• Published 19th Jun 2018
  • 575 Views, 13 Comments

The Changeling War - Captain Morgan



When Chrysalis and a few remaining changelings took over America, all hope was lost. But when a small group of survivors meet Twilight and company, they show their new friends the way of survival and agree to let them help fight against Chrysalis.

  • ...
14
 13
 575

Behind Enemy Lines

“Are you sure that we’re going the right way, Chris? It feels like we’ve been navigating through this place for hours.” Rainbow exasperated.

“For the fifth time Rainbow, we are close,” Chris replied with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

For almost two hours we’ve been trying to navigate our way through the sewer system, but it was becoming hard as we would have to take a different route as some tunnels were collapsed. Everyone and everypony were starting to get tired of traveling through the sewer, especially Rarity who grimaced at every pile of sewage we would come across. Luna and I were walking side by side each other, only a few feet behind the others.

“So Morgan,” Luna spoke as I turned my head to her. “Did you really stay inside your home, just get a memory of your family?” She questioned, slightly tilting her head.

I gave her a small smile and nodded as I reached into my pocket and pulled out my wallet. I opened it in front of her and inside were a few pouches that contained some items that have been useless to me for some time now, my ID, thirty dollars in cash and rewards cards for several movie theaters. But inside a large pouch were items that weren’t useless. More than a dozen photos of me and my parents before the war.

“These are the only things I have left of them,” I said as I pulled out photos one by one and showed them to her. Some of them were taken at national landmarks like the White House and the Gateway Arch in Missouri and others were taken at beaches and lakes or on the family boat. Luna then saw that there was one more photo, and when she pulled it out, it showed a clear picture of both me and my parents sitting on a bench in the park.

“That one was taken a week before the Changeling war started,” I stated as Luna kept looking at my parents in the picture. My mom had a slim figure, long burgundy hair and wore glasses and my dad had a slightly built body, short grey hair and sported a small beard.

“What were your parents like?” She asked, wanting to know more about them.

“Well, my mom was a teacher at Kennedy High School which was south of Minneapolis. She always feared about sending me to school, so she homeschooled me till I was eleven, and you can kinda guess why she became a high school teacher.” I chuckled, earning a smile from Luna. ”As for my dad, he was the city’s chief of police. Every night when he would come home, he would tell me stories of him in his younger days on the police force. He was probably the bravest man I ever knew, as he took down and arrested five armed men, by himself.”

“I can believe it,” Luna said, impressed by my father’s bravery.

“My parents were both kind, caring, serious at times, funny, I actually thought I had the greatest family when I was young.” My smile then turned into a frown. “But when the Changelings came.” I started, a single tear running down my cheek. “My parents once told me that if anything ever happened to me, if I was hurt or in trouble, that they would immediately come get me and that we would face the issue together. When the other students and teachers were being rounded up by Changelings, I stayed behind at the school, just to wait for either one of my parents. I waited an entire month for them, until I accepted the fact that my folks were either relocated or… o-or dead.” I finished, another tear running down my face.

“I understand your sorrow Morgan, I really do,” Luna said, as she understood how hard of a life I had to live through, without my family.

I tried my best to recollect myself, as I was crying in front of her. “I missed them, Princess, I miss them so much a-and I’d give anything, just to see their faces again,” I said, wiping the tear stains from my face.

“Even if they are dead, you should know that they are always watching over you, you and your friends have survived this long without their guidance, haven't you?” She asked as I nodded, looking down at the floor only to have a hoof guide my face towards her’s. “Your parents are always with you in spirit Morgan and they will always love you, no matter what.” She finished, placing a hoof on my chest and staring at me with those beautiful cobalt eyes of hers.

“You have a way with words to cheer a guy up,” I stated as she then wrapped a hoof around me, pulling me into a hug, which I gladly returned. “Thanks, Princess Luna,” I said as she then released me from the hug.

“You don’t have to be so formal anymore, Morgan Grey. We’re friends now. Just ‘Luna’ is fine.” She said, reassuringly.

“Ok then, ‘Just Luna’.” I joked as I was earned with a cute giggle from her. God, I swear the giggle made my heart rate increase. Everything about her was incredible, I mean, before the war, I always dreamed of meeting the perfect girl for me to share my life with. She would have a nice bod, beautiful hair and eyes and a giggle that would make your heart race. Luna met all the requirement even though she was from another planet. She… Oh who am I kidding, there was no way in hell that would ever work out. I was just a twenty-two-year-old guy who’s been surviving in a country taken over by Changelings and she was an immortal Princess that ruled the night who came from another planet. There was no way I would be able to score a lovely creature such as-

“Morgan, up here!” I was snapped out of my thoughts by Chris calling out my name. My guess is that we were probably at our destination.

I looked at Luna and gestured to her with my head to follow. “Come on, I believe we’ve arrived,” I told her as we made our way up to him.

As we made our way past the others, we saw Chris standing there, looking down at the map in his hands. “I take it that we’re here?” I asked. He looked up at me and nodded as he then pointed his finger at a wall.

“If I’m correct, the basement of the church should be twenty feet behind this wall here.” He said.

“Well, I guess that’s my cue,” Twilight stated as she was about to walk past us and start her drilling spell till I held my hand out in front of her.

“It’s not that simple Twilight,” I said, getting in her way. “We’re right under the city of Saint Paul that is currently controlled by Changelings, that, and there’s bound to be people inside the church at this time of day, and If you use your drilling spell, it’s going to get people’s attention and they’re gonna alert any Changeling in the area to our position, thus making us fail at our plan of liberating the state.” What I said was true, one wrong move and our heads would be staked outside the city like Razorfang explained.

“Who said I was gonna use the drilling spell?” She replied. I looked at her in confusion until till her horn glowed and shot a beam of energy at the wall.

“Aaaand what was that supposed to do?” I asked. She then started walking toward the wall and phased right through it, like she was a Ghost.

“OK, she just walked through a brick wall!” Chris obviously pointed out with astonishment.

“It’s a fairly easy spell,” Twilight said as her head poked through the wall. “It allows anything or anyone to simply walk right through dense objects. Like walking through fog.” She stated.

“Wow.” Was all I could say. It wasn’t every day that you get to befriend talking ponies from another planet that could use magic to defy the laws of physics. But I was starting to get used to seeing their magic.

“Come now Morgan, we still have to find your relatives,” Celestia said as she, Luna and the other ponies walked (or flew in Rainbow Dash’s case) through the wall as well. Jacob, Evan, Chris, Markus and I couldn’t help but stare at the wall where the ponies walked through.

“Morgan,” Markus started as he turned his body to look at me. He then grabbed hold of both my arms and looked at me with a grin. “I love these guys!” He said loudly as he ran towards the wall, yelling ‘Yahoo’ as he lept into it.

I just smiled and rolled my eyes as we followed them through the wall. We have just successfully infiltrated the most heavily guarded settlement in the state. Now the next thing we had to do, was to find my uncle.

Once everyone was inside, we slowly made our way down the halls of the basement, looking for the stairs that led to the main floor. It kinda felt nice to be back here after so long.

“So Morgan,” Twilight started as she walked alongside me. “Have you been here before?” She asked.

“Multiple times,” I replied. “When I came over to my Uncle’s house to spend the weekend, Kenny and his family would always bring me to the church service here on Sundays,” I said, remembering my times when them here.

My family weren't the kind of people who would come to church every week on Sunday. We would usually watch the morning news and then go about our business. I would play on my Xbox One and talk with my friends, my mom would check her emails or read a book and my dad would sit in his recliner and watch How It’s Made or that old tv series, Falling Skies. But when I came over to stay at my uncle’s, I didn’t have a problem with going to church with his family, as it was the one place where I could feel safe from the dangers in the world.

“What about you, you got churches that worship religion back in Equestria?” I asked back.

“Not really, the closest we have to a religion is Princess Celestia and Luna cause they, as you already know, are able to raise the sun and the moon. Which begs the question, who or what do you worship here anyway?” Twilight questioned.

“Jesus Christ.”

“Beg your pardon?” she asked with a tilt of her head.

“Jesus Christ. He was a man way before my time who had special gifts that you wouldn’t think was possible.” I explained.

“What type of ‘special gifts’ are you talking about?” She asked.

I was about to tell her when I noticed down the hall on my right was a flight of stairs leading to the main floor of the church. “To be continued,” I said to her, then facing toward the others behind us. “Alright, here's the plan. I’m gonna head upstairs and see if the place is empty while all of you stay down here, out of sight. Once the place is secure, I’ll radio the all clear.” I calmly explained as everyone nodded in response.

“Stay safe, Morgan Grey,” Celestia said to me as I then gave her a smile.

“Don’t forget that I’m a tough man to kill, Celestia,” I told her as I then made my way upstairs.

*******

The main floor of the church was all but quiet, until the sound of a door, slowly creaking open, revealing my hand pushing it open with my pistol. Once the door was halfway open, I walked through and looked down both hallways to see that no one was there.

I made my way down the halls with my gun ready, until I found myself in front of the doors to the sanctuary. I opened both doors to see the entire area completely empty, not a single soul in sight. I walked down the alley, just to make sure, but seeing that there was no one here, I decided to radio the others. I was about to speak into the radio till I felt something touch the back of my head.

“Unless you want to know what it’s like for Changelings to have holes in their bodies, I suggest you put the gun down, now.” A gruff masculine voice said.

I did what he said as I slowly crouched down and gently placed my gun on the floor. I then rose up and placed my hands behind my head.

“Slide it to me.” He ordered as I then put my gun under my foot and slid it behind me where it hit something, probably his foot.

“Now turn around, slowly.” He said as I then turned my body to face him. Once I finished turning, I saw that the man was a priest in church robes. He looked to be in his early fifties, black hair with some tintage of grey in it, round glasses and stood past my height by a few inches. Oh, and he had a freaking double barrel shotgun pointed right at my face which scared me. But the funny part about my predicament was that I knew who exactly the guy was.

“I don’t know what you’re doing bringing a gun in here, son, but you… wait a minute.” The man lowered the gun as he squinted his eye to see if he wasn’t imagining things. “Morgan, Morgan Grey?” He asked as I gave him a small smile.

“Hi, Father David.” I greeted as he lowered his gun and stared at me with wide eyes.

“My God, son, I could’ve shot you!” He exclaimed as he laid the shotgun against a pew, picked my pistol at his feet and handed it back to me. “How did you even get in the city? I doubt they would let in an outsider like you, just like that.” He exclaimed.

“I have some friends that were able to create a backdoor from the sewers into your basement,” I explained, keeping the conversation simple.

“And where are these ‘friends’, might I ask?” He asked as I brought the radio to my face.

“This is Morgan, you guys can come up now, I got someone who would like to meet you,” I said into the radio.

A minutes later footsteps were heard outside as we look to the entrance to see everyone walking into the sanctuary. David was scared to death as he made the sign of the cross, thinking that the ponies were demons, but I was able to convince him that they meant no harm to anyone.

“Father David, I’d like you to meet the pony Princesses of Equestria, Princess Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle. Everyone, meet David Fitzgerald, he’s been a good friend to me since I was young.” I announced as the three Princesses bowed their heads to David.

“Uh, I-it's an honor to meet you your Highnesses,” David said nervously as he did a formal bow to them.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, Mr. Fitzgerald.” Celestia greeted with a friendly smile as David looked back at me.

“So Morgan, I guessing that you didn’t just bring your friends here to learn about the Lord?” He asked.

“Long story short, my group and I are starting a rebellion and want to take back our home from Chrysalis and these ponies are helping us as they have had run-ins with her on their planet and want her stopped as well. And as for why we snuck into the city, we're here to get my uncle and his family out of this forsaken place.” I said seriously. “They’re still here aren't they?”

“Heh, I should've guessed,” He said with a small laugh. “Yes, Kenny and his family are still here, they still come to church even after the war started. But I wouldn’t advise going out there, curfew is in half an hour and if you’re caught… God save your soul.”

“David, listen to me,” I said as I put both my hands on his shoulders. “Kenny is the only family I have left in this world. I need to get him out of this place or else the Changelings will learn that he is my uncle and kill him and his family.”

“I take it that you were responsible for the explosions earlier today that has the city all riled up?” He asked plainly as I averted my eyes away from him, not wanting to give a straight answer. He sighed. “You’re brave, son and being brave is good, but sometimes you have too much of it. This city has changed over the years and you won’t recognize a single thing here. I’ll have my assistant Shift guide you there.”

“What kinda person would call themselves Shift?” Jacob questioned. “Weird name don’t ya think?”

“Well about that,” David said uneasily. “Shift is actually a-” The sound of a door opening caught our attention as a Changeling with Cerulean hair and light blue eyes walked through carrying a plastic bag with food essentials inside.

“I’m back David!” It called out with a feminine voice. “I was even able to stop by at the market and get some Honeycrisp apples at the last-” She then looked up and gasped as she saw us, dropping the bag on the ground.

“Changeling!” I yelled as we aimed our weapons at it, with the ponies getting into their defensive stance, ready to defend themselves. We were about to shoot when David quickly stepped in front of her, holding his arms.

“Don't, she's not going to hurt any of you!” He yelled at us.

“Father David, please step out of the way so we can take care of this thing,” I said sternly, still pointing my gun at the female Changeling.

“Morgan you don’t understand, she’s not like them!” He said, still standing in the way.

“David, I’m not going to ask you again, step out of the-” I paused, wondering if I heard him right. “What do mean ‘she’s not like them’?” I asked concerned, slightly lowering my gun as he explained.

“There are two types of Changelings in the world Morgan, those who want to take away people’s freedom, and those who want to give it back.” We all just looked at him confused as to what he meant, but Chris was able to put two and two together.

“She’s against Chrysalis’ order?” He asked surprised, lowering his gun but David shook his head.

“It’s not just her, there are thousands upon thousands of Changelings that are tired of Chrysalis and want to give America back to us. There’s even a Changeling rebellion out east, right outside of Richmond!” He exclaimed, wanting us to believe him.

“It’s true!” Shift exclaimed, still cowering behind David. “There are hundreds of Changelings in the city that are part of it and actually care for you humans, and David’s not lying about the rebellion either!”

“Just like the Changelings who shared their love back in Equestria!” Twilight stated, catching on what they were saying.

Even though they had no proof of what they said being true, it actually convinced me as I holster my gun. “Stand down guys,” I said, but Markus wasn’t so sure about it.

“You sure Morgan, It’s a Changeling! She could be-”

“I said, stand down,” I repeated as Markus, Evan and Jacob lowered their weapons and the ponies softening up. I then walked my way over to Shift, but David was still standing in the way, worried that I would hurt her. “It’s alright David,” I said calmly as I gestured my hand for him to move. He slowly did, leaving Shift unprotected as she gazed at me, fearfully. Upon seeing her fear in her eyes, I knelt down to her level. “We’re not going to hurt you,” I said reassuringly as I held out my hand and stroked her hair. She stiffened at first but loosened up from getting petted, letting out a quiet hum. I laughed upon hearing it. “I take it that you’re Shift, David mentioned?” I asked as she nodded. “I’m Morgan Grey.” Her eyes went wide when I said my name.

“You’re Kenny’s cousin?” I asked with a look of surprisement as I nodded.

“You know my uncle?” I questioned, raising my eyebrow slightly.

“David introduced me to him and his family and we’ve been good friends ever since.” Shift explained as she remembered when she first met them.

“Shift, I’m here to get him and his family out of the city. David said that you would be willing to help me get there, do you think you can take me to them?” I asked as she looked to David for approval in which he nodded to her.

“Ok, but we’ll have to hurry, on my way here, I saw guards already making sure citizens are making their way back to their homes.” She said.

I nodded to her as I took my gun holster off my waist, my Ak-47 strapped to my shoulder and my sheath off my back as I then looked towards Evan. “Evan, you’re coming with me, and leave your gun here, we don’t want to draw attention to ourselves,” I told him as I concealed my knife in my back pocket with my shirt. He nodded as he set his M16 down on a pew.

“Morgan?” Luna spoke as she walked up to me. “I would like to come along as well.” She said.

“No,” I told her. “You and the others are in a city that is choked full of Changelings and if they even see you, they will not hesitate to kill you. You are safer if you stay here.” I insisted as Celestia walked up alongside her.

“He’s right Luna, we can’t risk exposing ourselves,” she said. Luna nodded as she looked to the floor, saddened at her failure to convince me.

“Hey,” I said as I guided her head to look at me. “We’ll be back soon, don’t worry.” She gave me a small smile as Me, Evan and Shift made our way to the front door, out into the night.

******

The streets of Saint Paul were silent as me, Evan and Shift made our way down through alley roads to avoid getting discovered. Kenny only lived about a mile away from the Cathedral, a twenty-minute walk which was lucky for us. Evan and I were incognito as I had put on my beanie and my aviators and Evan had taken a dark blue sweatshirt from a carousel clothes dryer and had thrown the hoodie over his head, enough to conceal both our faces.

“We’re almost there.” Shift stated, “we should be about-”

“Nine minutes away?” I guessed as she looked at me surprised.

“How did you know?” She questioned as I gave a slight chuckle.

“I’ve walked this route enough times to know how long it would take to walk from Kenny’s place to the Cathedral and back,” I explained as Evan looked at me, impressed.

“You’ve got one helluva memory!” He commented as I rolled my eyes, smiling.

“Except when it came to math.” I joked as he turned his attention towards Shift, wanting to start a conversation with her.

“So Shift, how did a Changeling like you end up with Catholic priest like David?” He asked.

“It happened about three years ago. I’d just finished my training and it was my first day in the guard till I was told by General Ripwing that some humans had taken shelter in one of the storage warehouses and that I was to ‘take care’ of the trespassers. I was able to find them, but only to see that they were just kids, probably ages ten to thirteen. I couldn’t kill them, sure they had wandered into the warehouse that they weren't allowed to be in, but I wasn’t about to kill a couple of kids when they were so young. So, I warned them that if they stayed here, other Changelings would find them and kill them for trespassing. They took heed of my warning and ran out to the warehouse through the back door, one of them even thanked me.” She smiled but then looked at the ground in guilt.

“B-but as I was about to leave, the General came out from the shadows and confronted me about letting them live. Said that there was no place for a Changeling who cares about humans, especially if they were kids, so he stripped me of my rank, kicked me out of the guard and told me that I-I had shamed him and the other guards.” She sniffed as a tear trickled down her face. Evan came up alongside her and stroked her neck, comforting her.

“What happened next?” I asked as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

“W-well, I roved aimlessly around the city for two days till I accidentally found myself on the steps of the Cathedral. It was raining and my wings were soaked, so I went inside to dry off. I eventually walked into the main area where I was greeted by Father David. At first, I thought he was gonna throw me out because of who I was, but he welcomed me with open arms, said that I was the first Changeling to ever step inside the cathedral. I ended up telling him my story about how I was relieved of duty which made him pity me. He said that I could stay here as long as I’d like, he even told me that even though I was a Changeling, Jesus would accept me for who I am. So he ended up making me his assistant and taught me everything about Catholicism and… Well... Here I am.” She finished, looking at me and Evan with a smile.

“Father David is a nice man, Shift and I’ve known him for many years. Makes me happy to hear how he took you in.” I commented.

“Thanks, Morgan,” She replied. “Now come on, we should keep moving before-”

“HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!” A voice yelled as we looked to see two Changeling guards land in front of us. One of them wearing high ranking armor while the other wore none.

“Well well, if it isn’t the Catholic, human loving Changeling, Shift.” The Changeling wearing armor announced.

“O-oh, hello Captain Pierce, Vex, w-what are you two doing here?” Shift asked nervously.

“What do you think we’re doing Dumbass, looking for anyone who out after curfew!” Vex snapped.

“And it seems we have two of them right in front of us,” Pierce smirked, glaring at me and Evan as he and vex started walking toward us, but we stood our ground.

“There’s no need for that Captain.” Shift said, quickly getting in there way. “These two boys were helping Father Fitzgerald and I at the Cathedral and had lost track of time. It gets so dark out at this time, so I’m taking these two home.” She finished as Evan and I nodded, playing along.

“Well you are right, it does get dark out. Dark enough to smuggle murdering fugitives!” He hissed, his horn glowing as my glasses and beanie were yanked of me. How did these two know it was me?

“My, My Shift, not only did you disgraced the name of the Queen’s royal guard, but you are helping wanted criminals who killed Ripwing? General Razorfang is gonna love this.” Vex smiled.

“Hate to break it to you guys, but the last time I heard, that bastard was buried underneath the ruins of the school.” I pointed out, but they just laughed at me.

“Are you really gullible kid? General Razorfang dug himself out there and got back an hour and a half ago. Every Changeling in the city wants to see you and your friends hanging from the top of the capitol!” Pierce said, still smiling as Evan and I looked at him with shook.

“Goddamn, how many lives does this guy have?” I thought to myself.

“Now,” Pierce growled. “How about you three be nice and follow us to the capitol where the General will personally slit your throats and-” He abruptly stopped as he and Vex just stared at us blankly, like when someone runs into another guy and swears at them, only to realize that person happens to be famous. Then for some unexplained reason, they fell to the ground, out cold.

We stared in silence at the two unconscious Changelings before us, wondering what the hell just happened till I was the first to speak. “Um, what just-”

“That would be my doing.” Another voice said as we looked up to see it belonged to Princess Luna, landing in front of us and stepping over the two Changelings on the ground.

“Princess Luna?” Evan said, surprised, looking at the two Changelings then back at her “What did-”

“A simple memory wipe spell.” She interrupted as if she knew what he was about to say. “Those two won't remember a thing from everything that has happened in the last twenty-four hours.” She said, looking back at the two guards.

“Evan, move these two against the fence, make it look like they were sleeping on the job,” I ordered as he started dragging the two as I then looked at Luna with a pissed off look. “What the hell, Luna?!” I quietly yelled, not wanting to wake up the neighbors.

“Excuse me?” She asked, glaring at me which made me cower… mentally that is.

“I specifically told you that you and the others to stay at the cathedral where it would be safe, and yet here you are, following us in the dark where other Changeling guards could discover you and alert the entire goddamn city!” I said as I then pointed to the two unconscious Changelings. “We had this under control!” I stated, but Luna just raised an eyebrow at me.

“You call ‘getting discovered by two passing guards who could outmatch you ten to one, who were about to bring you to the city’s capital where you would get executed’ under control?” She questioned, eyebrow still raised.

“Touche,” I said plainly as she sighed.

“After you left Morgan, I grew worried that something might happen to you on your way to your uncle’s. So when no one was looking, I slipped outside and went searching for you. I was glad that I had found you, for I feared what those Changelings were going to do to you when they brought you to the General.” She said.

I just looked away from her, shaking my head and biting my lip. There was no way that I was gonna convince her to make her way back to the church and stay there till came back with my uncle and his family. “Well, you’re already here and you did take care of those guards, so… ah what the hell, you can come along with us, but you have to keep a low profile, we’re still in hostile territory.” I told her with a serious tone as she bowed her head, thanking me.

“Hey, guys?” Shift asked. “Can we continue on our way to Kenny’s, I don't want to be around when these two to wake up or more of them come by.” She said, gesturing to the two sleeping Changelings.

“Good idea,” I commented as I then looked toward Evan. “Evan, how’s it going with those two?” I asked as he propped the two against the fence till they leaned into each other.

“It still needs something… There!” He quietly yelled as he walked over and picked up a half-empty bottle of liquor off the ground and walked back over to the two Changelings. He was about to pour some of the contents into their mouths until he stopped and looked at Shift. “You guys able to drink liquor, right?” He asked, showing the bottle to her.

She nodded. “We’ve grown accustomed to the taste, yes.” Getting his answer, he poured a small amount into both Changeling’s mouths and then placed the bottle upright in between the two.

“We’re good.” He said, stepping back and getting a good picture of the two Changelings that looked drunk and were sleeping on the job. “Now let’s get out of here.” He and Shift then started walking briskly down the alley. Luna was just about to walk after them before she felt my hand lightly grab her shoulder. She then looked at me with confusion.

“Luna, I-” I paused, as it was hard to get the right words out. “Thank you.” I finally said as she then gave me a smile.

“Come, Morgan, it’s time you introduced me to your uncle.” She said as we then continued our walk to my uncle’s. I had a lot of explaining to do when we got there, that's for sure.