• Published 3rd Jul 2018
  • 44,084 Views, 5,441 Comments

The Humble Prince - Lighting Ace



A man wakes up to find he's inhabiting the body of a cartoon horse who wasn't exactly Mister Popular, judging from how shocked the locals are when he says things like 'please' and 'thank you'.

  • ...
190
 5,441
 44,084

Chapters Next
Hellish Monday (Edited by CC, YB And GT4)

As the first rays of the sunday morning appeared on the horizon, two maids engaged in a hushed argument during their journey down the hallways of the prestigious Canterlot Castle. One maid had a coat shining a lovely shade of yellow, while her companion possessed one that was a deep purple. Both of the mares usually went about their work with a strong sense of pride and duty. Usually.

Today, however, their normal work ethic was thrown out the window. The subject of their heated debate was on who would be the sacrifice of the day — something that was quite odd, considering that the palace in which they worked was considered the center of ponykind, a beacon of freedom and justice. Concepts like ritual sacrifice became obsolete many long centuries ago, now considered barbaric and immoral. And yet, here they were.

The great white walls and golden adornments of the castle and perhaps the city as a whole was covering up a shameful secret, a dark blemish that everypony did their best to hide. Celestia and Luna, now that she had returned, both wished they could remove the stain from their lives, but there was no simple solution to be had. They and the staff knew this dark secret well, all too well.

And therefore the unicorns argued. The loser would be condemned to this most reviled of tasks, bound in servitude to the dark one. The one all who lived in the castle feared and hated in equal measure.

Only the princesses’ divine protection kept him from imprisonment, repeated assaults, and possible exile. Why would they protect one such as this? Because he was descended directly from the diarchs. This fact alone prevented retribution for his actions, and it had done so for a loooong time.

"Okay, okay, what about this? You take over today, and in exchange I will…foalsit your filly, free of charge for one whole month?" Clean Breeze attempted to negotiate a deal with her co-worker, running a hoof through her messy white mane. Her attempt to smooth it out did little to tame the short hairs, still sticking up at odd angles. She hoped her offer had more success than it did.

“One whole month?” The purple-coated maid repeated incredulously. “You mean starting tonight, knowing full well that Pearl has just started growing her horn? Which means that you’re willing to put up with caring for her twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week? Even with the nonstop crying and uncontrollable magic?” A trace of a sardonic grin spread across her lips.

“Y-Yes?” Despite not being even close to a fair deal, she would still take it. Breeze was feeling that desperate. “What do you say, Mist?”

“Not. A. Chance. Clean Breeze.” Mist stated with heart crushing finality in each and every syllable. “I’d rather face that than deal with our ‘beloved’ prince even one more time,” she hissed with venom in her voice.

"Ple-heh-heeeese Mist!" begged Clean Breeze, crocodile tears forming in her eyes. "I already chewed the arrow last week!" She made her eyes as big as she possibly could. Then she quivered her lip. To complete the look she drew both her ears back as far as they were able. All together she appeared to be the pinnacle of pitiable desperation.

Years of catering to the prince had hardened Mist, her heart and her resolve were unmoved by her fellow maid’s puppy dog eyes. "And you only took one of those days, Breezie." Mist glared at her. "I took the whole week with him before that. At this rate, if I have to spend one more day with Blueblood I am going to strangle him, consequences be damned! Not even if that means a one way ticket to the sun!”

"But I can’t stand him!" Clean whined, on the verge of tears, real ones this time.

"I know,” Mist consoled, taking Breeze’s hoof and giving it a gentle pat before looking her square in the eyes, “But we all have to pony up and endure it. And let’s be real, you have been weaseling out your duties for far too long." She jabbed an accusing hoof into Clear Breeze’s chest. "Don’t think I don’t know about your little deals, Breezie.”

Clean Breeze shifted uncomfortably, “I-I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“I know you offered all kinds of deals with other staff.” She shot a stern look at her friend. “By Celestia’s sun, I really hope you didn't offer that poor colt that just started as a butler yesterday a date in exchange for switching jobs."

Breeze’s blush did nothing to hide her guilt, nor did her weak smile as she searched for an excuse. "Well, you know, I… I was just thinking…since he seemed to like me, and was kind of cute…"

"Just do your job, Breezie," Mist said with a sigh. "And believe me, we have it easy. Blueblood just expects us to bring him stuff, then nod and smile.” She added a saccharine smile, and the sickly sweet stretch and hollow eyes showed just how practiced it was for her. “It’s the princesses who have it rough," she said, gesturing toward the princesses’ quarters with a nod of her head — both of which were located as far away from Blueblood’s wing as possible, coincidentally enough.

Clear furrowed her brow. "Really?"

"You’ll see soon enough.” Mist nodded solemnly before continuing, “For now, just take a deep breath, close your eyes and keep reminding yourself, 'They will give me a raise for this'."

The pair came to a halt outside their destination. Here, the simple yet elegant marble walls and their golden accents were interrupted by a pair of large wooden doors, decorated with matching reliefs of the inhabitant. "Here we are," Mist announced to her doomed co-worker.

Clear shook as cold dread crawled up her spine. Despair overcame her as she beheld the doors, fairly unassuming, though the images of the prince were a bit gaudy. To most visitors or patrolling guards, they were merely a manifestation of Blueblood’s mountain-sized ego. But for the castle’s staff members, the ones that actually had to enter, they were akin to the gates of Tartarus.

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here," Mist and Clean Breeze recited the staff’s long-standing joke regarding this duty simultaneously, though it was more akin to their personal mantra.

"By Celestia, I really hoped that you were joking when you first told me that this was the entrance to Tartarus." Clean’s tone was entirely resigned now. She tore her eyes from the door to look at her friend, "Are you sure there’s nothing I can do…" Clean Breeze looked around in alarm, Mist’s conspicuous absence left her with no way to plead or bargain further. She probably ran the second Clean looked away from her.

"What!? Mist, you can’t…! Actually I can't really blame you. I would’ve probably done the same." Clean sighed in defeat before looking at the door frame once more, taking a moment to mentally prepare herself.

“I will get a raise, I will get a raise, I will get a raise…”

Clean repeated that mantra to herself over and over as she gathered as much courage as she could. She needed all she could muster before opening the door to meet the devil himself.

Let’s get this over with…

Clean opened the door to the prince’s chambers and entered slowly. As she marched steadily across the room, she actually felt herself abandoning her hope. Opening the curtains gave her just enough time to don her practiced smile, before she bathed the room in the warm gold light of Celestia’s sun. The prince yelped as the rays of light struck him square in the eyes.

"Good morning, Prince Blueblood," Clean announced professionally, only to receive a pillow to the face for her efforts. As soon as the pillow fell away, she saw the livid stallion glaring at her. Under any other circumstance, Clean would have swooned a bit at a stallion like him. His fur shined white as snow, covering a frame that stood taller than most common stallions. Framing his horn was a mane colored in a beautiful shade of gold. Tying his image all together was his build, just the right amount of muscle to make him look both powerful and in perfect health. Objectively speaking, Blueblood was an incredibly attractive stallion, had his personality not been the way it was. If it had been even just a little less insufferable even.

"How dare you interrupt my beauty sleep, you buffoon!" he shouted. “Is common etiquette not taught to you airheaded maids anymore?”

"My apologies, Prince Blueblood, but as you requested―"

"Oh, forget it." Blueblood rolled his eyes in an obnoxiously exaggerated manner. He then rolled himself out of his opulent bed and headed toward the restroom. "There is no way for a commoner like you to comprehend the problems a pony of the royal family must face on a daily basis."

Clean grit her teeth. "Of course, sir," she said as she started making his bed. What had she done to deserve this job?

"Oh, Dulcy, if only you knew how much I envy your simplistic style of life." Blueblood paused before he burst out laughing. "Oh, by my dear aunty, I crack myself up." He kept laughing until reaching the bathroom door, closing it behind him.

"Yeah, you’re hilarious, prince."

Kill me. Kill me now.


Later that day, Blueblood enjoyed the beauty of the sun in the palatial garden. While tanning in the warm light, he deigned to eat another offered grape. After he judged it satisfactory, he spat the seed into Clean’s face. The maid carefully kept her seed covered face perfectly neutral and emotionless. No pony saw her eye twitch and hooves shake as she held up his drink and the bunch of grapes.

Monday night saw Blueblood host a private party in the royal ballroom. Only the most snobbish of nobles in the grand city were allowed to attend of course. They all merely put up an act to be friendly with the prince, as they simply wished to bump elbows with royalty. Some used the chance to show off their vast riches, while others took the time to socially maneuver around the others. Blueblood didn’t notice any of this of course, too full of confidence to consider that the other nobles could possibly not enjoy his company.

"Ah! My friends, I'm so happy to see you could make it tonight. Please, come, come, leave your coats with the help," Blueblood greeted haughtily, pointing at Clean Breeze with a smirk.

"The what?!" Clean’s eyes widened in shock a mere second before she found herself buried beneath a mountain of tacky coats and sweaters.

"And hurry with the snacks! Chop chop!" Blueblood ordered as he led the guest inside.

On Tuesday, the prince, trying on a new suit in front of a large mirror, turned to a tailor who was sweating bullets. "I say, this new suit must have cost a small fortune and a lot of time to make. Am I right, my good sir?"

"Y-You are correct, Your Highness. Nothing but the finest of materials for royalty."

"Good, I’ll take ten! Including this one of course! Dulcy, pay the kind stallion," Blueblood proclaimed as he left the store. Clean’s legs wobbled as Blueblood threw the latest addition onto the veritable mountain of goods on her back. Gaudy clothing, ostentatious jewelry, and tacky baubles weighed her down from the day of shopping with her boss. After being used like a mule all day, she couldn’t stop herself from giving a soft growl.

"Yes…sir," she huffed, hooves trembling.

And then came Wednesday…

"SOLD! To the prince that didn't let anypony else compete at the auction," the auctioneer announced with annoyance. Every participant gave Blueblood the stink eye as he waved at them in victory. He suddenly stopped and cleared his throat as he stared expectantly at Clean.

"…Ah, bravo!" she fake cheered, clapping for him as he resumed his showboating.

Thursday: "No, please don't! Don't make me go!" Clean cried her eyes out as two guards dragged her toward the prince’s quarters, her hooves leaving marks on the ground as she struggled helplessly.

Friday: "Ahhh, there is nothing like some exercise. Don't you agree, Dulcy?" Blueblood asked while riding a two-pony bike, only that it’s modified so he was leaning comfortably while Clean did all the work.

"Right…Your Highness," she grunted, trying her hardest to reach the end of the park.

"Oh, what the hell, I think I’ve earned it. Let’s do one more lap!"

Clean could only whimper in response.

Saturday: "Give money to the orphans? Oh, surely you jest! I mean, I love those small, dirty, smelly blood-suckers as much as the next stallion, but let’s face it, sister: if nopony wants them, what are they worth?" Blueblood declared, causing a group of nuns to gasp in shock. At this point, Clean was banging her head against a wall in frustration and agony.

Finally, Sunday came. Once her shift was over, Clean rushed to her room and jumped onto her bed, holding her pillow to her face as she let out the biggest scream possible into it.

This is us getting it easy?! Oh, by the stars, what kind of horrible, despicable hell do the princesses have to face every single day?

Clean despaired while looking through a window to see the moon rising on the horizon.


"I don't know how much more of this I can take, Celestia. We need to do something about that nephew of yours," said Luna. Celestia was in the process of putting her tiara and peytral on an equine mannequin.

"Oh come on, Luna, don't you think you are overreacting just a little bit? Besides—" once she was done undressing, she turned to look at her younger sister. "—Blueblood is your nephew as well."

"And that is the only reason I have yet to exile him from Equestria! No scratch that, sending him anywhere else might as well be a declaration of war to any nations he ends up falling into," Luna huffed. "And I'm not overreacting."

Celestia chuckled and approached her. "Oh, sister, yes you are."

"Tia! He wanted to change my annual constellation construction so that, next to my moon, his smug face will appear for everypony in the world to see each time the night arrives…and he almost succeeded!" Fuming, Luna continued pacing the room. "And this is not the only time he has attempted to pull a stunt like this: he claims to love us but all he does is mooch, guilt trip, or scheme so he can always, ALWAYS get his way."

"Well Lulu, like the saying goes, a few harmless schemes keeps the mind sharp," Celestia argued.

"Tia, look at me." Luna grabbed Celestia’s cheeks so her sister was forced to look her in the eyes. "It’s me, your sister. Nopony is listening. You can talk to me. Why do you so adamantly defend that rotten brat of a nephew?"

Celestia’s mask wavered until it finally broke, and she pulled away from her sister. She sighed. "Fine. You win, Luna. You are right. He is a petulant little monster and he really needs to be taught a lesson. I'm not blind."

"Then why do you keep allowing it, sister?"

"Because it’s my fault he ended up like this!" Celestia blurted out while closing her eyes.

Luna could only blink a couple of times to that revelation. "Uh…what?"

"Luna, please don't be mad at me, but…what happened to Blueblood was something I never planned. It’s my fault…"

"Tia, why don't we start from the beginning, then? What exactly happened? How could you possibly be to blame for Blueblood’s callous behavior?" Luna asked gently as she approached the Diarch of the Sun.

Celestia sighed and looked up at the night stars through her balcony. "I suppose it all started twenty-three years ago. The day of your return was fast approaching, and the idea of having you back made me giddy with excitement," Celestia explained, a smile briefly dancing across her lips before it disappeared completely. "But then…"

"Then what? What happened?" Luna asked.

"Then tragedy struck." Looking at the moon, a single tear fell from the princess’s face. "Formal Attire and Royal Treatment — Blueblood’s parents — were possibly my last relatives still alive. Over the years I saw our family tree slowly dwindle and wither as time passed, so knowing I still had them was an anchor that kept me going. Unfortunately for others, that family was portrayed as a dark omen which foreshadowed something terrible…"

Luna’s eyes widened. "Nightmare Moon."

With a nod Celestia continued, "To this day, the case of my cousins remains a mystery. The only thing that the investigation found was that somepony thought that my relatives were aiming to 'resurrect' the Nightmare and help her bring eternal night." Celestia’s hoof heated up enough that the pristine floor underneath her began to melt and crack. "They weren't even merciful. And poor Blueblood…he was only three at the time." Celestia couldn’t contain her tears anymore.

"By my moon…" Luna whispered, aghast, not believing what she was hearing.

"I don't even know if Blueblood even remembers their faces. The only thing I knew was that he was completely alone and I was all the family he had left. I…I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could make things right and protect him for my cousins. So that is what I did: for years I did nothing but attend to his needs and wishes, never denying him any request. And at first it worked fine." Celestia wiped her eyes.

"He was such a nice little colt…there was even this little game where he would sit on my lap and close his eyes." She chuckled at the memory. "I even hosted a day court like that, and not a single pony ever noticed him. His fur was an exact match to mine."

"Then what happened? How could somepony so sweet and innocent turn into such a loathsome brat today?"

"I… I just couldn't say ‘no’ to him. Each year you were so close to returning, and I was so happy that you two would finally meet that I really didn't have it in me to refuse his requests. I thought it was just a phase, but then the requests started becoming more and more demanding, not to mention ridiculous. And whenever I tried to say 'no', I just kept seeing Attire and Treatment, looking at me in disappointment, judging me and telling me that they were gone because of me. I was…I was powerless."

"Sister, please, their deaths weren't your fault."

"Perhaps, but by the time I saw what I was doing, what I was twisting him into, it was too late. My kind nephew was gone, and thanks to my own insecurities I'm now cursed with this sociopath that is beyond my help."

"Tia…" Luna whispered as she nuzzled her sister."You have suffered for far too long because of me."

"Don't say that, Luna. None of this was your fault either."

"No Tia, it was the result of both our shortcomings: because of my jealousy and your insecurity, the only other living relative we have has turned into an icon that reminds us of our failures.”

"Some nights I see your sky and think ‘What I would give for a second chance’,” Celestia whispered back. “A chance to be a family. Not a 'royal family', but a normal family, with flaws and arguments, but ultimately a family that actually loves each other."

"I'm sure Blueblood actually loves us, sister, in his own twisted and bizarre way, but he loves us nonetheless. I’m sure of it," Luna soothed. "But yes, I do share that wish of yours, sister. I wish I could have seen that nephew you speak so highly of."

"Oh, I'm sure you would have loved him, Lulu,” Celestia said with a sad smile. “He was mischievous at times, but Blueblood used to have the biggest of hearts." She looked into the stars and something caught her eye. A streak of light across the sky. "Luna, look! A shooting star!"

"Quick, Tia, make a wish!"

Celestia let out a titter. "Aren't we a bit too old to wish upon a star, sister?"

"You are never too old to have dreams, Tia," Luna countered with a wink.

Celestia nodded. "Fair enough."

Without another word, both sisters closed their eyes and they made their wish together.


The next day, just like every other day, Clean Breeze and Mist approached the room of Blueblood. The doors loomed before them further down the hall, never losing their imposing presence no matter how much the maids wished they would.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, Mist! I don’t think I could take another second with that royal pain without ripping my mane out!"

"Geez, don't get ahead of yourself, Breezie. I'm only helping you today because I’ve been in your horseshoes before. After the first week alone with that headache you end up in a murderous rage."

Clean’s head whipped over to face Mist in shock. "Did that happen to you?"

Mist nodded. "Once, I tried to drown him while he was bathing. He had asked for a 'female touch' to apply the shampoo right."

"…Please tell me you are joking."

"Oh, Breezie, I wish I was. Almost had him too if not for that guard," Mist muttered as they reached the door.

Both mares sighed in defeat. "Abandon all hope, ye who…" They started their mantra, before they were interrupted by a scream coming from the room.

"What the hay?!" Mist shouted. The sounds of a struggle and objects being tossed around could be heard on the other side.

"Is he under attack?!" Clean cried, panicking.

"Don't jump to conclusions, maybe he’s having a nightmare," Mist replied, fighting her own anxiousness. "But just in case, let’s stay on the door frame, so if he is being attacked we can go and alert the guards."

Clean nodded and they both opened the door, scanning the room until they found Prince Blueblood wrapped in his own bed sheets on the floor, squirming around like a fish and screaming. "Oh God! Oh God, my hands, what happened to my hands?!"

"Uh, my prince?" Mist prodded, the first to recover from the oddity of the situation. "Are you okay?"

The prince froze and stared at them in surprise and then began to wriggle away in panic. "What are…where am…who are you?" He asked in complete terror.

Both maids could only blink a couple of times in confusion before looking at one another.

Monday

Author's Note:

The song used is call Habanera from 'Carmen Suite No.2' Its an opera so, I'm not sure if it falls in the copyright policy, so I will put it down if it is. Let me know if it is or not so I can pull it out and apologies for the infraction

Chapters Next