• Published 4th Jul 2018
  • 622 Views, 9 Comments

Impossible Numbers' Flashfic Anthology, Volume Two - Impossible Numbers



Entries submitted for Loganberry's 150-Word Flashfic Contests. Individual genre ratings, story summaries, and links are included within the long description.

  • ...
1
 9
 622

Before a Garden Becomes a Legend

“Remind me again what we are, uh, ‘making anew’?” Daisy dangled the flowers carefully, according to the design, and hoped like heck she didn't drop them again.

Somnambula bowed. “The Hanging Gardens of Stally-On. Ah, me: the loveliest in the kingdom, with mighty Fountains of Tranquillity…”

“Will a garden pond do?” said Roseluck from the bottom of the pit. The muffled tone suggested she still had a spade in her mouth.

“…the Rosetta-Baskets of Phoenixias… so fragrant…”

CRASH!

“Oops.” Daisy winced at the scattered flowers and broken pottery. “Uh… free replacement?”

“…the Sacred Crocodiles amid the Lilies of Judgement…”

OW!” Lily jumped.

“Apologies!” Somnambula helped remove the tight jaws. “My friend Pinkamena insisted that ‘Gum-Mee’ was harmless.”

“It bit me! It's trying to eat my leg! That little lizard's got it out for me!”

The trio exchanged glances.

“Um, with all due respect and all, your historical-ness, um, I, uh, don’t think this’ll work,” said Daisy. “See, we’re really just… small-town florists.”

“We’ll try,” said Roseluck, hauling herself out of the pit.

“Really, though, you need world experts.”

Somnambula laughed. “Oh, not at all. Humble beginnings are no barrier to greatness. Was I a world expert when the Sphinx invaded, and none stepped forth to stop the suffering!? I, a small-town peasant!? Yet I prevailed!”

“Wow…” Daisy blushed.

“I had faith; now I have faith in you.”

“Wow…”

Roseluck saluted. “Ma’am! We’ll do it!”

OW!” Lily whimpered. “Look, can we please skip the Sacred Crocodile bit?”