• Published 3rd Aug 2018
  • 1,192 Views, 213 Comments

Magic on Sweet Apple Acres - Blade Star



Sequel to 'My Family and Other Equestrians'. Bones continues his life on Sweet Apple Acres. Helping the Apples' on the farm, studying magic with Twilight, and occasionally dealing with the odd, minor world ending catastrophe.

  • ...
9
 213
 1,192

Chapter 23 - The Great Spirit

While it went against my better judgement, I decided to keep my mouth shut about my, or should I say, our encounter with Chrysalis. My darker half had had a point; we’d come perilously close to affecting the outcome of events. Think of it this way, I am not supposed to be here in Equestria, nor is any of my family. We’re not part of the ‘script’ as Discord put it. There is a certain way things must go, and my little stunt yesterday with Jack very nearly altered the course of events. As painful as some events have been due to me, or one of my family not interfering, it’s very much a case of better the devil you know.

Of course, I had to tell Applejack something. My marefriend almost instantly picked up that something was amiss when I got back. And let’s face it, when I’m talking to her, I can be a worse liar than AJ herself. Still, as I said before, I couldn’t just blab about what had happened. In the end, I managed to carefully skirt around the issue, telling her that I’d gone to see Lizzie, and then Jack had turned up to ask for my help, which had led both of us into the Everfree Forest. AJ can pick out an outright lie at twenty paces, but the same can’t be said for a lie of omission. I didn’t like doing it, but hopefully, when things come to a head, I’ll be able to explain things to not only Applejack, but Twilight and the others as well.

Still, there was little to do about it now, although the incident had hardly left my mind. Unsurprisingly, I’d slept badly that night. I hadn’t had nightmares as such, not enough to catch Luna’s attention at any rate. They were more just, strange dreams. I suppose it was because the encounter had left me with so many questions. Even in sleep, my mind was buzzing as it tried to come up with answers.

There were two things that stuck out in my mind. Firstly, what was she doing? We know that she created those screwed up copies of AJ and the others and that she went traipsing around for the Elements. What I didn’t know though, was; how the hell she knew about the Tree of Harmony? While Twilight is trying to get permission from Celestia to put it into her syllabus as part of her friendship school, at present, it’s pretty much a secret known only to a select few. Chrysalis sure as hell wasn’t on that list. And what were the odds that she would stumble on it by accident?

The other issue had been our brief conversation. That kept me up at night. Those horrid green eyes staring right at me, filled with such hatred and malice and wicked cunning. But what had terrified me more, after I’d had time to dwell on it, was what she’d said. She’d recognised me. The venom in her voice had been palpable. How could she possibly know me? We’d never met until that day, technically speaking. The only other time our paths had crossed had been a paradox. I only remembered things because I was right in the epicentre. She shouldn’t remember anything about that. If she did, the paradox, remembering her death contrasted with her still being alive, would no doubt have driven her insane by now.

Well, more insane, at any rate. From what Starlight told me, she didn’t take her forced abdication all that well. That worried me. Was I now on her hit list too? But still, the question persisted; how had she remembered me?

And then of course, there was the matter of those copies. Now, this was less of a worry, and more of a curiosity. As I said before, due to the recent thawing of pony-changeling relations, we’ve learnt a lot more about their magic and how it works. However, while Thorax had transformed into a sort of leader, he was not a queen, or king. He didn’t have the same magical abilities that Chrysalis had; he could only change his form, like any other member of his species. In contrast, Chrysalis could cast spells like a unicorn. We know so little about her dark magic, and there was nothing even remotely close to whatever dark spell she’d used to create these copies from rotting trees, although I knew that was similar to how the first of her species came to be.

I had far more questions than I did answers. And unfortunately, I wasn’t about to have some wonderful epiphany fall into my lap. The answers would come in time, when the former queen made her next daring move.

That brought me back to today, a few weeks after my exciting little adventure. Today, I was no longer hot on the heels of a deadly fugitive. Today, I needed to work with little Apple Bloom, planting some new saplings to replace a few of the trees that had been sadly blown down. They’d been like that for a few weeks; the result of the large tornado that had nearly engulfed Canterlot. There had been light damage, such as blown out windows, as far out as Ponyville. That’s what you get when magicless monkeys fill a staff with magical power beyond their understanding and try to use it in any meaningful way.

I let myself fall back into the comfortable and routines of home as the five of us had breakfast together. Applejack would be looking after the stall today, along with her big brother. He’d asked for her help this week for a bit of a strange reason.

You see, it is a simple fact that most straight mares are attracted to Big Mac. Why, I have no idea, nor does Mac actually, in fact, his attempts to repulse them only seem to make the situation worse. Anyway, he’d always have a few of Ponyville’s single mares hit on him when he looked after the stall. At first, he said, it had been quite flattering, but at this point, the cat calls and longing stares were more unsettling than anything else. And of course, because double standards exist, he couldn’t easily tell them to shove off or complain about harassment. It had been bad enough before, but now he was with Sugar Belle, and therefore decidedly off the market, he’d expected things to die down a bit. Instead they’d just gotten worse.

Now, reverse the situation, and put AJ there. If some stallion were to hit on her and not take ‘I have a coltfriend’ for an answer, I’d happily smack him upside the head to hammer the point home. And so Big Mac’s little sister would be doing pretty much the same thing. She was going to help him manage the stall and tell any mare that made her brother uncomfortable precisely where to stick it, in her own subtle way.

That just left Granny, Apple Bloom and me on the farm for the day. The little filly was growing up fast now, and it was high time she really started to learn the ropes on how the farm works and thrives. Enter yours truly to act as an ad hoc teacher. Well, okay, more of a helper than anything else. We’d work together planting the new saplings.


“Okay, come on, Apple Bloom!” I called out.

I was presently hooked up to the small cart that held all the new saplings that were to be planted. There were around twenty five or so to do. Along with them, I had a couple shovels; one for me, and a foal sized one for Apple Bloom. The saplings were all tightly packed together, and at a distance, it might look as though I was lugging about a lump of hedgerow.

You know, now that I think about it, that’s one thing I haven’t really seen too much of here in Equestria. The quintessentially English style of dividing up fields isn’t really found here, with the possible exception of the Trottingham region, but that place is more just a stereotype than anything else.

My brief pondering about the status of hedgerows in the land of small technicolour horses was fortunately cut off as my partner in crime came scampering out of the house. As ever, the little filly had her signature pink bow in her mane. Curiously though, she also had a pair of saddlebags on, which seemed to be filled with a variety of vials and test tubes, as well as a few different flowers and herbs.

“Okay, Bones,” she declared brightly. “Ah’m ready.” I however, was a little curious about her cargo.

“Hang on, AB,” I said consolingly. “What’s all that stuff ya got in your saddlebags?” Apple Bloom ears went flat against her skull.

“Oh...erm...well, ya see, Bones,” she replied. “We’re gonna be mighty close to the Everfree Forest when we finish plantin’ all these new trees. So Ah though Ah might go and visit Zecora. Ah’ve been meanin’ to go and visit her for a couple weeks now. But me and the other Crusaders have just been so busy with helpin’ ponies find their cutie mark.” I frowned as my paternal instincts reared up.

I can’t exactly remember when it started, but since moving to live with Apples, I’ve taken a real shine to the youngest member of the family. I guess it’s my own existing big brother instincts in a way. Along with Big Mac, I’ve taken to looking out for the filly, being a listening ear from time to time, helping her with homework, or simply playing with her and Winona. But in addition to that, I’ve also developed some rather paternalistic leanings, being deeply protective of her. While I would never claim to replace the venerable Bright Mac, I know she looks up to me.

“Now, Apple Bloom,” I said in an admonishing tone. “Ya know ya can’t go out into the forest on your own. It ain’t safe for a little filly.” Apple Bloom pouted adorably.

“Aww, but Bones!” she said, dismayed. “Applejack’s been in there a bunch of times, and so have you and Big Macintosh.”

“When you're older ya can go in there on your own,” I said. “But a forest full of timberwolves, cragadiles and cockatrices ain’t safe for a filly. Tell ya what, once we’re done here, Ah’ll come along with ya, Ah’ve been meanin’ to go and see Zecora anyways.”

That got her to perk up a little. I know she’s been railing against Applejack for a while now when it comes to looking after herself. If you think Mac or I are a little overprotective, we’ve got nothing on AJ. She can be like a mother hen at times when it comes to Apple Bloom. Perhaps that’s why I can be the way I am around AB. Applejack has stepped into the horseshoes of a surrogate mother, so maybe I’m doing the same?

And to be honest, it did also suit my schedule rather well too. It had been a couple days since that whole business with Chrysalis, and I was still dealing with the internal fallout. I’d remembered that Zecora had taken possession of what was left of those copies. Perhaps in studying them, I could gleam some ideas about how they were created. Well, that and it was always nice to see Zecora. The zebra was always engaging to talk to, and it would be interesting to see what Apple Bloom had been learning from her. Alchemy has become something of a hobby for the little filly over the years.

The two of us left the farmyard and headed off into the apple orchards. It was a bit of a walk to where the new trees were to be planted. As I said, it was close to the Everfree Forest, on the side of the farm that faced Canterlot, and consequently caught the worst of the storm. It wasn’t too bad really, but the winds had been strong enough to uproot more than a few trees.

The pair of us chatted as we walked. I always like to know what Apple Bloom has been up to as far as school goes, and of course her role as one of the Crusaders. Honestly, before long, they’re going to have to start charging ponies a few bits for a consultation. They’ve got a great business model going and a virtually limitless supply of new customers each year. We actually passed the Crusaders clubhouse on the way. Apple Bloom had been doing pretty well in her studies. Things have certainly been a lot better for her since she got her marks and sort of redeemed Diamond Tiara. I found myself becoming a bit nostalgic as she chatted about her school friends as my mind drifted back to when I was just a little kid in primary school.

Of course, that nostalgia was quickly broken as I remembered the horrible time I’d had in school, and how glad I’d been to see the back of the place. As bad as Diamond Tiara had used to be, at least she didn’t go around sticking foals heads in the toilets for fun.

We soon reached the section of the orchard that needed replanting. The felled trees had already been cleared away by Mac. He’d hauled the trees back to the barn, where he and I would chop them up for firewood, either to use, or maybe sell to Burnt Oak. He’d also done the hardest task, and pulled out all the jagged stumps that were left behind. For me, magic or no, there’s just no way I could do that without some help. Applejack and I had also done a couple repairs to some sections of the fences here too, since they’d taken some damage as well. The area now looked none the worse for wear. All that needed to be done, was to plant the new young saplings to take the place of the fallen trees.

“Okay, Apple Bloom,” I said as I unhitched myself from the wagon. “Let’s get to it. Where do ya want to start?”

Apple Bloom picked a spot fairly near to the fence line. As always, we’d plant the trees in rows, plugging the gaps where old trees had been felled. In a sense, it was a bit like how houses were rebuilt after the war. You’d often come across a street of ancient Edwardian houses, with a single more modern build sandwiched in between them, whose previous occupant had been destroyed during the Blitz. What we were doing was pretty similar, albeit with apple trees.

Having picked a spot out, I activated my magic and levitated Apple Bloom’s shovel over to her, while grabbing one for myself too. The two of us set to work digging a hole to plant the new sapling in. Getting through the turf was a bit of a challenge, but under that, the soil was fairly loose and easy to shift. Apple Bloom made fairly quick work of it. As she’s getting older, her innate earth pony strength is really starting to come in. She’s not far off me as it is; she already provides more than a challenge at hoof wrestling. I have no doubt that, by her early teens, she’ll be stronger than me, at least physically.

The hole didn’t need to be too deep; just enough to securely plant the tree and ensure that it’s roots could start latching into the surrounding soil. When we were finished, I carefully levitated over one of the new trees. They were all in plant pots, with their roots already growing at a fast pace. The packed soil in the pot also had a bit of fertiliser in it to promote growth. As I held it just over the hole we’d dug, Apple Bloom gently pulled away the plant pot, and then helped me gently set the tree in its new home. After that, it was just a case of covering the roots up and making sure it was all properly planted.

“There. That’s the first one done,” Apple Bloom said, taking a moment to look at the newly planted tree as its branches swayed in the wind.

“Eeyup,” I replied, mimicking her big brother. “Just twenty four more to go, AB.” Apple Bloom just rolled her eyes at me.


We spent the next few hours slowly plugging the gaps in the seemingly endless rows of trees. These young saplings wouldn’t be giving us any fruit for a while yet, but it was nice to see where the ancient patriarchs of the farm came from. And as well, I always liked planting new trees. It made me feel like I was leaving a mark. Someday, when I’m gone and turned to dust, these trees will still be here. I never believed in an afterlife; I always thought that it was our effect on the world that mattered, so to have something that would endure for years was nice.

Sorry, I’m getting a bit wistful, aren’t I? Apple Bloom and I steadily worked our way through the plantings. Slowly but surely, the number of potted saplings in my cart dwindled down, until there was only one left. As Apple Bloom finishing digging out a spot for it, I gently lifted it out.

“Okay, last one, AB,” I said as I gently lowered it into place.

“Can we go and see Zecora after this then?” Apple Bloom asked.

I took a look at the sky. Equestria doesn’t have wristwatches, so I tend to use the sun and moon’s position to tell the time when I’m out in the fields. Right now, it was probably somewhere around one. We’d stopped at twelve to have lunch; I’d brought some dandelion sandwiches out for us, since I expected us to be out here a while. The sun was past its high point and beginning its slow journey back down below the horizon. In any case, it was more than enough time to reach Zecora’s and get back before night. I may be okay taking AB to see her, but even I won’t go in the Everfree after dark.

“Yeah, sure. Ah s’pose we can go now,” I agreed. “Do ya need to get anythin’ from your room?” the filly shook her head.

“Zecora let’s me use some of her stuff when Ah come to visit. She says it’s safer than bringing my own out to her.” Smart move, I agreed.

“Alright then. We’ll hop the fence and start headin’ in now,” I said.

Lying down on my stomach for a moment, I let Apple Bloom climb up on my back, helping her hop over the fence that marked the edge of the farm. Beyond it lay the edge of the Everfree. It wasn’t too long ago that I was out here on my own in the evening, checking on the repairs to the fence, that I clocked a pack of timberwolves hanging around. I have a healthy respect for the Everfree and its many deadly denizens. Apple Bloom meanwhile, just merrily trotted on into the trees.

Hoping the fence myself, I quickly made to follow her. While I do agree with her about how Applejack can be just a tad overprotective of her, I’m still not going to let her put herself in any danger. As we trotted through the increasingly dense woodland, I kept one eye on my young charge, and the other on the trees. I could already feel at least one pair of eyes on us.


I still can’t work out what was going through Twilight’s head when she and the girls decided to take a trip through here, just for fun. Don’t get me wrong, the Everfree is a lot less dangerous than it used to be, partly due to Zecora’s presence, and also due to the restored Tree of Harmony. It’s still dangerous of course, but now it’s more like walking in the woods in the States. You have to watch out for bears, wolves, and other beasts, but as long as you keep your wits about you, there’s little to truly fear.

At least, that was what I was telling myself as I walked with Apple Bloom along the path. Personally, I’ve avoided coming in here as much as I can. I still remember trying to find my way through here in an unfamiliar body when we first arrived. It seems so long ago now too. Still, I had my horn and my magic, which would help if anything dangerous did cross our path. And the Ursa Major lived far deeper in than Zecora’s home.

In contrast, Apple Bloom, while still careful, seemed a lot more relaxed about the situation. I suppose when you know there’s no chimera waiting around the corner, and the cockatrice now knows not to harm ponies, there’s less to be afraid of. And she’s lived near to this place her whole life. It’s not that unusual to hear timberwolves howling late at night. For the first few months, that alone was enough to put me on edge.

But like I said, most creatures in the Everfree were like bees; don’t bother them and they won’t bother you. And my equine senses, far sharper than a human’s, allowed me to safely skirt around a few things. Honestly, if it wasn’t so dark and foreboding, I wouldn’t find the Everfree that unsettling.

Well, I suppose recent events had also left an impression. From what I was able to covertly gather from AJ, the girls had actually encountered their copies at various stages of their journey, which nearly caused a major falling out between them. While I knew Chrysalis to have fled, I couldn’t help but wonder where she had gone. Could she be within these very woods?

I started chatting to Apple Bloom to try and keep my mind away from such thoughts. I’m fairly sure half of the things I was afraid of were just me jumping at shadows. The filly was completely relaxed, as if she were taking a stroll through Whitetail Wood. I suppose her time with Zecora is partly the cause.

Before too long, we came upon the strange tree like hut that was the zebra shaman’s home. A light shone through each of the small porthole like windows. I was wondering on the way here if she might be out. Zecora can be quite nomadic at times, going deep into the Everfree for days at a time to collect rare herbs and plants. I knocked on the door with a hoof, and a moment later, the zebra herself answered.

“Apple Bloom!” she said with a smile. “This is a surprise. I was just about to leave my home in search of fresh supplies.”

“Hey, Zecora,” Apple Bloom replied cheerily. “Sorry Ah haven’t been to visit for a while. Ah’ve just been so busy crusadin’ and stuff.”

“I do not mind, child,” the zebra replied. “In fact, if you wish, you can help me pick flowers from the wild.”

Apple Bloom looked at me with a pleading expression that I’ve sadly not always found myself able to overcome. She can just turn the sad eyes on and off whenever she needs it.

“Alright, AB,” I said. “Ya can go with Zecora.” That was enough for her, and before I could tell her that she needed to stick close to the shaman, she’d scampered off into the trees like a deer. I turned to Zecora, who was about to follow her.

“Zecora, before ya go,” I said, catching her by the foreleg. “Ah wanted to ask, do you still have those remains from the other day?” Zecora’s eyes widened a moment as she nodded.

“Indeed I do. But in furthering my understanding, they provide little clue,” she replied. “The copies are no more, that is quite clear. But I find myself looking at that crystal tree, and shivering with fear.”

That I could understand. From her description of the event, after the six copies and Chrysalis had unequivocally shown themselves to be imposters, the tree had seemed to reach out, grabbing them all into magical tendrils, before seeming to drain the life out of them. It certainly didn’t fit with the somewhat enigmatic, but ultimately benevolent entity I had known before.

“Ah’m gonna head down to the Tree,” I explained. “Ah’m not sure what Ah can do, but Ah wanna see if Ah can work out what happened, and why.” Zecora frowned as she began to head off after Apple Bloom. But she left me with some parting words.

“Do not misunderstand, it is no more evil than fire. But if I were you, I would be careful not to draw its ire.”

Zecora could be like that. I always suspected she knew far more than she let on. So often, she spoke in riddles; ones that seemed so often to make no sense. But she was nothing compared to the enigmatic being I would soon meet.

Leaving both zebra and filly to go off on their own little adventure, I began to make my way towards the ancient Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, to use the building’s full title. One of these days, I must ask Luna what possessed her and her sister to build their home here. I can understand desiring space and being away from other ponies, but when you’re back garden is full of unspeakable horrors, the benefits tend to outweigh the cost if you ask me.

I knew the route fairly well. The path from Zecora’s to the castle was well trod, and the trail easy to follow. I was glad that it was still daytime. While the rest of the forest might be dark and foreboding, the castle itself is in a vast clearing and in daylight at least, is no more spooky than any castle ruin back home. Actually, the path I was now on was part of the very same one that I followed, along with my family, when we first arrived. I wasn’t too far away from where the rift had opened up.

Before too long, I emerged from the thick trees and found myself out of the woods on a patch of open grassland. In front of my stood the ancient castle. All I had to do was head down the stairs into the dried out moat, and there, nestled in an alcove, I would find the Tree of Harmony that had stood for over a millennia, growing from the seeds of the ancient Pillars. With no small sense of trepidation, I headed down the steps.


I soon found myself standing before the Tree of Harmony. I’d always felt a slight feeling of awe around it, but now, standing where Chrysalis had been, I felt a twinge of fear. I was reminded just how powerful the elements that sat within its branches were. I wasn’t really sure what I was doing here. I mean, even at the best of times, this strange, somewhat sentient magical object was cryptic enough. It was hardly likely that I’d be able to find anything.

I ended up just sitting down on my rump and staring at the glowing tree. I had so many questions for it. Why didn’t it interfere when Nightmare Moon or Discord returned? How did it know to provide that lock box to help defeat Tirek, and why didn’t it warn anypony beforehand? Why didn’t it do anything when the changelings occupied Twilight’s castle, since that was just an extension of itself? And why did it remain dormant during the Storm King’s brief invasion, without giving any warning beforehoof? And of course, most of all, what did it do to those copies of the Mane Six, and why didn’t it make any attempt to capture Chrysalis too?

I figured that really this trip to the castle had been a waste of time. While it never made its intentions clear, the Tree was clearly a force for good. It wanted to help preserve harmony in Equestria and even beyond. Beyond that goal though, I would be able to gleam little of its plan or motives.

Just before I left, I found myself reaching out with a hoof. I felt this odd desire, no, an almost childlike need, to touch the ancient gift from the Pillars of Old Equestria. It was like touching the wooden hull of the Victory, or dipping your hands in waters of the Sea of Galilee. The Tree was this ancient, mystical thing, like a spirit.

The moment my hoof made contact with the crystalline trunk, I felt something. Incredibly powerful magic touched me for the briefest instant, temporarily forcing my hoof in place. Seconds later, the tree itself began to glow brightly as it seemed to power up, awakening in some way. Once again, I felt more than a twinge of fear in my very soul. Perhaps understandably, I began to back away.

However, just as soon as the unsettling display began, it stopped. The tree returned to its normal, serene state, glowing and humming softly. I was about to go galloping off to find Zecora and tell her what had just happened, when I heard hoofsteps on the stone floor. A shadow appeared briefly behind the tree, and a moment later, a figure appeared.

It was Luna! The Princess of the Night seemed to step out from nowhere behind the tree. She looked different somehow. Her form seemed to shimmer and sparkle, as she wasn’t quite in focus. I couldn’t quite put my hoof on it, but something about her just seemed...off. Not wrong, or evil, just off, like it didn’t quite fit. She walked over to me, kind eyes staring into my own.

“Luna?” I asked perplexedly. “What...what are y’all doin’ out here?”

“You have questions,” she replied, her voice echoing and a little indistinct. “I am here to offer answers to you, the anomaly.” Okay, something wasn’t right here. Between the shimmering and odd behaviour, I had a feeling I wasn’t talking to Luna really.

“Anomaly?” I repeated. ‘Luna’ nodded.

“You are a stranger here,” she explained. “You do not belong. You and others fell through time and space.” She obviously meant our arrival through the rift.

“Ah am a stranger in this land,” I replied. “But the way to my old world was sealed away some time ago. So Ah must stay here.” ‘Luna’ nodded.

“I have seen that” she replied with a nod. “You are a creature of harmony; you are in balance. It is why I have taken this form to speak with you.”

“And, who are you, exactly?” I asked, half suspecting the answer, but not quite believing that it was possible. ‘Luna’ turned and gestured toward the Tree of Harmony.

“I only learned to take on this form a short time ago. As I have grown over time, I have learned, and become more than what I originally was.”

“You are the Tree of Harmony?” I asked, my voice barely a whisper. The Tree nodded.

“You came here seeking answers,” it went on. “Ask your questions, anomaly. And I shall do my best to answer them.”

And so, I had a sit and talked with the Tree of Harmony. I’m fairly sure that’s the most out there thing I’ve done at this point. While it isn’t a deity by any stretch of the imagination, the experience did feel somewhat like talking to God. I didn’t have to explain to much to it, the Tree seemed almost omniscient.

However, when it came to my own questions, such as the ones I talked about earlier, the Tree once again went back to being all evasive and cryptic. It answered my question, just as it promised, but only raised two more in the process. I wasn’t too surprised by that, although I was a little annoyed by it. Interestingly though, it told me something that allied with my own views on life in Equestria.

“There is much I can do,” the image of Luna said. “But I only interfere when it is necessary; when the time is right. Like the sun,” (Referring to Celestia). “I help ponies to discover the magic of friendship, I am not a weapon for defence, or a tool to solve all problems. The same could be said for you, anomaly. You had the chance to capture a great evil not so long ago, but you stayed your hoof. You understood that events had to follow their course.”

“Sometimes it is difficult to remember that,” I replied. “Ah want to warn my friends about Chrysalis, but we both know Ah can’t.”

It was then that a thought occurred. The Tree had, if you will, the script of what was to come in front of it. It knew the future due to its unique properties. Time was something it didn’t fully understand. I had to actually explain the concept of past, present and future. The Tree was a little confused by this, until it declared that ponies were ‘linear’. As far as it was concerned, everything had happened, would happen and was happening right now. It could return to any moment it chose, or advance to it as the case may be. I consider myself fairly smart, but even I couldn’t quite wrap my head around it. But what I did know, is that it knew what was around the corner, and over the next hill. It could give me a heads up. So I asked.

“You have knowledge of what is our future,” I said carefully. “Can ya tell me what the next great danger will be? You know I will not interfere.” The image of Luna however, shook her head.

“I cannot tell you,” it replied serenely.

“Why not?” I asked. “Y’all have told me so much already.” Now it nodded.

“I have told you what you would be told. You will not know what comes next, and so you do not know.” Well, that made perfect sense.

I think it meant something about predestination. As it experienced all time at once, everything was already laid out. It was just following the script, just as the show did. This meeting was supposed to take place, and I was supposed to ask about what the next big finale threat was. But the Tree was supposed not to tell me.

That was pretty much the end of our conversation. The Tree told me that I could not tell anypony about what had happened. That stung. I was already keeping ponies in the dark about Chrysalis, but now I had to also hide the fact that the Tree of Harmony was sentient and able to communicate? Still, as I said before, it was a case of better the devil you know. As painful as some days have been, good has always triumphed over evil in the end. And I have no desire to put that at risk.

Bidding goodbye to the strange being that I had conversed with for the last ten minutes or so. I watched as it seemed to fade back into the Tree itself. I felt somewhat reassured in a way. The Tree was now a little less mysterious in its motivations. But at the same time, it had become even more so. Taking one last look at the strange being that had so secretly thwarted the plans of the vile changeling queen, I headed back up the steps of the moat and made my way back to Zecora’s hut, where Apple Bloom was waiting for me.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sweetolebob18.

Sorry this is a day late, guys. I had to do overtime at work and only got around to posting it now.