• Published 31st Oct 2019
  • 6,571 Views, 247 Comments

The Power Princesses - Phantom-Dragon



The story of Ken Heathspike and the girls of his life, the Power Princesses.

  • ...
11
 247
 6,571

PreviousChapters Next
The Power Apprentice

“This is Sam T. Eagle, with another breaking news regarding the recent events happening in our crime ridden city, Maretropolis. Today, in downtown, an attack occurred at a fashion show, threatening the lives of millions, including the lovely supermodel, Flower Knight. Have reports coming in from eyewitnesses, stating that the attacks was conducted by some madwoman with large strands of green hair, moving like a mass of living snakes.”

"You could say that she's our Maretropolis Medusa, isn't she, Sam?" An anchor woman asked.

"Tsk! Tell me about it, Tara," Sam scoffed. "Thankfully, though, more lives would've been lost to this hairy maniac if hadn't been–Wait a minute! Mane-iac! That's gold! Trademark that!" After a moment of composing himself, Sam T. Eagle resumes his news broadcast. "As I was saying, this hairy criminal, as we are now referring to her as the Mane-iac would've gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for this team of superheroes, whom everyone are now calling, the Power Princesses!"

"But what about that young man there, Sam?" Tara asked. "He looks to be more of a Robin than a princess. Excuse me, sir?"

The anchorwoman called to a young man with light blue hair, and green eyes, wearing a black and white checkerboard patterned vest, red sneakers, blue jeans, and yellow shirt with an eight ball on it, and a necklace of three dice.

"Pray tell, do you have anything to say about the Power Princesses and this boy with them?" She asked.

"Well, I don't know what else to tell ya, besides the fact that these princesses have powers," The man replied. "One of them can shoot lightning blasts, another just zips off in a blur of pink. Y'know, the usual kind you see in superhero comics and movies."

"Uh-huh," Tara nodded, as she speaks into the microphone. "And about the boy, what can you tell us about him?"

"You mean, the Wonder Boy?" In response, the man cringed, making a hiss through his teeth, before he commented, "The kid's gonna get himself killed, you know? He looks rather out of place, dressing up as Robin, and blindly confronting that crazy lady like that."

"And there you have it, Sam!" Tara reported. "The plan was foiled by the Power Princesses and this boy called the Wonder Boy. Back to you, Sam."


Meanwhile, somewhere in Maretropolis

“Are you that crazy?!” Aurora exclaimed, as she and the Power Princesses all looked at Ken with disapproving looks. “Do you even have any idea what you were doing back there? You could’ve been killed!!”

“... I know, I know,” Ken nodded sadly. “I get that now. And I’m sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t cut it,” Dallas shook her head. “What if someone died? Different story, that’s on you. And if you died, I’m afraid to think that that’s on us. And we don’t need that on our conscience now, do we? Especially how would we explain it to yer folks? Did you ever think about that?”

Ken looked up at the Power Princesses with saddened expression, “I just wanted to help out, for once,” He said. “I wanted to grow to be like my dad. Always standing out front, protecting and serving the people. I’m tired of standing out on the sideline all the time, not being able to do anything to help.”

“You can help by sticking to what you’re good at, and not trying to be someone or something you’re not,” Trots Summers said. “Being a hero doesn’t mean throwing yourself blindly in danger. It means helping people and doing the right thing in your own special way.”

“Easy for you to say!” Ken replied. “You’ve all got powers! You can fly, and fight, and you know, shoot bolts of lightning and stuff. Me? I’m just a normal guy. I don’t have any special powers or abilities that’s worth of a superhero.”

The Power Princesses were all silent for a moment, before Mary broke the silence, “You make a great coordinator,” She said. “We wouldn’t have defeated that crazy hair lady if you hadn’t told me to throw that pizza grenade!”

“Or when ya told me to hogtie her and hurled her halfway across the city,” Dallas added. “That’s something special about ya. And besides, ya did kinda helped us win in the end.”

“Yeah,” Ken nodded. “Yeah! I guess I did helped save the day after all!”

“Whoa, steady there, Ken,” Trots ordered. “Remember you’re still just a normal person, by Earthling standard. Besides, this is just one victory. There’ll be inevitably more difficult battles to come.”

“I’m afraid Trots is right, Sugarcube,” Dallas said. “We’re bound to be facing more difficult challenges soon. Unless...” She scratches her chin and pondered. “Unless...”

“Unless what?” Zapp asked.

“Huddle!” Dallas said, directing Ken away as she and the Power Princesses all huddled together, to have a private talk.

“I’m thinking, what if we could take Ken in and train him as our apprentice?” Dallas suggested.

“You sure about that, Dallas?” Trots asked. “No offense, but Ken doesn’t actually have the chops for it.”

“I’m sure he’ll do fine,” Dallas replied. “He just needs some guidance, that’s all. Don’t forget the way he manages to hold his own in that game of dodgeball.”

“Dallas is right,” Zapp nodded. “Ken’s got potential.”

“But are you sure about this?” Spruce asked. “I wouldn’t want him to get hurt because of us.”

“Then as long as we’re there beside him, we’ll never let anything bad happen to him,” Dallas suggested. “Besides, maybe someday, when we’re not here anymore, he can handle things as his own hero, and probably teach what we’ve taught him to the next generation of heroes.”

With that, the Power Princesses all exchange agreements, until only Trots was left to voice her approval or disapproval.

The leading heroine blew a strand of her hair, “I just hope we don’t regret it,” She said, before they broke apart and turned to Ken. “So, Ken. After much deliberation, we’ve decided to take you as our apprentice.”

“Whoa, really?!” Ken asked, excitedly.

“Really?” Delilah asked.

“Uh, really,” Trots confirmed.

“Oh! Thank you, my princesses!” Ken bowed his head gratefully. “Thank you! I promise, you won’t be disappointed. I’ll do my very best! What’s my first agenda? What do you need me to do? Just say the word and I’ll get it done!”

“Well first off, change your name, Wonder Boy to something else,” Aurora suggested.

“What?” Ken asked in dismay. “What’s wrong with it?”

“It just sounds rather bland,” Dallas shook her head. “Ya need something snappy. Something that really makes a statement.”

“Something that’s more original,” Trots added.

“Okay,” Ken pondered, before he said, “How about, Dragonfire?”

“Dragonfire?” Trots asked. “You don’t look like a Dragonfire, unfortunately.”

“Not yet~” Mary sang.

“Then how about The Power Knight Of Maretropolis?”

“Too long,” Radiance shook her head, with the rest of the girls shaking along in agreement. “And rather long-winded.“

“Wait! I got it!” Mary bounced excitedly. “Hum Drum!”

“Hum Drum?” Ken asked, unsure what it meant. “Why?”

“Eh, I has a nice ring to it,” Mary shrugged. “And because it gives bad guys the message that you’re the underdog and our sidekick in training.”

“Oh, okay,” Ken nodded in approval, before he did a double take. “Wait! Underdog?!”

“As in like that old cartoon from the 60s?” Delilah asked.

However, the Power Princesses ignored the questions, “Then it’s settled,” Trots said. “From this day on, you will be known as Hum Drum.”

Ken shrugged, “Then it’s official. I am Hum Drum.”

“Now about your suit...” Green began. “Oh! I've got it! I have an idea!”

"Hmmm?" Everyone pondered.


Later that afternoon

Ken was waiting outside a room, in the Power Princesses' crashed spaceship, with Delilah and the princesses, minus Radiance.

"So, what's Green doing in there?" Ken asked.

"I have no idea," Mistress Marvelous answered. "But whatever it is, and knowing the gal, she's probably gonna present it with some dramatic effects."

Then, as if on cue, the doors burst open with a flash of light and Radiance appeared, hollering, "TA-DA~"

"Told ya."

“So Green,” Ken began. “What’s up? What were you up to in there?”

“Well, now then you’ve officially become our apprentice, then the first order of business is to give you a new suit,” The girl explained.

“A new suit?” With that, Ken and the girls walked into the room, to see his brand new suit on display, inside of a glass container. “This is my new suit?!” He exclaimed.

In appearance, it looked almost like the Halloween Robin costume he was wearing, but with a few exceptions and modifications.

The black face mask is equipped with glass lenses, and the cape was changed from golden yellow to crimson red, clipped around the neck by a yellow pin, with small pockets sewn on the inside. The jumpsuit was colored olive green with purple paddings along the elbow, chest, and hip. Dark blue gloves, boots, and a belt tied at the waist, with a yellow buckle with an emerald in the center.

“Wow! Oh my goodness!” Ken smiles excitedly, pressing his face against the container. “This is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen! My very own superhero costume!”

“Actually, you’re more of a super apprentice,” Masked Matter-Horn stated.

“Whatever! I’m so in love with this suit! It’s like it’s asking me to put it on right now!”

“And so you can!” With that, Radiance presses a button, in which Ken suddenly finds himself spinning into a tornado as the suit was sucked from its container and dons itself on him, transforming the earthling boy into Hum Drum.

“Whoa! Cool!” Hum Drum exclaimed, as he checks himself out, getting adjusted to the HUD (heads-up display) projected on his lens, and doing a few stretches. “Though, a little tight, down below. But thanks! Now I feel like I’m part of the team!”

“Not yet,” Masked Matter-Horn shook her head. “First, please kneel on one knee. Left or right, it doesn’t matter.” Hum Drum complies as he kneels down on the floor and bowed his head. Trots walked over to a glass container where a greatsword with a golden hilt is placed. She looks at the blade for a good second before taking it out of its case. She then approaches Ken, “By the power vested in me, I, Princess Nova Star hereby dub thee, Hum Drum, Harmonus apprentice,” Masked Matter-Horn stated, tapping the sword on both of the boy’s shoulders. “You may rise up.”

“Wow!” Hum Drum gasped. “Me, your apprentice! I wish I can tell mom and dad about this!” The boy’s excitement quickly dissipated when he remembered. “Oh no! I can’t! The most important rule for all superheroes. It’s never reveal their secret identity, even to their family members. Otherwise, there’ll be consequences.”

“But hey, it’s all part of the excitement in adventure, right?” Zapp smirked. “Now, let me ask you one final question, Hum Drum. Are you ready to begin?”

“Hell yeah!” Hum Drum pumped his fist excitedly. “Let’s go save some lives! Excelsior!”

“Ahem,” Delilah cleared her throat. “Any chance I could have some accessories, such as this to make a statement?”

“Ooh, I’m terribly sorry, Delilah,” Green apologized. “But I didn’t exactly thought of a costume for you to wear.

Miffed, the Dalmatian blew a raspberry.


Sitting in his office chair, at his desk and watching the news broadcast on a large flatscreen TV was the mayor of Maretropolis.

In appearance, the mayor appeared to be in his 40s, with pale skin, a chubby body shape, and balding. His attires are a suit with dark brown bow tie, matching jacket over a lighter brown vest, black pants and shoes. On his desk, sat a large top hat with red ribbon.

“Power Princesses?” The mayor scoffed, when suddenly his phone rang. “Mayor Verko,” The man answered. “Who is this?”

“Verko,” A familiar voice called. “Are you seeing what I’m seeing?”

“Oh, Mr. The Storm King,” The mayor nervously answered, before he composed himself. “I...I presume you’re referring to what happened in downtown? Yes. I saw it. It’s all over the news, sir.”

“Oh, good! Care to explain the meaning of this?” The Storm King asked in a venomous tone.

“Explain? What exactly do I have to explain about, sir?” Mayor Verko asked.

“I was just curious, since you practically run this city. Then you’d obviously know everything that goes on this town. So you must know something about these Power Princesses. And it just so happens a few nights ago, my ‘associates‘, the Diamond Dogs, had a failed bank robbery because of these supposed superheroes. Coincidence? I don’t think so.”

“Now I’ve got some questions and you’re going to answer them, Verko,” The mayor gulped as the Storm King continues, “Like where did they come from? What kind of fancy gadgets do they have to pull off all those fancy special effects? And who’s running this ‘superheroes’ operation of theirs? Know anything?”

“I-I-I‘m afraid I don’t know sir,” Mayor Verko answered. “But I’ll look into it and find out. The MPD’s might have a lead, since they were there. I’ll start by having a talk with the Chief of Police, sir. He could at least help with finding who these Power Princesses are.”

“See that you do, Verko. The last thing we need is a team of do-gooders getting in my way, or even some upstart thinking she is top dog in my city.”

“Understood, sir,” Verko was about to hang up, when the Storm King stopped him.

“Remember Verko, I built this town,” The Storm King threatened. “I built your city. And you’re in power, because of me. If anything goes wrong in my city, you’ll be the one to answer it. You hear me?”

“Loud and clear,” The mayor confirmed.

Author's Note:

Coming up, starting in the next chapter, expect for some brony/pegasisters cameos.

PreviousChapters Next