• Published 17th Jun 2018
  • 2,871 Views, 63 Comments

Frailty - Phoenix Nebula



Twilight is given the biggest responsibility any pony can have.

  • ...
9
 63
 2,871

The Queen of Ponykind

Author's Note:

*Important!* I highly suggest you turn your settings to nighttime mode because some of the text is in yellow, and very difficult read in normal mode.


I wrote this in 5 hours so if it feels rushed then that is why, it has been edited, however, so that's good!


If you want a sequel help this story reach 50 likes by sharing and liking!

Her hooves beat upon the marble floors of Canterlot castle. Her mane and tail flowing behind her from the speed at which she was running. She weaved her way through the halls as her destination grew closer. A large set of double doors came into view and she increased her pace. Channeling magic into her horn, the mare sent a telekinetic wave out of it and to the double doors, throwing them open. She skidded to a halt in front of the throne which her fellow princesses’ waited.

“I came as quickly as I could!” Twilight asked frantically. “ Is something wrong? Is it Tirek?” Upon her entry into the throne room, Celestia stood up and stepped forward.

“I’m afraid I put too much trust in Discord and the effect that friendship would have upon him,” Celestia stated. Luna also stepped forward alongside her sister and addressed the youngest alicorn.

“Discord has betrayed the ponies of Equestria and joined forces with Tirek,” the lunar mare explained. Twilight was shocked by this information.

“How could he do this?!” the lavender alicorn questioned in frustration,”I thought our friendship meant something to him, I thought he had changed!” she slammed her right hoof onto the floor in anger.

“Tirek has stolen enough unicorn magic that he now has the strength to steal pegasus magic as well,” Celestia explained further. Twilight gasped at this, thinking of her rainbow maned friend not being able to fly. “Without pegasi to control the weather, there will be no rain in Equestria,” before Twilight could respond the eldest alicorn continued, “there is word that he has gone after earth ponies as well, without their strength they will not be able to tend the land,” she concluded.

“Ponies will no longer be in control of their world,” Luna began, “that power will belong solely to Tirek.”

“There is no doubt that Tirek is after Alicorn magic. With Discord by his side we will not be able to stop him from taking it,” Celestia said solemnly.

“Once it is in his possession, his power will know no bounds, and all hope will be lost.”

“There is, however, one solution, one which I had hoped we wouldn’t have to resort to until you were ready, my dear student.” The three elder alicorns spread their wings and descended to the floor which the youngest stood. “It’s a great sacrifice that I fear must be done, to ensure that Equestria and the lands beyond this can be saved,” Celestia said, with a solemn expression. Twilight could see a tear roll down her teacher’s cheek, she had never seen her like this, it scared her a little. What could this sacrifice be that would make Celestia cry and what did she mean by when I would be ready? Ready for what? Celestia spoke again.” We must sacrifice our bodies and magic before Tirek can take it from us.”

“W-what!? You mean… I’ll... we’ll...” She didn’t want to say it. “... die?” She croaked out. Luna shook her head.

“No, you misunderstand, you won't give up your body and magic. The three of us have to make that sacrifice,” she said gesturing to herself as well as her sister and niece. “You must be the one to wield our magic.” Twilight stepped back in response to this. Seeing her student's hesitation Celestia sighed and stepped forward.

“I haven't been truly honest with you my student, I didn’t just teach you so you could save my sister, but I was also training you for a moment like this. I knew that someday you would have to inherit our magic, I just didn’t realize it would have to be so soon though.”

“B-but why me?” The lavender mare said, on the verge of tears. Cadance stepped forward and gave her sister-in-law a hug.

“Because Twilight, you are the embodiment of magic, you are the only one who can do this. It is your destiny,” she said trying to reassure the younger mare. Tears were now flowing freely from Twilights eyes.

“I-I’ll never… s-see you again…” She wept. Luna stepped forward and sat down in front of the lavender pony.

“Not entirely,” the lunar mare said, resting a hoof on the mare’s shoulder. “Our bodies will be gone, but our spirits will remain with you. We will continue to guide you and help you in the future,” she said reassuringly and pulled the younger mare into a firm hug. Twilight cried into her shoulder, Celestia too, stepped forward and joined the group hug.

“I’m sorry my faithful student, but I fear that your time for graduation is near,” the alabaster mare said. “I know you will do us all proud, but this must be done,” she concluded as she retracted the hug and stepped back, along with the other two eldest princesses.

‘I… understand,” Twilight said, raising her hooves to wipe away the last of her tears. “I promise I won't let you or the world down,” she said, but her voice still quivered with fear and uncertainty. She turned to her sister-in-law, “does shining know?”

“Yes… I explained what would have to happen, he understands that I must do this,” She explained. Twilight nodded sadly. Looking at her fellow princesses she sighed.

“I’m ready,” she said. “No I’m not but I have to do this, for my friends, for Equestria… for the world.”

“Be strong, Twilight, and remember…” Celestia began as she channeled magic into her horn. “… we will always be with you,” she concluded.


Magic shot forth from the horns of the three and coalesced into a sphere above Twilight’s head. As the sphere grew larger she saw her fellow princesses begin to fade out of existence. A single tear ran down her cheek as they completely vanished and the sphere of magic descended upon her.


Twilight…

Wake up twilight…

You must hurry before Tirek grows more powerful.

Her eyes shot open, standing up quickly she looked around. Her memories came back to her rapidly, tears began to brim at the corners of her eyes. Without thinking she ran out of the room and out of the castle. She was faster… why was she faster? Why did everything look smaller? She couldn’t dwell on it, her mind was chaotic and a torrent of emotions.

Twilight… calm down it’s okay…

“Celestia?”

Yes twilight, we told you we would still be with you.

“P-please don’t leave.”

We won’t Twilight, we will be with you as long as you have our magic.

A small smile donned on her muzzle as a comforting feeling welled up in her chest. Spreading her wings Twilight took to the sky. She rocketed up at speeds she had never thought possible. Facing towards Ponyville, she rocketed forward at the same ludicrous speed.

We must find Tirek and stop him before he does anymore damage.

Agreed. Focus Twilight I know all this new power may be jarring, but you must remain focused until you have become more accustomed to it.

She could only nod at the words of the disembodied voices of her fellow princesses.

“I need to warn my friends first.”

Good idea, tell them to help others get to safety as well as find refuge themselves.

Again Twilight nodded before landing with an earth-shattering impact just outside Ponyville. It didn’t take long for her to find her friends. Quickly she informed them as best as she could in her frantic and hurried state, and promised to answer their questions later. Taking off immediately the now single alicorn began her search for the magic-stealing demon, and ending his reign of terror.


Twelve hours. She had been searching for Tirek and Discord for twelve hours and still could not find them. She had already set the sun and raised the moon by this point, and soon would have to do the reverse.

“Where could they be?”

Discord is obviously behind it, only he would have the skill and ability to cover their tracks like this.

Yes, I suggest you head back to Ponyville to ensure that your friends are safe.

Hurry though, every second that passes is a second we give Tirek a bigger advantage.

She did as they suggested and made a sharp turn, as she angled herself towards the place she had called home for the last four years. When she approached, she gasped in horror, as she witnessed the magic sucked out of her friends and Discord falling to the same fate. Rage filled her body and she gritted. She pumped her wings violently, a mach cone began to form in front of her.

Remember Twilight you are not alone, we won't leave you.

It’s time to show the world your power my friend.

You can do this twilight we believe in you.

Don’t let him get to you Twilight.

Your magic is stronger now, he will try to get into your head, don’t let him.

Whatever barriers you put up to limit yourself, you must break down if you hope to win this.

The mach cone shattered around her as she breached the sound barrier. A shock wave of magic shot out in all directions at the point where she breached. The centaur only had enough time to turn in the direction of the sound before the lavender alicorn slammed into him, sending him careening almost a kilometer away. He landed with a thunderous boom that shook the ground for kilometers in all directions. The sound of another impact rang out as a lavender alicorn landed not far from where the centaur lay. With a grunt, the demon rose back to his hooves.

“Give up Tirek, you can't win, leave now and return the magic you stole, and I’ll spare you!” she demanded. Despite the situation, she would still try to make peace first. Instead of responding with words, however, he charged his magic and fired a beam to silence the mare. Upon impact, a plume of dust kicked up shrouding the area where the mare just stood. When the dust cleared he was shocked to find his opponent still standing and a magical aura surrounding her body. It was worth a try.

With a spread of her wings, and a mighty flap she shot forward. Tirek only partially evaded her attack, a stream of blood poured from his shoulder before he clasped it with his other hand. He barely had enough time to react as she came back around and charged him again. As he charged his magic, an evil orange aura surrounded the hand of his uninjured arm. Once she came close, he seized his opportunity and batted her aside, sending her careening into a nearby mountain. The entire mountain crumbled under the force of the impact.

When the dust settled, the centaur gritted his teeth in frustration. The mare was scuffed up, but unharmed. The barrier surrounding her dispersed and she got to her hooves. She looked directly at the evil creature before her. For the first time in his life, Tirek felt almost… afraid. What was this power? With a flap of her wings she began to rise up, the small pang of fear soon turned to full-blown terror at what the centaur witnessed next.

A feeling entered the mare… a warmth filled her chest. What is this feeling? She could feel them within her. Celestia, Luna, and Cadance; they were all with her, in her soul and in her being. They were a part of her now, she was not alone.

The moon, which had just been set a few hours earlier, soon peaked over the horizon to join the sun. The two celestial bodies hung side by side, with the lavender princess between them. A pink light began radiating out from the two heavenly bodies. Magic began to charge around the mares horn. First, it was a dark blue aura but was soon joined by a yellow aura then a pink one. The magic soon began to swirl around her body faster and faster. The swirling magic grew tighter and closer together before a flash of light temporarily blinded all that observed. When Tirek’s vision cleared he balked at what he saw. The mare’s horn was no longer surrounded by a translucent magic aura but instead was surrounded in an opaque, solid, dark purple. The rest of her body seemed to be vibrating with the amount of magic she was channeling.

Before he could even fully process what was happening, the magic stealer found himself being attacked so rapidly it was like there were multiple ponies attacking him. His bones began to buckle and crack from the ferocity of the strikes. He attempted to retaliate by firing magic wildly in an attempt to create an opening, but it was useless, the mare either evaded it or blocked it with her own magic, all without losing pace. He was soon down on his knees, every limb bleeding profusely. More and deeper cuts formed all over his body. Rage filled his every sense as he desperately tried to fight off the strike from the empowered mare. What is this power?! This is more than just the power of four alicorns! It feels like magic itself is attacking me. He fell to his hands and knees, he couldn’t stand anymore.

To his surprise and relief the attacks stopped, but when he looked up his relief was soon replaced by terror. The alicorn was climbing higher and higher at an ever-increasing speed. The only indication it was her was the immense amount of thaumic energy radiating off her, making her shine like a star in the night sky. She stopped climbing and turned about. She began to dive, right toward Tirek. Seeing this he attempted to move, but his legs did not respond, they were broken. Looking back up he charged his magic and fired a beam of energy at her, it did nothing as if she had just absorbed it. Again and again, the centaur attempted to stop the mare’s attack, but it was all for not. She smashed through the sound barrier with ease and energy flowed around the alicorn so intense, it outshined the sun itself.
Another feeling entered her… it wasn’t in her but around her in all directions, far and near. Despite mostly having no magic left, she could feel them, ponies, no her ponies. They were all suffering without their magic, they cried for her to help them, to save them. Her ponies, her friends, the princesses; she could feel all of them, they were putting all their hope and faith in her. She could not, no, she would not let them down. They were all counting on her, she would not lose, for she was their princess, no, she was more than that now, she was the only alicorn left, she was their queen, and she would do whatever it took to remove this threat; and remove it she did.

Her body and magic slammed into the demon, between his horns, sending out a shockwave of thaumic energy so intense it bathed the world in its light. Tirek was vaporized upon impact, and all his stolen magic was released back to its owners. Twilight smiled before the world went black around her.


Twilight...wake… up you did it!

Tirek is dead, you have won!

Everypony has their magic back!

She groaned in discomfort.

“I.. wha..?” she mumbled out.

TWILIGHT!” six worried voices called out, followed by the sound of hoofsteps. Opening her blurry eyes, Twilight looked up to see her friends running up to her. Slowly she rolled over onto her stomach and tucked her legs under her. She attempted to stand up, but they were numb and did not respond. She groaned again, in frustration this time. Looking back up, her friends had finally reached her, many of them with their mouths ajar. They were… shorter… again why does everything feel so much smaller?

“Oh, my! Are you okay?” Fluttershy asked, with mild panic in her voice looking at how scuffed up her friend was.

“That was awesome!” Rainbow Dash squealed grabbing Twilight's shoulders and shaking her wildly.

“Dash, stop she’s hurt!” Fluttershy scolded. The prismatic mare chuckled nervously as she backed away.

“Sorry Twi,” Dash apologized. The lavender mare shook her head to clear her mind.

“It’s okay Dash, I’ll be fine,” she said as she went to stand again, but almost collapsed if not for a certain orange farm mare propping her up. Twilight had to look down to see her friends… did I grow?

It happened when we gave you our magic. Your body changed to better accommodate the increase of magic. You are as tall as me now.

No doubt you are the embodiment of magic, if any of us had that much power in us, we would be at least three times my height.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your mane become ethereal like Aunti’s

“Goodness dear, despite your scuffs you look gorgeous!” Rarity praised.

“Yay! Twilight is bigger now! I can't wait to throw a ‘you grew taller, and beat Tirek’ party!” Pinkie Pie squealed, excitedly throwing confetti about in all directions. Twilight smiled at her friend’s antics.

“Um, Twi, if y’all don’t mind me askin’; why are ya taller, where did ya get all that magic, and where are the other princesses?” AJ asked. Twilight’s smile fell at the question.

“I’ll…. Tell you later…. We need to get to Canterlot and gather everypony there, I have to make an announcement,” she said, and began to limp forward. Her friends looked at each other with worried expressions, but nodded, whatever it was it had to be important, and they didn’t want to stop her.

Acting quickly, her friends spread the word that Princess Twilight had an announcement to make. Several hours later, the lavender alicorn was making her way to the balcony overlooking Canterlot. Once she stepped out onto it, the gathered ponies below gasped when they saw her limping and all scratched up. Looking across the crowd at her ponies, she smiled slightly knowing that they were all safe.

Focus your internal magic on your vocal chords, it will allow you to use the Royal Canterlot voice.

Nodding once, Twilight cleared her voice and did as she was instructed.

“I am here today to inform you that I have successfully defeated Tirek, however at a great loss.” She took a pause to steal herself. “ I regret to inform you that Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadance are no longer with us.” The crowd of ponies gasped. “In a last attempt to stop Tirek, my fellow princesses gave up their magic to me and their bodies were destroyed in the process.” A few tears slid down her cheek and onto the marble below her. “I am the last remaining alicorn in Equestria, however, if you all wish, I will abdicate my throne if you do not wish for me to rule you anymore,” she finished sadly. As much as she wished to protect her little ponies, she could not force her rule upon them, and they would hate her. She began to turn away when a voice rang out.

“Queen!” the voice cheered. Turning around, other ponies soon did the same.

“QUEEN TWILIGHT!” They cheered. Soon, more and more ponies joined and some even bowed to her. Tears of happiness began to pour from her eyes. Th-they really want me to be their queen? Not just princess, but their queen!?

Of course, Twilight, you saved them! They love you for all you have done for them. I couldn’t be more proud.

As am I!

Oh Twilight you are going to accomplish great things!

“Thank you, my little ponies! I promise I will do my best as your new queen, and ensure the stability and future of our land!” she declared, electing more cheers from the ponies below. Turning around she was tackled by her five friends and number one assistant into a big hug. She gladly returned it, her cheeks a waterfall of tears. “Thank you, all of you, without you all I wouldn't be standing here today!” She hugged them tighter.

“Twilight Sparkle,” a sad voice spoke. Looking up she saw the spirit of chaos, looking... ashamed? “Tirek tricked me into believing he could offer me something more valuable than friendship, but there is nothing worth more, I see that now,” he said, grabbing the medallion hanging from his neck. “He lied when he said this medallion was given as a sign of gratitude and loyalty, but when I say it is a sign of our true friendship...” He took off the medallion and placed it around the alicorns neck. “... I am telling the truth,” he finished, before looking away ashamed. The medallion shimmered with a rainbow light. That’s the key! I can finally unlock the box. A smile graced her lips, she reached out with her magic and pulled the draconequus into the hug, he accepted it humbly.

Despite her future being unknown, Twilight would tackle it fearlessly, with her friends by her side, and her ponies right behind her every step of the way. She knew her future would be bright, and full of friendship, as the Queen of Ponykind.