• Published 4th Jul 2018
  • 2,727 Views, 57 Comments

As the Moon Rises - MorbidTheBrony



Once a full moon rises, a terror shall lurk among the people of Canterlot.

  • ...
2
 57
 2,727

Chapter 9. Isolation

July 7th, Unknown Place, Saturday ???
??:??AM

Twilight's eyes slowly opened. She gasped as she looked out at the never ending black limbo. She looked out in every direction but found nothing, nothing but pitch black darkness. She tried moving but found she was bound to the one spot. No matter how much she pulled, her legs remained in place.

"Hello?" she called out with no reply. "Is anyone out there? I'm stuck! Please help!" Nothing. She was completely alone.

She suddenly felt herself being pulled down to her knees, giving an attempt to resist but failing. Twilight then heard footsteps coming from behind her, but she couldn't turn her head around. Her entire body was completely bound to the one direction. When they got close enough, she could feel someone wrapping their arms around her body. She managed to move her eyes downwards and catch a glimpse at this person's arms. They were orange, much like...

"You're messing with something you shouldn't, Twilight Sparkle!" this person hissed. Twilight knew this voice.

"S-Sunset? Is that you?" Twilight asked panicky. "What is this place?"

Sunset fell silent for a moment. "Leave all this werewolf stuff behind you. It will only put you and everyone into more danger."

"I-I can't! I've already figured you out! I can't give up now!" Twilight began to raise her voice. She was scared, even with her friend there.

"Let it go, Twilight!" Now Sunset began to shout, her voice was raising in anger. "Let it all go!"

Twilight's eyes began to well up. "No! I can't! I have to find a way to help you! Musket is after you and only I can stop him now!"

Sunset began chanting, "Let it go!" with her voice increasing with more anger everytime she said it. Then it sounded like there were more voices surrounding both of them, chanting it in unison to Sunset.

"Let it go! Let it go! LET IT GO!!"

Twilight could then feel something was changing with the hands that were restraining her. They felt like they were getting larger... and the fingertips were getting sharper... and the arm was getting hairier...

She managed to pull herself out of her bind and threw herself forward. Quickly turning around, she watched as Sunset groaned as her body was changing.

"Sunset..." Twilight managed to say as she was on the verge of a panic attack. She was now completely immobile, she could only watch as a large, golden furred wolf stood where Sunset use to. Through the continuous chants, Twilight could hear it growling. It slowly began walking towards her, it was then that Twilight was able to move again. Still on the ground, she moved backwards, away from the monster. "Sunset... please don't...!"

The wolf growled once again and lunged towards the girl. After that, the chanting stopped.


Sunset's House, Saturday Afternoon
12:28PM

Sunset was laying on her couch, still in her pyjamas, deep within thought. 'This werewolf shit is now beginning to affect my whole life. I can't have it be this way.' She sat up and looked towards a picture of her and all of her friends at the beach. There was no one she could call family more than her best friends. They've all been through thick thin, and even hell and back.

She sighed. "Thanks to that bastard, I'm not even safe to be around anyone anymore! Not my friends! Not anyone at CHS! Not even..." She gasped and looked towards the glass cage sitting at the back of her home. "...Ray." She kept staring at the little lizard sleeping soundly on his twig. The pet that helped Sunset’s loneliness, now no longer safe with her.

A thought finally came to her mind. It wasn't a good idea, but to ensure everyone's safety, especially Ray's, it should be worth it. She grabbed her phone and decided to make a phone call.


Saturday Afternoon
01:43PM

"Are you absolutely sure you want to do this, Sunset?" Fluttershy asked, taking the glass cage from Sunset. "You know he's going to miss you so much."

Sunset sniffed. "I-I know, but there's something I have to deal with and... I can't have him be here while I'm trying to figure this out," Sunset explained, holding back a sob. She looked into the cage her meek friend held and saw her pet looking at her sadly. She hated to see Ray this way; he was always such a chill and happy lizard that seeing him this way now felt so alien, it absolutely killed Sunset.

Sunset took the lizard out of the cage and they shared one last cheek nuzzle. "It's alright, Ray. Mommy just has something to take care of. I promise, I'll have you back as soon as possible, okay?" He responded with a slow nod. A tear rolled down Sunset's face as she placed Ray back into the cage. "You'll take good care of him, right, Fluttershy?"

"Oh, of course, Sunset! I'll take perfect care of him," Fluttershy responded. "I promise, you don't have to worry about a thing."

"Thanks Fluttershy." Sunset hugged, or at least tried to, her friend who was still carrying the cage. She knelt down and looked at Ray, giving him a final wave. "Goodbye Ray, Mommy loves you." Her tears were becoming more powerful at the second.

"Oh Sunset..." Fluttershy got out, barely able to contain her own emotions.

"I-It's fine. I just need some time alone right now." Sunset stepped back into her house, hand on the door ready to close it. "Thanks again for doing this, Shy."

"I-It's no problem, Sunset. I'd always be happy to take care of another's pet while their doing... What is it you're doing, anyway?" From everything Sunset had explained to her, she had not told Fluttershy why she wanted to leave her beloved pet with her.

And she didn't plan to. "You should probably go now. I'm sorry..." She finally closed the door on the two. She turned the lock and sat down against the door, very quietly sobbing to herself. "...but I don't have a choice," she whispered.

So this was it, the solution was to completely isolate herself. She was far too dangerous to be around anyone now. She was too dangerous for the human world.

Then, the familiar sensation she felt with her head returned. And like that, she was unconscious.


Unknown Place, Saturday ???
??:??PM

Sunset groaned as she picked herself up from the... pitch black ground.

"Oh God dammit," she muttered, standing up straight. "Alright, what am I doing here for now?"

"Why do you think you are here once again, Sunset Shimmer?" the deep voice asked.

Sunset crossed her arms impatiently. "You ask that as if I'm gonna know the answer. Why don't you just tell me instead of just leaving me here?"

"My my, aren't we quite moody this visit," the voice coldly added.

Sunset frowned and sat down, letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry, I'm just not feeling too good right now. I take it you know what I did?"

"I do, and I must add that you are still failing to succeed."

"Oh come on! I've already tried everything I possibly could, but Twilight just wouldn't listen to me. Though, I'm pretty sure I accidentally got Rainbow Dash out of danger. But what else can I do to stop Twilight?"

The voice didn't reply, but instead it showed Sunset three figures: Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Woodland Musket.

"Though, it would seem that your friends have succeeded in giving Rainbow Dash the confidence to continue helping with the hunt for you."

Sunset expected that but yet she still hung her head and groaned. "Figures. And here I was thinking that I had managed to scare off one with only two to go."

"Actually, there is a possibility that you still have the chance to think that way."

Sunset's head flew back upwards. She raised her eyebrow in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"Last night when Twilight Sparkle returned to her own home, she was analysing the clues you had recklessly set out for her, and because of that she had managed to figure out your little secret." The voice began turning bitter. "And since you could not do anything to stop her, I had to take matters into my own hands."

Sunset eyes widened in shock. "What did you do to her?!" she demanded.

"The only thing that I could. If you would like to, I am able to show you."

"Show me."

Then there was a heavy and cold wind that blew from in front of her, forcing her to shield her eyes. Once the wind subsided, she opened her eyes only to be met with the greatest thing she had feared ever since this began.

From a distance away, she watched as Twilight was on the ground keeping her distance from a large monster that was slowly approaching her, growling.

"W-What's going on? What is that?!" Sunset shouted upwards.

"Is it not obvious, Sunset Shimmer?" the voice asked. "It is you. I have shown her just what would happen if she were to continue with working with Woodland Musket."

"No! No, no, no! Twilight! Over here!" Sunset tried running over to her but she bumped into an invisible wall. She began pounding on the wall, still calling out her name. "Twilight! I'm over here! Get out of there, now!"

"It's no use. She cannot hear or see you, for this is not a present showing, but a recent occurrence when I had pulled her into her mind space."

"You cannot show her this!" Sunset screamed. "Do you not realise how much she's going to end up fearing me now?!"

"To the point where she fears hunting and gives up in the process? I think I understand completely."

"No! Twilight!" She turned back to Twilight, only to see that the werewolf version of her was ready to pounce.

"Sunset... please don't...!" Sunset had heard Twilight say.

She watched in terror as it jumped onto Twilight's body and began biting all around her. The dams had crumbled as Sunset screamed in fear. The closed her eyes and ears, hoping to block out the screams of agony Twilight was letting out.

"Stop this! Stop this right now!" Sunset cried.

Another huge wind blew over her, and then the screams of pain faded away. Sunset looked to where Twilight was and found that she was gone along with her werewolf self.

"What good do you think isolating yourself will do? You are still a werewolf and you will escape when the nighttime comes. So why bother?"

Sunset didn't answer. She didn't want to stay anymore, not after everything it had shown her. "You're a sick, twisted bastard!" she muttered. "Could you just let me go back home?" Sunset asked, eyes leaking with tears. "I just really need to be by myself for a while."

The voice hummed. "As you wish."

And like that, the area began crumbling once more, causing Sunset to plummet into a white abyss.


Twilight's House, Saturday Morning
10:16AM

"Twilight! Twilight!"

Twilight's eyes shot open. She saw her mother standing over her, shaking her awake.

"Mom?" Twilight asked. As soon as her eyes finally focused, she immediately began sobbing, bringing her mother into a hug.

"It's okay, I'm here for you, Twily," Velvet said, stroking her daughter's hair. "Gosh, you were shouting in your sleep. You must have had such a terrible nightmare."

"I-It just felt so real," Twilight said through her crying.

Velvet moved Twilight so they could both face eachother. "What happened in it?"

Twilight never told her parents about the werewolf or the hunt. She had always told them that she was going over to one of her friends' places, so she couldn't tell the truth. "I... I don't really want to talk about it."

Velvet gave her a reassuring smile. "Are you sure, Sweetie? You'll feel much better if you do."

"I-I know and I will, but I... I just want to be alone right now, please?" Twilight concluded. She got out of her mother's embrace and laid back down.

Velvet's smile faded. "Well... okay then, but I do hope you tell us soon. Your father and I really hate to see you upset, Twily." She kissed her daughter's forehead and left Twilight alone in her room.

Twilight contemplated over the dream she had that previous night while she laid. She wondered as if it was really a dream at all or actually a warning. Now knowing that her greatest friend was the other werewolf... it terrified her. Sunset had told her to stop, but now Twilight can't. Now her mission was to prevent Woodland Musket from killing her, while also not dying in the process.

How was she going to bring this up with Sunset? Should she at all? Should she tell anyone? Would that just put everyone into more danger? The questions doubled and tripled and Twilight's head felt like it was on the verge of exploding!

Twilight then heard a knock on her bedroom door. It opened and then came in Velvet again, now holding a plate and a furry friend.

"Hey, Twily. Your dad made you some breakfast, and Spike also wanted in." Twilight didn't answer her. "Make sure Spike gets none of this! We don't need our little guy becoming tubby!" Velvet tried joking, which got an annoyed "Hey!" from Spike, but still nothing from Twilight. She sighed and placed the plate on top of the drawers next to the bed. She then placed Spike at the foot of the bed and finally left the room again, but not before having another look at her daughter, frowning sadly.

Spike looked from the door over to Twilight. "Uhh... Twilight?" he asked.

Twilight still remained silent for a moment. "Hey Spike," she finally said hoarsely.

The dog moved to the top of the bed behind Twilight and rested his front paws on her body. "Are you feeling okay?"

Twilight shrugged very slightly. "Not really, I guess. No."

"What happened? You came home late last night, then you scribbled something down in your notebook, then the next minute you're in bed sound asleep."

The girl didn't want to explain exactly what happened to her, but he deserved some kind of an answer. "Am I doing the right thing, Spike?"

"What?"

"All of this. This whole hunting thing. Is this right? Should I even continue? I mean, because of this, all I've managed to do was put one of my closest friends in danger and... I'm afraid I might end up putting everyone else in danger too." Twilight sat up on her bed and faced her dog. "This werewolf, it's like nothing the girls and I have ever faced before. We don't even know if it's just Equestrian magic running rampant in the streets. Not only that, but there's two of them."

"Well... I don't know much about werewolves, or just regular wolves for that matter. But you and the girls have been through an awful lot, and they all included danger. If you have a shot of beating this thing, then you're probably gonna need a rainbow laser."

But that was the thing, if they were to face it, there would only be six of them able to do it.

"I don't think the magic of friendship is going to be very useful this time around, Spike," she said instead.

"Why not? It's never failed you all before."

"Yeah... but I'm sure I just found out who the newer werewolf actually is, and because of who it is sort prevents us from using the magic of friendship."

"Oh..." Spike looked downwards at the bed's covers. "Well, who's the werewolf then?"

Twilight, again, would rather not say. She did not to be back in that dream again. "I-I'd rather not tell," she said nervously. "I wanna try to keep it between me and... the person." She then took the plate from on top of the drawers. Bacon, eggs, and toast.

"Can I get a piece?" Spike asked, his tail began wagging.

Twilight sighed calmly. "One small piece of bacon, but that's it." She ripped off a small piece of bacon and threw it up for the dog to catch, which he managed to do. Twilight applauded him.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Spike asked, chewing on the bacon.

Twilight tapped her chin. "I guess I'm going to Sunset's place for a while. She and I have a little something we kinda need to discuss," she explained.

"And that is...?"

"I can't really say. It's a... personal thing."

Spike raised a brow at her, which caused her to suspiciously gulp. The longer the dog stared at her, the more a drop of sweat ran down her face. His cold stare made Twilight feel as though she couldn't breathe. It was too intense for her.

"Alright then. Just don't stay out so late, please? Your parents don't exactly do much entertaining, so I'm left feeling really bored."

Twilight laughed and clapped the dog's head. "I promise."


Streets of Canterlot, Saturday Afternoon
03:01PM

Twilight was walking down the street, on her way to Sunset's house. During her journey she thought long and hard of how she would bring up that she knew, or if she should at all. It came to a point where she had to stop for a while, just to make sure she had time to think of the right thing to say, or at least what's close to being remotely acceptable.

"Hey, Sunset! Listen, we have to talk for a while about yesterday. Yes, I know you tried to pass it off as you didn't know what was going on, but I just wanted to say that I know what's really going on," Twilight said to herself. "Ugh! No! It's too sudden and in-your-face!" She leaned up against the wall and rubbed her temples. "It's alright, Twilight. You got this. She's your friend, and you... have no idea what you're talking about!"

She continued her way through the streets. Eventually, she walked down a street were one building was significantly smaller than all the others. Sunset's house. Twilight's heart began pounding. She was almost there yet she still didn't know what to say to her. What was she to do? Should she just say what's on her mind? Should she just turn around and go home?!

But it was too late. Before she knew it, she was already at her door. She hadn't even told Sunset she was coming, so this didn't sit right with her. But there she was, standing completely still at her best friend's door.

'I should just get outta here! Why can't I leave?! Body! Move!' she shouted in her head. Her hand began slowly rising towards the door. 'Wait! Not that way!
Abort! Abort!'

She knocked on the door, and Twilight now felt like she wanted to die. Now Sunset was going to answer the door and Twilight wasn't even prepared. She wanted to run away so desperately, but her body wasn't doing what she wanted anymore.

She stood there waiting for Sunset to answer, but she still hadn't come. Twilight couldn't even hear anything coming from inside. She tried knocking again, perhaps Sunset didn't hear her. She waited and waited but still nothing.

"Sunset! Are you home?" Twilight called out. Although, again, no reply. Twilight peeked through the letter box and found that it looked completely dead on the inside. No light, no sound, just silence. "Come on, Sunset! There's something we have to talk about."

'Where could she have gone?' Twilight thought. She came to the conclusion that Sunset probably went out somewhere for the time being and without saying and decided she'd have to come back later to talk.


Sunset's House, Saturday Afternoon
03:06PM

Sunset stayed perfectly still and quiet. She was lying in her bed, under her covers, keeping as quiet as possible. Someone was at her door, but she didn't know who-

"Sunset! Are you home?" came a voice.

It was Twilight. What was she doing here? She would have at least told her she was coming.

"Come on, Sunset! There's something we have to talk about."

Something they have to talk? Talk about what? Was it about yesterday? Sunset had a good idea that it was about everything that happened the previous day. She stayed completely quiet, at least until she knew Twilight had gone away. Sunset peeked out from under her covers until she heard faint footsteps walking away from her house.

Sunset hated to do this to her friends, but it's not like that they can really help her if they knew. Not even Sunset understood why this was happening, and she especially didn't know if there is a way of stopping this. But maybe the answers lay elsewhere... She caught glance of her journal, a bulky brown book with half of her and half of the princess's cutie marks on the cover. Maybe she could ask the princess if there is a way. She took the journal from her nightstand and grabbed a pen. She opened it to the latest empty page, hovered the pen over the book and took a deep breath.

Dear Princess Twilight,