• Published 29th Jun 2018
  • 384 Views, 1 Comments

Orchard of Broken Memories - G4PONYTales



It has been 1 year since Applejack, Applebloom and Big Macintosh discovered the past about their parents. Upon arriving to the first anniversary of this discovery, Applebloom seem to be having some thoughts that bring her mind to a question that is

  • ...
 1
 384

Bloom out of Class

At the start of the school day, Sweetie Belle entered the classroom eager to meet her friends. To her surprise, neither Scootaloo nore Applebloom were there. Hmm, that’s strange, she wondered, I know Scootaloo usually shows up a few minutes later than me, but Applebloom always arrive earlier than me. I wonder what happened to her. Scootaloo lives much further from the school than any of the CMCs, but Sweetie Belle and Applebloom live only 5-10 minutes walking distance. The only problem Sweetie Belle could currently think of was that Applebloom had been caught up in her chores at the farm.

Just then, a breathless Scootaloo burst through the doors. “I’m… (panting) here… (panting) Sorry I’m… (panting) late…”

“Actually, class hasn’t even started yet.” replied Sweetie Belle.

Scootaloo looked up and around. “Really? Phew, I thought I was running late. But I guess today was one of my lucky days.” Scootaloo, breathing heavily, noticed the worry written on Sweetie Belle’s face. “Uh, Sweetie Belle, are you alright? You seem to be… distracted.”

“Apple Bloom’s not here right now,” Sweetie replied, “and that’s strange because out of the three of us, she’s usually here first. Do you happen to see her on your way to school earlier today?”

Scootaloo rubbed her chin in thought. “Now that you mentioned it, I didn’t see her on my way here today.” Suddenly, her eyes widened “I just hope she hasn’t… I don’t know, wandered into Zecora’s house and picked up some strange illness. Remember when she got that Cutie Pox disease?” Scootaloo giggled despite shivering at the disturbing memory, “So creepy, even Discord probably would have freaked out if he had been there.”

Sweetie Belle cringed in retort. “You know, you really didn’t have to bring that up Scoot You know I had some nasty nightmares after that incident, and you of everypony should understand my pain since your little nightmare experience from Rainbow Dash’s campfire stories.” Scootaloo herself cringed while Sweetie Belle continued. “Plus, cutie pox disease or not, I don’t think she’s sick. It normally takes time for an illness to reach its’ full peak. We both saw Applebloom yesterday during tutoring sessions at Twilight’s school, and if I remember correctly she seemed okay.”

Scootaloo thought for a second. “Yeah, you do have a point on that. But I just can’t think of any other reason why she wouldn’t be here. Maybe she got caught up with chores at the farm?”

“I doubt it”, replied Sweetie Belle. “Applejack takes school very seriously, and even though she’s busy teaching at Twilight’s School of Friendship these days, I bet you she wouldn’t want her sister missing school due to farm chores; especially because Apple Bloom’s cutie mark doesn’t specialize primarily in farming like the cutie marks of her siblings do”.

The school bell rang, signaling class.

“Let’s wait until recess; maybe the idea will come to us then”, continued Sweetie Belle.

However, as the class droned on, neither filly realized that the other was equally worried about something more serious having happened to their friend.

______________________________________________________________________________

After a long learning period, it was finally time for recess. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo rushed outside, scanning the playground for any sight of their friend. “Okay, I know Applebloom usually asks this question, so, what should we do to find out where Apple Bloom is?” Scootaloo asks.

“We could always ask Ms. Cheerilee. She always know where students are when they aren’t at school”, answered Sweetie Belle.

“Do you really think so?”, Scootaloo replied. “She doesn’t know everything all the time; it’s not like she’s some weird wizard like that old beardo and those other ponies Twilight brought back from some standstill time trap a couple years back.”

Sweetie Belle frowned in disapproval. “Uh, his name is Starswirl, and those other five are the Pillars of Old Equestria. Also, why shouldn’t we ask Ms. Cheerilee? I mean, is in charge of the attendance.”

Scootaloo shrugged dismissively. “I dunno; I’ve tried asking Cheerilee many things that I needed to get, but it just… never seems to go over so well, you know?”

Sweetie Belle didn’t bother asking further about Scootaloo’s unknown incidents; there were a lot of things she tended to keep secret from her friends, after all. “Well, do you have a better idea than this?”

Scootaloo thought for a moment. “Actually, I do have a better idea; why don’t we try asking the other classmates and see if they’ve seen Applebloom anywhere? Maybe she’s going undercover, or she could be sneaking out of school with that coltfriend dancer we’ve met back at the dance studio the other day-”

“Okay Scoot; that’s enough,” Sweetie Belle suddenly interrupted by shoving a hoof into Scootaloo’s mouth. “I don’t really think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?” Ask Scootaloo.

“I can think of a few reasons not to. Like with the ‘Applebloom undercover’ idea: If she was undercover, how will anypony even know it was her?”

Scootaloo’s ears sank in realization. “Oh…”

Sweetie Belle continued: “Plus, that idea with the coltfriend and apple pie care package with Big Mac and Sugar Belle recently...” Sweetie Belle shivered, “ugh, I just don’t want to go through that again.”

“Oh come on, Sweetie Belle,” pleaded Scootaloo, “what could possibly go wrong?”

“EVERYTHING!!!” Sweetie Belle screamed loudly before dropping her head on the table. “Grrrrrrgh…”

“Seriously, Sweetie Belle, just chill. It’s not like that’s gonna happen again.”

“How do you know?”, asked Sweetie Belle, her voice muffled.

“Well…” Scootaloo thought with uncertainty. “How about I won’t let it happen again, okay? You can count on me!”

“Well…” Sweetie Belle thought for a moment. “Okay then; let’s go with your plan. If it doesn’t work, I’m still sticking along with mine later.”

“Alright, let’s break!” Scootaloo said.

Both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo separated into different directions, hoping to cover more ground. Scootaloo went over to the playground where Rumble was resting. “Excuse me Rumble, have you seen Apple Bloom?”

Rumble turned around. “Sorry, nope, haven’t seen her. Why don’t you try asking that dance pony; I think his name is Tender Taps. I’ve heard that Apple Bloom hangs out with him sometimes.”

“Okay, thanks!” Said Scootaloo and murmurs to herself, “See what I mean, Sweetie?”

Meanwhile, Sweetie Belle checked the more isolated areas of the school yard with the faint notion that her friend might be undercover after all. Suddenly, she heard some beeping and a rustle in the bushes.

Sweetie Belle, still going along with the “Apple Bloom undercover” idea, crept over the the bushes before hastily pushing the leaves apart where the noise lead her.

Instead, she saw Button Mash playing with his JoyBoy. The filly’s ears sank in disappointment, but she decided she might as well ask. “Hey Button Mash, have you seen Applebloom anywhere?” What she got in retort was unexpected:

“Die you zombies!” Button Mash screamed so loud that Sweetie Belle’s mane stuck up behind her.

“Ugh,” Sweetie Belle brushed her mane back into place, before speaking louder. “Button Mash!”

“Huh, what? What is it?” Button Mash paused the game and looked up, annoyed.

“I said, have you seen Apple Bloom anywhere?” Sweetie Belle repeated herself, slightly annoyed herself.

Button Mash shook his head, “Sorry, haven’t seen her.” He turned around, picked up his Joy Boy, and resumed playing. Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes and left.

______________________________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, Scootaloo came across Diamond Tiara, who was having a conversation with a few other ponies about how to improve school conditions. Since her reformation, the former school bully had taken to putting her cutie mark towards better use by using her leadership skills and rich background to help the community; similarly to what the CMCs have been doing. Silver Spoon, by this time, had transferred to another school for reasons unknown and the friendship between the two fillies, having been rocky at one point, was also now unclear. What everypony knew for certain was that Diamond Tiara, if still a bit bossy at times, had gotten to be very helpful and approachable.

Scootaloo came up to the group of ponies surrounding her, and made a big announcement: “Excuse me everypony, I’m very sorry to be bothering you at this moment, but have you any idea of where Apple Bloom is?”

A few ponies looked annoyed at the disruption, but Diamond Tiara looked concerned. “No, I don’t think any of us have seen her anywhere. Maybe she’ll show up tomorrow.” And the group of ponies went back to talking.

______________________________________________________________________________

As the end of recess approached, the two CMCs shared their findings and realized that nopony seemed to know where their friend might be. They decided that their final resort, at least while they were at school, was to ask Ms. Cheerilee.

“Excuse me, Ms. Cheerilee,” said Sweetie Belle, approaching the teacher.

“Yes Sweetie Belle?”

“Do you know where Apple Bloom is?”

“Well, I’ve actually received a letter from Applejack saying that she can’t come in today. She said that Apple Bloom as a fever.” Replied Ms. Cheerilee.

Sweetie Belle fell thrown back, especially since her gut seemed still told her that something was off. “that’s strange; she seemed alright to me the day before.”

Ms. Cheerilee noticed Sweetie Belle’s concern, “All I know is what the letter said. It could be a 24 hour fever; those types come and go pretty fast. I wouldn’t worry so much.”

“Okay, thanks Ms. Cheerilee,” Sweetie Belle said before entering the classroom. She immediately ran into Scootaloo.

“There’s no need to repeat it Sweetie Belle,” said the pegasus. “I heard Ms. Cheerilee. But my real question is this; do you think that might be the case?”

“I don’t know, but for some reason, I still have doubts” Sweetie Belle said.“Something fishy is going on. We should find Applejack after school and get to the bottom of this.”