• Published 14th Jun 2018
  • 28,623 Views, 1,542 Comments

The Worst Equestrian Necromancer - Nobodyslament



Some necromancers want to rule the world. Some want to reign terror across their own demented plane of existence. One just really wants to annoy heroes. These are his stories.

  • ...
37
 1,542
 28,623

3 Months After Return

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza was having the oddest day. She had been summoned by her auntie to a private tea room for a 'long overdue meeting', but then when she got there all she found was a stupid floating orb. She took a deep breath to try and calm her annoyance. She knew she shouldn't be that annoyed, but this was on Shiney's day off. She could be having a relaxing evening on his couch or catching a new play with him. Instead, she was staring at an orb in an empty tea room while her guards waited outside under orders to ignore everything they heard. She sighed and moved to a chair, glancing over the few changes that had been hastily done a few months ago at Luna's return. Some moon tapestries sat in contrast with the hanging suns scattered across the room, and blues had been added to the official color list that used to purely consist of gold and white. Cadence smiled at that; Luna deserved some recognition after all she had been through.

Cadence's thoughts were broken by a song she’d never heard before. She listened for a moment as it sang of a bar and loneliness before she noticed that the orb was glowing brighter and displaying a prompt that asked if she wanted to accept a call. She quirked an eyebrow at the orb, then sent a telekinetic jab at the projected Y. A moment later the orb expanded, showing her a large bipedal skeleton. She stared at it in utter shock; her voice couldn't find purchase in her throat as it slowly looked her over, from her hooves to her face. Then it spoke. "I AM RAGAR THE UNKILLABLE! You must be dear little Tia's niece." He performed a jaunty bow as the clacks of his knees echoed across the room. "It's a wonderful pleasure to finally meet you."

Cadence stared at him for a moment before taking a few deep breaths and running through the breathing exercises she had taught young Twilight. Once she was calm, she tried to flash a winning smile. "Hello, sir. You are correct; I am Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, niece of the risen sun, Princess Celestia."

Ragar waved his hand dismissively. "Yes, Princess Celestia has many titles, but she is not the center of the conversation right now. No, Ragar had heard nothing of you until Celestia mentioned her niece while we were enjoying the clips from the latest necromancer hunt. Ragar was deeply offended that the youngest of the alicorns had never met him." At this, he chattered his teeth. "After all, how can royalty properly fear the GREATEST EVIL ON ALL OF EQUUS if they have never met him?"

Cadence paused for a moment before mentally shrugging it off. She had seen Shiney try to act like a villain in his weekly games, and this wasn't much different. If auntie liked this necromancer, then he obviously wasn't evil. She smiled at the game the necromancer seemed to be playing as she gave her own little jaunty curtsey. "Well then, Lord Ragar, I shall endeavor to keep a proper mindset during this conversation. If I might be so bold, what evil feats have you accomplished?"

Ragar seemed to brighten up. "Of course! Ragar doubts Princess Celestia would leave records of the many accomplishments of Ragar lying around the castle, if only for the fear they would bring! Ragar has done many evil deeds, such as the plunder of the lost city of Marelantis and the theft of the entire forbidden section of the Royal Archives."

Cadence had to giggle at that. Marelantis was an amusement park on the Trottingham coast, and she had been to the forbidden section of the archives herself. "Of course; it must have taken auntie years to reacquire all of those books."

Ragar seemed confused by Cadence's simple statement. "Reacquire? Why would she do that? Ragar returned them all. How could the evils of knowledge be properly shared without a library? No, Ragar returned the books and copied one that he may have accidentally doodled in. However, in Ragar's defense, Starswirl was a bit of a jerk."

Cadence paused at this before deciding to put this conversation under the same mental umbrella as a conversation with Celestia. After a moment of consideration, she decided a rug was a better analogy than an umbrella. When you got confused, you just swept whatever they said under it and kept going. "Of course, though it is not mentioned in history books." She had broken the ice now. With that done she needed all the details of Ragar and Celestia. Rare was it Celestia could talk about anypony with a smile throughout the whole conversation, but with Ragar she did. Cadence took a step towards the lich. "So Ragar, care to share your thoughts on Princess Celestia? I'm sure another immortal would give me such valuable insight."

Ragar began pacing while staring at Cadence. His image actually moved, but the way it kept phasing through the furniture was more than a little distracting. He moved back and forth through the couch, seemingly debating the question with himself, before nodding. "Very well! Ragar will share what he knows with you. Celestia is a wonderful princess. She has managed to run Equestria excellently while Luna was gone. She has even managed to defeat me several times." He seemed to preen as he began speaking of her champions. "She always picks guards that truly have a spirit of adventure. Recently there was one who seemed to live off of old ruins and Daring Do." He deflated at this, scratching the back of his head embarrassed. "Ragar may have hired her for exploration and retrieval of various ruins and objects."

Cadence nodded. "But what does Ragar, the master of dark arts, think of her?"

Ragar paused. "Simple; she is a wonderful friend. Until Ragar has finished his great work, that is the most he can have."

Cadence nearly cursed. She knew he was sweet on her aunt, but he was so focused on work he couldn't act on it. She steeled herself. She had dealt with this before, she just had to make him think it was his idea. "So what about after? Surely you'd like to spend some time with her, correct?"

Ragar paused, seeming to be unsure of his answer. "Maybe Ragar would enjoy that. Though after his greatest accomplishment he will need time. A year, maybe two until Ragar will be able to speak again." He then clapped his bony hands together. "However, this has gotten far from Ragar's original topic. Ragar has a gift for you."

Cadence realized the ball had shifted to her side of the court, and she had no idea how to answer. "Oh... ok. What'd you get me?"

Ragar chattered his teeth. "Ragar has found a spell that allows anypony to see the strings of love. Be it romantic, friendly, or family. Ragar has decided the sole user of this spell should be the Princess of Love."

Cadence was star-struck. A spell that allowed her to see her domain as clearly as Celestia saw Equestria. This was the greatest gift she had ever heard of! She began hopping in place. "Oh yes yes yes yes yes!! That's the greatest thing ever. Where can I get it?"

Ragar let out a massive laugh as he disappeared. "NYEHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Cadence stared at the orb for a moment, heartbroken. She was trying to figure out why he would toy with her like that when she heard a tapping at the window, followed by an extremely loud caw. Curious, she opened the window with her magic and slowly peeked outside…

The guard outside the tea room were bored. They had been warned that this assignment would be weird, but they could hear Cadence speaking in her matchmaker's voice after a few minutes of talking. Granted, it had gone quiet a while ago. Then they heard a loud thump from inside the room. The guards looked at each other, both unsure of what to do. Slowly, the braver of the two started opening the door - only to get smacked in the face when a skeletal bird ran out as soon as the door was cracked. They stared until Cadence ran out after it screaming. "SOMEPONY STOP THAT BIRD!! IT HAS MY BOOK!!!"

Author's Note:

I love all of you and as always thanks to Guldane. Also, work sucks.