• Published 23rd Jun 2018
  • 1,439 Views, 26 Comments

The Sun and Moon Under the Sea - Foal Star



Celestia and Luna visit Queen Novo's underwater kingdom for a quick getaway as sea ponies. However they get be swept out to sea and they have to find their way home!

  • ...
3
 26
 1,439

Prolouge: Planning for a Vacation

Celestia awoke, no device or spell required, her mind simply knowing what time it was to raise the sun. The mare sighed stretching her wings and slowly got out of bed, finding herself more groggy than usual, a byproduct of being stone not too long ago.

As she rubbed her temples in an attempt to shake off her exhaustion, a quick glance as her bag filed, bloodshot eyes caused a thought to enter her mind. “I could use a cup of coffee right about now.”

Letting out a yawn, the Princess quietly made her way through the still empty and dark halls. A glance here and there allowed her to observe many of the night shift workers,busy repairing the damage to the palace from the Storm King’s assault. In particular, several ponies were working to seal up an especially large crack in the ceiling. Honestly she was amazed the ceiling hadn’t already collapsed given the size of the crack.

Celestia then turned her attention to one of the architect ponies. Said grey colored stallion was in the midst of looking some blueprints, while ordering the other construction workers to both seal the crack as well as repair some of the broken windows. Once his orders were given, he took a moment to sip the cup of coffee situated near him, before his eyes, covered by a pair of sleek glasses, finally noticed the Princess’s presence. For a moment he looked ready to choke, keeping his mouth shut as he coughed, hoping to avoid spraying coffee all over the floor. Once his throat was clear, the architect quickly ran up to the princess smiling as he stammered, "Go-go-good morning Princess Celestia.”

Princess Celestia gave a sleepy smile and giggled.“Hello as well, Perfect Angle. I see the repairs are going rather smoothly?”

He sighed as he adjusted his glasses. “Smooth but slow I’m afraid. It’ll be a week or two before the palace will be finished and then there’s the damage to the rest of the city. I’m sorry we can stay on schedule, but there has been so much damage and we haven’t even gotten started repairing the towers yet.”

The architect spoke with almost a sense of panic, hesitant with each word he spoke, likely fearing backlash from the Princess. However, said royal was actually feeling rather relieved. Truthfully, she was almost grateful for the delay, as it meant all of her normal duties that took up the bulk of her day had been cut in half. In fact, Celestia blinked with surprise as she realizes in almost a two hundred years she’s kind of on a break. Celestia continued, “Well that’s unfortunate…but it’s an understandable problem. Regardless, there is nothing to worry about Perfect Angle, just keep up the good work.”

Perfect Angle asked, “Uh, Princess Celestia, since we’re rebuilding the palace is there anything you want to add.”

Celestia blushed as she immediately knew what she wanted to ask for, “If it wouldn’t be too much trouble, a hot tub upstairs would be nice and a bigger oven in the kitchen also.”

Perfect Angel simply nodded, not wanting to argue with the princess before going over the blueprints and adding Celestia’s details. Celestia continued her way out into the front and gave a long sigh as she looked into the night, seeing that the moons were slowly lowering in the sky, followed slowly by her sister. The Princess of the Night was in a similar state to her sister, exhausted from their stone imprisonment, made worse by her own nocturnal nature. Celestia looked up with a sheepish smile and asked, “Good morning Luna, have a pleasant night?”

Luna sighed, “I...I feel...my tower is still gone…I don’t know I just feel...stressed.” The princes let out another yawn, the dark bags hanging underneath her eyes.

Celestia sighed and nodded as she continued and thought to herself. “I think that we could use a vacation or something…you know while the castle is still being rebuilt.”

Luna seemed to perk up at the idea and chuckled as she looked up. “An intriguing proposal sister, but where would we go?”

Celestia tapped a hoof on her chin and giggled as she asked, “Why don’t we go to the beach?”

Luna blinked a she looked up confused. “The…beach? But we don’t know how to swim.” Then the two princesses burst into laughter and Celestia scoffed, “We’re over a thousand years old and we still never learned how to swim.”

Luna paused and asked, “What about the hippogriffs? I mean they have that pearl that can transform us into sea ponies.”

Celestia blushed, embarrassed she hadn’t considered that as a possible option. “T...that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I mean we would need to find somepony to control the sun and moon for a few days and just make sure things don’t fall apart here…”

Luna sighed rubbing her forehead then she looked up and ask, “We could ask Twilight. After all, she has shown her capability in managing such a task. Though I do feel wrong in asking such a thing from her, especially given how much she’s already done for us.”

Celestia nodded and replied, “Yes, it seems that she would be the only pony I would trust to watch things over while we’re gone. Though I also agree that it would feel wrong to ask something of her simply so that we may have fun on our own. “

Luna sighed and shook her head. “No it’s a stupid idea, I don’t think we can put all that stress on Twilight. She did enough saving Equestria and our rumps.”

Celestia sighed and gave a sigh nod realizing that Luna was thinking the same thing on how they felt so useless. There was a long pause between the two sisters and Luna looked up and smiled, “It was a good thought, but I don’t think it’s possible. I’m going to go get some sleep.”

As she slowly walked off to the castle mumbling about missing her tower. Celestia tapped a hoof to her chin. “You know maybe…maybe Twilight will agree…”


Later that morning Celestia had Twilight come to Canterlot, and to her surprise she was quite nervous waiting in her room for her former student. Despite being the ruler of the entire kingdom for many years, she felt almost uncomfortable asking her student what she was about to. Regardless, she’d need to burn that bridge as Twilight eventually walked into the room with a big smile on her face. “Celestia!”

She ran into the solar princess as she wrapped her giant wings around the purple alicorn. “Hello Twilight, how are you doing?”

She sighed. “It’s going well, I’ve working to get Fizzlepop adjusted to living in Ponyville at the moment. Though, there are still a few rough patches to work on.”

Celestia nodded, maintaining her usual smile., “I’m glad to hear that Twilight. It’s such a wonderful thing to hear that you're still making friends.”

Twilight giggled, ”Well, I am the Princess of Friendship.” They broke their embrace, and the purple alicorn asked, ”So what’s up, I’m pretty certain you didn’t just want me to come just to talk?”

Celestia sighed as she explained, “You’d be correct. You see, Luna and I, things have been especially taxing on us after the attack by the Storm King and we need a vacation. I was hoping maybe if you could take care of things for a few days.”

Twilight squeaked as she clapped her hooves in excitement. “You mean I get to raise the sun and moon!?”

Celestia chuckled, “Well yes, and you need to make sure that daily life in Equestria goes well, things are still settling down since the events of the Friendship Festival.”

Twilight smirked as she rubbed her hooves together. ”Alright, well looks like Spike is going to have to work overtime...” She paused for a few moments and asked, ”So, uh, where are you and Luna planning to go?”

Celestia smirked, “I thought we could go see Queen Novo and well…become sea ponies and enjoy a few days exploring the ocean. Luna and I rarely left Equestria since we became rulers and I think it would be interesting and relaxing to see Equestria’s oceans from a new perspective.”

Twilight smiled. “That sounds like a great idea. Queen Nova seemed like a real patient and kind ruler…” she quickly sighed as she recalled her past meeting with the Hippogriff queen.”Let’s just hope I didn’t ruin our relations…I’m not a hundred percent sure she trusts us since I…did something…”

Celestia nodded knowingly and replied, ”It’s alright Twilight, I know you tried to steal their Pearl of Transformation to save us. Queen Novo told me everything already.”

Twilight turned her head down in shame, yet relaxed when she felt Celestia’s wing on her shoulder. “Twilight, there’s nothing for you to be ashamed about. It was reckless and a poor judgment on your part, but your intentions were noble. I already wrote to her about the situation and our relationship is still strong.”

The purple alicorn perked up, her smile immediately returning “That’s good to hear, thanks...I won’t fail you again.”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Oh Twilight, you’re too hard on yourself. Everypony makes mistakes from time to time, even me. You know that, don’t you”

Twilight nodded as she sighed in relief seeing that Celesta was right, she’d learned from her failure and wasn’t angry at all about how she tried to steal the heirloom.

Celestia continued, “Now, as for your duties, I have them all written down on a scroll and it lays out, in detail, all you’ll need to do. We’re going to be gone for five days, and Luna will be back on the fifth night to raise the moon.

Twilight, having moved past her prior concerns, was tingling all over with anticipation to raise the sun and moon again. ”Don’t worry Princess, no matter what you need I can assure you I’ll handle everything and more!”

Celestia smiled, “Oh, I have full confidence in your ability my dear student. Though I must admit, Luna and I were at an impasse when I spoke earlier, she didn’t think this would work. I’ll go tell her the good news.

Twilight quietly nodded, doing her best to hide her anticipation. “Oh, this is going to be so cool! I’m going to get to raise the sun again and this time Equestria isn’t in crisis for a change!” She let out an excited squee that could be heard throughout the castle, Celestia merely chuckling as she walked down the halls.


It took three days for Luna to finally be convinced that the two rulers needed a vacation, Luna falling asleep while lowering the moon and nearly crashing it into a mountain certainly helped. Thus the two planned their trip out. They would leave that Monday and be back by Saturday. By then the palace would be entirely rebuilt, and the two could continue their duties after a few days of rest.

Twilight herself was looking over the scroll Celestia had left with all her assigned duties while Spike was busy stacking books on diplomacy and politics in Equestria.

Luna, despite originally objecting to the idea, was in the room chuckling at the sight of Celestia pacing back and forth, trying to think of anything she forgot before they headed off. “Sister, is there something troubling you?”

Celestia promptly stopped her pacing and chuckled, trying to shake off any laboring concerns. “Yes, everything's fine, it’s just been awhile since I left Equestria.”

Luna smirked and gave Celestia's mane a pat. “You worry too much, we have Twilight holding down the fort and you know better than any pony her organizational abilities are without question.”

Celestia sighed and nodded, taking a few deep breaths before looking at Twilight, who was busy reading her list of instructions.

Celestia chuckled again seeing how deep in focus Twilight was and did her best to regain her attention. “Now Twilight, I’ve already handled many of the more taxing assignments over the last few days in preparation for this little vacation, so things should be quite easy for you.”

Twilight managed to look up from the list and nodded, “I noticed, I actually read the list over one hundred times and have already created a perfect schedule to make sure everything will goes along fine while you’re gone.”

Luna smirked at her sister’s student.”Is that so? Then Twilight, you do remember at what time to raise the sun and moon, correct?”

Twilight again nodded, almost robotically at the question, eyes zeroing in on a specific part of the schedule. “Of course, the sun is to be raised at approximately six am while the moon is to be raised at precisely eight pm.”

The princess both nodded in approval as Celestia continued. “Now, I told Spike that if things get out of control to send me a direct message and we’ll return immediately.”

“Don’t worry about that Princess Celestia. I promise things we be completely in order while you’re gone and there’ll be no need to stop your vacation.” Twilight spoken with clear confidence in her voice, as sure of herself as usual.

Luna chuckled at the young alicorn’s expression, and gave Twilight a pat on the head. “Alright well, good luck and again if you need anything let us know.”

The two then both strode through the room, before Celestia paused turned.“ Twilight are you certain you can handle things?”

The Princess of Friendship merely offered another confident nod. ,”Princess, with all due respect, I think I’m more than capable of handling this. Just put your concerns at ease and enjoy your trip, you have nothing to worry about.”

With one last look the white-coated alicorn nodded as she left with her sister. Luna turned a playful smirk on her face. “So, you sure we won't come back to find Canterlot ruins?”

Celestia blushed at her sister’s joke, taking another glance back. “I’m sure things will be fine, I’m sure Twilight is up to the task.” They continued their way through the ruined great hall, now filled with the construction workers going about and the sound of power drills and Perfect Angel,irritated and barking orders. The sight actually made Celestia laugh while Luna looked on perplexed.

“What pray tell is so amusing sister?”

“It’s just that, normally the castle always feels so formal, composed and elegant. But right now, you’d swear we’d just walked into Manehattan.”

Luna scoffed, “Uh, do not remind me. Between everything that’s happened and all the noise going on throughout the day, I’ve barely been able to get any sleep and I still need to adjust my own internal clock to try and stay awake during the day.”

Celestia blushed, ”Sorry, I know it’ll be hard for you to adjust."

Luna quietly hushed her sister with a hoof.“It won’t be the first time I’ve had to do such a thing, nor the last. Let us focus on more pressing matters. I hear that Queen Novo has arranged a little welcoming party for us when we arrive and I’d like to arrive sooner rather than later.”

Celestia lost in thought squealed as her wings spread out. “Your right, we're going to be late!” She grabbed Luna by the hoof as they flew out the doors and into the air. Luna sighed thinking to herself.

“She really isn't sure about this either. Hopefully, we can relax without worrying about the fate of Equestria for a few days.”