• Published 29th Jun 2018
  • 383 Views, 1 Comments

Orchard of Broken Memories - G4PONYTales



It has been 1 year since Applejack, Applebloom and Big Macintosh discovered the past about their parents. Upon arriving to the first anniversary of this discovery, Applebloom seem to be having some thoughts that bring her mind to a question that is

  • ...
 1
 383

Deep Explanation

Throughout class, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo kept watchful glances on their friend. They watched Applebloom’s expression during class and note-taking, searching consistently for any signs of improvement.

From their viewpoints, there were some small signs of participation in class discussion and initiative towards answering questions. Even these few bouts appeared forced, like Applebloom was mustering all her strength to appear confident for just a few minutes. Then, when these bouts passed, the troubled filly’s head would drop, her bangs drooping. Occasionally she would cower into her seat, like wishing she could disappear. It was these signs which appeared odd to most ponies, but concerning to her close friends, which helped confirm their observations that there was definitely something wrong.

______________________________________________________________________________

When the end of the school day finally approached, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were prepared for their first official plan, and that involved going to Twilight’s School of Friendship. Ever since their bout of begging to be apart of the school, the CMCs were awarded graduate certificates granting them the right to tutor Twilight’s students a few times a week, along with participation in field trips. Though a far cry from being actual students, this still provided the opportunity to take part in fun friendship-learning activities while fulfilling their destiny to help others with their experience and potential.

This was a great time for the first initial plan to help Applebloom, which was asking Twilight for advice.

______________________________________________________________________________

Applebloom dragged herself out of the school behind all the students before reluctantly climbing aboard Scootaloo’s scooter. The redness in her eyes had cleared and her bangs didn’t droop so much, but she still appeared visibly unhappy to her friends as there was a constant sadness in her glassy eyes, even when she she forced a big smile in response to them asking her if anything was wrong. It was as though the wall within her, the one which held emotions in check and feigned happiness whenever she was around her friends, was finally starting to crumble into nothingness.

On the way to Twilight’s school Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo held their fair share of guilt for not being able to help sooner, and frustration at Applebloom for hiding her problems.

______________________________________________________________________________

In spite of their concern for Applebloom, the sight of Twilight’s large, beautifully constructed institution for learning invoked warmth within the two CMCs. Though they didn’t notice it, the harmonious sound of the waterfall and playful squeals of kids even made Applebloom smile a little.

Scootaloo parked right by the steps and when the three CMCs came to the doors Twilight opened them, smiling warmly. “Hello, fillies. I hope you are ready, because I have a lot for you to do,” her voice faltered as she noticed Applebloom’s gloomy expression, and the worried looks on her friends’ faces.

“Um, Twilight”, said Sweetie Belle, “I hope this isn’t too bad a time, but we were wondering if you could help Applebloom.”

______________________________________________________________________________

The two CMCs told Applebloom to stay put, and so she did; she sat in a corner while watching her friends talk to Twilight from a distance.

There was much talking on Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle’s parts, and many sincere or concerned looks from Twilight. There were glances towards Applebloom, who responded by sheepishly looking downward. Finally, the conversation broke, and the three headed over.

“Alright, Applebloom; your friends requested that I meet with you in my office.” Twilight spoke sternly, her two friends looking at her with concern.

Applebloom didn’t bother arguing, except for one thing: “What about my tutoring?”

Twilight smiled warmly. “Starlight will fill in for you; she has way too much time on her hands and would love to help out. Now, come with me please.”

______________________________________________________________________________

Twilight’s office was huge hybrid of a workspace and a library; around her desk file boxes as tall as six feet, and at the far back was a large bookshelf with comfy couches and bean bag chairs. Twilight brought a beanbag chair close to her desk for Applebloom to sink comfortably into, and she herself sat behind her desk. Her face was full of grave concern. “Applebloom, your friends asked that I speak to you due to a very important matter, and that is of your well-being.”

Applebloom was quiet in response. All day she would either look up and pretend to be okay, or look downwards to hide her feelings. Presently, she had resumed the latter.

Twilight continued. “I can see something is troubling you. And your friends are very concerned about your mood and actions over the past couple of days. Your sister is very concerned about your mood around the farm over the past few weeks. You’ve been hiding something, Applebloom, and you need to say what it is. We want to help you, and nopony can if you don’t say what it is.” Twilight’s words were genuine and natural, having picked up so many skills for resolving conflict and amending friendships during her years of studying the magic of the subject.

Applebloom, for the first time that day, raised her heavy head and focused her tired eyes into those of the pony in front of her. Seeing trust and a possible answer, she finally spoke.

______________________________________________________________________________

Starting from the very beginning, the words that were stuck inside Applebloom for so long poured out. She talked about how she never knew her parents until one day, she found out who they were; two lovers from conflicting families who married in spite of the circumstances. She even told Twilight of her mother’s song that would replay in her head from time to time, and sang a verse of it. She spoke of going to her parents’ gravesite on that stormy day. As she did, her voice started to crack, and not wanting to start crying, she moved on.

But the heaviness only spread from her head to her eyes and only pushed further. The filly talked about her feelings since that day; her feelings of missing her parents, wondering who they were and what happened to them.

Finally, Applebloom breathed deep, and choked out the question: “What happened to my parents? Why did they die?”

Twilight’s expression had changed throughout the conversation, becoming more and more sympathetic and even saddened by the time Applebloom had finished speaking. She stayed quiet for a moment, then spoke.

“I’ll tell you what I know, Applebloom. It might not be the whole story, but I think it will solve your curiosity. But before I go into that, I want to talk about something else.”

Applebloom sat quietly, and listened.

“You are going through something very painful, and it is no surprise that it is taking such a tool on you. The death of a family member is to heavy for anypony to bear, and that is something I have an idea of. Do you know the story of Nightmare Moon?”

Applebloom nodded, trying to hide her impatience to get to the point.

Twilight continued: “When Princess Luna turned into Nightmare Moon, Princess Celestia had to banish her with the Elements of Harmony. Luna was Nightmare Moon at the time, but she was Celestia’s own sister. And banishment for a thousand years, what she probably thought would be forever, may as well have been the death of a sibling. And it was something she had to bear all on her own.”

Despite her racing heart to find the truth of her parents, Applebloom managed to put Luna’s backstory into perspective. She never thought much about it before, and it never really occurred to her to compare it to the death of a family member.

“As I said, that weight is way too much for a pony to carry on her shoulders, and it isn’t something you should be carrying on your own. I’ll tell you now about your parents, but afterwards, you need to promise me not to keep everything inside you.”

Applebloom nodded, her heart racing harder. “I promise. Please tell me.”

Twilight began.

______________________________________________________________________________

“You must understand that I didn’t know your sister at the time, so I am only saying what she told me. I never witnessed it myself. But when you are ready, maybe you can ask your sister and she can tell the story from her own perspective.”

“If you can recall from what you heard, your grandfather was very overprotective of your mother, and didn’t want her marrying into the Apple family, right?”

Applebloom nodded.

Twilight sighed. “Your grandparents never told you this, but your grandfather’s overprotective behaviour wasn’t just about his family’s business. It was something much deeper.”

Applebloom was set back in shock, her heart pounding harder than ever. She remembered what her siblings said about Grand Pear once being so money-hungry and remorseful of the Apples, and the sadness in his eyes when he met and made peace with Granny Smith after so many years of rivalry. It seemed so believable at the time… but it was a lie?

“Your grandfather used his business as a reason to stay away from the Pears, but the reality was the need to protect his daughter… because she was sick.”

Applebloom’s eyes widened even more.

Twilight continued: “You see, this part was left out of the story. Your mother’s health was actually very weak. Her father was overprotective like any parent would be, and he just didn’t want his daughter to go off and marry. He was worried for her well being, and didn’t want her to marry into a family with rivalrous history which might not take her seriously due to her weak health, and her inability to contribute to the business in any way. Keeping the Pear family seperate was important to your grandfather, but it wasn’t the only factor. The main factor was to keep your mother - his daughter - safe and secure.”

“It was coincidental that she was marrying into a family rivaling hers, but it certainly didn’t help the situation. Your grandfather didn’t trust the Pears to begin with; how could he trust them to take care of his daughter? He knew his daughter was in love… but he just couldn’t help himself, until she finally stood up and said she was going along with her marriage.”

“So your parents stayed together. Your mother didn’t want to go back to her family; she was too bitter with them for not trusting the Apples to treat her well, for acting like she couldn’t take care of herself in spite of her health. That is why she married your father, stayed with the Apple family… and had kids.”

“The Apples did treat her well. And she lived until Applejack was at least 5, Big Mac was at least 7. And… she died… giving birth to you.”

Applebloom’s heart stopped. She stared back at Twilight in disbelief. She couldn’t speak. She couldn’t think. The room started to spin, and the tides threatened to overtake her. But she wouldn’t let them; she needed to hear the rest of the story.

“Your father tried his best running the farm afterwards, and Granny Smith took care of you three. You were only a baby, so you obviously don’t remember the death of your mother. And you also don’t remember the death of your father… he died when you were only two.

Applebloom strained her throbbing mind for a memory trace of her father’s presence. She couldn’t, and thinking of it only increased the pressure behind her eyes that threatened to overtake her.

“Your father was really stressed one day. Business was getting tough; your mother had been able to perform some work even with her weak health, so with her gone things were a lot harder. And the grief of losing her was too much for him as well… you know how much they loved each other.

You’re in my head… like a catchy song… And you should not blame me, too

If I can't help fallin' in love with you...

“There wasn’t a direct cause of his death. Some think it was the stress of running the farm, some say it was a broken heart. Ponies can die from broken hearts, as well as stress.” Twilight closed her eyes, her voice lowering. “He just… gave out one day. It may have been a combination of stress and heartbreak…………………………… and Granny Smith………… sorry………… Applebloom?...……………………”

“Applebloom?...………………………”

The tides were too strong. They threw Applebloom against the surf, washing over her again and again. She couldn’t talk. Couldn’t breathe. Couldn’t think. The world grew fuzzy and watery. She was underwater, drowning beneath strong relentless currents.

She blacked out.