don't get them. Otherwise, he might think you are taking him seriously."

Sweetie Belle looks over at Doug, then at their empty plates, "Um, okay. When do we start singing?"

"Now is fine, let us retire to the store, I believe the sound will resonate better there. I will get some chairs."

The three move to the storefront; Doug helps rearrange some of the ponnequinns while Rarity brings in a few comfortable chairs. Rarity has Sweetie Belle, then Doug, then both of them together match her pitch as best they can and hold the note.

About an hour later Fluttershy quietly opens the side door, pausing as she hears noises coming from further inside. She ventures inside, a timid, "Hello?" that goes unanswered. The music continues, Fluttershy taking flight and silently flying through the house. She hears the music get louder as she heads to the store front, one of her forelegs swaying to the beat.

Fluttershy watches from the doorway; Doug briefly glances over; he is singing the base line, though he randomly swaps to tenor at times. Sweetie Belle is doing her best to mimic her dam, both singing the soprano part, as they sing about waking up the critters, providing food and homes. Rarity motions with her hoof, the two cutting off. "Very good. Now, for the next part, we are bringing back the southern birds. After that, the plant team section, and the chorus, and the song is done."

Fluttershy squeals, "Oh, I love that part!" She immediately clasps her hooves over her mouth as the three turn to her. She darts behind the wall, peeking a head out as the three watch her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt. Please, don't mind me."

"Are you sure?" Doug asks, patting the open area next to him, "You looked like you were enjoying it. Come join us!"

"Um, okay." Fluttershy hesitantly moves forward, greeting Doug with a short kiss before taking the spot next to him.

"Very good. Now, stand, you sound much better that way." Doug gets to his feet as Rarity continues, "We will start from the beginning; if we can make it all the way through the song, excellent."

Fluttershy hums along as the three start singing. Her hooves keep tapping with the beat, her head nodding and eyes closed. Doug stumbles as Fluttershy joins in, Rarity quickly poking him with a hoof to get him back on track. The four make it through the entirety of the song, Fluttershy matching Rarity and Sweetie Belle on the soprano section while Doug carries the base.

The song comes to an end; Doug pumps a fist, Rarity giving a slight eye roll at her stallion 'winning' this night's game. Fluttershy sits with a pleased look on her face as Rarity and Doug smile at her. Sweetie Belle does a small dance, prancing around and exclaiming, "Mama, that was so cool!"

Fluttershy opens her eyes as Rarity says, "Yes, darling, it certainly was." She turns to Fluttershy, "Fluttershy, you have such a beautiful voice! How have I never heard you sing before?"

Fluttershy's eyes go wide before she hides behind her mane, a squeaky, "No!" escaping.

Doug moves over, scratching Fluttershy's mane to the side in order to see her eyes, sitting down next to her. "Hey, 'Shy, it's okay." Fluttershy, no longer hidden by her mane, turns and pushes her muzzle into Doug's chest. He grips her head tightly, a confused look on his face as he says, "What's wrong?"

"It's just..." Fluttershy looks up at Doug, "Um, I don't want to sing in front of other ponies."

Rarity moves over, stroking a hoof along Fluttershy's back, "Darling, why does that bother you so much? You have an amazing voice, and I'm sure other ponies would love to listen to you sing."

Fluttershy shudders, "It's just, the thought of singing where others are watching makes me..." The pegasus squeaks again, burying her face in Doug's chest and sobbing.

"Fluttershy, I hate seeing you like this," Rarity says, her hoof continuing to stroke Fluttershy's side, "What can we do to help?"

A few sniffs and choked sobs later, and Fluttershy turns her head looking at Rarity, "Well, you see, it's just, I like the quiet. I like singing when it is just my birds and myself, and I don't have to worry about ponies watching or laughing or making fun of me." Fluttershy shakes her head as Rarity opens her mouth, the unicorn quickly shutting her mouth and drawing a hoof across her muzzle, "I don't need a stage, or fans, or anything. I sing for me, Rarity, not anypony else. And I don't really want anypony knowing about it; I want them to like me, not just my voice or my flanks." She sighs, looking around, "It's... okay when I'm in a large group, but otherwise... it's not what I want." Fluttershy stops talking, giving a shy smile and nodding at Rarity.

"Very well, Fluttershy, if that is what you wish, then we are happy to keep your secret." Rarity glances over, Doug nodding, and turns a smile at Fluttershy, "Just know, you are always welcome to sing with us, just us, here in the privacy of the Boutique. Or, if you just want to listen to us sing, that is fine, too."

"Thank you, Rarity," Fluttershy whispers, snuggling up against her herdmate.

"Of course, darling," Rarity says, nuzzling the pegasus, "Now, the last section could use a little work." She looks over at Doug and Sweetie Belle, "Would you like to sing through just the end, or start from the beginning?"

As they start over from the beginning, Fluttershy finds her hoof tapping up against the floor again. "Oh, no," she whispers to herself, trying to contain her desire to sing along.