• Published 8th Nov 2019
  • 1,032 Views, 2 Comments

Strawberries and Storm Clouds - Skyblitz



Months after their first steamy encounter, Soarin decides that it's high time for he and Thunderlane to go on the perfect date together for Hearts and Hooves Day. Thing is, Soarin isn't the most organised or luckiest of ponies.

  • ...
5
 2
 1,032

Soggy Caramels


"I know how this sounds, but believe me..."


As a warm, spring breeze blew across the Academy courtyard, a deathly silence hung in the air. It was the kind of silence that felt heavy, tangible, thick with anticipation and expectation. The blue and gold banners running along the fence danced lazily in the wind, the great silver gates of the main courtyard open wide, proudly marked with the Academy's ancient crest upon the arch. A magpie landed on a fence post, joined quickly by its companion. As the birds squarked and the wind began to die down, it happened.

BRRRRRRRRRRRING

The school bell echoed out across the sky, sending the magpies fleeing as the shrill sound bounced around the courtyard and out into the city streets of Cloudsdale. Many ponies turned to face the school, many simply walking or flying by without a second thought. But others quickly veered away from those prestigious silver gates, turning back into the narrow alleys that ran between the cloudhomes. The once happy faces of ponies enjoying Celestia's sun were replaced with looks of fear and worry, for the wise amongst them knew what was to follow. Old mares shuffled into cafés as quickly as their old legs and wings would carry them, gazing fearfully out the windows as a deep rumble began to sound from the Academy. The rumble grew louder and louder, building like winter thunder upon the stormfronts. It almost seemed as if the very foundations of Cloudsdale itself began to quake. The double doors of the Academy entrance burst open, revealing a single, pale blue pegasus stallion rising high into the air. With a hoof raised punching the sky, Soarin called out.

"School's out, ponies!"

A torrent of multicoloured pegasi streamed from the open doors of the Academy, a tide of cacophonous cheers and jubilant cries erupting from the school like an unstoppable storm. The rumble of hooves and the beat of wings boomed outwards into the city of Cloudsdale, surging forwards with the crowd as colts and fillies of all ages and sizes stampeded out of the main gates and soared over the fences and flagpoles. The school year was at an end, and woe betide any who would stand in the way of Cloudsdale's youth and their freedom.

Soarin beamed as he watched the flood of ponies rush past him, feeling on top of the world as he breathed in the fresh, exhilarating air that marked the end of a time of stress, exams and painful studying. He brushed a hoof through his navy blue mane, marveling at the glory that was Cloudsdale, somehow seeming brighter and fuller in the light of a sun that seemed to beckon him and his fellow students out into the open world. No more sleepless nights by candlelight, no more hoof cramps from writing endless lines of tedious nonsense on reams of paper, no more parental moaning of, 'you're not putting enough effort into your research!' No, all that was behind Soarin now, and he felt like the leader of a revolution as he watched the tide of pegasi beneath him.

"You aren't imagining you're some kind of grand hero again, are you?" came a sarcastic voice from below him. Soarin almost turned himself upside down as he craned his neck around to see the fast approaching form of a handsome, grey colt with golden eyes.

"I would never do anything so childish! Sweet Celestia, Thunder, it's like you don't even know me!"

Thunderlane rolled his eyes as he came to flutter beside Soarin, his face breaking into the thinnest of smiles that his coltfriend adored. Soarin span his body back upright and rushed into an unprepared Thunderlane's hooves, grabbing the slimmer pony with his forelegs and wrapping them around his partner's wings before planting a lightning quick peck on his lips. Thunderlane blinked in surprise at having the air knocked out of his lungs, but his look of shock almost instantly melted upon realising what had happened.

"I really should be more ready for those, huh?" he laughed. "Six months and you still manage to get me."

"Just a special talent of mine, you little slow-pony." Thunderlane swatted him around the head with his forehooves playfully, throwing around words like 'idiot' and 'airhead' as Soarin, beaming like a maniac, dodged each attempt at a beating.

"I swear to the Sun, I'll get you on of these days."

"Unlikely. Remember who you're talking to, young colt."

"Pfft. Ooooo look at me, I'm Soarin and I got a scholarship for flying fast in a circle!" Thunderlane said, his voice dripping with sarcasm as he imitated his coltfriend's voice with frightening accuracy. "I can't wait for the summer where I get to meet other ponies who can fly in circles too!"

"Oh fuck you, cripple wings!" Soarin spluttered as he dove at Thunderlane again, this time being met with surprise as the grey stallion expertly rolled to his left. Thunderlane winked at him slyly as Soarin suddenly forced himself to stop moving lest he collide with the tide of running ponies below him. Thunderlane fluttered up beside him as he righted himself, startling the blue pegasus as he planted a soft kiss on his cheek from behind.

"I am proud of you, ya know. Don't ever think otherwise," Thunderlane said softly, barely above a whisper. Soarin turned to meet his coltfriend's amber gaze, and within he could see a deep warmth that only Thunderlane seemed able to muster. It made him feel all fuzzy inside, like hot cheese fondue or a chocolate glazing on a banana split. He could feel the rush of heat to his cheeks as he smiled. It was rare that Soarin felt embarrassed or was caught off-guard, but he knew Thunderlane had a way with picking moments to do or say something that would put his efforts at returning such love to shame. It wasn't his fault. Thunderlane was just a lot more loving than he was, and it was unfortunately something which had been grating on Soarin's mind more recently of late. Regardless, he leaned in and returned the kiss.

"Thanks Thunder," he muttered, letting a comfortable silence fall before speaking again. "I'm so lucky to have you." He gave Thunderlane a hug, resting his head oh his shoulders before pulling away. "Now that we're free, wanna go somewhere? I don't have to be home till dinner and I've got time to kill."

"Oh, err, actually I was gonna go over to Blossomforth's house today, 'cause you know, it's her little sister's birthday today and she wanted me to help out with the decorations. I swear I told you?"

Soarin's smile continued whilst his brain almost short-circuited, probing the depths of his memory to remember when and where this information had come to him.

"Soarin?"

"Oh, oh yeah! Goddess, my memory is terrible. Um, okay, well you go and do that and err, I guess I'll see you round? When are you free?"

"Any day next week, but I can do this weekend," Thunderlane said with a sly wink. "I'll see you later, Soar."

Soarin gave his coltfriend another hug before he flew away, his dark grey form disappearing into the distance. The students had long cleared out of the Academy, and Soarin suddenly found himself with only his own company. Not seeing anypony else in sight, Soarin beat his wings and flew towards the main avenue that ran through the centre of Cloudsdale. The wind carried him as he glided over the crowds of mares and stallions going about their business, their sense of safety returned once the tide of excited students had passed them by. Soarin smiled to himself as he looked around him.
Cloudsdale had been his home since he was born, and he knew every alley, street, avenue and pathway through the bustling metropolis. Nearly every street corner held a memory in the young stallion's heart, every shop the site of a family day out, post-skyball pizza with the team or nervous first date with milkshakes. The Grand Concourse of Cloudsdale was the beating heart of the city, yet Soarin ignored the many boutiques, restaurants, cafés and market stalls as his eyes scanned for one particular establishment, one which had never let him down in his entire life.

The sign for Crusty Clouds appeared at the street corner before him, the rustic Prench style interior visible even from this far away. Soarin could practically taste the apple pies, carrot cakes and cinnamon buns in his nostrils as he landed, trotting like an excited little colt towards the front door.

As soon as the tiny bell tinkled to announce his presence, a much loved and familiar voice rang out from across the counter.

"Soarin! Mon garçon, 'ow lovely to see you again so soon! You are all out for the summer, yes?" Chèvrefeuille chimed merrily, waving her fat little forelegs in the air as she bumbled behind a wall of baked goods.

"Salut, Chèvrefeuille," Soarin beamed, his stomach already rumbling at the sight of his surroundings. He loved Crusty Clouds more than any establishment in Cloudsdale, and it was never empty. Around him, Soarin could see pegasi of all shapes and sizes sitting at round tables eating and enjoying every type of pastry imaginable. "Just a coffee today, if that's okay."

The pudgy mare raised and eyebrow as she smiled. "Ah, trying to cut down on the pies for your beau, are we?" They both chuckled, but Chèvrefeuille could sense that there was something else bothering her favourite customer. The timber of Soarin's normally upbeat voice lingered with her, and as Soarin took up his place at his usual table by the window, she sighed. Preparing the coffee diligently, just how he liked it, Chèvrefeuille waddled over.

"'Ere you go, mon chéri." Soarin looked at the mug of hot, steaming coffee and took it in his hooves. Yet before he could take one sip, Chèvrefeuille sat herself down opposite him. "I can't 'elp but notice that you are alone today on the last day of your school year, yes?"

Soarin's eyes darted uncomfortably back and forth as his friend questioned him. Unable to meet her gaze, he looked instead at his mug. "Y-Yeah, I guess. Thunderlane had other stuff to do today so it's no biggy."

"My Soarin, I do believe you are lying. What is your Thunderlane up to?"

"N-Nothing bad," Soarin spluttered, "he's just helping out a friend with a party. I might go and see him when it's all over, take him out to celebrate or something."

"If this is all it is, why are you looking so sad?" Chèvrefeuille asked, her thick Prench accent making Soarin smile regardless of his current mood. She always was a direct pony.

"It's nothing, really." Both ponies paused, both knowing that it wasn't over. "It's just that," Soarin continued, "he told me that he wasn't gonna be available today, but I completely forgot. I've just been so swept up in getting my Wonderbolt scholarship and my final exams that I just didn't remember him telling me. I feel kinda bad, I don't want him to think I'm not listening to him or anything, 'cause I'm not. Not everything sticks to my brain as much as other things do."

Chèvrefeuille smiled warmly and reached over the table, taking one of Soarin's hooves in her own. "Mon chéri, you 'ave got nothing to worry about. Thunderlane must 'ave been thinking the same things with your exams and work. I do not think he would think bad things about the way you forget little thing like this."

"It's not just the little things, Chèvrefeuille," Soarin said, crestfallen. "About a month ago it was his little brother's birthday and he asked me to go get some streamers and balloons in town the week before the party, and I completely forgot. I was too busy hanging out with Spitfire and the racing team. Thunder had to go himself on the day when I didn't turn up. I mean, I apologised and everything, but I still think he resents me a little for it. I do listen to him, Chèvrefeuille, I really do. But, I dunno." He sipped his coffee gingerly, wincing a little at the bitter taste. He stared out the window at the many ponies going about their lives, looking happy as they flit from shop to shop.

"If you think that there is a problem with the way you are, only you are the one to do something about it," Chèvrefeuille said sagely. "Talk to your Thunderlane and ask 'im if there is a problem between the two of you. La communication, c'est le biggest problem with you stallions," she chuckled,

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Of course I am, chéri. I am a mare, and much older than you." The pair laughed as soarin continued to drink his coffee.

"I guess I could ask him this weekend."

Chèvrefeuille's eyes lit up. "Oh my dear, do you think that is wise?"

Soarin's brow furrowed. "Um, why wouldn't it be?" The Prench mare's eyes widened even further.

"Soarin, you do know what day it is this Saturday, yes?" The uneasy silence that followed caused Chèvrefeuille to despair internally and Soarin to start sweating. "It's Hearts and 'Ooves Day, my boy! You can't ask him if there is a problème on Hearts and 'Ooves Day!" It took a moment for the words to sink into his brain, but the moment they did, Soarin's heart began to hammer in panic.

"Oh, sweet Celestia, how the hay did I forget that? It's Hearts and Hooves Day! Shit, oh shit, I haven't got anything planned! I haven't got Thunderlane a present, I haven't thought about what we're gonna do! Oh, horse-apples! Chèvrefeuille, what do I do!?" He stood up from his seat, knocking the table and spilling half his mug of coffee over the pristine white table cloth. The round pegasus mare gestured for him to sit down again, the sight of his flapping wings and frenzied face causing other ponies to turn and stare at them.

"First of all, you 'ave still two days until Saturday. Two days to sort out what plan you will 'ave for your handsome friend. When you get 'ome today, you start thinking of what he likes, the things he doesn't like, then you plan from there. Make a list, and then tomorrow you start planning and shopping."

"Can't I just bring him here?"

Chèvrefeuille snorted. "Oh, Soarin, I love you. But you and Thunderlane come 'ere every week. As much as I love to see you two, you must take 'im to somewhere special, somewhere romantique. Show 'im how much he means to you. That way you may get rid of any doubts you think you 'ave!"

Soarin sat there for a moment, breathing heavily as he tried to calm himself down. He was awful at planning things. Thunderlane called him 'featherbrain' all the time for forgetting things. How in Celestia's name was he supposed to do all this? How does anypony do this each year? Putting his head in his hooves, he finally managed to regain some of his composure.

"Okay, okay. I'll do that," he whispered to himself. Chèvrefeuille beamed.

"Fantastique, mon garçon. You will do a marvellous job, I am sure. Just remember to breathe and keep your 'ead screwed on, as they say in Trottingham. Make the day a special one."

Soarin nodded and finally looked up. "You're right," he said firmly. "I gotta show Thunder what a great coltfriend he's been to me. I gotta show him that I do care about him. I'm gonna show him how great a coltfriend I can be. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be fine." Swallowing the rest of his coffee in one big gulp, Soarin slammed the mug down, gave Chèvrefeuille a firm hug, and flipped a couple of coins into her tip jar as he flew out the door, a swift wind following in his wake.

Chèvrefeuille looked at the brown stain Soarin had left on the tablecloth and sighed heavily. Despite this, she still managed to crack a smile at the whole situation. As she went back behind the counter to find a clean cloth, she muttered to herself with a chuckle.

"Urrgh, des étalons."


Soarin raced through the streets of Cloudsdale like a blue, feathered lightning bolt, weaving expertly between startled ponies and lampposts as he made his way home. His bright green eyes watered, but he powered on through until he glimpsed the familiar signpost of his street, banking gracefully to the left, his feathers cutting through the wind. Enchanted trees lined his road, shading the young stallion from the blazing sun as he finally came to a stop at his front door, his hooves skidding a little on the cloud as he did so. Barrelling into the door, Soarin scrambled up the stairs to his room, not even heeding the sight of his confused father in the living room. Gale Force ruffled his feathers in fright as his son came bounding through the front door like a battering ram, spilling his tea and crunching up his newspaper as he turned to catch sight of Soarin's dark blue tail dash upstairs.

"For the love of Celestia, boy. What's gotten into you?" he yelled as the sounds of crashing sounded ominously from Soarin's room.

"Hey Dad!"

Gale Force stood up, brushing strands of his dark blue mane from his face, streaked with grey. If he were younger, he'd have been the exact doppelganger of his son, besides his thick rimmed glasses resting on his muzzle, covering his deep brown eyes. "Don't break anything else up there! Your mother and I are sick of replacing your lamps! Skyballs should be played outside and outside only!"

Soarin barely registered his father's words as he half fell into his room, tripping over said skyball as he made a beeline for his desk. He cursed loudly as the ball, reacting to his touch, started to rise quickly into the air, bouncing straight off the ceiling and onto the floor again. Soarin leaped to try and catch it, but his hooves only seized thin air. The white ball only continued to gain speed, and as Soarin went in for another attempt, it struck the ceiling again, denting the cloud as it came falling at breakneck speeds. The last thing Soarin saw was the sight of a white sphere flooding his field of vision before everything went black.

"Fucking Tartarus!"

"Language!" came a shrill reply from downstairs.

Soarin cupped his nose in his forehooves as the out of control skyball continued to bounce madly around the room. Fighting past the pain, Soarin leaped into the air, channelling his inner goalkeeper as he felt his forelegs wrap around its smooth surface. Giving the ball a firm smack with his hoof on the large yellow cross on its side, Soarin at last relaxed as it stopped moving, rolling harmlessly away under his bed. The world was spinning, the Wonderbolt posters on the walls seeming to melt and spiral into colourful messes as Soarin rubbed his nose tenderly, wincing at his own touch. Standing shakily to his hooves, the blue pegasus waddled over to his desk and let himself fall into his chair, which creaked ominously. Muttering more incoherent curses under his breath, Soarin took a quill and a sheet of parchment, writing in his alarmingly messy hoofwriting 'Thunder's Favourite Things' before underlining it roughly.

"Okay Soar, let's do this. Just gotta stay calm, and come up with the best Hearts and Hooves Day ever. Make this day special for Thunder." He scribbled a bullet point below the title and put a hood under his chin, pondering the things that Thunderlane loved most in his world. With a sudden, proud grin on his face, Soarin triumphantly wrote the word 'dick.' All joy and sense of accomplishment vanished from his face as soarin realised the vulgarity of what he'd just written. The day was meant to be for Thunderlane, not just sex. He hit his head with a forehoof.

"C'mon, you featherbrain, think! What have you done with Thunderlane these past months? What does he love?" Soarin kept straining his brain for another hour, writing and scribbling out ideas on his list until the sheet of paper of covered in rough, inky scratches. Seeing that none of his current ideas were any good, Soarin pulled out another piece of parchment, dipping his quill into his inkwell again, this time convincing himself that this time, he would succeed in coming up with something.

He didn't.

By the time Soarin had returned to his room from having dinner, the list of 'Thunder's Favourite Things remained empty. Except 'dick.' That single word stood proud and alone on Soarin's paper. As Soarin sat himself down at his desk, he threw his head in his forehooves.

"Sweet Celestia, what is wrong with me? Why can't I think of anything for Thunderlane? Oh Goddess, I'm the worst coltfriend in history!" Yet even as he muttered the words, a small spark flickered in Soarin's heart. It was a spark of rebellion, of defiance against his doubt. No, he was Soarin, the best flyer in his school, a young, handsome, strong stallion with the best coltfriend in history. And he wasn't going to let him down now. With a new wave of determination, Soarin channelled his mental faculties into passing through the depths of his fuzzy memory, committed to finding something that Thunderlane would love. With a wave of joy, Soarin widened his eyes and beamed. “Milkshakes!” he called aloud.

“What was that?” came Gale Force’s voice from downstairs. “Milkshakes? We haven’t had any milkshakes in the house since you got that scholarship! Can’t afford you getting fat, now!”

“Oh my Celestia, dad, shut up!”

He scribbled it down on the list before he forgot, feeling much better about himself for finally having something. Yet as he inspected his work, he heart fell to Earth again. “Dick milkshake,” Soarin muttered to himself. His ears fell flat against his mane as he threw down his quill in frustration. “Okay Soar, you’re not leaving this desk until you’ve thought of a plan for Thunder,” he said to himself, slapping a forehoof down on the table in conviction. The early evening light began to fill Soarin’s bedroom with shimmering golden glow, slowly fading as the night began to draw in.


Soarin moaned as the first rays of the morning sun tickled his nose. His mouth tasted of the energy drinks he’d had before he eventually dozed off, and his eyes felt crusty as he rubbed them open with his forehoof. Groggily, he sat up. He was still at his desk, an ink covered piece of paper stuck to his cheek as he struggled to comprehend his surroundings. Swatting the parchment away, the blue stallion spun his head round once he realised the time.

“Oh shit, oh shit, I gotta get something!” he spluttered, quickly picking up his updated list to see what magical ideas he had come up with. ‘Dick milkshake’ stood alone on the paper, spilled ink and smudged scribbles bordering it as if a pair of squids had had a dance battle on the parchment. Soarin banged his head on his desk.
“Fucking Tartarus! Why am I so bad at this?”

“Language!” came an outraged shout from downstairs.

“Oh my Celestia, dad, shut up!”

Stumbling out of his bedroom, Soarin made his way to the bathroom, towel in hoof as he chewed and moved his tongue around his mouth, wincing at the taste of stale energy drink and the feel of unbrushed teeth. Looking at himself in the mirror, the blue pegasus grimaced at the reflection staring back at him. His usually styled dark blue mane was a tangled mess of spikes and dishevelled swirls. His emerald eyes were rimmed with red, and worst of all, a great black smear ran across one side of his face.

“For Celestia’s sake...” Soarin muttered as he ran the tap, desperately scrubbing at the inky stain on his otherwise pristine coat. Yet his face soon turned to horror when he saw that the ink wasn’t budging, but was in fact getting worse. Every scrub rubbed the black stain in deeper, and Soarin’s controlled disposition soon vanished completely. His hoof strokes became frantic as he desperately scrubbed and scrubbed at the ink, squeezing copious amounts of soap into his hooves as he rubbed his face like a pony possessed. “Gaaaaaahh, come off, come off, come off! Holy shit, I don’t need this right now!” He started to panic. “Daaaaad? What type of ink does mum buy for me again?”

“Oh, you mean Ember Quill’s Finest? Yeah, she gets it from that store on Windweaver Way. Amazing value, it never fades away.”

Fucking Tartarus!

~***~

Soarin clutched his pathetic list tightly as he flew over the streets of Cloudsdale, his face downcast and sullen despite the glorious sunshine. It was coming up to midday, and despite having a fantastic breakfast of honeyed oats and waffles, Soarin still felt peckish. The familiar thunder boom of his stomach rumbled as he veered to his left, descending into the bustling cityscape to try and find something, anything, to get Thunderlane. As he landed, Soarin sighed at the sight of every store front decorated with a host of Hearts and Hooves paraphernalia. Red roses and pink hearts dotted each window, along with golden flowers of varying types. Stuffed animals of every shape and size sat next to cheesy boxes of chocolates and sugar dusted caramels, and it was then that a light-bulb lit up in Soarin’s head.

“Caramels! Thunderlane loves caramels!” he exclaimed to himself, bouncing on his hooves like a little colt as he leaped into the store. The door had barely shut before the blue stallion was stretched over the counter, gaining a terrified look from the shoppony. “Those! Gimme those right there, in the gold box thing!” Soarin’s wings were flapping madly, matching his foreleg as he practically smacked the air in gesturing to the sweets. The shop-pony, a small pink mare with a purple mane and ribbon cutie mark, slowly composed herself and wound around Soarin’s thrashing foreleg.

“Uh, which one exactly, sir? You’re kinda pointing at all of them...”

“The gold box! The gold one! The one with the red bow on it!”

The mare took the box from the window display, smiling a little as Soarin tapped his rear hooves excitedly on the floor. As she began taking out a roll of fancy wrapping paper, she looked up.

“So who is the lucky filly? She must be very lucky to have some pony as hands- oh my Celestia what happened to your face?”

Soarin suddenly stopped bouncing and blushed heavily, taking his hooves off the counter in embarrassment. “It’s err, nothing, just ignore it.”

“Were, were you punched?”

“What? No! No, absolutely not, it’s just err, ink. I fell asleep on some wet ink and it got like in my fur. No need to worry,” Soarin let out an uncharacteristic giggle.

“Well, as long as it wasn’t Ember Quill’s Finest, it should come out eventu-“

“Please just wrap the damn box,” Soarin said, planting a forehoof on his head in a vain attempt to try and hide the offending stain. The shop-pony stammered a little before returning to her task, completing the gift package with a little red bow. Pushing it across the counter, she cleared her throat, not daring to look at Soarin's ink stained face.

"That'll be thirty bits, please."

Soarin's heart dropped. "I'm sorry what?"

"Thirty bits in total. Twenty six for the caramels and four for the gift wrapping."

"I, err, that's a little bit more than what I was expecting," Soarin gulped, whipping out his bag of coins and looking fearfully inside. "Don't suppose you could give me a little discount, could ya? Help a poor colt out?" He swept a hoof through his mane and winked before giving the same dashing smile he'd used to win over colts and fillies the world over.

The shop-pony gave him a deadpanned "no."

***

Soarin left the shop with a golden wrapped box of caramels, and his small bag containing his last ten bits. The box under his wing seemed a lot heavier than it appeared to the young pegasus. What had he done? He couldn't get anything else for Thunderlane with ten measly bits!

"These better be the best damn caramels in the world," he muttered to himself angrily. Trotting hurriedly down the skylane, he looked forlornly at all the last minute gifts and presents mocking him in the windows. A golden metal rose glared at him, followed by a big manticore plushie, its toothy grin daring Soarin to try and buy it. There were scarves, hats, chocolates and novelties galore, all of which looked far better than the box of caramels. Would Thunderlane have liked any of these better? Had Soarin made a terrible mistake with the candy? With a frustrated groan, Soarin stopped walking and plopped himself down on the pavement, dropping the box in front of him and lifting his nose to the sky in exasperation.

BOOM

The first raindrop stung Soarin's forehead like a fire-wasp, and his angry eyes were greeted by the sight of a wall of towering, dark grey storm clouds. The torrent came down instantly. With a look of complete and total horror, Soarin watched the box of caramels in front of him.

"No-no-no-no-no! Sweet Celestia no!" he screamed to himself, the cardboard soaking in the rain like a flaky sponge. "Oh horseapples!" He lunged forwards, forehooves frantically trying to pick up and cover Thunderlane's gift. Yet all Soarin's hopes and dreams were dashed against the pavement as he watched the perfect packaging turn to mush in his hooves, tearing and ripping like the ashen petals of the wilted rose of his relationship's future. The caramels dropped onto the ground almost in slow motion, Soarin's green eyes watching them, registering them yet not computing the need to catch them in time. The rain continued to pour.

"Oh for fuck's sake," he wailed, falling flat on his haunches with an audible soggy splash. Soarin's styled mane was beginning to wilt fast, the navy blue strands sticking to his face. "How in Celestia's name can I be this bad?" He thought he could feel a small wave of tears forcing their way to the forefront, yet he pushed them down. This wasn't the time for moping around. He still had the caramels, even if they were soaked through, and he still had ten bits. Maybe I could get him a cinnamon roll or something, Soarin thought, but immediately shook his head. This was supposed to be the best date of Thunderlane's life, and no force in Equestria could stop Soarin from making that a reality. As lightning crackled across the sky, Soarin hastily began scooping up the caramels into his coin bag in the hopes of salvaging his investment. As he did so, a rumble big enough to rival the thunder roared from his stomach, and Soarin realised that in his haste to leave he had completely forgone breakfast. It was in this moment that Soarin saw a dilemma. He couldn't just not eat, he was a young athlete with a physique to maintain, and yet had only ten bits to his name, money already dedicated to the love of his life. With trembling hooves, Soarin looked at the pavement, and at the scattered caramels staring up at him.

"P-Please, forgive me..." Soarin muttered to nopony in particular, and with trembling hooves, reached for a caramel.

***

The rainstorm had passed, and Soarin found himself walking towards the Grand Concourse of Cloudsdale, his fur soaked through and his mane and tail disheveled and steaming as the sun broke through the clouds. Every so often he glanced guiltily at his coin bag tucked way under his wing, containing his ten bits and the last caramels, five survivors out of a box that once held twenty. Soarin gulped. What had he done? Bad enough that his gift had been destroyed by a freak storm, but eating Thunderlane's present? The blue stallion felt rotten, ashamed, and more than a little sorry for himself. Things were looking bleak, and the wet colt began to walk back towards his cloudhome. Maybe he could find some wise sage advice from his parents on what to do, although even the thought made Soarin blush in embarrassment. It was then that another, somewhat brighter light-bulb lit up in his head.

"Dad! Dad works at the weather factory!" With a giddy foal-like prance, Soarin flapped his wings and launched himself into the air, the wind drying him over as he sped towards the towering building above him. Rainbows reflected in his green eyes as he soared over the famous rainbow fountain for which the factory was known, the multicoloured plume of water rising into the air before falling to earth. Barrel-rolling beneath the brightly coloured arch it formed, Soarin landed hard on the cloudbank before the main entrance, skidding as he scrambled into the reception hall, panting and wheezing like a madpony, much to the terror of many a poor weather pony.

"Where's Gale Force!?" Soarin half-screamed, speeding off in a vague direction before anypony had the chance to respond. This new plan was too important to fail. Running through the corridors, Soarin frantically peered into every room he came across, calling for his father, who no doubt was busy doing his job. But a little thing like responsibility for all of Equestria's storm production wasn't going to stop this stallion. After barging into six empty offices, two meetings and a job interview, Soarin finally found himself on the main factory floor, the mighty cloud production machine whirring and hissing as he approached. The sound was deafening, but that didn't distract the young blue pony from his quest. Scaning the sea of busy ponies in hardhats, Soarin fluttered over the banisters and landed on the main floor, weaving expertly in and out of dozens of pegasi, all of whom giving him surprised and confused glances.

"Dad! Dad, over here! Soarin exclaimed, waving both forehooves in the air as a startled Gale Force turned around, his brow furrowing in confusion at the sight of his son in his workplace looking like he'd gone through an industrial sized blow dryer.

"S-Soarin? What are you doing here?"

"Dad I got a huge favour to ask and I don't have time to explain. But it's real important and I'll owe you like ten if you do. Please please please please pl-"

"Okay, okay! Breathe, son. But make it quick, you shouldn't be here during the day." Composing himself, Soarin began recounting the awful luck that had befallen him (conveniently missing out the part about eating three quarters of Thunderlane's gift.)

"But what I need you to do," the blue stallion said, gesturing towards his very confused looking father, "is to make sure at around twelve o'clock tomorrow that a huge double rainbow appears over the Sky Gardens, without any clouds or anything. Thunder really likes rainbows and I want to try and make tomorrow special." Soarin blushed a little at the last part, his heart heavy with guilt and expectation. Gale Force raised an eyebrow before smirking.

"I'll see what I can do."

"Oh thank you!" Soarin leapt into the air and let out a loud whoop as he did a victory lap around the main factory hall, much to the annoyance of all else present. "Dad, thank you so much! You've saved Hearts and Hooves Day!" Soarin gave his father a firm hug, his wings flapping in excitement. Gale Force could only smile.

"No problem, buddy. But you owe me big time for this. Maybe even think about tidying your room?"

"Not a chance in Tartarus, pops," said Soarin without any hesitation. The pair chuckled before Soarin, giving one final lap of the factory, sped out the building before security could come and escort him from the premises by force. After the blue colt had disappeared, Gale Force was met with a wave of angry glares from everypony around him.

"Heh, he's, err, he's a good kid...really."

Unfortunately for everypony, no one saw a small brown coin bag fall into a particularly important vent...


The sun rose, and with it, the big day. Soarin woke up groggily, a line of drool connecting his face and pillow as he fumbled around for his alarm clock, smacking a load of paper and random junk from his bedside table onto the floor. He groaned as the sunlight filtered in through his curtains, the sound of birds almost mocking him to wake up. The previous day had not been a particularly successful one, but Soarin had at least found the time to slip a small, inconspicuous note under Thunderlane's front door telling him of the day's plan. Forcing himself upright, the pegasus stretched out his forelegs and wings, rubbing his eyes as he hauled himself to his feet.

After trotting to the bathroom, Soarin let out a very fillyish squeal at his reflection. Ember Quill's Finest still marked his fur like a bruise, and no amount of scrubbing and cleaning could make a dent, even after a whole twenty four hours. He sighed heavily.

"Guess Thunder will have to look at my dreamy ass all day instead," said Soarin jokingly to himself. Soarin showered, taking extra care to make up for the complete lack of grooming yesterday, letting the steamy water cleanse him of the previous day's woes. His mane, feathers and tail all welcomed the feeling, and Soarin took extra care to wash behind his ears in the hopes that Thunderlane would nibble on them in that way he loved. The thought made the blue pony smile. After drying and styling his mane, Soarin made one final scan of the room to make sure everything was in order before grabbing breakfast. Today was going to be perfect, he was sure of it. Or at least as perfect as it could be.

"Hey Dad, is the rainbow thing definitely on?" he asked across the table, layering a plentiful helping of syrup on his pancakes. Gale Force, his face hidden behind the morning's paper, let out an affirmative grunt.

"Should be all set, buddy. Although the machine was making some strange noises after you left yesterday, but Windy Skies said she'd look into it. I wouldn't worry."

"Great! I told Thunderlane we'd go to the Sky Gardens first so we can start the day with the rainbows."

Gale Force smiled. "You're really going all out on this, huh?"

Soarin blushed. "Yeah, he's kinda worth it, I guess."

The pair of stallions laughed before Soarin gulped down his pancakes in what seemed like just two bites before he raced upstairs.

"Er, you gonna wash that up?" Gale Force yelled, gesturing at the empty plate. "By Celestia, who raised you?" he muttered, shaking his head. Meanwhile, Soarin's perfect day was already crumbling upstairs with a sudden, earth-shattering discovery, or rather, lack of discovery.

"Where is it, oh Celestia, where is it, where is it? What the fuck, what the fuck, where is it!?" Papers were suddenly airborne as the blue pegasus scattered everything that wasn't nailed down into the air. The coin bag, and with it the caramels, was nowhere to be found. Soarin's calm composure was out the Celestia-damned window, and a trail of colourful profanities were following the various items into the air as he hurled paper after ball after quill after inkpot from table to floor. His heart was hammering in his chest like a war drum, and Soarin froze as he realised that every flat service in his bedroom was bare, and still, the coin bag was gone. He could feel cold sweat beginning to form on his head and hooves as his breath came out in ragged gasps.

"Everything okay up there, buddy? You're gonna be late for the rainbow if you don't leave soon!" came Gale Force's voice from downstairs.

Soarin thought he was going to throw up. His hooves were shaking and his vision was blurry, but the sound of his father was like a flashlight in the fog. He focused, slowed his breathing like he did when he flew at breakneck speeds and thought about the one part of his plan that still stood ready. And more importantly, he imagined Thunderlane's smile.

"C-coming, Dad," he sighed. He'd have to think of something on the fly to say to him, but for know, he had to leave. It was the moment of truth, the eleventh hour, and Soarin was going in ready or not. Taking one last deep breath, the blue pegasus sped out his front door.


Thunderlane furrowed his brow as he looked at Soarin's note for the third time, his wing wrapped protectively over a small box wrapped in red and white paper. Soarin's hoofwriting was difficult to read at the best of times, but this was something else completely. Was it Prench? Germane? Some kind of ancient code? The words "bench," "midday" and what Thunderlane believed to say "Sky Gardens," after first reading "shy gorgens," were the only things that he could read with any confidence. And so here he sat, on a bench in Sky Gardens, the sun climbing to its zenith in the wide blue expanse above him. All around him, the charcoal grey pegasus could see couples walking and flying together, laughing, smiling, flirting and kissing, all of them enjoying the most romantic time of year. Nearly every other bench in the stunning Sky Gardens was occupied by a pair of ponies, nearly all pegasi, yet Thunderlane could see a few unicorns scattered amongst them, no doubt here to visit their significant other and armed with a cloud-walking spell. High above him were the majestic floating platforms which formed this most beautiful part of Cloudsdale, each one holding up a small forest of earthly trees and flowers, from which flowed great cascading waterfalls. Thunderlane had always loved the Sky Gardens, and hoped that he wasn't mistaken in his deciphering of Soarin's mysterious scribbles. Still, as the sun began to climb higher, he gripped the present he had prepared a little tighter.

Oh shit, there he is, thought Soarin as his keen eyes spotted a lone grey stallion from afar, sitting alone and looking adorably awkward as he fumbled with his forehooves. The blue pegasus took a deep breath, his heartbeat still going a thousand miles an hour. You just gotta make what you got special, he'll understand. With fear in his chest, Soarin fluttered over to his coltfriend. Thunderlane's eyes lit up when he saw Soarin approach.

"Well hey, stranger. Took you long en- oh my Celestia what happened to your face!?"

"Oh it's nothing really. Just a little accident."Thunderlane frowned a little but shook it off.

"Were, were you punched?"

"NO SWEET CELESTIA I WASN'T PUNCHED" Soarin blurted out before holding a hoof to huis mouth. "S-Sorry Thunder, it's just been a hectic couple of days."

The grey pony raised an eyebrow, clearly still concerned at the great grey smudge covering a full half of Soarin's face, but he gave a shrug and continued. "So, I err, got your note yesterday. Gotta admit, it was very mysterious of you to just slip it under the door like that. Very dramatic."

"Heh, you know me, always the showpony, heh..." Soarin couldn't look him in the eyes and scratched the back of his mane feverishly as he spoke. Thunderlane wasn't stupid, and Soarin knew that he knew that something wasn't right, but he also knew that Thunder wouldn't dare say anything until the last possible minute.

"So, I got you something," said Thunderlane quickly, trying to diffuse the unusually tense atmosphere between the two. He blushed as he revealed the little wrapped box, handing it to Soarin excitedly as his face broke into a smile that somepony makes when they can't hold it in anymore. Soarin's heart dropped like a stone as he took it in his hooves.

"T-Thank you, Thunder, you really shouldn't have," he stammered, sitting down next to his coltfriend on the bench as his trembling hooves began to unwrap the bright packaging. Despite his guilt and shame, Soarin couldn't help but burst out in a big goofy grin. "Chocolate covered strawberries?"

"I know they're your favourite. Remember that time at Blossomforth's party when she had the chocolate fountain? I saw you steal that strawberry bowl and sneak away with the fountain in your hooves. You had chocolate stains all around your mouth." The pair laughed at the memory, Soarin finally looking up and meeting his coltfriend's gaze. Those big amber rims were so beautiful in the midday sun, and Soarin reached out and gave Thunderlane a sweet kiss on his cheek before hugging him fiercely.

"I don't deserve you."

"Everypony knows that, but I stick with you out of pity, so..."

Soarin laughed, but felt his heart drop for what seemed like the hundredth time that day as Thunderlane saw Soarin's empty hooves.

"So, err, what'd you get me?" he asked only half jokingly. Soarin put his hooves to his face and sighed.

"Okay, you're just gonna have to bear with me. I did get you something, but it's not quite ready yet. Give it another..." he looked at the sky and waved his hoof around vaguely. "Another minute? C'mon, you'll wanna see this." He took Thunderlane's hoof in his own and began to fly, the chocolate strawberries clutched under his free foreleg. The pair of ponies fluttered up towards one of the highest of the Sky Garden platforms, where a massive oak tree stood above a pond, magically placed and tended. Thunderlane gasped as he and Soarin landed below its expansive branches. The city of Cloudsdale sprawled out below them like a map, the hundreds of cloud-built spires and towers lancing toward the sky, separated by the many skylanes and avenues lined with magically growing trees and sculpted lamp posts. The view was absolutely breathtaking.

"Wow...Soar, this is amazing..."

"And this isn't even the present, hehe..." Soarin replied nervously, his eyes darting towards the weather factory looming in the distance. "Okay, okay sit here and keep your eyes on the weather factory."

"Why? What did you do...?"

"Just trust me. I know you'll love it."

The pair of stallions sat together, Thunderlane taking Soarin's hoof in his own and smiling. The birds around them sang merrily as the sounds of Cloudsdale rose to meet the two pegasi. Soarin's gaze was flitting between Thunderlane's expression and the building in the distance, tiny beads of sweat beginning to form as nothing seemed to be happening. C'mon Dad, my thought nervously, pull through for me.

A great BOOM sounded in the distance.

"...What was that...?" Thunderlane asked, his voice rising in worry as a single black column of smoke began to slowly snake upwards from the weather factory. Soarin's heart dropped for the final time.

"No no no no no no no no no! Sweet Celestia, what's happening?"

The smoke continued to rise, getting thicker and thicker, until...

BANG!