• Published 26th Jun 2018
  • 1,575 Views, 11 Comments

A Princess's Secret - StormLuna



Twilight has just been crowned as a princess but is unsure of what her role will be. On top of that, she is hiding a secret that she is scared to admit to anypony, even the one that it would affect the most.

  • ...
12
 11
 1,575

Return to Ponyville

Twilight's coronation day had been long, hectic and tiring for not just her, but her friends as well. After a final supper and two hours of chit-chat, Twilight and her friends finally headed for home. As they boarded the train Twilight let out a yawn, "Ugh, I don't think I've had a day so tiring in my life."

Rainbow groaned, "Tell me about it and I wasn't even the one who had to go through a fancy coronation."

Pinkie added, "I know it was tiring but we all got to have lots of fun!"

Twilight gave them a weak smile before leaning her head back against her seat and closed her eyes. As she sat there, there were plenty of thoughts running through her mind, some that were good and some that were troubling her. She was happy that she had finally fulfilled the destiny that Celestia had set for her the day she hatched Spike but the one thing that troubled her was that she did not have a role.

She sighed in frustration and her friends could tell there was something wrong. Out of all of them though, Fluttershy would be the one to confront her over what was wrong. She nudged her shoulder and asked, "Twilight, are you ok?" Her voice showed more concern as she continued, "You know if anything is wrong, you can tell us."

Applejack added, "Yeah, we're your friends and friends are always there for one another."

What was bothering her was something that she really did not want to share with her friends. She felt that discussing her lack of a role would be something better suited for discussing with Celestia, Luna or maybe even Cadence. She had no desire to burden her friends with such a thing, "Oh I'm ok girls, I just have some things running through my mind."

Spike was listening in and knew that if she would talk to anyone, it would likely be him. He suggested, "Twilight, if you don't want to talk about it around them, we could always talk when we get home."

Twilight knew that Spike would be much more likely to understand her problems but at that moment she didn't want to bring it up to him either, "Oh it's ok Spike, I'll be fine."

Spike shrugged his shoulders and turned to to Twilight's friends, only to see them do the same thing. The six knew that something was going on with Twilight but knew that she was not about to open up, at that moment anyway. Fluttershy saw Twilight leaning back and it was obvious that whatever was bothering her was likely much more serious than they thought. She turned to her friends and said, "Girls, maybe she just doesn't want to bring it up on the train. Maybe she doesn't want anypony else to hear what she's worried about."

Rainbow looked around and questioned, "What other ponies? We're the only ones on this car!"

Fluttershy suggested, "Well maybe she will be more willing to open up once she's back in the library."

Spike replied, "You're probably right, I'm sure she'll feel more comfortable opening up there."

After what seemed to be a longer train ride than normal, the train finally pulled into Ponyville. Fluttershy noticed that Twilight had fallen asleep and she was the one to wake her. She nudged her and said, "Twilight, get up. We're back in Ponyville."

Twilight jumped at first but then saw she was surrounded by her friends and noticed that the train had ground to a halt. She asked, "I take it we're back in Ponyville?"

Fluttershy reached her hand out and replied, "Yes, we're back in Ponyville."

Fluttershy pulled her up out of her seat and they headed towards the exit. Once they exited the train they thought they would again try to get her to open up. Rarity was the first to say anything, "Twilight darling, we know something is bothering you. Would you want us to come to the library and we could talk about it?"

Twilight rejected the offer, "I'm fine girls, I just need to get some sleep and hope I'll learn what kind of duties I have to perform before too long."

In unison her friends replied, "Very well."

Most of them headed in separate directions but Fluttershy would walk with Twilight to the library since it was on the way to her cottage. As they approached the library Fluttershy suggested, "Twilight, I know you don't want to talk about anything right now but if you ever do need to talk, I'll always be here for you."

Something seemed different about the way Fluttershy talked to her about this than the others. To Twilight, it seemed like Fluttershy had a true, genuine amount of concern for her. She replied, "You know Fluttershy, I think I'll take you up on that offer." She looked down at Spike and continued, "Would you mind staying here while I go with Fluttershy to her cottage? I really want it to just be the two of us."

This surprised Spike, "Seriously, you only want it to be you and Fluttershy talking about this?"

Twilight replied, "Yes, I want it to just be her and I."

Spike sighed, "Very well but you know I'm here to listen as well."

Twilight nodded and she walked with Fluttershy to her cottage. On the way they discussed normal, everyday things as Twilight did not want to open up until she knew that the only one listening would be Fluttershy.