• Published 6th Feb 2019
  • 622 Views, 16 Comments

Creating A Hive - Authora97



The Stardust family is back in Ponyville. Morgan and Thorax have one Plan: make their new life work.

  • ...
2
 16
 622

Here’s The Other 40

Nightmare Moon was cackling.

I wanted to say my heart was beating rapidly in fear- that I was sick with worry and concern for my friend.

That I was internally sobbing.

But I wasn’t.

I just felt numb.

Luna didn’t want my tears.

She didn’t want to be remembered like this.

So I wouldn’t.

Nightmare Moon wasn’t worth the tears, anyway.

So that’s why, while Nightmare Moon laughed, I stood stoically beside Twilight.

“Luna! Think of how long you were banished to the moon!” Twilight yelled. “You’ll give us no choice but to send you back there if you don’t stop!”

“Luna, I will not fight you!” Past Celestia yelled, not acknowledging Twilight or myself. “You must lower the moon! It is your duty!”

“Luna? I am... Nightmare Moon!” The demented alicorn laughed back. “I have but one royal duty now: to destroy you!”

Celestia flew off through a hole in the ceiling.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Nightmare Moon taunted. She dashed after Celestia.

Twilight did too.

With a shoulder heaving sigh, I followed.

Well not followed-followed. More rather I sat on the edge of the hole in the ceiling.

I watched the Celestia of the past being chased by her darkened sister who was in turn chased by a panicking Twilight. The sisters were exchanging blasts all around, with mostly Nightmare Moon firing.

One shot hit.

Celestia screamed as she felt the blast. Though as silent on the fall past me to the floor.

“Celestia!” Twilight screamed. Nightmare Moon cackled again.

I held out my hoof to stop her from crossing the roof.

“Morgan!” Twilight yelled at me. She fought against my hoof. I had to fight a griffin every night so she’d sleep. I can hold back an alicorn. “She’s hurt! She- she could be-”

“In the past?” I prompted. Twilight blinked, still wearing an angry expression. “Because look at the castle, Twilight, really look. Is this the same castle from the Everfree? Is that where we are?”

“Yes!”

“Then why does it still look new?”

Twilight had no argument for that. She looked away from me at the surroundings herself. After a moment, she sat back on the ceiling.

“Come on.” I picked Twilight up. “I think she’s ready.”

Without waiting for a response, I flew us down to the ground.

Celestia stood up on her hooves. On her face was steely determination. “Oh, dear sister. I am sorry, but you have given me no choice but to use these.”

Twilight’s jaw dropped as the holder for the Elements rose from the ground.

“Are those the Elements of Harmony? But that’s how they looked in... the past.” Twilight looked at me. “This is the night Princess Celestia banished her.”

I nodded.

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Why didn’t- no, no. I know why…’I wouldn’t listen to you before. Why would I listen now’?” Twilight guessed.

I nodded again, solemn as Nightmare Moon flew in again.

In silence I watch as Celestia summoned the power of the Elements. In silence I watched as the rainbow flew towards Nightmare Moon.

In silence I felt Twilight put a hoof on my shoulder.


==CAH==


We came back to Ponyville to find everyone staring at us.

“Did I do something stupid?” I asked them. “Or worse, did Twilight?”

Applejack shook her head. “Nah...y’all were just...really quiet.”

“You were so quiet...We were really worried about you both.” Fluttershy agreed.

Discord appeared in a flash on a plunderseed vine.

“I for one found it exhaustingly boring.” Discord complained. “Liven it up a little!” He popped behind us, showing off a poster with the two of us dressed up in circus gear. “You two could be stars if put any effort into it.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at him.

“Did you find out whose rump we need to kick and where we can find them?” Dash asked.

“We saw something from a long time ago. But it didn’t explain what’s happening now.” Twilight admitted. She turned to me. “Raspberry...do you know?”

I glared at her. Twilight winced.

“We saw something that would be important for later.” I answered instead.

“Perhaps farther back still are the answers you seek. Another sip of the potion will give you a peek.” Zecora held up the vial.

“You sure about this?” Spike asked Twilight.

She took a sip. I followed shortly after.

Discord reappeared with a camera. “Remember, Raspberry, make it count this time!”

I rolled my eyes, smirking at him as I felt myself fade.


==CAH==


The world was a mess of colors and patterns, things set up in chaos.

I stood beside Twilight, actually grinning now.

“Oh, this is so much fun.” Discord of the past held up Celestia’s tail. “How about a game of ‘Pin the Tail on the Pony’?”

Celestia gasped at the sight of her tail. After a quick check to confirm it was indeed her tail, she glared at Discord. “Playtime is over for you, Discord.”

Discord was munching on the plunderseeds like they were sunflower seeds, though he was making an overdramatic mess. “Oh, I doubt that.” He crunched on another handful. “Hungry? Suit yourselves. Oh! What have you got there?”

“The Elements of Harmony.” Celestia answered. A glowing pink dome formed around her and Luna.

“With them, we shall defeat you.” Luna warned.

“This must be when they turned Discord into stone.” Twilight reasoned.

I sighed, flinging my arms up in the air.

“Morgan, what are you-”

“Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!” I sang dryly, standing up like a human and doing a kickline. “There. Obligatory friendship thing done.”

Twilight continued to stare in confusion.

Discord started laughing. “You should see yourselves right now. The expressions on your face. So intense. So sure of yourselves.” He began laughing, moving into the original pose of his old statue. The rainbow hit him. “Hilarious!”


==CAH==


The world around us in a flare of white.

Twilight gasped at the sight before us.

I’ll admit, even I was in awe at the Tree of Harmony. The shining branches were beautiful to see.

Luna gasped as well. “The Tree of Harmony.”

“The Tree of Harmony?” Twilight repeated. She stepped forward. “My cutie mark.”

“In the middle, yes.” I remarked while Celestia blaster the six point star. “Interesting, huh?”

“What does it mean?” Twilight asked me.

“What do you want that to mean?” I countered. “In regards to yourself, or rather are you asking what does it mean to the situation back in Ponyville?”

Twilight sighed, looking pensive.

“Are you sure?” Luna asked her sister.

“We have managed to discover the only means by which we can defeat Discord and free the citizens of Equestria.” Celestia explained. The Elements came out from the Tree, including Twilight’s Element from behind the cutiemark. “Even without these elements, the Tree of Harmony will possess a powerful magic. As long as that magic remains, it will continue to control and contain all that grows here.”

With the six Elements, the two Princesses flew away.


==CAH==


In a final white flash, we came back to Ponyville.

Spike rushed to Twilight’s side. “So what did you find out?”

Twilight turned to look at me. “What does it mean about what’s happening in Ponyville?”

“What did Celestia say about the Tree?” I quizzed.

“She said it had a powerful magic.”

“And?”

“And...and that it would control...and contain...the Everfree Forest.” Twilight answered.

“Then there lies your answer.” I sat back on my haunches. “Hey Discord, did I do a song and dance?”

He rolled his eyes behind his 3D glasses. “Yes you did.” He swallowed some popcorn. “While it wasn’t the most exciting, you get a C+ for effort.”

“Yes!” I congratulated myself.

“Raspberry!”

“Still paying attention.” I waved my hoof. “Just...keep on that train of thought.”

“So that means...something’s happened to the Tree of Harmony.” Twilight finished.

“The tree of what now?” Dash asked.

“It’s where Princess Celestia and Princess Luna found the Elements. I think it’s in danger.” Twilight explained.

“Well, all right then!” Applejack began, as everypony was in agreement of what they’d do next. “Let’s go save a... tree. Uh... where is it exactly?”

“I think it’s in... there.” Twilight pointed towards the overflowing forest.

“Ooh-hoo!” Discord squeaked in excitement. “I’m going to need more popcorn!”

“Save me some!” I asked before following after the others.


==CAH==


At the edge of the forest, the Mane 6 paused. In their defense, the Everfree Forest did look intimidating right now.

“Seems like only yesterday we were heading into these woods to find the Elements of Harmony.” Rarity reminisced.

“Seems like only yesterday I was foolish enough to think I should go after them on my own.” Twilight recalled.

“You were pretty stupid.” I added.

Twilight gave me an annoyed glare.

I gave her a smug grin back. “Admit it. That was a clever clue I gave you.”

“It was stupid.”

“We already established you were stupid.”

“No we didn’t!”

“Yes we did.”

“Ladies!” Rarity interrupted. “Perhaps there are more pressing matters to attend?”

Twilight’s cheeks went red.

I had control. So I turned my head so nopony would see.

“Right...ahem. I don’t know what we’re going to face in there.” Twilight turned to her friends. “But whatever it is, I know we need to face it together.”

Everypony nodded in agreement.

With that, we walked into the forest.

It was a few minutes later that we came across the lake. Twilight reached her hoof out towards the rocks poking out from the water. “We can use those to cross.”

“Or we could walk around it.” I suggested, making a move to do just that.

“It’s no worry, Morgan. This is faster-” She put her hoof down. The cragadile shot up. It snarled. Twilight screamed.

I let out a sigh.

“A cragadile! Run for your lives!” Rarity yelled.

The cragadile roared. It jumped out of the water, Twilight still on it’s back. My horn lit up with magic, dragging Twilight away to a safe distance. I leapt up, kicking the cragadile in the face. As I shot past I flew myself back onto his back. While it roared in annoyance, I brought my hooves together on the back of his skull.

Like a monster in a cartoon, it fell to the ground in a heavy thump. Swirls and butterflies circled around it’s skull, while it’s tongue lagged out on the ground and his eyes swirled.

I let out a grunt of annoyance, climbing off his back. The Mane 6 stared wide eyed at me.

“Do you girls have any idea how annoying it is to try to help you when all you do is not believe me?!” I asked, running a hoof over my mane. “Cause it’s really annoying! Especially because you’re being assholes!

They all winced.

“Morgan, we’re sorry-” Fluttershy began.

“No! You don’t speak! You’ll make me feel guilt!” I scolded her. “Because I didn’t tell you everything sooner or that I let this happen or that this entire time I didn’t tell you anything! That’s not how I work! I’m not honest and open like you girls! All my life it’s been secrets on top of secrets. So maybe- the next time I say we take a different path, you listen?” I ranted.

The Mane 6 only stared on, various jaws dropping and rising in attempts to find words. Words I gave them no chance to find.”

“Whatever. I’m going back to Ponyville.” I told them. Then again my word meant nothing so what was the point?

Teleporting back to the village was a quick journey. Much faster than the walk in, anyway, and was much faster so I wonder why Twilight hadn’t given it a try at the start.

I walked deeper into Ponyville. Using the Reality Bracelet, I got rid of any plunderseed vines that I saw.

Discord floated alongside me before long. He wasn’t eating popcorn anymore, a real drag if I’m honest (for once).

“Raspberry! Back so soon?” Discord commented. He glanced around the near empty Ponyville street, save for the vines scattered around. “And without-”

“Don’t. Start.” I snapped, fury growing in my chest with no real outlet besides him.

Well...except-

Discord was surprised at my tone. “Well somepony forgot their manners today.”

With the Bracelet, I lashed out with power on every branch in sight. They all burnt in bright yellow flames. The flames followed the specific vines down to their roots. Not even the ashes stuck around me.

Discord’s jaw dropped.

“Don’t start with me right now.” I cautioned, holding a hoof up to his face. The Reality Bracelet was still glowing as I lowered my hoof to the ground. It faded from sight once I touched back. “I’m- ugh! Just when I think they got over it- whatever. I’m going to clear my head, smash some shit. Be dramatic for twenty minutes. I’ll be fine it everypony just lets me be dramatic for twenty minutes.”

My peace made-hopefully letting Discord know this anger wasn’t at him, it was at them- I walked deeper into Ponyville.


==CAH==


By the time the Harmony-rainbow came through, a lot of the vines had been taken out.

Well except for this really stubborn one, that Discord was using for a lounge chair.

“Dude. Just let me kill it so I can move on with my day.” I insisted.

Discord sipped dramatically from a kiwi.

“Discord.” I warned. “That was more a ‘right now’ request.”

He harrumphed. “You know, I don’t even know why you bother helping those ponies. They never thank you or anything. All your years helping them, and what do you get in return? Distrust.” He sipped again, peering at me from behind a pair of sunglasses. “They’re so ungrateful.”

I blew a huff of air from my nostrils, it coming out like a bull’s. “I don’t need their gratitude. I need-”

“Yes, what exactly do you need?” Discord pondered.

“I don’t need anything.” I argued.

“Hmm, that’s not true. Look at you. Even when you’re angry at them, you’re cleaning up their messes for them.” Discord motioned to the vine he was lounging across.

I stomped my foot on the ground. “I’m not cleaning up their mess, I’m cleaning up your’s! I’m not being blamed-”

“They won’t blame you. You’re their friend.” Discord pointed out, not bothering to hide his annoyance at the less fun ‘f’ word. “Then again they have a funny way of showing that friendship, don’t they?”

“What do you want me to say!” I shouted at him. “That I want them to actually be my friends, instead of...of the person who helps them all the time? Who shouldn’t be afraid of getting her hopes up then being slapped in the face by the truth, because they all like me? Is that what you want me to say? WELL!?”

Discord’s magic flared. Suddenly I was sitting on a therapy couch, with a stress ball shaped like Twilight’s head in my hoof. The draconequus himself was still lounging in vacation wear.

“It’s not a bad place to start.” Discord mused, sipping on his kiwi.

The magic came through the city before I could say anything.

Discord fell to the ground with a thud. “Oh, poo.”

Now that, that got a relieved laugh out of me. “You idiot.” I punched his shoulder. “...you’re a good friend.” I praised.

Discord would deny it all he liked later, but the praise surprised him. He tried to brush away the affection with nonchalance. “This means those little ponies actually managed to save the day again. We should congratulate them!”

He flashed us away.


==CAH==


At the edge of the receding Everfree Forest, Discord set up a big party. I stood below him, watching at the Mane 6 sans Princesses walked out from the forest.

Party horns went off. The banners Discord made fell from branches, showing off poor drawings of the girls. Streamers rained down on our heads.

“Bravo, ladies, bravo!” Discord cheered. “How ever did you save the day this time? Blast the beastie with your magic necklaces, I presume?” Discord appeared on Applejack’s back, staring at their bare necks. “Where are those little trinkets of yours? You know, the ones you use to send me back to my extremely uncomfortable stone prison?”

Applejack sighed. “Gone.”

Discord gasped. “Gone? Gone?”

I pulled down on his beard. He followed it down. “You try anything, you deal with me.” The bracelet flashed warningly on my forehoof.

Discord shrunk down to a pinprick. Once he was barely taller than my head he gave me a thumb up.

“Now get up off your lazy butt to help clean.” I instructed.

“Fine.” Another flash, Discord was his normal size. Also dressed as a French maid. “But I don’t do windows.”

I chuckled. “You’re just annoyed you don’t have a window for yourself.”

“Need I remind you I already have a window?” He reminded.

“Yeah. Of you getting your butt kicked.” I teased.

Somepony tapped my shoulder. Turning around, I saw Applejack standing behind me with an uncomfortable look on her face.

“Yes?” I asked, keeping my expression passive.

Applejack shook her head, lowering it at my stare. “You were right, Morgan, and Ah’m so sorry. We weren’t treating you like a friend. We ignored ya when we shouldn’t have. We’re all sorry.”

Everypony gave strong verbal agreements, nodding their heads.

“A part of me is telling me, to not trust this apology.” I admitted to them. Applejack and Fluttershy winced. “That you’ll turn your backs on me again in an instant.” Dash and Rarity winced with them that time. “Or worse, that you don’t mean it and you’re just saying it so I’ll be by your side to tell you the future.”

“We wouldn’t-!” Pinkie tried to yell.

I put my hoof over her mouth. “Pinkie. I know that. It’s a small part of me. The logical side is saying you girls are actually sorry, which is why I forgive you.”

“Really?!” Pinkie gasped.

“Water under the bridge.” I brushed off.

The pink pony cheered loudly. She pulled me in for a hug, choking me. “This is amazing!” She cheered loudly. Moving away, she grabbed a party blower from her mane. She blew it out, confetti raining out of it.

Everypony laughed at it.

“One thing I don’t get.” Applejack asked while Pinkie climbed off me. “Why did all this happen now?”

“I have no idea.” Discord admitted, back to his usual wardrobe of nothing. “Those seeds I planted should have sprouted up ages ago.”

It was like a record screeched to a stop for Twilight. “What did you say?!”

“Oh, why should I try to explain it when you can see for yourself?” Discord asked, summoning the potion to view the past.

Twilight drank more. Her eyes flared white.

I leaned towards Fluttershy, who was closest to me now. “It looks weird from this side.”

“Oh, yes. It is weird.” Fluttershy agreed with a nod of her head.

“Well, obviously things didn’t go according to my original plan.” Discord explained to Twilight, while the others were unaware of what she was seeing. “My plunderseeds should have stolen the magic from the Tree of Harmony and captured Princess Celestia and Princess Luna thousands of moons ago. Alas, it seems the tree had enough magic to keep the seeds from growing up big and strong. Until now, that is.”

Twilight came out of the vision. “You realize this is information we could have used hours ago?!”

Discord gave her a smug eyebrow. Twilight blanched, turning to me.

“It’s all a big misunderstanding, that should’ve been fixed a long time ago.” I repeated myself, from all the way back in Canterlot. “Discord really should’ve fixed it when he was reformed, but I have a theory he forgot about them until this morning.”

Discord gasped. “How dare you! As if I would forget-”

“A second theory is that the repeated uses of the Elements over the years has drained the Tree of Harmony of it’s magic, somewhat.” I carried on like Discord hadn’t spoken. “The Tree powers the Elements, while the Elements also power the Tree. Like some kind of weird energy syncing. When the Elements were removed from the Tree to be given to you girls, it created a more permanent draining of the magic is used to hold back the plunderseeds. Or maybe it’s like when you charge your phone with a portable charger, and it runs out of power, but you’ll need the portable charger later so you have to plug it into something so you can use it again later. Yeah, it’s more like that.”

I beamed at Twilight. “None of that, of course, takes into the fact that Discord didn’t remove the seeds himself. Which is why I’m betting he forgot-”

“I told you I didn’t!” Discord argued, stomping his foot on the ground.

“Then why didn’t you stop them!” Twilight shouted.

“And rob you of a valuable lesson about being princess? What kind of friends do you think we are?” Discord asked her. He snapped his fingers, disappearing.

“Meh. I’ll see him later. Killjoy wanted to play Cards Against Humanity with him.” I admitted. Twilight was silent at that. “So...you found the Tree of Harmony?” I asked, idly.

Twilight swallowed. Spike pushed her forward. “Yes.”

“And it left the Seed?”

“Wait it’s some kind of seed?” Twilight’s face scrunched up on confusion.

“It’s gonna grow something...magical.” I informed. “Hence. Seed.”

“Okay...” Twilight’s eyes darted around nervously. “Right. Thank you, Morgan. Do...do you mind telling me where the keys are? Or what they look like?”

“They look like stuff.” I answered, giving myself a smug grin. Twilight groaned. “Really, Twilight, they look like normal everyday stuff. The six of you don’t look alike, but you’re still bonded as the Elements of Harmony. Why should these six keys be any different? They’ll be as unique and special as you.”

Twilight became less flustered at the admission. “Morgan. Are we okay?”

“Of course we are.” I put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Just...remember that, for later.”

“You-” Twilight began. “You know you’re not our friend just because you know the future, right?”

“Yeah.” I replied.

“It’s, it’s because we like you. And I’m sorry I kept ignoring you or yelling-” Twilight rambled.

I shushed her. “Twilight, we’ve got a bigger issue.”

She winced, then sighed. “What?”

“Your wings weren’t working as well as they should have today, so you still need to learn how to fly.” I reminded with a smile.

Dash cheered. “That’s right! And since the Princesses are back, the Summer Sun Celebration is back on!”

Twilight groaned, her head flopping down to the ground.

Everpony laughed.


==CAH==


Dash was right. With the Princesses back, the Celebration continued on as scheduled.

Thorax welcomed me (with our daughters attacking from the sides) when I returned to Canterlot. Killjoy filmed the whole thing on her phone. She had expected me to fall at the attack, but I was experienced with being tackled by my daughters.

The five of us sat in the front of the crowd. Lilac had her sketchbook- like she always seemed to have on claw these days. Cookie was eating animal crackers. Killjoy was idly tapping her hooves on the ground. We’d interrupted the game of Cards Against Humanity to drag her to this.

Thorax leaned against my side, relaxing into my wing as it stretched over his back. He kissed my nose. I kissed his cheek.

Killjoy gagged. Cookie giggled at her aunt. Lilac huffed at us all.

“Is this thing gonna start anytime soon?” Killjoy complained. I gave Cookie a quick look. She whacked her aunt on the head with a wing. “Ow!”

“Oh dear. We should help teach Cookie better control over her wings.” I remarked, completely not meaning it.

Killjoy glared at me, rubbing the back of her head.

“I did good, Mama?” Cookie asked.

“Perfect, Cookie.” I praised.

Thorax chuckled. “You’re being a bad influence on our kids.”

“Hey- Cookie got her wing to do what she wanted when it hit KJ. I’d say that’s an improvement.” I countered.

Thorax rolled his eyes at me, letting out a long suffering sigh. “Young ponies, always so ridiculous.” But his face was one of fondness.

“Hey. I’ve still got two centuries on you.” My wing squeezed him tighter to me. “You whipper snapper.”

He blinked, still wearing his fond expression but it had some confusion maring it. “What’s a whipper snapper?”

“A human idiom.”

“But what’s it mean?”

“...I have no idea.”

The two of us laughed.

The guards ponies blasted the trumpets.

Celestia and Luna walked up to the pedestal.

“Citizens of Equestria, it is no longer with a heavy heart but with great joy that I raise the summer sun. For this celebration now represents not the defeat of Nightmare Moon, but the return of my sister, Princess Luna.”

Killjoy leaned to my side. “How sadistic are these ponies? Every year they made Celestia celebrate banishing her own sister to the moon.”

I applauded with the crowd, still leaning towards my sister. “They’re all cruel bastards. Not only that, but they did something the same on Nightmare Night.”

“You right, you right.” Killjoy nodded as the sun began to rise.

Twilight flew up, leaving behind a starburst shaped like her cutiemark. It extended beyond the skyline, following the sun as it rose to it’s peak.

The crowd behind us cheered.

The three Princesses met back on the pedestal. Twilight exchanged a smile with the sisters before smiling back at the crowd.


==CAH==


As was usual at the Summer Sun Celebration, there was a proper celebration.

Though where exactly it was placed was difficult to answer. At my first guess, it was in the gardens. Second guess was that it was in the main hall, where we’d had Cadance and Shining’s wedding. Third was that it was just...an understood thing that everpony did.

Turns out it was just the entire city. Like a mockup of Mardi Gras, the whole of Canterlot was partying.

Granted there was a central location around where Celestia and Luna actually rose the sun/lowered the moon, but beyond that it was everypony for themselves.

Thorax and I were doing that annoying couple thing of exchanging food, mostly so Killjoy would take the girls back upstairs. It worked, but we didn’t stop feeding each other. The lie became too real...

We were saved from our own folly by Queen Thorne coming by.

“Thorne!” I cheered, rushing up to the changeling queen.

The Queen gave me a small side hug. “Hello Princess Morgan. Might I say, this was a wonderful spectacle.”

“Well thank you.” I bobbed my head at her. “I’ll tell Celestia and Luna that it was great.”

Thorne raised an eyebrow. “But not Princess Twilight?”

“Oh! Right. Her too.” I amended, giving a bashful grin. “Sorry- been a hectic day. Even I forget she’s a princess sometimes.”

“It’s an interesting development.” Thorne agreed. “She will stay in Ponyville, I heard? Rather than in Canterlot?”

“Ponyville is where her friends are.” I explained. “Why would she be anywhere else?”

“I suppose it’s just my old prejudices.” Thorne admitted. She brushed back a lock of her red mane. “Despite being in that shell, I am still from a time long ago. I am used to the royalty of Canterlot all being in one place. It...disquiets me to see them all so spaced apart.” Her expression went dower. “My mother and sister would see that as an advantage.”

My hoof went to her shoulder. “Hey. Those two come sniffing back, I’ll kick them to the moon myself.”

“They’re my family, I should-”

“With me and Thorax together, that makes us family.” I corrected her. “Chrysalis is my mother-in-law, by changeling law. You think I’m happy about that?”

It brought a laugh out of the Queen, so that’s a victory for me.

“I’ve always got Equestria’s back.” I assured her. “Anything that wants a piece of her has to go through me first.”

That comment made the Queen hum. “Your husband is right. You’re a workaholic.”

My cheeks went red. “Coltfriend, actually. We...haven’t made it official by my people’s standards yet.”

Thorne’s eyes widened. “You said it had been six years for you, eight for Thorax.”

“Yeah...”

“And you still haven’t made it official to your people?”

“...no.” I shook my head. “It’s complicated. A lot of laws, and stuff. And he doesn’t actually exist back Home so that’s a- aha, this is awkward. Hey where did my coltfriend go?”

Thorne had no chance to respond. I ran off toward the snack table.

Thorax was there, dipping strawberries in a chocolate fountain. “Babe. It’s chocolate. And it’s a fountain.

His cute statement made me smile. “Great...great...I love these things.” Picking up a strawberry, I dipped in into the fountain. “Hey have you heard from the Princesses about the changeling thing yet?”

“Thorne didn’t say anything?”

“Nope.”

“Then nothing’s happened.” Thorax reasoned with a shrug. “Hey when do you think we should get back? Discord sounded excited to play Cards Against Humanity with you.”

“You just don’t want to be dragged in.” I countered, flicking his nose with a second strawberry.

He snorted, pulling his nose away. He shook off the sensation. “Your sister is a psychopathic killer, but you are the mother of my children. I hate playing that game with you. You’ve got a messed up brain.”

“Hey Killjoy earned that black card. I told you, Michelle Obama’s arms made more sense for a new fab diet than AIDS.

Thorax scoffed. “Sadistic cruel human.”

I laughed at him. Thorax joined in a moment later.

Across the field, Twilight watched me with hesitation. I wouldn’t ever learn that she’d been arguing with herself about coming to talk to me, or Thorax, or us both. That something about what she saw with the Tree of Harmony had shaken her. Something she was certain I hadn’t seen.

Because I wouldn’t find out for a while, that the Seed had seven keys.