• Published 29th Jun 2018
  • 387 Views, 1 Comments

Orchard of Broken Memories - G4PONYTales



It has been 1 year since Applejack, Applebloom and Big Macintosh discovered the past about their parents. Upon arriving to the first anniversary of this discovery, Applebloom seem to be having some thoughts that bring her mind to a question that is

  • ...
 1
 387

Absent Pony

A ride on Scootaloo’s scooter took the fillies from school to the Apple farm in approximately five minutes. Normal walking distance was closer to fifteen, but Scootaloo’s wings had grown slightly bigger and much stronger over the years. While she still couldn’t fly, she was very hopeful at the idea of being able to some day and had been practicing many stunts on her scooter, strengthening her wings in preparation for when that day would come. It was also the worry and anticipation hanging in the two fillies’ stomachs - that persistent feeling that something was very off with the friend they had known for years - that drove the scooter beyond its’ normal speed limit.

Because of this excitement, Scootaloo had some trouble slowing down as the scooter quickly approached the Apple Farm; she had only seconds to halt the scooter to a stop and, despite breaking her wings against the wind, this proved to be difficult.

The two fillies screamed to take cover as Big Mac, absorbed in his work, grew in their field of view. “Look out, Big Mac!” Screamed Scootaloo.

The stallion’s head whipped left and, paralyzed in shock, his eyes widened: “NononononononNONONONO-”

CRASH!

Fortunately, Scootaloo had managed to alter the direction of the scooter in such a short amount of time. Unfortunately, that wasn’t before the two fillies crashed through the fence and knocked over Big Mac from the side. The three ponies lay down, groaning in pain, until Applejack came running outside.

“What in tarnation is goin’ on-” She stopped short when she saw the damage, and, concerned, came running over.” Are you three alright? What ‘appened?”

Sweetie Belle groaned. “We’re… a little hurt… but not too much-”

“We kind of damaged your fence”, piped up Scootaloo, “and it was my fault for not stopping my scooter on time-”

“I can fix that fence easily; I just hope non of y’all are hurt!” Applejack came over and helped the two fillies up. “You alright, Big Mac?”

Big Mac didn’t say anything, but he groaned.

“I’ll get you some ice, Big Mac. Why don’t you other two come inside and we can talk. It’s just as well that you came, because there’s something I think I should ask you.”

______________________________________________________________________________

The two fillies sat in the living room while Applejack went to get some lemonade. They exchanged glances and whispers on how to bring up the situation.

“So, we haven’t seen Applebloom around at all,” whispered Scootaloo. “Could she be up in her room sick, or could she be, like, gone gone?”

“I think there’s only one way to find out”, replied Sweetie Belle as the older of the two sisters entered the living room with a tray of tea and cookies. The two fillies waited for her to put down the tea set before delivering what could be shocking news of a possible disappearance. Finally, when Applejack sat down, the two fillies spoke at once:

“Is Applebloom here!?!”

Applejack looked thrown back. “Well, of course she is.” The two fillies sighed in relief as Applejack continued. “She came home from school somewhat early, went right up to ‘er room an’ has been up there ever since. Why do you two seem so concerned ‘bout her?”

“Well, the thing is…” Scootaloo’s hoof rubbed the back of her head. “We didn’t see her at school today, and we wanted to ask you about it.”

“We were worried, so we asked Ms. Cheerilee where she could be and she said Applebloom was at home sick. But if you’re saying she wasn’t home for some time earlier today…” the filly’s voice trailed off; the gut feeling having accompanied her all day spread to a rapid thump-thump in her chest. Now it was her turn to speak softly. “Was she not at home sick?”

Applejack, eyes closed, shook her head solemnly. “Applebloom’s her usual strong, healthy self far as ai’m concerned. But a’ can’t believe what a’m hearing; she musta’ written a fake letter to Ms. Cheerilee… A’ don’t believe it. A’ had no clue she was skippin’ class… this ain’t like ‘er at all.”

Nopony spoke for a while; the onset of Applebloom’s unusual and dishonest behaviour grew over them like a heavy stormcloud. Nopony knew what to say, or what to do.

It was Applejack who finally spoke up: “You know somethin’? You two sure are sweet for showing so much concern for your friend. An’ to be honest, ai think ai can trust you two to discuss this matter further. So I’ll present my side of the story, an’ maybe y’all can help me figure out what’s goin’ on.”

______________________________________________________________________________

“Y’all see,” began Applejack, “Applebloom ‘asn’t quite been actin’ ‘erself these days. I’m not sure ‘ow she’s been around you two, but it’s probably been a couple of weeks since she started.

The two fillies’ eyes widened in shock. “A couple of weeks!” Exclaimed Scootaloo. “How come we didn’t know?!” Cried Sweetie Belle.

“That’s what ai was goin’ ta ask you two; if you’ve noticed anything strange ‘bout her.

“We didn’t!” The two fillies said in a mix of shock and disappointment. Normally, the two friends rarely kept secrets from each other; it was one of the main aspects of being bonded by a special destiny to work together and help others. How could Applebloom possibly be keeping anything from them, and for two weeks?

Applejack spoke similarly to what they were thinking. “A’m quite surprised as you are that Applebloom didn’t seem any different around you, because she’s been quite different aroun’ here.”

“How so,” asked Sweetie Belle, her heart racing.

“Well…” began Applejack. “Her mood, fer starters. She’s been walkin’ round the farm like a stormcloud is constantly over ‘er, doing her chores sluggishly as Granny Smith. An’ when ai try to ask ‘er what’s wrong… She’ll just look away from me and say its’ nothin’. And her tone of voice… she’s so softspoken these days, like she’s tryin’ to hold somethin’ back.” Applejack’s voice started to crack at the memory. “As fer me ai… ai’ve been tryin’ so hard not ta worry, thinkin’ that maybe she’s goin’ through some preteen stuff, but it ‘appened so suddenly an’ lasted so long, and now apparently she’s skippin’ school an’... ai just don’t know what ta do anymore…” Applejack’s eyes misted over and she closed them, trying to compose herself.

Scootaloo nudged Sweetie Belle. “Now that I think of it, Sweetie Belle… haven’t you noticed something change in Applebloom’s behaviour lately? Like, other than skipping school I mean.”

Sweetie Belle was suddenly hit with a memory of a CMC mission a few days earlier. “Actually… Applebloom did act a little weird when we were helping that pony get her cutie mark in skateboarding. I mean, she went along with the mission as usual, but when one of us mentioned something - and I can’t really remember what it was - something seemed to strike in her, and she was quiet the rest of the day. But she didn’t tell us what it was and the next day, she seemed fine.” Sweetie Belle’s ears drooped. “Is that what you’re thinking of, Scoot?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yes, that’s the only time I can remember Applebloom acting different. But I don’t think we thought anything of it at first because, well, it was a one-time occurence, and when we saw her the next day she was fine.”

Silence hung heavy in the room, once again. This time, it was Sweetie Belle who broke the silence, her voice cracking: “How could we not have noticed something was going on?”

“Don’t blame yourselves, you two”, said a soft-spoken but well-meaning Applejack. “These things slip by us sometimes, when we’re so comfortable with each other or so absorbed in what we’re doin’... an’ a’ don’t think there is much you could ‘ave done anyhow.” Her voice faltered slightly.

Suddenly, an idea popped into Scootaloo’s mind. “Hey Sweetie Belle, remember that “Apple Bloom undercover” idea we had earlier today? Maybe we could go undercover, and search for Apple Bloom if she goes missing again tomorrow?”

Applejack smiled. “That’s a good idea, but you two have to be in school. A’ really appreciate your concern, but a’ think a’ should be the one ta search fer her tomorrow. Now that a’ know she’s skippin’ school and have somewhat of an idea of what might be goin’ on… a’ think a’ can handle this.” Applejack gave a reassuring smile, but her eyes held some kind of unreadable emotion.

______________________________________________________________________________

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo left the Apple Farm beneath a cloud of uncertainty.

“Do you think Applejack can find Apple Bloom all on her own”, Sweetie Belle asked Scootaloo. The two walked slowly, lost in thought.

“I don’t know”, replied Scootaloo. “There are so many possible places she might be. On the other hand…” her ears perked up. “Maybe she can ask somepony with lots of magic for help.”

A weird look crossed Sweetie Belle’s face. “Yeah, that’s right. How come nopony ever even thinks about that? It feels like everypony with powerful magic, with the exception of Twilight and Starlight, tends to wander off whenever help is needed the most; a few examples are when The Shadow attacked Equestria, when the Storm King invaded, even when Discord was evil…” A smile crossed her face. “I wonder if we should ask Discord?”

Scootaloo shook her head. “I don’t know about that. I mean, he is reformed and all… but remember when he broke that window Pipsqueak had to fix? Also, I don’t really know how to summon him, and what if he-”

“Okay, okay, I get it. Look; Applejack wants to try looking herself. So maybe we should let this conflict unfold in a traditional Equestrian fashion, where our sisters do the hard work and usually wind up saving the day anyway, and if that doesn’t work we can ask Twilight for ideas on seeking powerful assistance.” Sweetie Belle grinned. “Does that sound good?”

Scootaloo thought for a second. “Well, I mean, that always seemed to work before… so sure.” The two fillies smiled, and continued into the setting sun.

______________________________________________________________________________

Neither of the ponies knew that Applejack did, in fact, have a rather sharp idea of where her sister might be. All it had taken was to connect the dots; something which had taken a while partially due to being overwrought with concern, but now the full image was starting to become clear. She hadn’t mentioned anything to her sister’s friends, because there was no need; there were sure to find out eventually.

Apple Bloom’s mood swings had lasted a couple of weeks, and that was about the same amount of time that passed since the big incident. Applejack had had doubts at first, but her gut as the element of honesty rarely failed her. Tomorrow would be the time to pursue her instincts and search for her sister.

______________________________________________________________________________

The next day, the weather was unexpectedly rainy. The skies hung low and grey, raindrops falling faster than a heartbroken pony’s tears.

A’ never thought, thought Applejack as she headed for Twilight’s School of Friendship, that the sky would be cryin’ on a fitting day to do so. Following her gut feeling and continuing to connect the dots in her mind, Applejack knew that today would be rough and emotional. But the most important thing was to get to the bottom of this mess, and hopefully resolve things the best she could.

The first thing to do - Applejack had been prepared for this - was to ask Twilight for some time off of her job at the school.

______________________________________________________________________________

The cemetery looked dark and grey against the stormy skies. Drops fell from tombstones as though the dead themselves were crying.

The only pony in the cemetery sat a drenched, miserable Applebloom. Her mane and hairbow hung heavy with rainwater as she stared, through watery eyes, at the two gravestones marked with two names she had committed to memory since that emotional day:

We're far apart in every way

But you're the best part of my day…

The words hung in the filly’s head, like a catchy song. She thought of the beautiful song of tragic love she would never hear again, and didn’t know why. The tears in her eyes got bigger.


And you should not blame me, too

If I can't help fallin' in love with you...


The two ghosts which Applebloom briefly imagined on the tombstones drifted away; ghosts with words sung by the dead. Suddenly, she felt a hoof on her shoulder.

Applebloom rubbed her eyes and swiveled around. She met the big, green, honest eyes of her sister’s, concerned against the stormy skies. Her voice spoke with a stern heaviness:

“Applebloom, we need to talk.”