• Published 31st Oct 2019
  • 6,574 Views, 247 Comments

The Power Princesses - Phantom-Dragon



The story of Ken Heathspike and the girls of his life, the Power Princesses.

  • ...
11
 247
 6,574

PreviousChapters Next
The Path of Hum Drum Part 1 – The New Boy Wonder

The next day, it was a Sunday, when Ken woke up at the first ray of sunlight piercing into his bedroom, through his window, shining across his face.

“Yeah!” Ken shouted as he excitedly leapt out of bed, got himself cleaned up, dressing himself in fresh new clothes, picks up his backpack, races down the stair, and had a quick breakfast.

His mother, Wysteria, couldn’t help but be amazed, “Why Ken,” She smirked. “You seem very excited to wake up this early.”

“Today’s a big day for me, mom!” Ken replied as he excitedly eats his breakfast. “Got lots of stuff to do with my friends. So much to do, so little time!”

“Really? Well, you could at least just take small bites so you wouldn’t run the risk of getting sick.”

But Ken didn’t listen. He was much too excited. After he finishes the last bit of his bacon, Ken picked up his backpack and was on his way out, on his skateboard.

“Gotta run! Bye mom!” Ken shouted.

“Have a good day sweetie,” Wysteria waved.


With the enthusiastic smile still on his face, Ken skated down the street, until he arrived at the park. There, Ken found a secluded and hidden area within the trees, where he changed out of his normal clothes, before donning up his new suit.

Then, after tucking his other clothes away in his backpack, making sure it’s well hidden, the young boy emerges from the thickets as the Harmonus Apprentice, Hum Drum.

Hum Drum did a few stretches with his arms and legs to get himself adjusted to his new suit.

“Okay,” Hum Drum sighed. “Hum Drum reporting for duty.”

“Hiya, Hum Drum!” A voice greeted, revealing herself to be Fili-Second.

Soon, the rest of the Power Princesses arrived, “Okay, Hum Drum,” Zapp greeted. “First question: Are you ready?”

“Heck yeah! I’m totally ready!” Hum Drum answered enthusiastically. “What’s my first lesson?”

“First lesson is getting adjusted to your suit,” Zapp lectured. “Remember, that thing doesn’t make you the hero. It’s the hero who wears the suit.”

“Okay. And second lesson?”

“Teaching ya how to fight,” Mistress Marvelous confirmed. “Let’s get started.”


Later, the super alien girls and their new apprentice were inside their crashed spaceship. Inside a training simulator.

“Okay, move your hands and do exactly as I do,” Fili-Second instructed, as she touches her head, shoulder, knees, and toes, with Hum Drum following along.

“Why? What does this do?” Asked Hum Drum.

“It helps to warm up your reflexes,” Fili-Second answered, as she and Hum Drum continued with their warmups until it came to an end.

“Alright, Ken, Listen up,” Masked Matter-Horn began. “This suit is very powerful, especially by Earthling standard. So pay attention, because it’s very important. First, look at your hands.“

Hum Drum looked at his gloved hands, seeing each of his fingers has a heads-up display, courtesy of the augmented reality projected from his goggles.

“Wow, just looking at my own hands excites me already!” He said excitedly. “Now I know how Spidey felt about getting his new suit from Iron Man in Civil Wars.”

“Ken, are you listening?” Matter-Horn asked.

“Yeah, of course,” Hum Drum replied. “Go on. What about my hands?”

“You see the HUD your goggles are projecting around your gloves?” The supergirl asked. “Those are the list of options you can do with your gloves. For starters, I recommend you tap your index finger with your thumb.”

Ken did just that, which activates his gloves to have sticky paddings on the palm.

“Now go over to that wall and try climbing up.”

Ken did just that, which furthers his fascination as he finds himself climbing along the wall, up to the ceiling, as if he was Spider-Man himself.

“Wow, this is amazing!” Hum Drum exclaimed happily. “It’s like being Spider-Man, but without the Spidey sense and the whole web shooting!” After climbing back down to the floor, Ken asked, “So what else can I do with my fingers?”

“Tap your middle finger for the retractable blades we’ve installed into your gloves,” Masked Matter-Horn instructed.

Hum Drum did just that, and was awestruck to see sharp dog-like claws jutting from his fingertips.

“Whoa!!” The boy gasped.

“Hey, Ken!” Fili-Second called. “There’s a call for you on your ring finger!”

“A call?” Hum Drum asked, tapping on his ring finger, causing his glove to vibrate, like a telephone, before a screen was projected on his wrist, displaying sound waves and a picture of Mary Allen.

“Oh! Ring as in a phone ringing!” Hum Drum laughed along with Fili, getting the joke. “I get it.”

“Now press your pinky finger to deactivate your glove’s entire functions,” Masked Matter-Horn instructed.

Hum Drum did just that, “Wow, this suit’s gloves is kinda cool!” Hum Drum commented. “So what else?”

Later, the Power Princesses helped Hum Drum go over more of his suit’s functions.

“Click your heels together to activate the spring-jump of your boots!” Radiance lectured, which Hum Drum complies and finds himself bouncing all over the room.

“Whoo-hoo! Super jump!” Hum Drum whooped.

“Hold your cape out so you can glide or float your way down,” Zapp advised, and Hum Drum did just that.

“Whoa!” Ken exclaimed. “This could really come in handy sometime.”

“And just in case for any bare essentials,” Radiance began. “I’ve also packed your utility belt with some of the handy gadgets, in case the situation calls for them.”

Hum Drum reaches into his belt, pulling out an array of handcuffs, an extendable metal rod, and a Line Launcher — much like the one Batman uses to fire wires and zips across large gaps.

“Awesome!” Hum Drum gasped.

“Alright,” Mistress Marvelous stepped forward. “Now that you’re caught up with the basics of your suit, it’s time to put them all to good use in a fight. Put ‘em up, Hum Drum.”

“Are you serious?” Hum Drum gasped.

“Yup. Now put ‘em up.”

Fighting is Magic — Applejack Stage

“First off, breathe slow, breathe deep, and don’t let the adrenaline get to ya,” The supergirl lectures. “Keep yer hips square to yer opponent.”

“Got it,” Hum Drum followed.

"And as I recall, you took a karate class, right?" Mistress Marvelous asked. "Well now let's see you put it to some use."

"I'm only a yellow belt, so...just goes easy on me, please?"

"I'll try."

With that, the two began sparring with Ken throwing some of the basic martial art moves he was taught. He threw a quick punch, followed by a front kick, which flowed into a side kick, and a roundhouse kick.

Mistress Marvelous skillfully blocked and deflected all of Hum Drum’s attacks, up until the boy was out of breath.

“Okay, so you can at least fight,” Mistress Marvelous said. “Now let’s see how good ya are at defending yourself. Ready?”

Without giving Hum Drum a chance to reply, Mistress Marvelous threw a quick punch, catching Hum Drum off guard, and sent him flying off his feet, before he landed in the floor.

“Oh!” Hum Drum grunted. “Ow! Hey! I wasn’t ready!”

“What did ya expect? Someone to shout ‘begin?‘“ Zapp asked rhetorically. “That’s not gonna happen in a real fight, Wonder Boy!”

“Zapp’s right,” Mistress Marvelous sighed, shaking her head, as she helped Ken up to his feet. “These crooks and criminals are going to fight dirty. So ya need to be on high alert, all the time.”

“Yeah, my rib’s kinda absorbed that lesson already,” Hum Drum nodded in acknowledgment.

“Now, let’s go again,” Mistress Marvelous said, as the two resume their training.

As Marvelous had advised, Hum made sure to keep his guards up. Whenever he wasn’t throwing his own attacks, he made sure to anticipate some of the girl’s attacks, to evade, block, and counterattack.

However, while he managed to evade a few, he wasn’t strong enough to block some of Marvelous’s other attacks, causing him to fall, with bumps and bruises he’s certain to have in the next coming days.

Nevertheless, even after being knocked down several times by Mistress, Hum Drum manages to get back up to continue the fight. And each time he got up, the more he improved in his agility and reflexes.

End of Music

“Wow!” Hum Drum exclaimed. “I think that karate class is starting to pay off.”

“You’ve got skills, Ken,” Mistress Marvelous complimented. “But yer not a full fledged Harmonus Defender yet. You have a lot to learn, until you’re good on yer own.”

“Yeah, I know,” Hum Drum nodded. “But I’m not worried. As long as we’re together, we can handle anything!”


For the rest of the week, after school and after he was done with his homework, Ken would resume his training with the Power Princesses, to get himself familiar with his suit’s mechanisms and to improve in his fighting skills.

With each training, Ken’s skills as Hum Drum continues to grow with every passing days. The young earthling teenager was on his way of becoming his city’s very own superhero.


A Week Later

After another day of school, hanging with his alien girls in disguise, and the usual trouble he got from the two bullies, Brick and Boomers, Ken was never more than happy to be out of school.

After he got most of his school assignments done, Ken ran to the park, close to the Power Princesses’s hiding spot, and changed into his suit.

“Finally!” Hum Drum sighed happily.

Then, with a click of his heels, Hum Drum activates his boots’ spring jump mechanisms, and he super-jumped away.

For his first agenda of the day, Hum Drum decided to jump around the city, patrolling the streets to monitor the criminal activities that were going on, and to answer any calls for help.

He was gliding across the streets, when an old lady was heard screaming, “Help! Somebody help! My baby is stuck in the tree!” She screamed, desperately calling someone to rescue her baby. A little tuxedo kitten.

“Don’t worry, ma’m!” Hum Drum declared as he jumps to the rescue. The boy climbed up the tree, until he was at the same branch the Kitty was on. “Here kitty, kitty, kitty,” He called to the kitten.

Then, unexpectedly, the kitten jumped onto Hum Drum’s face, screeching and yowling wildly.

“AH! Omigosh!!” Hum Drum wailed, as he lost his footing, and he fell down the tree branches, until he was hanging upside down, by the leg, with the kitten still hanging onto his cape.

“Oh! Thank goodness!” The old woman thanked the young hero-in-training, as she cradled her kitten lovingly.

“Happy to be of service,” Hum Drum moaned. “Now can someone please get me down?”

After Hum Drum was freed from the tree, he was doing parkour, jumping across rooftops and flying pass a large billboard with an image of a woman with red hair, freckle face, dressed in a red hoodie and black pants, with words in a speech bubble that reads: "The Voice!"

Later, he stopped to catch his breath, near a water tower.

“Hey!” A voice called out, which Ken turned to see two men getting hot dogs.

One of them was wearing cyan headphones, with blue hairs and the tips colored red, wearing a white shirt that has the picture of a tombstone wearing headphones, blue jeans and red shoes. The other man, carrying a boombox, appears to be about the first man's age, with scruffy green hair with yellow-green stripes, wearing a light yellow shirt that has the picture of a flaming toaster, jeans, and black shoes.

“You’re that Wonder Boy with the Power Princesses, right?” The man wearing headphones asked.

“Call me, Hum Drum!” The young hero-in-training shouted.

“Okay, Hum Drum. Do a flip!” Hum Drum complies, managing to do a single backflip. “Yeah!”

“Not bad!” The man carrying the boombox complimented.

With another holler, Hum Drum leapt off the roof and resumes his hero work.

On the way, he happened to meet a young woman with dark red hair, glasses that frames her matching red eyes, and dressed in dark gothic clothes. She is a bestselling author, by the pen name CW. She was lost, on her way to an author reading, where she will be reading her latest book. So Hum Drum helped her out by pointing her in the right directions to the reading.

After helping the lost author on her way, the next thing Ken did was practicing some of his karate skills he learned from his class.

Later, a man appeared to be breaking into a car, when Hum Drum happened along and attacked him, pinning him down, activating the car’s alarm, and handcuffed him to a tree.

“Stealing cars is bad!” Hum Drum scolded.

“It’s my car, dumbass!” The man countered.

“Hey!” Another man joined in the argument. “That’s not your car! That’s his!”

“I’m sorry!” Him Drum apologized. “I thought he was a car thief!”

“Yo! Do you mind?” A young man with brown hair and blue eyes, wearing a dark gray jacket with an image of a dark gray griffin with pointy ears, dark blue accents and yellow eyes, dark blue jeans, and white shoes exclaimed. “My friend and I we’re in the middle of making a homage to Michael Jackson’s The Thriller!”

“Hey! Shut that off!” A woman shouted, demanding the car’s alarm to be turned off.

“Don’t make me come down there, punk!” A random old man shouted.

Later, after clearing up the misunderstanding and making a quick escape from the awkward scene, Ken was resuming his patrol, when he happens to pass a senior high school girl, sunbathing, in a string bikini and singing:

Da Da dum doodle dee

Da doodle doodle dee

It's not pretty being me

Da doodle doodle dee

Da doodle doodle dee

Da doodle doodle dee

“Huh?!” Hum Drum gasped, taken by her beauty, not looking where he was going and crashes into a billboard.

*BOOM*

“OOOH!!!” Hum Drum grunted, before he moaned. “I’m okay...”


Later

Ken was sitting atop of a building, enjoying the breathtaking view of the city at sunset.

The young hero was reading some of his favorite comics to pass the time and to find inspirations. Though, the comics he seemed to be most invested in were the comics of the heroines, including Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz), Zatanna, and Bumblebee.

“Wow, this Lauren Faust author knows how to write a story for these babes!” Hum Drum commented, before he reaches out for another book to read.

“And now, tonight’s pièce de résistance!” Hum Drum declared as he reads the next comic, written by one Pia-Sama.

Author's Note:

Hum Drum's first suit

  1. Super-jumping – Courtesy of the super springs in his boots.
  2. Gloves – Depends on whichever fingers he taps on with his thumb.

    • Index finger—Sticky pads for climbing
    • Middle finger—Retractable sharp nails
    • Ring finger—To talk on the communicator around his wrist
    • Pinky finger—Deactivates all functions
  3. Cape – Incorporated with a thin lattice of flexible rods that could be used to grant him glider-like capabilities.

Be sure to keep an eye out for more respective cameos of some beloved bronies and pegasisters from here on out!

If anyone reading the story would also like to make an appearance in the story, then send me and alpha a PM, with the details of your personas, and we’ll see about setting you up for an appearance in the story.

PreviousChapters Next