• Published 20th Jun 2018
  • 859 Views, 5 Comments

The Synthesizers - Wiz Ahmad



Silverstream and Smolder set out to enjoy their new toys, and team up with Scootaloo to create a team called "The Synthesizers", discovering a whole new world of creativity, freedom, fame, and adventure.

  • ...
0
 5
 859

Forming the Plan

And so, at precisely three minutes past the let-off point in the afternoon, the discussion began around a table in the library. It took a bit of careful planning and negotiation, but Smolder soon got Twilight to allow her board into the library, so she could explain the plan more clearly.

“So, Ocellus, here’s how this works,” she began. “From what Silverstream explained to me from watching a little ferret named Sasha in Fluttershy’s class, all acts of jumping need a push to get momentum.”

“Ah yes, as I call it, the push force!” Ocellus replied excitedly.

Smolder smiled back at her. “You enjoy those areas of science, don’t you? Now, this ‘push’ is done downwards with your feet.”

“Yeah, like, it’s how we jump!” Sandbar said joyfully, catching on as he leapt straight up and back down, barely avoiding slipping on the floor pillow he’d been sitting on.

Smolder let out a pleased laugh. “All items that have a lower level of rigidity will bounce. We’ve all seen this when we play buckball. So, if I push down hard on the tail here, then it should bounce back up.”

She hit the tail of her board multiple times, but it never bounced – only the nose rose straight up.

“That explains why the gym floor is hard,” Ocellus explained. “C’mon, let’s go there. It may be closed, but we can always come up with excuses to enter.”

After discussing plans to assist each other in the other ideas and goals they each had, the six students left the library and headed down the hall towards the gym, taking the long route around so they wouldn’t have to pass Headmare Twilight’s office. To their surprise, it was open.

Gallus flicked on the lights and they entered. The storage room was locked, though, so Silverstream couldn’t get access to her bike. Nonetheless, Smolder still had her demonstration to perform.

“So, again, push down on the tail, should come up.”

Smolder put her foot on the tail and pushed it down hard. The board vibrated with a resonating click sound, but only shook under her foot.

“Try lifting your foot right after you push it down, so the board has room to actually bounce,” Gallus suggested. You’re pushing the board down and holding it, when you need to bounce it.”

Smolder gave a slight nod. "Yeah, that was what I was aiming for."

Giving it another try, she pushed down and pulled back up a bit. The board snapped down and popped back up, vibrating a little. Acting quickly, Smolder moved her foot forward and down again, grounding the board to a standstill.

“Hi Gallus! Um… wait. What are you all doing in here?” Starlight interrogated as she passed by the door, having obviously heard their voices and bouncing noises of the board.

“Just a scientific observation with a tool for observation of principles and theories,” Gallus replied, trying to shrug it off. “We’re actually almost done.”

“Mmm. Okay, because Twilight’s requesting that board back.”

Smolder sighed and nodded. “I know, Starlight. Thanks.” She turned back to face her friends. “There’s still a few more questions and areas of examination though…”

“If something’s in the air, can’t it be pulled forward through the air?” Gallus proposed.

“And that’s just tapping the board hard enough to make it bounce, or ‘pop’,” Ocellus added. “Could there be a way to still control the board while doing that tail tap? And still jump up?”

“Yak mind cannot fully comprehend, but Yona think Smolder’s done good job explaining,” Yona said with a pleased smile.

“We’ll just have to figure it out another time,” Silverstream concluded.

Author's Note:

I could elaborate more on the other students, but I want to stay focused on the key elements of what Smolder and Silverstream are learning. More to come!

Also, I'll be making these chapters longer, so as to shorten the number of overall chapters.