• Published 31st Oct 2019
  • 6,587 Views, 248 Comments

The Power Princesses - Phantom-Dragon



The story of Ken Heathspike and the girls of his life, the Power Princesses.

  • ...
11
 248
 6,587

PreviousChapters Next
The Path of Hum Drum Part 3 – The Leader

It was a Saturday morning in Maretropolis, when Trot Summers was sitting in the dining room of the Heathspike’s resident, doing some reading on the histories and the lore of Maretropolis.

“Wow, this is a fascinating read,” Trot commented. “This city started out as a small port town, when...”

“Hey Trot!” Ken greeted the girl, as he and Delilah walked into the room. “Whatcha doing? I thought you were out doing a patrol of the city with the girls.”

“Oh, they are,” Trot confirmed. “I was just catching up on some reading on the history of your city. For instance, the city started out as a small port town called Fortuna, before a huge gem mine was discovered, and by 1947, it officially became a bustling city and was renamed Maretropolis!”

“Yeah, Maretropolis has quite the history,” Ken nodded, while secretly thinking, ‘Then again, I’m not much of a historic person.’

“Oh my!” Trot commented, when she happens upon a section of the history book that caught her attention. “It says here that in the 1920s, a man of Roman-Italian descendant named Don Thrace rose to power and founded the Thracian Family.“

“Oh, the Thracians, they’re some of the worse crooks in history, next to Jesse James and Al Capone,” Ken rolled his eyes. “In fact, that’s how Maretropolis’s trouble with the criminals got started.“

“I’m not surprised,” Trot agreed. “With so many resources, it opens up hundreds of opportunities to set up shop, even for the criminal elements. There’s a long list of past infamous crime bosses, corrupt police officers, and criminal syndicates. Something like this we’d never have on Harmonus.”

“Well, unfortunately, I doubt every single planets have the same type of judicial law, or jurisdiction from you guys come from.”

“But pray tell,” Delilah began. “How did you dealt with your criminals? By that, I mean how did you enforce the laws?”

Trot looked away for a brief moment, still saddened at the thought of her destroyed home planet.

Still, she answered the Dalmatian’s question to the best of her abilities, “Back on Harmonus, we don’t usually have many criminals who committed such heinous crimes, let alone murder. And even if someone did committed such a crime, then it's punishable by a one way trip into Harmonus's sun."

"Wh-what?! A one way trip into the sun?!" Ken exclaimed. "But...that's like...a death sentence!"

"That's the point."

"Wow, eesh, I think I get the idea of how you enforce your laws then," Ken shuddered. "Kinda make Gort look like an upstanding officer of the law..." He said, making a pop culture reference to the 1951 classic The Day the Earth Stood Still.

"Who's Gort?" Trots asked.

"Uh...just a...robot...from a Sci-Fi movie," answered Ken.

"Oh..."

Wanting to drop the subject and move on with their day, Trots began, "Anyway, the day's still young and I'm thinking about doing some patrolling on the south of the city," Trots stood up from the chair and was on her way out the door, when she stopped and turned to Ken and Delilah, "Want to come?"


Once again, Ken dons up his suit as Hum Drum and was jumping around town, following Masked Matter-Horn, leading their patrol. Delilah, meanwhile, was running after the two heroes on foot, in the streets.

"Humans," Delilah panted to herself. "Can't they ever slow down for some good dogs?"

"Whoo-hoo!" Hum Drum hollered as he leapt in the air and did a front flip...or at least attempted one. "AAAH!!!"

"Whoa!" Masked Matter-Horn quickly caught the boy, moments away from crashing and breaking his neck. "Careful there, Ken!"

"Hum Drum!" Hum Drum quickly shouted, for fear someone might've heard him call.

"I mean, Hum Drum!" The alien girl corrected herself. "Be careful! You're still just a fledgling. You could hurt yourself!"

"Sorry about that, Masked Matter-Horn," The young hero in training apologized. "Being a hero's really exciting to me and...I feel so alive. You know?"

"I completely respect that, Hum Drum," Masked Matter-Horn replied. "But still, you have to be more careful and not do anything reckless."

"I hear you, Matter-Horn, and I promise, I'll exercise better caution next time."

"For everyone's sake, you had better," Masked Matter-Horn resumed their patrol, with Ken following closely behind.

"Hold up!" Delilah barked, much to the bewilderments of a few citizens who took notice.

In the meantime, Hum Drum and the Masked Matter-Horn were continuing with their patrol, when something caught Hum Drum’s attention.

“Hey!” He pointed, down an alley. “Is that our science teacher, Dr. Hoofensmirtz?”

Masked Matter-Horn looked to the man Hum Drum was pointing.

“It is Dr. Hoofensmirtz!” She confirmed.

The said evil minded man himself was carrying a large brown sack, over his back, as he walks down the alley, while looking behind him to make sure he wasn’t being followed. However, he had failed to notice that his actions were spotted by the two superheroes.

“Wonder what he’s up to...” With a touch to the side of his mask, Hum Drum’s eye lens started scanning and analyzed the contents the man was carrying in his bag.

His eye lenses quickly confirmed the contents to be large robotic parts of a huge drill.

“What the what?” Hum Drum exclaimed. “If my lenses are seeing right, he’s carrying a large drill. But what could he be drilling for around here? There’s hardly any oils to be found in the city... unless he’s found another gem mine...”

“Let’s follow him quietly and see what he’s up to,” Masked Matter-Horn said.

The alien girl silently floating down from her perch, with her telekinesis, while Hum Drum followed, gliding down with the aid of his cape.

“Wow! I’m totally in love with this suit!” Ken geeked out. “I can just imagine myself as Batman and Robin.”

“Focus, Ken,” Masked Matter-Horn reminded the boy as they begin their stealth mission to follow the mad doctor.

Not too far behind, Ken’s talking dog, Delilah soon caught up, and was panting heavily out of breath.

She looked up to see that both her owner and his new alien friend were already in the move.

Too tired and exhausted from all the running, Delilah let out an exasperated sigh and plopped to the ground.


“Okay Dr. Hoofensmirtz,” Hum Drum said to himself. “What is it you’re up to?”

The young teenage boy navigated his way through the alleyways, as he tailed his mad teacher. Meanwhile, Masked Matter-Horn went topside; searching across the rooftops.

“I’m going to see where the doctor is heading to from up here,” Masked Matter-Horn said, via the communicator on Hum Drum’s wrist. “You keep following the doctor on your end. Keep me posted.”

“Got it, Trots,” Hum Drum replied, before he clicked his communicator off to resume his pursuit.

Hum Drum kept following the evil minded doctor close, while also making sure to keep his distance so as to not alert the mad man.

As for Hoofensmirtz, the man was walking down the alleyways, when he took another glance behind his back.

Luckily, Hum Drum has rolled to the side of a large dumpster to avoid being seen. The young hero in training waited until Hoofensmirtz resumed his walk, before Hum Drum could resume following after the man.

At last, Hum Drum soon arrived at a dock, where large ships were mooring, with large crates lined up around the yards.

Hum Drum searches across the yard, until he spotted Hoofensmirtz walking into a large warehouse, with a large sign that reads: “Hoofensmirtz’s Auto-Repair Warehouse.”

“He’s got his own auto-repair shop, at a dock?“ With a touch of his ring finger, Hum Drum activates the communicator on his wrist and clicked on Masked Matter-Horn’s icon.

“Hey! Trots? Can you hear me?”

“I can hear you, Ken,” Masked Matter-Horn confirmed. “What’s happening?”

“I’ve followed Dr. H to the dock. He’s in a warehouse, but he’s labeled it as an auto repair shop. It’s rather suspicious since he’s a scientist and I don’t think repairing automobiles is part of scientist’s criteria. Is it?”

“I may not have lived on earth for so long, Ken. But I’ve read one of your elder’s philosophy that it’s unwise to judge a book by its cover. That and there’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing.” Masked Matter-Horn lectured.

“What?”

“Well, that and everyone has to have a hobby...either way, you’d better check it out and see what he’s up to. I’ll keep a lookout from out here. But remember Ken. Don’t try and engage in any physical violence.” Masked Matter-Horn advised. “If Dr. Hoofensmirtz is doing anything serious or dangerous, just wait until I get there.”

Hum Drum let out a sigh, before he reluctantly complied, “Aright, Trots. I won’t,” He switched his communicator off. “But it doesn’t mean I can’t...”

While remaining unseen, Hum Drum made his way towards the warehouse, by hitching a ride on the back of a passing truck’s cargo, climbing on top, before he ran across the crates that have been set up, around the wharf.

Then, once he saw he was close enough, Hum Drum leapt off to spread his cape out, enabling him to glide. With a tap of his index finger, he activated the sticky pads on his gloves and boots, and he literally sticks the landing on the side of the warehouse. From there, Hum Drum proceeded to climb along the walls, searching for an opening, be it a window or a vent.

It didn’t take long for Hum Drum to find an open window at the top of the roof, where he was able to crawl through and entered the building.

Inside the warehouse, there was a large truck, with all four of its wheels missing, and its motor disassembled. On the right wall, appeared to be a tool board where an array of various tools were hanging above a workbench, with tires and parts of motorcycles and tanks of gasolines next to it. At the wall, in front of Hum Drum is where the roll-up door is located, with a simple door on the right of the interior, where several locks were in place.

"Eh, what's up doc?" Hum Drum greeted to the empty building. "Oh, that's a corny joke. But I thought it was good."

After he detached himself from the ceiling, Hum Drum landed on the floor to begin his investigation.

“Okay...well, looks almost like your average run of the mill, auto repair shop,” The boy walked around the truck, looking at it up and down. “Dr. H’s either in the middle of restoring a client’s truck, or he’s trying to convert it into a monster truck... hmm...”

Turning to the tool board, Hum Drum walked over to inspect some of the tools.

“Kinda cliche,” Hum Drum commented. “But it’s not like I haven’t seen this in a million movies.”

The boy proceeded to take some of the tools off, until he came across a wrench that stayed in place, turning to the left, making some gears to click in place.

This activated a hidden elevator to pull up, lifting the truck off the floor, and a door opens up.

“No way!” Hum Drum exclaimed, as he tapped on his eye lenses, activating a built-in camera, before he talks to Masked Matter-Horn on his communicator. “Trots! It’s Ken again! You better come and check this out! I found a secret elevator, and I think it’s where Dr. H is.”

“I’m on my way, Ken,” Masked Matter-Horn said. “Stay right where you are.”

Hum Drum nodded as he complied, turning his communicator off and sat down on the floor, crossing his legs and waited for Masked Matter-Horn to arrive.

It was at that moment, Hum Drum remembered something, or someone.

“Delilah!”


Meanwhile, back with Delilah

The Dalmatian was napping on the floor for what felt like an hour, until she woke up with a yawn and stretched her legs.

“Oh! I’m not as spry as I used to be when I was just a pup,” Delilah muttered, before she looked around. “Now, I’d better go and find Ken and Trots.”

With a sniff of her nose, Delilah caught whiff of her owner’s scent and followed down the alley, before she arrives at the dock.

And just in time.


A Few Moments earlier

“Delilah!” Hum Drum exclaimed, remembering he and Masked Matter-Horn had left the Dalmatian in the city. “Aw, I hope she’s alright after leaving her like that.”

Just then, Masked Matter-Horn arrived into the warehouse via the window in the ceiling.

“Good work, Hum Drum,” Masked Matter-Horn said. “Now let’s see what the doc is up to.”

The two heroes entered the elevator as it took them down into an underground cavern, with old rusty railroad tracks, pickaxes lying in the ground, and oil lamps hanging on the walls.

“Looks like an old gem mine,” Hum Drum noted. “Except there are no gemstones or seven dwarves singing and mining for them.”

“From the looks of it, I’d say this place closed down after the resources dried up,” Masked Matter-Horn said.

“That’s how they get ya. And since then, crimes began to stir up with a lot of desperate folks going after one another, just to survive...”

The two kept on walking through the tunnels, when Masked Matter-Horn noticed something amiss.

“Wait, Hum Drum!” She holds her hand out. “Stand back.”

She got down on the floor, focusing her mentality to project a horn which sprayed a fine mist of snow to reveal lasers that bounced the walls and crossing over the floor.

“Whoa! Good job spotting that,” Hum Drum complimented.

“First thing you gotta know about criminals, they’re always going to set up traps,” Masked Matter Horn lectured. “So be careful.” With that, she turned the mist into ice to freeze the wall and disable the laser beams.

“Duly noted,” Hum Drum followed Masked Matter Horn, until they came to the end of the tunnel and saw flashes of sparks coming from a doorway.

“There he is!” Hum Drum pointed, as he and Masked Matter-Horn both put their backs against the walls.

They slowly inched their heads to see what Dr. Hoofenshmirtz was up to.

They can see the doctor was wearing a mask, for protection as he held up a pair of tools to install something, sending sparks flying.

The two heroes looked up and were shocked to see a large drilling machine that’s about as big as a ship with giant tracks. It has two large drills mounted on both the front and end, with more drills equipped along the sides.

“What is that machine?” Hum Drum asked. “And what’s he going to do with it?”

“I can answer that my young inquisitive meddler,” The doctor answered, surprising both heroes as they revealed themselves.

“How long have you known we were here?” Masked Matter-Horn asked, as she and Hum Drum got into fighting stances.

“When somebody entered my private elevator and triggered my silent alarm,” Dr. Hoofenshmirtz gloated as he proceeded to press a button, on a nearby control panel, which triggered a cage to fall in.

“Look out!” Masked Matter-Horn shouted, shoving Hum Drum out of the way, as the cage trapped her.

“Matter-Horn!” Hum Drum shouted, as he activated his gloves retractable claws in an attempt to slice the bars.

“Don’t bother, these bars are made of pure titanium,” Dr. Hoofenshmirtz rolled his eyes. “They’re one of the strongest piece of metals on Earth.”

“What are you up to, Hoofenshmirtz?” Masked Matter-Horn asked. “What are you going to do with that machine?”

“Well, I’ll tell you. As you may have already noticed, this gem mine that I bought a few months back is dried up! You can’t find another trace of those beautiful gem stones for a mile! So then I decided, why mine for gems when I can dig for gold with this! My Evil Gold Digger-Inator! I plan to use this machine to tunnel underneath all the banks in Maretropolis! And then my machine will suck up all the banks dry of money!”

Hum Drum and Masked Matter-Horn were shocked at the revelation.

“That’s...that’s outrageous!” Masked Matter-Horn announced as she struggles to break free.

“Oh please, beggars can’t be choosers,” The doctor mocked. “You’re probably about to ask me why? What would I have to gain from all that? Well, to put it simply, I’m an evil genius who is out to take over the world. But in order to do that, I needed to have money. Lots and lots of money! Because, c’mon, when you’re scheming to take over the world, this kind of project don’t come cheap. It’s always about investments, insurance, and paying for henchmen, and I—“

While the doctor was busy with his ranting, Masked Matter-Horn called out to Hum Drum.

“Pssst! Hum Drum! Over here!”

The boy quickly went over to the super alien girl.

“Don’t worry, Trot,” He whispered, and begins to dig the floor. “I’ll have you out in a sec.”

“I can get myself out,” Masked Matter-Horn reassured. “But you got to stop him and that machine of his before he robs the banks. Here’s—”

“I’m on it!” Hum Drum said as he jumped away without hearing what the girl was going to say.

“No! Wait! Hum Drum! DON’T—“

But it was too late. With a thrust of his legs, Hum Drum kicked Dr. Hoofenshmirtz in the face, knocking the mad doctor into the control panel, pressing a button that started up the machine.

“What have you done?!” Dr. Hoofenshmirtz exclaimed. “You started up my machine! I haven’t even set up the coordinates for the banks!”

“Then it means your machine ain’t going anywhere,” Hum Drum said as he throws the doctor to the ground. “Too bad the same can’t be said for you. Now release Masked Matter-Horn at once!”

“We have bigger problems than you and your superhero girlfriend,” Dr. Hoofenshmirtz pointed. “Look behind you!”

Hum Drum turned around to see the machine was tunneling through the cavern walls, to the right.

“The machine is going to tunnel its way to the shorelines!” Dr. Hoofenshmirtz explained. “Once it reaches the ocean, the entire cavern will be flooded, and half of the city will fall!”

“Then how do we stop it?” Hum Drum asked. “Where’s the stop button?”

“It’s inside the cockpit. But you’ll never make it in time!”

“Not if we had anything to say about it,” Masked Matter Horn said, as she stood outside of the cage, close to where some bars were melted and pulled apart, courtesy of her energy horn glowing red hot.

“How did you get out?!” Dr. Hoofenshmirtz exclaimed in alarm.

“You’re right. Titanium is a strong metal, with a melting point of 3,034°F (1,668°C),” Masked Matter-Horn stated, before her energy horn turns blue. “And as the police would say. FREEZE!” She said as she blasted a strong ray of cryogenic air that freezes the mad doctor, except for his head and hands, into a coat of ice.

“CURSE YOU MASKED MATTER HORN!!!” Hoofenshmirtz bellowed in outrage.

“Come on, Hum Drum!” Masked Matter m-Horn took the lead. “We’ve got to stop that machine!”

The two heroes chased after the tunneling machine. For a machine its size, it was moving surprisingly fast. Rocks and gravels were flying from the treads and flying towards both Masked Matter-Horn and Hum Drum, with several rocks coming loose and falling from the ceilings. Some nearly crushed the heroes.

"WHOA!" Hum Drum shouted, just as a stalactite came falling down and nearly crushed him.

Thankfully, Masked Matter-Horn saved him with a quick blast of telekinesis that stopped the large stone from falling on top of him.

"Phew, thanks for the save, Trot!" Hum Drum thanked the super girl.

"Anytime, Ken!" Looking back, she could see that it was futile to chase after the machine on foot. "Hold on tight, Hum Drum," She said, grasping the boy by the hand and strained as she focuses on her telekinesis to fly herself and Hum Drum after the machine.

Once they were onboard the runaway machine, Hum Drum activated his gloves sticky pads to latch himself onto the machine. He watched as Masked Matter-Horn focuses her powers to once again project an energy horn to fire a thin line of fires to cut through the metal. Ken couldn't help but notice how stressed and strain the exertion was getting to her.

"Trot? Are you okay?" Hum Drum asked in concern.

"I'll be fine," Masked Matter-Horn replied, as she opened the way for both her and Hum Drum to enter. "We have to shut this thing down and fast!"

Together, the two heroes entered the cockpit of the machine and looked to see a large screen projecting a map, with a beeping dot that indicates their current position nearing the shorelines.

"We're running out of time!" Hum Drum ran up to the panels, looking at an array of buttons and switches. "C'mon, stop button. Where are you?"

"It's not going to answer you, Ken," Masked Matter-Horn said as she walked up to his right. "Now let's see. If I know your world's technology, the stop button should like like...A-ha!" She exclaimed, setting her sight on a flashing red button, in a black-yellow stripe square, with labels that reads: Emergency Stop.

Flipping the cover up, Masked Matter Horn slammed her fist on the button, just as the machine made contact with the wall between the tunnels and the ocean. Some of the waters suddenly broke through, followed by another, until the wall burst open to let a flood of waters to break through.

Masked Matter-Horn quickly flew herself and Hum Drum ahead of the flood, before she blasted a freezing air of ice to freeze the waters in place.

"Disaster averted," Masked Matter-Horn sighed in relief.

“Now let’s go and arrest Dr. H and—Hey! Where’d he go?” Ken asked, pointing to a puddle of water, where the mad doctor in ice once stood.


After the ice had melted, Hoofenshmirtz made his escape up the elevator and into his auto-repair shop.

“So long suckers!” Hoofenshmirtz gloated. “You’ll never capture me! Dr. Heinz Hoofenshmirtz!” But the doctor spoke too soon, when he heard a growl and looked down to see Delilah, growling and barking at him.

“Uh hehe, nice doggy!” The doctor chuckled nervously. “Good doggy! Down boy!”

“I’m a girl you bloody moron,” Delilah muttered.

“WHA—YOU TALK?!” Hoofenshmirtz exclaimed in alarm, as he backed away in fright, tripping over some fishnets and ended up falling off a pier, onto a boat, with a cage full of crabs.

“OW! Oh! OH!” The mad doctor bellowed in pain, as he fell at the mercy of the crabs. “CURSE YOU, TALKING DOG!!”

Delilah simply watched in enjoyment, just as Hum Drum and Masked Matter-Horn arrived.

“Delilah!” Hum Drum called out to his dog, who happily came running up to him. “Hey old girl! How’ve you been?”

“I’m doing just as well,” Delilah answered. “Though it looks like I came in just in time to, from the looks of it,” She pointed to the doctor being pinched continuously by the crabs.

After notifying the authorities, the police arrived, with some medics to take Hoofenshmirtz away.

“I was attacked, by a talking dog!” Hoofenshmirtz ranted. “It...it jumped on me and pushed me into that boat of crabs!”

But the mad doctor’s words fell on deaf ears as he was out into the ambulance and was driven away to be checked on.

“Well he be okay?” Captain Heathspike asked a doctor.

“After he’s done getting acquainted with those crabs, we’ll see about pumping some of the sea waters out of him,” The doctor answered. “I’m getting the impression this guy’s had too much...”

Soon, the ambulance drove away, leaving the captain alone to talk to one of his fellow officers.

“Lieutenant Shining Armor,” Heathspike called. “What have you got?”

“Sir! After checking out the warehouse, our anonymous tip has been proven valid.”

“You mean there’s actually an underground lair?”

“Oh it just gets better sir. There’s a large tunneling machine beneath us. And whoever stopped it did us favor. It could’ve brought down half the city!”


After defeating Dr. Hoofenshmirtz and foiling his plan to rob the banks, Hum Drum and Masked Matter-Horn had changed back into their civilian outfits as Ken Heathspike and Trot Summers.

Ken and Trot later took Delilah to an ice cream shop, where the two young teenage heroes have chocolate fudge sundaes, while Delilah was eating a special cookie with cream flavors the shop owners made specifically for dogs.

In the meantime, Trot was doing some reading on a book, regarding the nearby infamous woodlands, Blackwater Woods.

Legend of Blackwater Woods

Also known as ‘Bloodbath Woods’ or ‘The Devil’s Forest’, there were many stories of supernatural and paranormal that explains the disappearances over the years.

Some say that deep in the heart of the woodlands is a large gem mine, that is guarded by the vicious natives who inhabit the forest. Others say that the woodlands was once the location of a town of criminals, until they mysteriously disappeared, and their vengeful spirits haunt the woodlands.

A well-known story regarding Blackwater Woods is that it was home to a tribe of goat men, who were once people that were horribly mutated by a cult that called itself the Sons of Tambleon.

The woods is also home to many monsters from North American folklore as well such as Gumberoos, Snallygastors, and the like.

The forest has also been confirmed to have quicksands, where many lives have been lost.

Whatever the stories may be, Blackwater Woods is considered a forbidden place, where not even the bravest would venture.

"Yeah, that forest is a seriously messed up place," Ken shuddered. "One time, when I was nine years old, both me and Thor were dared to go into that place by his older brother, Phineas. We barely lasted half an hour, when we were almost jumped on by...something..."

This piqued Trot's interest and she started to ask, "What kind of something?"

"I...I don't know," Ken shuddered. "Whatever it was, me and Thor never got a good look at it. We were just glad to be out of there in one piece."

Understanding this topic was frightening for Ken and that it's best not to question him further, Trot simply nodded and resumed her reading.

"Come to Kirin's Care!" A woman's voice spoke up, to which both Ken and Trot look up to see it was Kisara, who was holding out flyers. "Kirin's Care needs more volunteers."

"Hey, Ken?" Trot began. "Is that the Kisara woman you've once talked about the other day?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, that's her alright," Ken confirmed. "She rarely comes out in public for three years since her daughter disappeared. So seeing her again is a sight for sore eyes, y'know?"

Ken and Trot continued to watch as the sad woman proceeds to hand out flyers to passing folks.

"It seems she has her hands full," Trot closes her book and got up from her seat. "Come on, Ken. As you say, let's give her a hand."

Both Ken and Trot walked up to Kisara and greeted, "Hey Miss Kisara!" Ken greeted. "Long time no see!"

"Hmm? Oh, Ken! It's nice to see you again!" Kisara greeted kindly. "And you as well, Delilah!" She greeted the Dalmatian with a loving scratch by the ear, before turning to Trot, "Who's this lovely lady with you?"

"This is my new friend, Trot Summers."

"Greetings and salutations, madam," Trot greeted politely, and held her hand out for a handshake. "So nice to meet you!"

"A pleasure to meet you too!" Kisara returns the handshake, which causes most of the flyers to fly out of her hands. "Oh! Oh dear! No!" The woman struggled to reclaim most of the loose flyers, but they were already carried away by the wind.

"We'll get 'em!" Ken said as he and Delilah chased after the flyers, managing to catch a few. "Sorry Miss Kisara. But this is all we could catch."

"That's fine, Ken," Kisara sighed, looking and feeling more miserable. "I'll just have to hand out these other flyers I still have..."

Feeling sorry and saddened for the woman, Ken and Trot quickly ran over to take some of the flyers from Kisara.

"We can help you with those," Ken offered, as he, Trot, and Delilah proceeded to take some loads off of Kisara's hands and handed the flyers out to numerous people.

Once they've finished handing out the last flyer, the two teens and dog returned to Kisara and report to her the good news.

"Goodness gracious!" Kisara exclaimed. "You actually sold every single flyers, in less than an hour?"

"Surprised?" Ken smiled.

"Well, you know what they say! Divide and conquer," Trot said.

"Indubitably!" Delilah barked, before quickly remembering that she was in public.

"Who said that?" Kisara asked, looking to the left and right for the source of the voice.

"Uh, ruff, ruff, ruff!" Delilah barked to deter any suspicions away from her.

"Uh, I...I said it's indubitably correct," Trot Summers giggled sheepishly.

Kisara decided to shrug it off and expresses her gratitude, "Well, I don't know how I could thank you all for your help. I wish there was some way of repaying you."

"You don't have to repay us anything, Miss Kisara," Ken waved his hand in reassurance. "We're just glad to be of–"

"Oh! I know!" Kisara snapped her fingers. "Let me treat you all to Kirin's Care's delectable noodle soup," Kisara offered. "On the house."


Kirin's Care

Ken, Trot, and Delilah followed Kisara to a three-story building that is roughly about the size of a typical office building. The three walked up a flight of steps before arriving at the entrance of three pairs of double doors at the top. Upon walking in, the two heroes and dog were greeted to a sight of cozy and welcoming interior decorations, giving the building a warm, welcoming hospitable environment.

"Wow! Nice spread you got here!" Ken commented, as he and his friends followed Kisara into the building.

"Why thank you, Ken," Kisara smiled. "Mrs. Rain Shine took it upon herself to make this building as welcoming as it can be for all the poor and homeless in the city. Bless her soul."

"Oh yes, indeed ma'm," Trot replied in agreement, looking at all the welcoming appeals of the building.

In some odd ways, it sort of reminded her of her destroyed home, Harmonus.

As they kept walking through the hallway, Ken, Trot, and Delilah looked up to see a large sign that reads:

Kirin's Care

A shelter home for the homeless, the poor, and the needy

On the right, close to the entrance the heroes had entered appeared to be the front desk, where a staff member was checking in some of the people who were looking forward to staying in at the shelter. As the three heroes continued following Kisara through the building, they eventually came passing through a large room that used to be a gymnasium of a basketball court.

Everywhere in the gym, they could see it was packed with beds, sleeping bags, chairs, and tables for all of the people who had nowhere to go in the city. On the other side of the gym, there sat three rows of chairs, surrounding a large flat-screen TV, perched atop of a wall, where most of the people would go to watch.

As Ken, Delilah, and Trot look around, they heard someone calling out to them, "Hey Ken! Trot! What brings you two here?"

They turn to see Thor approaching them.

"Oh, hey Thor. We bumped into Miss Kisara and thought we help her with the flyers before deciding to check this place out ourselves." Ken replied, "What are you doing here?"

Thor shrugs and answered, "My mom volunteered to help these people out and brought me and my brother along. 'To build character' she said. Turns out, she and miss Rain Shine are old friends who go way back."

"I see, so where are they?" Trot asked.

"They're both in the kitchen right now, with mom making her Memory Lane Pastry." Thor answered pointing his thumb at where they are.

Trot, along with Ken and Delilah, looked to where Thor was pointing to see a woman and a young man working in the kitchen. In appearance, the woman, Aki Axel, has moderate tangelo hair and moderate gold eyes. For attire, she wore a light goldish gray shirt with a picture of a kirin on it, a jacket that's grayish apple green, light opal jeans, and dark and moderate crimson shoes.

The young man, Phineas Axel, looked somewhere around eighteen with black hair with deep crimson streaks and moderate blue eyes. For attire, he wore a very dark gray shirt, dark cyan jacket with a picture of a scorpion on the back, grayish blue jeans, and dark blue violet shoes.

"I'm surprised your brother is working in the kitchen." Ken commented.

"Yeah, he wanted to do guard duty but mom and miss Rain Shine were worried that he might make the people here a little intimated and scare them away." Thor said.

"Knowing your brother, that was probably a good call." Ken said. He knew Phineas had a very bad habit at picking fights.

Thor then notices his mother gesturing him to come over, "Gotta go guys But I'll talk later." He said as he heads back to the kitchen.

"The cafe is this way," Kisara guided her guests into the said cafe, where some of the homeless were getting their meals.

Kisara went ahead to order some food for herself and her guests. In the meantime, Ken, Trot, and Delilah went over to a table, when a familiar voice greeted them.

"Ken? Trot?" The two friends turned their head to the left to see it was none other than Phoenix Dawn.

"Hey Phoenix!" Ken greeted.

"Oh! 驚いた!What a surprise!" Phoenix exclaimed. "What brings you both here to Kirin's Care?"

"She did!" Trot pointed. "She invited us to come down here after we helped her pass out some flyers."

"Oh! How thoughtful of you two," Phoenix complimented, before Delilah barked to get some attention. "Oh! Who's this beautiful doggy?"

"This is Delilah," Ken introduced the dog. "She's the family dog. And she also helped us spread the flyers for Kisara there."

"Aw, that's a good dog!" Phoenix smiled, as she reached her head to scratch the dog affectionately behind the ear.

Just then, Kisara came back, carrying a tray of three bowls of noodle soups.

"Oh! Hello, Miss Dawn!" Kisara greeted the fiery girl. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, Kisara," Phoenix bowed her head respectfully. "Ken and Trot were just telling me how they were helping you pass out some flyers."

"Yes, they were big help!" Kisara smiled, causing both Ken and Trot to blush. "Oh! And so did their dog, Delilah too!"

"Well, I'll leave you three alone to enjoy your meal together then," Phoenix said as she took her leave. "さよなら(Good-bye)."

"Bye, Phoenix!" Ken waved, along with Trot and Kisara as the fiery girl took her leave.

Soon, both Ken and Trot resumed having their meal with Kisara, while Delilah was given a dog bowl of noodles of her own.

While having their meal, Ken decided to strike up conversation.

"So, uh...Kisara?" He began. "Just curious, when did you started working here? I hope it's not a touchy subject, but I haven't seen you in ages, so it’s kinda a surprise to see you out and about, y’know?"

"I understand, Ken," Kisara nodded sadly. "I...I’m afraid I suppose I haven’t realized how... I just thought it felt nice to get out once in awhile...meet some new people and...”

Ken reached his hand out, gently stroking the sad woman’s, “I’m sorry...” He took a heavy deep breath. “I miss Kara too...”

In response, Kisara gently stroked Ken’s hand in return.

Trot couldn’t help but sympathize with the young hero-in-training and woman.

“Excuse me, but Kisara, ma’m?” Trot began. “I was just wondering, what was Kara like? Ken’s told me that she was a special friend, but what was she like as a daughter to you? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Kisara slowly nodded her head as she slowly complied to answer, “Oh she was one tough firecracker, and a handful,” The woman chuckled in nostalgia. “She was as brave and stubborn as her father. But I still love her to pieces, like every mother would for their children.” The woman’s nostalgia turned to sorrow, “I still can’t believe that she would just up and...run away like that. What did I do wrong?”

“I’m sure you didn’t mean for any of it to happen,” Ken comforted the woman. “But then...what brings you here?”

After another deep breath to regain her composure, Kisara answered, “After about three years since my daughter disappeared, I found an ad about Kirin’s Care in need of volunteers. So, I took the offer and applied for a position here. I guess, I missed being a mom and I wanted to have that again.”

Ken and his friends all nodded their heads in agreement and understanding. Though, Trot herself seemed to be just as troubled.


Later that night

After he got himself cleaned up and ready for bed, Ken walked into his bedroom to see, as usual, the Power Princesses were all sleeping across the floors. All except for their leader, who was sitting and huddling to herself on the bed.

“Trot?” Ken asked, as he walked up to the girl. “Why aren’t you...” He quickly went silent when Trot turned to look at him, and he noticed the tear stains from her eyes. “Trot? W-What’s wrong?”

The boy walked over to the bed, while also being extra careful not to step on one of the sleeping girls. He then sat down, next to the troubled alien girl.

“I... I miss my home,” Trot wept. “Please, forgive me for my...grievances, Ken. It’s just... I can’t help but think about my queen, the planet my fellow defenders and I had left behind. Sometimes, I just can’t help but feel so...insignificant and...alone in the universe.”

“Trot...”

“What kind of a Princess am I, if I couldn’t help my Queen? What good as a defender am I if I can’t even protect my planet and my people from destruction?”

“Trot, please...”

“I would give almost anything to have that life back...”

Hearing that last part made Ken see a reflection of Kisara in Trot Summers. The amount of sorrow the two were experiencing seems immeasurable.

Trying to console the girl the best he could, Ken did the only thing he could think of.

“Trot...” Ken helped wipe her tears clean off her face. “You don’t have to feel lonely. I’m sure your queen wouldn’t want to see you like this. She gave her life to save yours and your friends. Don’t let her sacrifice be in vain. And I’m here for you, no matter what. We can get through this together, Trot. So please, for me, be the hero and the defender I know you are.”

Trot looked at Ken, feeling encouraged by his words and his faith. Even after expressing her sadness and letting her fragility show, it amazed her to see that Ken’s devotion to her remains unscathed.

Nevertheless, the boy was right. Both he and Trot’s fellow defenders needed a leader. And the Masked Matter-Horn is their leader.

Trot solemnly nodded in agreement as she looked at Ken with a sad smile.

“You’re right, Ken,” She nodded. “Queen Celestia would never want to see me like this... I have to be strong, for her and my defenders. Thank you for reminding me that, Ken.”

“It’s what I’m here for,” Ken said before he let out a yawn. “Phew! I think it’s time for us to get some sleep now.”

“Indeed,” Trot nodded. “It’s as you earthlings say...’time to hit the haystack,’ right?”

“It’s ‘time to hit the hay,’ but close enough,” Ken shrugged, pulling the blanket over himself. “See you in the morning, Trot.”

“Good night, Ken,” Trot replied, before she decided to spoon him. “Is it okay if I hold you like this, while I sleep?”

In the darkness, Ken blushed a bright shade of red and stammered, “Uh, sure. Go ahead, Trot. Whatever you need to sleep.”


After the weekends

Ken was walking back to school, where he happened to regroup with five of his alien super heroines in disguises.

“Yo, Ken!” Aurora greeted. “Good morning!”

“Hiya girls!” Ken returned the greeting, before noticing the group was short on one more. “Where’s Trot?”

“Here I am!” Trot greeted, running up to the boy and giving him a kiss on the cheek, much to the shock of every students who saw it.

“Hey Trot!” Ken greeted, blushing from the kiss he received.

“Hello Ken! I hope I’m not too late,” Trot giggled.

“Uh, not at all. In fact, we’re still early for classes.”

“Great! Then let’s go!” She said, eagerly linking her arm around Ken and dragged him away.

At first, the rest of the superheroes in disguises were at a loss for words, until Aurora broke the ice, “What just happened?”

Author's Note:

Happy holidays my bronies and pegasisters! Stay tuned for the next chapters me and alphasteel are coming up with in the making!

Up next: The Swordswoman and the Detective

After that: The Scientist and the Ranger

Until then, Happy Thanksgiving!

PreviousChapters Next