• Published 19th Jun 2018
  • 401 Views, 0 Comments

The Stable - A Thaumaturgical Backstory - StableElement



Nearly all phenomena in Equestria are explained by "Magic" but what explains magic? This backstory follows the rise and fall of SCIENCE in Equestria and the stories it developed along the way.

  • ...
 0
 401

Chapter three - Acquiring data

So far my scientific method seems to be proving successful. I think now all that is left to do is gather data from the town folk and from The Forest of Knowledge. Once I have enough data, I can start to hypothesize and then the fun begins, endless experimentation!

I just have one concern; What if perhaps, this new found power is not accepted? What if I'm accused of using it for evil, or have evil intents... I may need to keep this information hidden for now. Or perhaps, find somepony that does accept it so that they can work alongside me in secret... Someone in power, associates of a princess even!... I must begin searching for a work partner right away, but who?

A letter to any pony of power would have me under suspicion right away. Damn, this is tough, I'm beginning to second guess whether I should have taken this responsibility- I don't think I really had a choice. But why me? Why did the forest choose me? I'm the worst pony to have depended on... This is all too much, but I must persist at this. I can't give up now.

Stable then proceeds to worry, stumbling around the house, scanning his personal library, sipping coffee. Without a partner, there is no way this could ever go out to the public.
With no sign of finding anyone by reading, Stable decides that a trip outside of Ponyville is shortly due.

After careful consideration, I've decided that I must travel to the third most populated region of Equestria; The Crystal Empire. I have chosen this place because Canterlot is impossible to get into without a good standing in society and Manehatten just seems like a place not fit for the more scientifically adept, like myself. The Crystal Empire is quiet, has much to offer in terms of population, and has proven its ability to emit strong power if faced with evil. It seems they know what they are doing.

I do not have much left in terms of bits, this will be a one-way trip. But it's my last option, without this, I simply won't be able to show this power to the world. I have no time to waste.

I saddle up once more, scarf wrapped tightly around my neck, glasses readjusted for the 16th time this hour. I begin my venture, locking my door with a satisfying click that only the most observant ponies can appreciate, like myself. First stop, Ponyville stati- Actually, on second thought, it's been a good half hour since my last mug of coffee, I best take a detour to the coffee shop first.

I arrive, sipping my coffee at the train station. It's not busy, actually quite shallow in terms of volume. The soft wooden ground is cold, as is expected in winter. Just wish those weather ponies would make the more densely populated areas a priority for good weather. I'm sure there's a reason they don't... I should probably just accept it and move on. I don't go out much after all and the rain is sometimes quite soothing (A good thing too. Failed experiments leave me in the most bitter state).

It wasn't long until a train arrived, I seemed to have predicted it almost!

I duck my muzzle into the many layers of my scarf, hiding a good portion of my face from the crowd that exited the train. A minute passed and the platform was packed; A good time for me to board the train and relax my hoofs. On this train were few ponies, all of which seemed rather happy about something, my bet is they are from the Crystal Empire (Or heading there). That place seems to be known for having a happy atmosphere.

The train was cold and slightly damp, not much in terms of heating in here. Once this new power is used commonly, everything will be convenient; Heating, housing, travel, and most importantly, coffee!

A slow hour and 2 stops later, I arrive at the crystal empire. The blue hue of the environment quite instantaneously relaxes me. The color blue does that, it seems. The gleeful ponies exit the train, beaming smile on their face, meeting their friends or family on the platform. I stand from my seat and drop to my knees- "Shit, shit, shit! Dead hoofs, pins and needles! Sharp, pulsating, endless pains! Gahh!" I gasp out in a loud whisper of sharp pain.

I readjust myself, ten seconds after the minor fit; I exit the train as if all was normal, nothing happened, just walk it off. Seemed like no one noticed- Good. I look around, check for any idea as to a direction I might head. I notice a pony levitating a book in front of him- or her, I really can't tell from this angle. All I see is a blue cloak with stars dotted all over, a book, and a messy orange mane. Probably a science pony, I should follow them, a possible candidate for this new study!