• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 3,998 Views, 227 Comments

Discord vs. the Greeting-Card Industry - SoloBrony



Starlight Glimmer and Chrysalis find themselves the subject of Discord's latest prank; shipping them on a dare.

  • ...
13
 227
 3,998

Calling the old man out

Discord smiled at Spike across the Friendship Map, fingers steepled.

"I'd say I've finally won the bet. What do you think, Spike?"

Spike, for his part, just rolled his eyes.

"Okay, yes, they spent the night together voluntarily, but there's still no evidence that they're actually interested in—"

The door slammed open, revealing Twilight Sparkle, fuming.

"Discord! You're the one who put the bonding hex on—oh, hey, Spike. Uhh..."

Discord just smiled winningly at Twilight. "Oh, go on. Spike knows."

"Spike knows?! Spike, why didn't you tell me?"

Spike shrugged helplessly. "I couldn't. I'm bound by the rules."

Twilight stood on her hind hooves, throwing her front hooves towards the heavens. "The rules of what?!"

Discord just grinned at her. "The wager. You see, Twilight, I made a bet a very long time ago, and Spike here is acting as the judge of whether or not I have won that bet."

Twilight just groaned. "You're messing with Starlight's life, Discord! Chrysalis, too! You can't do that just for a bet! Spike, why would you agree to this?!"

Spike just held his hands up. "Hey, he just said he needed me to be quiet about it and judge. Discord and I are friends, so I agreed. I didn't know what he'd actually do. I told him it was a bad idea, but it's been working out so far."

"WORKING OUT?! How do you figure?!"

Discord swam up into the air and lazily wafted around above Twilight.

"What I think you should be saying... is 'thank you'."

"THANK YOU?!"

"You're welcome!"

Twilight just yelled in fury and blasted Discord, sending him up into the ceiling. The draconequus turned into a pancake on impact, and gently floated downwards while Twilight directed her gaze to Spike. Spike threw his hands in front of him.

"No no no! Listen! He actually did a good thing! He thwarted Chrysalis' latest attempt at revenge and now she and Starlight are friends! It's a good thing! I mean, roughly! Probably!"

Twilight just kept glaring at Spike for a few more seconds while Discord reinflated himself and teleported back to his seat, pulling out an iron and working out kinks in his body. Discord continued to speak in his calm and smooth tone.

"You see, princess, I decided to do your job and make nice between a couple of would-be enemies. And I believe I've done quite a good job of it, indeed."

Twilight groaned, rolling her eyes. "Fine. What was this 'bet'?"

"Well, my ancient nemesis, Greeting Card, bet that I could never manipulate ponies as well as he could. He made ponies fall in love, you see, without using any magic... and I wasn't ever able to achieve the same, though I tried a few times. I was clumsy back then, you see."

Twilight's eye twitched. "Greeting Card? The pony who started the greeting card industry?"

"Just the same. You see, the bet stipulated I couldn't mess with his mind or his family's unless I won. Pretty slick, getting protection that way. That rogueish pony sure knew how to spin a contract."

Twilight just stared deadpan at Discord. Then her face lit up in recognition. "Hearts and Hooves day. You deliberately set all of this up on Hearts and Hooves day because you were trying to make them fall in love?!"

"Well, actually, I did it because Hearts and Hooves day is practically a holiday worshiping my old nemesis. It seemed the best time to lay the bet to rest."

"But you didn't! There's no evidence that the two of them—"

Just then, two more individuals entered the room.

One was Starlight Glimmer.

The other was Queen Chrysalis, as evidenced by her being a changeling, her size, and some aspects of her appearance. This might be hard to an uninformed viewer to put together, however, given that she now had a soft yellow coat, and mane and tail which were green at the roots and faded into yellow towards the tips, gossamer wings, and various other alterations indicating she had shared love with someone.

The two stood in the doorway, staring at the spectacle, and being stared back at by the three occupants, until Spike finally spoke up.

"Okay, Discord. You've won."

Author's Note:

eww reformed changelings ew cooties

https://jadedjynx.deviantart.com/art/Reformed-Chrysalis-644808954

ew why would you link that ew cooties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnUIIyH1Go

Getting featured fills the author with DETERMINATION