• Published 7th Jul 2018
  • 757 Views, 3 Comments

Rainbow Dash Learns the Truth - Chrome Masquerade



when Rainbow Dash is sent to Cloudsdale for an urgent meeting, she learns that her hometown houses a secret deeper than you might think.

  • ...
 3
 757

Say what?!

The Mane Six were enjoying their spa day, care of Rarity. It has been a long time since they had been able to hang out together. Up until now, everypony was busy doing their own work. At least there had been no life-threatening emergencies in the last little while.

Pinkie Pie knocked on the wooden tub for a reason unknown to the others. When she got curious looks, she shrugged.

Suddenly, the door to the spa opened and none other than Muffins, the local mail Pony, stepped in.

"Is Rainbow Dash here?" She asked in a nervous manner.

Although slightly annoyed, Aloe, who was currently attending the front desk, answered, "Yaes, dey are here. But zey are in de meedle of zeir session. Chu vill haf to vait for zem to feenish."

"It is... Kinda urgent." The mailmare said in answer, revealing a bright red envelope with a golden lightning bolt for a seal to the spa Pony.

Aloe's eyes widened. Even she knew what that meant.

"RAINBOW DASH! As moch as I hate to say eet, dis is wery important!"

Applejack raised an eyebrow in a practiced manner and said, "Ah think ya best mosey, Dash."

Rainbow Dash took on a worried expression for a split second, but immediately schooled it.

She said, "Sorry to have to cut this short, girls, but duty calls. Unfortunately."

Twilight smiled and said, "Don't worry about it. You know how things have been lately."

Rainbow Dash grinned. Her friends were so understanding.

"Don't worry, girls. I will be back before you know it." She said.

On the way out, she snagged the red letter from Aloe, reading along the way.

Rainbow Dash, your presence is requested at the Cloudsdale Weather Factory immediately, at your earliest possible convenience.
This is of course a matter of extreme security. After this letter is read, it will self-destruct.
Come alone.

Windstar,

Rainbow Dash grumbled and said, "Well, this isn't suspicious at all." her tone dripping with sarcasm.


Upon arriving at the weather factory, Rainbow Dash look for the one who had sent the letter. It didn't take long to find him. Upon noticing her, Windstar said, "Ah, subject 85309. You came! Come, there is much to tell. Walk with me."

Rainbow Dash followed Windstar to the nearby elevator. Once inside, Windstar punched in a code and they began to descend.

Windstar looked from side to side, then nodded. "Good. Now we can talk in peace."

By this time, Rainbow Dash had had about enough of secrecy and she asked bluntly, "So what's this all about, anyway? What's the big deal with all the cloak and dagger stuff?

The other Pegasus gave her a somber look. "It is time that you know the truth. The truth about the city and What Lies Beneath. You might imagine that we do not tell this to everypony who just trots in."

Rainbow Dash boldly declared, "I'm ready."

Windstar smiled at her. "No. You aren't. But we have to tell you sooner or later. This is as good a time as any."

He began, "Have you ever wondered what the Rainbows are for?"

"It's what is made here, isn't it?" Rainbow Dash queried, now unsure.

"No." said Windstar. "It's the waste product of what really goes on here."

"And what's that?"

"Haven't you ever wondered why in the first encounter you had with Discord, your first reaction was to protect Cloudsdale?"

"How do you know about that?" She asked, defensively.

She went unheeded. "Or why there's never been a case of a non Pegasus being born here, even though you know that such things can happen? Why you've been able to crash into solid rock and survive? Why when Discord gave Rarity and Applejack the blue flu, you weren't affected? Why Muffins was able to compete in the Best Young Flyers competition, while she had five clones in the stands?"

"Out with it already!" Rainbow Dash said, irritated by then.

Just then, a mirror like surface slid down in front of them. An application of light to the Mirror revealed something truly shocking.

"What kind of person isn't a person at all?"

Standing right in front of her was an abomination.

"No way..."

"Yes, Rainbow Dash. The Pegasi of Cloudsdale are engineered automata. Robots." said a similar (yet differently buit) machine to her reflection's left.

"But... then why-?"

"Oh, don't worry. We aren't completely robotic. After all, we can get cutie marks and wield magic and -in your case- the elements of harmony. Get broken limbs, food poisoning, that sort of thing.

"But... Fluttershy-"

"She and her parents are from Hoofolulu. That's why it took her so long to learn how to fly proficiently. The air is much thinner up here and she has a larger wingspan than we do, not that she shows it. Ask her about it, sometime. Anyway, she is a glider, not a speedster."

By this time, the polychromatic mare's mind was well and truly blown. At length, she said but one word.

"Why?"

"You're about to find out."

Just then, the elevator got to the level that it was going for. When the door opened, Rainbow Dash saw what looked to be an assembly line.

"Here, ponies can be made artificially. You see, back in the days before the unification of the three tribes, the power hungry Pegasi from then wanted a way to stop any future wars that they might have to partake in before they could happen. To wit, they pursued technology. They made weather easier to control as both a survival and tactical advantage. Then, they sought to improve themselves, functionally."

They stopped in front of a large machine. "Now, if need be, we can be mass-produced. If a Pegasus dies, they can be recreated here. And this is where you were born."

A capsule came by that held what seemed to be a perfect copy of her.

"Nopony would even be able to tell the difference."

"And why tell me all of this?"

"Because, Rainbow Dash, in this day and age it's time for the secrets of the city to be put to rest. Ponies are more united today than ever before. Secrets like this can't stay hidden forever. Ergo. we are showing a select few of us what really goes on down here. Spitfire knows, Soarin knows..... A few others. Power like this is meant to be shared, not hoarded. By all means, tell the princesses. Make sure that they know the gravity of the situation.

"I will. You can be sure of it."

Rainbow Dash turn to leave, but Windstar stopped her. "One last thing!"

"Yes?"

"Keep watching the skies."

Unknown to Windstar, the simulacrum of the rainbow mare briefly opened its eyes and winked at her counterpart before going back to "sleep".

Keeping her composure. Rainbow Dash said, "I think i'll keep that in mind."

Once away from the factory, she first flew home to get some rest. One doesn't have their entire world view changed in one day without getting exhausted.

But sleep would be hard in coming for her that night. And her dreams would be haunted for weeks to come.