• Published 14th Jun 2018
  • 10,631 Views, 657 Comments

The Face of Magic - Carapace



Tensions between two races have forced the Seekers' hoof. From the depths of their secret library fortress hidden within the Rolling Thunder Mountains, they send to represent their interests as diplomat and Bearer of Magic Princess Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
24
 657
 10,631

4. The Paca Prime Minister

None could best a changeling in maintaining a mask.

It was a game they’d perfected, an art which had been crafted and honed over generations upon generations of changelings all the way back to the days their forefathers spent dancing in the faerie circles deep in the heart of Emerald Isle’s Eternal Forest. From birth, instinct and careful instruction by parents, teachers, and mentors helped them perfect the art long before they even began to take seriously their natural talent for shapeshifting.

When out in the world, the slightest tell in one’s expression could make adifference. Just a hint of something out of the norm could be the difference between a nice, leisurely day out to market amongst a crowd of unknowing pony friends, or a nightmarish hell where all those smiling pony faces twisted into disgust and hatred as their true faces were revealed.

So some of the senior mentors and researchers in their dusty purple robes might balk at how shamelessly Twilight Sparkle grinned and showed her teeth at the scene before her.

Or, more aptly, at the representative of their old friends, the alpacas, as she greeted Twilight and her entourage.

Eyes as bright blue as the sky and wide as dinner plates flitted about, shining with excitement and unbridled joy. Her sunny golden wool bristled with pent up energy, her entire body shaking as she grinned and gave voice to her delight in a little squee which built within her chest and grew into a shrill squeal. Rearing up, Paprika, Prime Minister of the Paca Plains Herd, flapped her forelegs with such vigor they became a blur and bounced in place.

“Mis amigos, it has been so long! La Reina del Sol smiles upon my village once more!” she cried, bounding forward to catch Silín and one of her disguised Black Helmets in a carapace-cracking embrace as she babbled at a mile a minute.

Naturally, she’d managed to snag the Black Helmet most vehemently against her antics.

“Hello again, Prime Minister Paprika,” Silín Labhrais greeted with a fond smile and bow of her head. “Good to see you as well.”

“Silly Silí, you never listen!” Paprika nosed and nuzzled her friend, giggling all the while. “How many times do I have to tell you silly, tricky-trick-tricksters not to call me Prime Minister?”

Silín, for her part, feigned innocence. Her eyes glinted with wicked delight. “I’m not sure I understand, Prime Minister Paprika. Could you explain more in depth?”

The three remaining Black Helmets’ smiles strained so much Twilight had to withhold a snicker as Paprika let out a gasp and launched into a rapid-fire, detailed history of their races’ friendship.

Which, inevitably, would lead to that between Silín and Paprika themselves.

It was like she knew, like there was some supernatural sense that tickled the back of her fluffy, alpaca head to latch on and smile brightest at those most stubborn.

Actually, the Princess of the Seekers wouldn’t doubt it for a second. The Paca Plains Herd had always had that sort of inexplicable sense for the world around them.

With a sound somewhere between a squeal and a hum, Paprika opened those bright blue eyes to beam at the rest of Twilight’s entourage. But then, her gaze fell upon Twilight herself.

That energy vibrating seemingly at the end of her wool spread to the entirety of her body. Paprika released Silín and the grumbling Black Helmet so she could look Twilight up and down as if to take in even the slightest changes, disguise or not. Though it had been some time since Paprika had seen Silín Labhrais, It had been twice as long since Twilight had the chance to see her old friend.

In the company of the Paca Plains Herd, safety and friendship were certain. Letting them see the true face of a Seeker was as a gesture as old as that of an alpaca’s flapping limbs.

Twilight Sparkle stepped forward and let her disguise fall, washed away by changeling fire to let her lovely carapace be bared beneath the sun’s warmth once again. Both a gesture of faith and friendship and signal for her guards to follow her example.

This time, Paprika didn’t flap. Instead, she drew in a sharp breath and filled her cheeks until they looked fit to burst. With a little fwomp!, her wool billowed and expanded until she looked like a little yellow cloud with legs. Such a gesture was reserved for the closest friends and loved ones of the Paca Plains Herd. Thus, they and those so fortunate to hold that place in their hearts called it …

“Pelusa de amistad!” she cried as she leapt upon Twilight and caught her in a tight embrace, nuzzling and nosing all the while.

Friendship fluff.

Twilight could only chitter her mirth and wrap her hooves around her friend’s waist. “Hello, Paprika.” With a fond smile, she returned the nuzzles. “How’ve you been?”

“Well, but even better now!” Paprika drew back to hold her at foreleg’s length, her broad grin utterly infectious. “Papa was sick in the spring, because he was silly and decided to try to talk a walk around the plains in midwinter—at his age!”

“I recall hearing in your letter. Did the medicine dad sent help?”

“Almost as soon as he took it! He was bouncing and flapping like he was thirty years younger! Even if mama scolded him and told him to take it easy or his coat would lose its fluff!”

Good. If Jalapeño passed, Eolas would’ve been distraught. That old alpaca was one of the few remaining friends her father had aside from those in the hive and the Sisters. The fact that Habanera was still healthy and hardy enough to keep him in line would certainly bring a smile to her mother’s face as well.

Twilight gave her friend an affectionate lick to her nose, then released her embrace so she could set all four hooves upon the ground. She bowed her head and said, “Thank you again for accompanying us through the plains on our way to the border. The hive is a bit uneasy with this whole idea.”

“I heard.” Paprika’s smile faded. Fixing Twilight with a piercing gaze, she cocked her head to one side. “You’re taking a very big risk, mi amiga. Mama and papa both asked that I at least tell you we think you might want to reconsider.”

Of course they would. But Twilight had already made up her mind. “I can’t. Celestia and Luna called, you know the deal mom made.”

“To help when called, sí.” Her friend’s grip tightened. “But you do not live as close to their borders as we, Twilight. The whispers coming from the ponies, even some in the town guard, are worrying.”

The Princess of the Seekers drew in a deep breath through her nose and closed her eyes as she held it in her chest. She’d known, deep down, this was coming.

But that didn’t do away with the shot of pain it sent through her chest.

“I know, Paprika,” she said softly. “But this is the best thing I could come up with that wouldn’t make them fear us more.” This way, hopefully, we can get past the initial fear more quickly than if I show up in disguise and reveal myself midway through talks.

Paprika offered a rueful smile. “Sí, yo sé. But you know I had to try, at least a little. Either way, I am happy to guide you to the Hi-ho Hills.”

“Of course. I understand.” Another affectionate lick chased away any discomfort and spurred a smattering of giggles from the alpaca’s fluffy chest. Giving a small smile, Twilight decided to let the conversation steer toward its natural destination. “Would you like to get moving now, or do you want—”

“Quesadillas!” Quick as a flash, the alpaca reached into her voluminous fluff and retrieved several plates, cheeses, corn, red beans, and flour tortillas. Her grin nearly split her face.

Twilight glanced over her shoulder. A hopeful smile tugged at her lips. “Silín?”

“We have time,” the Captain of the Black Helmets replied, her fond smile spread into a grin of her own. “I accounted for it.”

A high-pitched squeal of delight was all the warning Twilight had before she was caught in another embrace and tugged over to where Paprika had set up a makeshift fire pit.


Truth be told, Twilight wasn’t so sure any in her party would’ve put much insistence against dining with Paprika had it been an impromptu addition to their little journey. Even the most grumbly of her guards was happy to sit and enjoy alpacan delicacies.

Though not so much that he’d join her for a song.

“Prime Minister, please!” he groaned as he tried to escape her embrace. “There is a line! I draw it at song routines!”

Naturally, Paprika was happy to sing with extra gusto to make up for the lack of participation from the frowning, disguised guard under her foreleg as they walked. Any such attempt he made to slip away or meet his fellows’ eyes to send a pleading look for relief was returned with a wicked grin and mocking waggle of false pony ears.

Poor Conium should’ve known better, Twilight mused, quickly turning away before she could be caught and expected to help, and hid a smile. He signed himself away the moment he complained about Paprika’s flapping.

From there, it was onward through the vast Paca Plains with the Hi-ho Hills looming in the distance. Through that tall grass which waved and swayed lazily in the breeze, a sedate journey, if one could ignore the need for the Paca Plains Herd’s incomprehensible sense for danger to avoid that lurking in the weeds.

“Silí, step left!” Paprika cried suddenly. “There’s a rattlesnake taking his afternoon nap that way!”

Silín and her guards dutifully took a big step to her left. “Thanks.” She glanced down the path she’d been ready to take with a little chuckle. “Probably be about ready to bite someone who stepped on me in the middle of a nap, myself.”

“I’d prefer fluffing at them!” The alpaca beamed and skipped on ahead, still humming and tugging her unfortunate companion along. “Much nicer than biting!”

“Paprika, please.”

Twilight was careful to keep in line with her alpaca friend all the way. Any jumps or skips away from a slithering snake or hidden mole tunnel Paprika took, she was sure to follow—the Princess of the Seekers knew there was no better guide around.

Still, there was a sense of trepidation that only grew with each step they took, each closer to Equestria. A feeling, Twilight had to admit, filled her heart with a sense of sadness.

Such nerves at visiting her home away from Halla Eolais hadn’t afflicted her since that first trip with Cadence and Shining Armor.

A pang shot through her chest. Being unsure at how ponies might respond to her face and how her friends might receive her after Chrysalis’s attempt on their lives, what a blade to hang over her head.

One Twilight didn’t want to face without at least knowing what Paprika had heard.

As soon as they were out of the tall grass, she quickened her pace and sidled up to Paprika. “Do you mind if I bother you about something that’s been on my mind?” Twilight asked softly. “I’d like to kind of pick your brain a bit.”

Paprika turned to fix her with a quizzical look. “Amiga, please. Why would you want to pick my brain? You already have a pretty big one!” She paused a beat, adding, “Also, you shouldn’t keep things on your mind. Those are fragile.”

“I walked right into that,” Twilight deadpanned.

“You did!” The alpaca beamed. “But jokes aside, what did you have to ask?”

Her hidden gossamer wings itched to buzz a nervous trill. “You mentioned earlier that you’ve been hearing things from ponies near the border.” At Paprika’s nod, she continued, “What sort of—ah—things have you heard? I’ve heard a couple summations from Princess Celestia’s letter, but since you and your herd are around the average traveler a bit more …”

Comprehension flitted across Paprika’s features. “You’re hoping what La Reina said is not as bleak as that felt by common ponies?”

Twilight nodded once.

To her dismay, there was no bubbling laugh or wave of a cloven hoof to allay her worry. Instead, sunny yellow ears drooped as Paprika’s wool lost its fluff. “I’m sorry, Twilight,” she whispered. Her gaze fell to the trodden path. “I would love to tell you otherwise, but I hear some of the guards at the border towns talking about … well, what they think should be done. Their ideas are … muy duro. I heard some want there to be a forced registry. Others, well, a common theme was round you all up and either stick you in prison or drop you off outside the border. Never mind where.”

The princess winced. The registry alone would be enough to send any of her kin abroad into a panic, not to mention those from other hives. Rounding them all up and just shipping them out of the country without a care from where they came and in which hive’s territory they were left?

It wouldn’t be long before a few might start to get ideas on how to try and dissuade ponies from that line of thinking, only worsening the problem in the long term.

Fantastic work, Chrysalis. When I said I loved your flair for the dramatic, I didn’t mean it quite like this.

All in all, not good. If anything, walking without care could take them down a path which led straight to catastrophe.

A sobering thought which haunted her until they finally reached the Hi-ho Hills and said their goodbyes. The tight, tearful embrace Paprika held her in only served a stark reminder at the gravity of her mission and unprecedented choice she’d made.

Twilight let her disguise melt away in a flash of changeling fire as she crossed over the border and whispered those old words Celestia so playfully intoned whenever they played their late night games:

“And now, the die is cast.”

Author's Note:

Paca paca, Jockepaca.