• Published 3rd Aug 2018
  • 1,195 Views, 213 Comments

Magic on Sweet Apple Acres - Blade Star



Sequel to 'My Family and Other Equestrians'. Bones continues his life on Sweet Apple Acres. Helping the Apples' on the farm, studying magic with Twilight, and occasionally dealing with the odd, minor world ending catastrophe.

  • ...
9
 213
 1,195

Prologue - A Magical Farmer

My name is Blade Star. Bones to my friends. I’m not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination though. The nickname was given to me by my dad, mainly because my current appalachian accent is somewhat reminiscent of ‘Bones’ McCoy from Star Trek. And on one occasion, I said to him ‘Dammit, Dad, Ah’m a unicorn not a universal translator’. That pretty much sealed my fate, although I must admit, it has its charms.

And to be fair, Blade Star isn’t my real name either. I gave myself that name when my family and I found ourselves in the Everfree Forest, lost and deeply frightened. It was worse for me though, I lost my humanity in there. Through means that not I, nor Twilight or even the princesses can fathom, I was turned into a unicorn. I’ve been that way ever since, grey coat, blue mane and all, including my own cutie mark.

I’ve spent the last few years living on Sweet Apple Acres, a farm not too far outside the town of Ponyville, near Equestria’s capital of Canterlot. I originally stayed here as a guest until the princesses could send me and my family home. But when it became clear that we were all stranded here, it became a permanent thing. I now live and work on this farm, helping the Apple family harvest their namesake, as well as a variety of other crops, not to mention our famous cider.

It was also where I met my marefriend, Applejack. The two of us got along quite well when I first arrived, and I spent a lot of my time helping her out on the farm. Over time, our relationship changed. Well, for her it did. In the fashion of most males, I was entirely deaf to her advances until Rarity, ever the matchmaker, slapped me across the face and told me not to lead her on. It was actually quite a challenge for me. Being an asexual, I had no real interest in romance, which was only compounded by bad experiences in my youth. In the end, it took a visit from Princess Mi Amore Cadenza herself to help me see the light. Ever since, the two of us have been in a strong, albeit strange, relationship. We’ve been going steady for a few years now. Between you and me, i think parents on both sides are wondering when I’m going to pop the question.

Outside the farm, there is my other passion; magic. Transformed into a unicorn, I have the ability to cast magic myself. Twilight Sparkle, another princess, was kind enough to help me pick up the basics and prevent me from having to attend magic kindergarten at the age of twenty two. The young alicorn has also helped me with my own projects and research. I may not be powerful, but magic will always be fascinating to me, and I love studying all its varied aspects. With any luck, one day i may even get close to understanding the Elements of Harmony.

There is one thing I’ve left out, I suppose. I should tell you that I’m living in a world of fiction, although I suppose the magical technicolour ponies would be a bit of a giveaway. Well, it’s sort of true, I suppose. You see, back on Earth, I was very much a fan of MLP; a brony, to use the slightly cringeworthy term that fans have given themselves. Even before I came here, I could tell you that Celestia raises the sun every morning, and that pegasi control the weather. So imagine my surprise when I found myself in that world. It explains why I’m a little more adjusted than the other members of my family. Sorry, that sounds a bit conceited, doesn’t it? In any case, it made those first few days and weeks a little easier for all concerned. But it is a strange thing. I still wonder from time to time if I ever crop up in the show.

Speaking of my family, there’s three of them. My dad, Roger, has been working for Princess Celestia for a few years now. Like me, he was looking for work as soon as it became clear that we wouldn’t be heading home any time soon. He used to work as a solicitor back home, specialising in criminal law. As a result of that, and his impartiality as a human, Celestia offered him the position of legal advisor to her court. Essentially, he’s a walking, talking rule book for her to consult when she needs to. He’s also good friends with Discord; Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony and ever annoying thorn in my side.

Then, there’s my mother. She was actually happily retired before we wound up in Equestria. But after spending a couple weeks alone in her new home, she decided to go back to work. As a former teacher, she was able to get a job with Cheerilee at Ponyville’s schoolhouse. She’s good friends with the Cutie Mark Crusaders and has even helped the formerly evil Diamond Tiara deal with her psycho of a mother.

And then there’s my little sister, Elisabeth, with a S, but everypony calls her Lizzie for short. She was by far the most shook up by our unexpected trip to magical multicolour pony land. When we first met the Mane Six, she was all but petrified. Fluttershy however, managed to help her, and took her in during those early days. While Mum and Dad moved into their own place, having previously stayed in Twilight’s old library, she opted to stay with Fluttershy, who was happy to have a companion and somepony who would stand up to Angel.

So, that’s all of us. We live pretty good lives all things considered. But every now and again, fate or villains like to intervene.

And, yes, sometimes I do follow in the hoofsteps of Twilight Sparkle and screw up a spell.

These are some of those little, and not so little incidents.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sweetolebob18.

Hello, everypony, and welcome to my newest story; 'Magic on Sweet Apple Acres'. We're back with my first original character, Bones. I think it's easier to call him that, and it makes people less likely to cry self-insert. :twilightsheepish:

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the story as much as i enjoy writing it. At time of publishing, the story is by no means done. I plan to keep on trucking with this one through Season 8 at the very least.

i'll let you continue on to Chapter 1. Assuming you haven't already. Seriously, how many of you actually got this far down? :trollestia: