• Published 10th Jun 2018
  • 2,173 Views, 61 Comments

Seven Hour Bubble Bath - Hasty Revision



During a quest for warmth, a young Spike causes problems for an only slightly less young Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
1
 61
 2,173

Alone

Celestia was more than a little tired during her walk back to her chambers.

She never had what could be called an “easy” day, but meeting with the Saddle-Arabian's was always a draining experience. They weren't difficult or antagonistic in any traditional sense. They certainly weren't aggressive or unreasonable or even particularly annoying. It was just that the meetings ran for so long and demanded such adherence to protocol. It wasn't like meeting with griffons. Griffons were rude, abrasive, difficult, and aggressive, but at least she didn't have to worry about using the “wrong” fork.

There were days she wished the capital was in a city founded by earth ponies or pegasi. Anything to get away from the unicorn nobility. Her one solace was that her younger companion felt much the same way.

“I don't understand why I had to be there,” Cadance said. “All I did was wait in the hallway for hours, bow, smile, and thank them for coming. That seems like all I ever do except smile and wave. At least when I was foalsitting I felt like I was helping somepony. What did I even do today?”

Celestia smiled down at the much younger alicorn.

“By being there, you reinforced their impression that we're taking them seriously. In their minds, you are there to immediately speak with me and be told what you need to know in order to see to their needs. They trust me to hear everything and to delegate information appropriately on a need-to-know basis.”

Cadance furrowed her brow. “But… you haven't told me anything.”

“With your current duties being what they are, you don't 'need' to know anything about our discussions. They do not know that, of course. They only know that you are a princess and thus a pony of great importance.”

“So, I was there as a prop.”

Celestia's smile widened a little. “You would be surprised how much of being a princess, or any form of official for that matter, revolves around appearances. Poise, grooming, and knowing when to smile can take you far.”

Cadance frowned and ruffled her wings. “I just wish I could actually help somepony.”

Celestia reached out her own wing to rest gently across Cadance's back.

“All in good time. I know you are frustrated but you are a princess of Equestria. You'll play your part.”

A somewhat weak smile finally broke out on the young princess's face. “Well, it's not a complete loss. At least I get to see Twilight this weekend. It feels like forever since I spent any time with her.”

Celestia's own smile faded slightly at the reminder of her student. Leaving her with Spike again had been a gamble, one that had been on her mind for much of the evening. Had Twilight learned from her mistakes? Had Spike been bold enough to reach out again? What was she going to find when she opened the door? Two new friends or two upset children? The possibilities flitted past her mind's eye as they rounded the corner into the final stretch of hallway leading to her chambers.

“She's been very engrossed in her studies. You know how... diligent she can be.”

“I heard something about that. Five guards?”

“She held them at bay for nearly two hours. Final Draft didn't have time to fill me in on all the details.”

“One of the guards I spoke to mentioned something about a barrier spell. She must have picked that up from Shining Armor.”

The change in her companion's tone when she mentioned Shining Armor didn't go unnoticed by Celestia. If that colt didn't make an open move soon she was seriously considering ordering him to ask Cadance out officially. Life was too short to waste time, and too long to not cultivate some joy to fill it. Royalty or not, there was no way she was going to let Cadance fall into some stuffy, political marriage.

Not on her watch.

Cadance, made eager by the chance to do something after waiting for hours on end for a meeting she wasn't even in, trotted ahead of her and pushed open the door.

“Hm, it's quiet,” she whispered when Celestia caught up. "I wonder if they dozed off?”

Celestia's smile slipped fully into a frown when she stepped over the threshold. Quiet was not encouraging. She'd been hoping for talking or laughter or… something. Anything to indicate that the two children had found some common ground to bond on.

The place was clean and smelled faintly of soap. The distinctive twang of remover potion was absent, so her instructions had been followed, at least. She cast a critical eye over the doors to her study and bedroom, both of which were ajar. No lights were on in either of them, and the sitting room was rather dimly lit by only a single lamp and the flickering of a dying fire. She was about to call out for Twilight when she heard a stifled squeal.

Cadance had already reached the center of the room, right behind the long lounge that sat facing the fireplace. She was trembling on three hooves with the other pressed to her muzzle, looking over the back of the lounge to something on the floor.

“Cadan-?”

The younger princess frantically shushed her and beckoned her over.

You have to see this!” she whispered.

Celestia crossed the room as quickly as she could without making a sound. In the dim light she didn't see what had Cadance so excited at first. A cushion from the sofa had found its way onto the floor, something that happened regularly since Spike had hatched. It was oddly lumpy, as though--

For a moment Celestia's jaw went slack in a most undignified manner.

The cushion was surrounded by books. Small, brightly colored books from the bottom shelf of her bookcase. The very same books that she read to Spike every night before she tucked him in. The cushion itself was draped with a blue blanket made lumpy by what was beneath it.

A little, purple unicorn…

…and an even littler purple dragon.

The two of them lay together on the same cushion with a book splayed out, half read and forgotten, in front of them. They were cuddled closely together, Spike tucked under one of Twilight's forelegs by the looks of it, and both fast asleep.

“That is the most adorable thing I've ever seen,” Cadance whispered.

Celestia could only nod. She didn't trust herself to speak. The two princesses stood there, looking down at the sleeping pair for several long minutes. Once again she found herself struck by the urge to lay down beside them. To reach out her wing to tuck the pair of them safely to her side and just… hold them there. She could do it. They were right there. It'd only take a moment and she could have them beside her. Cadance wouldn't say anything, wouldn't judge her for it. She'd understand, wouldn't she? With her gift she would surely understand the feelings swelling in her heart, begging her to--

She turned away and started towards the door. Cadance made to follow but hesitated before tearing her eyes away from the sight that'd so captivated her.

“Should we wake them?”

“No.” Celestia started at the hoarseness of her own voice. She gently cleared her throat and tried again. “They'll be fine. The enchantments on the fireplace will contain…” She shut her eyes to resist the longing to look back. “They'll be fine. Come.”

She lead the way back to the hallway and closed the door behind them.

“Will you join me for a late night snack, my dear Cadance? I believe there are a few leftover confections on hoof in the kitchens.”

Cadance looked up at her elder with eyes full of concern. “Are you alright? You seem troubled.”

Celestia took a long, slow breath. Her gaze wandered up above Cadance's head, towards the tall, narrow window at the far end of the hall through which the moon could be seen, bathing the palace in its pale light. Light that had never seemed quite as bright ever since that dark silhouette had bloomed across its surface so many years ago.

“I...” She swallowed and set her jaw against the tremor that threatened her voice. “I feel that I could use some company tonight if you wouldn't mind staying for a while. I'm feeling… I'm feeling very alone right now.”

Cadance didn't answer, not with words. Her wing reached up, straining to rest across Celestia's withers as the taller alicorn had done for her so many times. Celestia sagged slightly as though the pink and purple feathers weighed on her like a thousand pounds of bricks. Cadance stepped closer, letting Celestia lean on her ever so slightly as the two princesses walked down the hallway together.

It was a testament to a millennium of practiced restraint that she hardly wept at all.

Author's Note:

The end.

I'm sorry if the ending is a little bit of a downer. I hadn't planned it that way but it struck me as I was writing this last chapter and I had to write it. Thank you for reading this story and I hope you enjoyed it. Regardless, I'd be happy to take any and all feedback, positive or negative.

Thank you again for reading.

Comments ( 31 )

perfect ending.:fluttercry:

I really enjoyed this. When I really enjoy a story, I feel the need to try and give some constructive criticism. Here, though, I don't have much to criticize. The characterization was on point, the story flowed well without any sections that felt rushed, and none that felt unnecessary. It's about as close to perfect as I can imagine. Please do more.

9012417
I'm glad you liked it. It wasn't quite what I originally planned but once I got to that point I felt like it was the ending it needed to have. Thank you for reading.

9012554
I appreciate the feedback, especially about the flow. I'd felt like I was maybe rushing in a few spots, especially in chapter 5. I'm glad to hear it doesn't come across that way. I can't promise exactly when I'll post or update another story or what it'll be about but I do have many more in various states of rough draft that I intend to finish.

Thank you for reading.

Not exaggerating here, this was just a flawless little story. While I'm a bit sad it didn't end quite the way I'd hoped it would, I suppose my vision of the ending would have made it a bit more generic and more in line with the dozens of other little fluff pieces on this site (not saying they're bad!) so I'm glad you took a slight different approach. Stop me if you've read this already but your characterization was the best part as I felt these are the characters from the show, albeit more fleshed out. Still sad though. :fluttershyouch:

Please do more. :rainbowderp:

9016158
I'm glad you liked it. It's good to know that I brought the characters across well. That's usually the thing I'm most worried about when I write these stories. Makes me a bit nervous to tackle some of the more difficult characters, like Rarity for example.

I admit that I'm a little curious about how you were expecting the ending to go before you read it. I'd planned to go a slightly different direction originally but this just felt right to me. I'm not sure if it's sad enough that I should add the "Sad" tag. I don't want to blindside anyone with it.

9016682

Well I'm glad to report you've done an excellent job capturing their personalities. Just keep doing what you do. :raritywink:

Don't mind me I'm a bit of a Celestia/Spike sucker when it comes to their relationship. It has always bothered me that in the show they've exchanged almost no words nor acknowledged each other though it makes sense Spike's early years would have included Celestia's influence in his raising.

It definitely doesn't warrant a "sad" tag, it was slice of life through and through, just Celestia's sudden realization at the end that Spike has left her nest and into Twilight's (at least that's how I interpreted her reaction) made me sorry she felt that way. Correct me if I missed the point. :twilightsheepish:

9016738
That's more or less what I was aiming for. Plus some lingering issues with being close to others after what happened with Luna, combined with the expectations of her position and the responsibilities that force her to see those around her as strategic resources as well as ponies.

As they say, it's lonely at the top.

9016821
I suppose that was kind of what I was hoping for. Instead of reclusing herself further into her familiar solitude as she has always known, she would embrace the children. Well, at least she had Cadence for relief this time around. :twilightblush:

A nice little story that shows a pretty fitting start to the bond between Spike and Twilight.

I love it :pinkiehappy:

The bittersweet ending was unexpected, but understandable.

9018859
I'm glad you liked it. And I'm glad the ending makes sense even if it isn't set up 100% perfectly.

Lovely story!
Thank you!:moustache::twilightsmile::trollestia:

9170400
I'm just glad you liked it. Thank you for reading.

I enjoyed this story, thank you for writing it! :twilightsmile:

9186759
Thank you for reading it and letting me know what you thought.

9355128
Yes, I did enjoy the story. An interesting exploration into the pre-show psychology of Twilight Sparkle and Spike.

I don't often say this ... but Celestia needs ALL THE HUGS. No wonder she and Luna are retiring.

9504070
It's lonely at the top.

Awww. Why didn’t you let Tia snuggle the pony and dragon?

9658289
It's just sorta where the story ended up going. I'd planned a different ending when I started but when I got there it ended up changing entirely into its current form and I couldn't bring myself to do anything else instead.

Interesting how the first two chapters were actually self-coherent enough that they could've been two little stand-alone one-shots. It made me wonder at first if this was more of an anthology of stories occurring one after the other. Of course, this isn't tagged anthology, and with good reason. :moustache:

Note: Review below is not altogether spoiler free.

The first chapter was pretty cute, with Spike and his adorable, if not very flawed reasoning as to how to solve his problem - trying to do it the Twilight way without really knowing what he was doing was both humorous and precious. :twilightsmile:

Chapter two had a rather comical start, showing us the precocious little Twilight being paid little mind while emphatically trying to make her point - the effect on the reading akin to smirks and chuckles as we see the young student desperately trying to mature more than a little faster than is actually good for her. :twilightoops:

As things progressed, it was sad to Twilight and Spike in conflict with one another at this more tender stage in life, but of course it did make sense given the circumstances. Chapter one is pretty crucial to truly understanding Spike's side of things, and it makes us very sympathetic to his plight in the second and onward. :pinkiesad2:

Usually with the Celestia and little Twily fics I've read, the tone tends to stay more whimsical, sweet, or light-hearted between them. Typically with Celestia giving reassurance and gentle guidance coupled with Twilight's humorous, but altogether adorable attempts at trying to be more grown up and dependable. Here, however, is probably the most notable time in which I can recall a story showing Celestia truly and more firmly disciplining her student, which is something that sets this story apart. :eeyup:

We like to imagine that things were always sweet and light-hearted in Twilight's childhood, but like all children who grow up to be responsible adults, there are times when things turn serious and it is necessary to teach them that disobedience has consequences. Sad as it was. :ajsleepy:

I loved how Twilight's response to learning of Spike's illiteracy was immediately to try and teach him how to read. :pinkiehappy: Very in-character, and I took great pleasure in her being so aghast upon learning of the situation. :pinkiegasp:

We got to see a glimpse of the closer, more loving duo of Twilight and Spike when they had fallen asleep together on the cushion. I join Cadance in her complete approval!
:twilightsmile:

One of the more sobering aspects of this tale, was revealed in the showing of Celestia with all of her important royal and diplomatic responsibilities, secretly just desperately longing to be able to set aside her dull work and focus more on being a care-giver to little Twilight and Spike. Her momlestia desires definitely were showing in that last chapter. :fluttershysad:

All-in-all, this was an engaging and rather bitter-sweet read, showing us some of the solemn aspects of life when Twilight and Spike were quite young. I thank you for sharing. :pinkiesmile:

9678856
Wow, thank you so much for this detailed review and feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out.
This response is also not spoiler free.

I'm glad to hear that Spike's childlike thought process worked. It felt like a very tricky balancing act to bring across his childish reasoning in a way that didn't become too clumsy to read or have a really weird juxtaposition of a little kid having immature thoughts with much too big and advanced a vocabulary. I must have gone over his sections a dozen times, agonizing over striking the right balance.

Now that you mention it, I haven't really seen a lot of young Twilight getting in actual trouble with Celestia either. While I don't imagine a young Twilight deliberately setting out to cause trouble, having Celestia need to discipline Twilight felt very natural to me. It's established pretty early on in the show that she's extraordinarily determined to earn and keep Celestia's approval. If she can cause havoc as an adult in "Lesson Zero" I can only imagine what kind of trouble she caused as a little filly, even if only through accidents, inexperience, or lack of forethought. Children aren't exactly known for making wise decisions. Occasionally being adorable is an option, though.

Celestia has, from pretty early on, struck me as a mare who spends a lot of her time in public keeping up appearances. Her joy at ruining the Gala by inviting Discord and the rather childish bickering with her sister in a couple of episodes hint at a much more normal pony hiding under all the poise who is begging to be cut loose. It felt right that this should extend to some of the less fun aspects of being a normal pony. Heartache, loss, and loneliness are all things that normal ponies struggle with at some point in their lives, after all. As the saying goes: it's lonely at the top.

Thank you again for reading and for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. I really do appreciate it.

9679298
Not spoiler free.
I... wouldn't equate imitating her checklist habit to being Twilight's fault, he could've just as easily emulated something Celestia does with his limited understanding and then made a mess that way. :twilightsheepish:

I think Twilight's issue here was more her tunnel-vision, wanting to be adept at what she considered her purpose, to please her teacher and fulfill her potential. :rainbowdetermined2:

It annoyed her to suddenly have to be pulled away from that, so she was very reluctant and irritated that no one seemed to be giving her point of view much merit. :rainbowderp:

And then to immediately have a disaster on her hooves to deal with on top of it all just added to her irritability, and then she still being an immature filly, directed her displeasure at Spike. :applejackunsure:

Of course she did realize her mistake when it was plainly laid out for her, and she was also punished for her error, but "incredibly selfish" may be a bit harsh. She is just a young filly and a student still in the process of learning, after all. :fluttershysad:

9679333
Oh, I wasn't trying to imply that his making a checklist was Twilight's fault. Just that it's something he learned from her.

A good ending, nice story.

9680111
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Finally got around to reading this story, and damn. It was just... amazing.

You near=perfectly showed Spike as a very young boy, maybe 6 or so, trying to make sense of the world around him. His thought process in the first chapter was spot on. Twilight, as well, was exactly what we were always shown/told she was as a filly: focused, driven, and completely lacking in social graces. When she snapped at Spike, my heart jerked. I love how you played it into Spike's worst fear, as shown in The Crystal Empire, of not being able to be around Twilight anymore.

The stealth characterization came from Celestia. I really bought her as Spike's "mom" and Twilight's mentor. I also love the bits hinting at her having this massive, grand plan in place for dealing with Nightmare Moon, as well as Cadance and Shining Armor factoring into it, too.

The only thing I can think of as a "criticism" would be the synopsis seemed to foretell a discussion as to why Spike takes the titular "Seven Hour Bubble Baths." It made me kind of hope for a talk about dragon biology, with Twilight learning more about how to care for her dragon. But I can hardly blame you for my incorrect assumptions, now can I? :ajsmug:

All in all, this fantastic tale reminded me why I love reading stories about Celestia and the "Sparkle family" from before Season One. You really hit the nail on the head with showing us how Twilight and Spike's relationship formed, and making everyone believable. I truly loved this story! :twilightsmile:

9997108
Wow, thanks for the wonderful feedback! I was really uncertain if I was getting young Spike's thought processes across in the right sort of childish way back when I wrote this. It was difficult to strike that balance between how surprisingly smart little kids can be versus how naive and inexperienced they are. Young Twilight was rather fun to write, though, and I'm really glad that moment of anger worked.

Celestia's characterization was stealthy for me, too. I legitimately did sit down to write this story based almost entirely on that throwaway line about Spike taking "seven hour bubble baths". But when I got to her sections, everything just fell into place. Unlike her, I rarely have a grand design in mind.

And I agree that my summary could be a bit misleading. I'm not very good at writing those. However, if you are interested in that sort of dragon lore, you might like my other stories "Leading Causes" and "Growing Up Dragon", the latter of which is a slow work in progress. Unless you've already read those, of course.

Regardless, thank you for taking the time to read and for letting me know what you thought, I really appreciate both!

Ok I just found one of my new favorite stories. This was amazing.

11633899
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

And now it's Celestia's turn for help. Nicely done :)

Login or register to comment