• Published 8th Jun 2018
  • 9,538 Views, 177 Comments

Anon Begins - 23 KM To Nerdiness



If you were thrown into a world of technicolor ponies, what would you do?

  • ...
52
 177
 9,538

Chapter 23: The Surprise

Ah, yet another peaceful morning in Equestri-AAH!

Your good friend sunlight has returned to warmly greet you.

Pun intended.

Suck it.

It's been two days since your dear player's funeral. You're still a little torn up about it, but thanks to your best pal Starlight, you went from a grieving child to a coping man-child.

Today, you're gonna mare man up and get your cray cray life back on track. You toss on some clothes and head off to work.

The day was pretty average at the school. Although, it's strange how, even though you were gone for just a day, there have been alot more rooms than you usually clean piling up that Twilight would assign you to handle. Punishing to say the least.

There are other janitors at this school, ya know!

Anyways, you're going through your routine jam-free sweeping down the corridor, when you see a group of students having a conversation.

When they spot you, they tone it to a whisper, occasionally glancing back.

Okay then... you think.

From what you managed to hear, their talk had something to do with you. Not wanting to be THAT guy, you move on with your business...

Which is a little difficult considering how everyone is staring at you when you pass by, either in shock or awe.

Especially Pinkie.

Eventually, you run into your dragon bro, who's talking to a group of student dragons. Upon seeing you however, he hurriedly drags the group towards you.

"And here's the big guy himself." Spike presents like you were some kind of museum exhibit.

All the other dragons ooh'd or ahh'd like Mystery Shack tourists, eyeing your form.

"Go ahead, Anon! Tell them about how you kicked Garble's-MMH!"

You clutch the squirt's mouth shut as Applejack trots by, looking suspicious.

"Yeah, sounds fun, we should do that some time!" you chuckle, taking the conversation off-topic.

AJ tilts her head in confusion as she leaves the scene before you release the dragon's mouth.

"What was that for?" Spike huffs.

"Ya know, next time don't tell my amazing heroics in front of the girls, 'kay bro? Also don't lie kids, stay in school."

"But we're already in school." one of the dragons point out.

"Exactly," you chuckle tossing a tooth you knocked out of the jerk dragon into the claws of one of the students. "Here, tooth of Garble. Don't use it all at once."

While the rest crowd around to observe the proof, you lean in close to Spike.

"Is It me, or is everyone acting strange today?" you whisper.

"U-Um, I don't know what you're talking about." he utters nervously. "Everything seems perfectly fine to me."

It's honestly sad how horrible these creatures are at lying, and your bro is no exception.

"Okay then......I'll just get back to work."

"Oh, see ya, Anon."


Lunchtime.

Once again, the feeling of everyone's eyes on you continues to plague your paranoid mind. As you're eating a salad, Pinkie bounces to the seat next to you, struggling to restrain her inexplicable excitement.

"Soooo, what are you doing later today, Nonny?" she asks, eyes rubbing against your head.

"Eh, nothing much," you shrug, delicately pushing the mare's pupils back into their sockets. "Probably take a power nap or something, find a book on PERSONAL space."

"Great! By the way, what's your favorite dessert?" she asks.

"Well, I don't really have an all-time favorite dessert, but there was this one treat from my world, birthday cake ice cream."

"Uh huh- wait, YOU CAN MAKE ICE CREAM AND CAKE INTO ONE?!?!" she shrieks, jotting down the notes at lightning speed. "That is SO going on my treats list!"

"Heh, haven't had that stuff in years. Why do you ask? Are you getting inspiration for those 'experimental' confections of yours."

Your stomach churns upon reminiscing that dreaded morning.

"Hee, something like that. Okay, BYE!"

And just like that, she was gone.

Alrighty then...

Sometimes you wonder if that cotton candy-haired psycho is even a pony at all.

Afterwards, it's near final bell and you're wiping down the dusty top shelves in the school's library when you suddenly spot a fuzzy little, bug-eyed spider. Like any logical individual, you're terrified of them and prepare to smash the thing into powder until you see Fluttershy nearby overhead looking for a book.

"Hey, Fluttershy, is this s-spider yours?" your voice cracks.

The timid pegasus glides down to inspect the insect and her ears perk up.

"Oh, there you are Lucas." she quietly exclaims delicately picking him up.

"Lucas?" you utter.

"I was looking for the little guy all day." she states.

Sad how a pony, as shy as she is, is less afraid of spiders than you.

"Okay, Rarity needs you and the others in her classroom, i-if it's not too much trouble." she whispers.

'Lucas' nods and scurries off inside the bookshelves before momentarily returning with a wave of small spiders that crawl their way down the shelves like a waterfall towards the door, startling students passing by. The sight alone almost made you lose your grip of the ladder and faint, so you call it a day.

"A-Anyways," you shudder. "Fluttershy, have you noticed everyone's acting weird?"

The pegasus's eyes widen and dart all over the place.

"U-Um......I don't know what you're t-talking about. Everything seems p-perfectly fine to me." she says, hiding her face under her mane.

"Okay then, see ya." you utter, sliding down the ladder.

I'm gonna get to the bottom of this mess.

Soon, you follow the army of eight-legged monsters to Rarity's class where the mare is directing the crawlers around something behind a curtain.

"Now just a tiny little knit there, Darling. Oh, this'll look stunning!"

"Afternoon, Miss Rarity." you greet. "How's your day going?"

"Oh, A-Anonymous! What a surprise to see you." she says nervously. "I-I'm doing fine, just making finishing touches to an outfit."

While keeping a straight smile, Rarity slowly tugs the curtain over, blocking the "outfit" from your view.

Third time's the charm.

"I was just wondering what everyone's deal is. Is everyone hiding something?"

Um......I don't know what you're talking about. Everything seems perfectly fine to me.
"Um......I don't know what you're talking about. Everything seems perfectly fine to me."

Knew it. What's up?!

"Great," you nod. "No doubt that outfit'll look fabulous, by the way."

"Oh, you have NO idea." she adds confidently.

You roll your eyes before leaving the room.

The bell rings and the halls were flooded by students in the blink of an eye. After the place clears, Rainbow and AJ cross your path, whispering to each other.

Not wanting to go through that routine again, you turn heel and leave to put your gear away.


This whole day did nothing but give you Truman Show vibes with these ponies. Right now, your strolling down the road out of the school when the walkie buzzes.

"Anonymous!" a voice yells under loud winds.

"Doc, is that you? What's going on?" you ask in concern.

"It's- excuse me for a tick! Miss Hooves, you can turn it off now!"

"Okay!" Derpy yells.

The blowing sound steadily dies down.

"Ah, much better. Anonymous, I have great news." Whooves states.

"Hit me with it, doc."

"We have successfully fixed the portal ray!"

You stop in your tracks, mouth hanging.

"Y-You're kidding, that's great!" you say ecstatically. "I'll be there as soon as a possible."

"Glad to hear. Soon you'll be with your friends..."

Suddenly, your mind flashes to your dance-off at your "Welcome to Equestria" party, to your surfing race with the Crusaders and the "history" lesson with Cheerilee's class.

"Your family..."

Then it flashes to your bonding time with the Apple family's reunion.

All the while your cheesy grin slowly fades away.

"Yeah, can't wait..." you sigh unenthusiastically.

Out of nowhere, a brown and white dog collides with your legs, jumping on you in excitement.

"What the......Winona?" you ask kneeling to pet the canine. "What are you doing here, girl?"

"BARK!" she yips happily.

There, you notice a little note attached to her collar.

Meet me at Town Hall!

:pinkiehappy: ~PP :pinkiehappy:

P.S. :

Under the words was a flap taped down that spontaneously pops open, throwing confetti in every inch of your face.

Then it hits you. Unlike the confetti.

Your friends acting skittish, Pinkie asking what your favorite dessert was, everyone being secretive...

Surprise party. Typical, but I'll play along.

"I'm.....gonna have to call you back, Doc." you chuckle before heading into town with Winona.

As you walk through Ponyville, you could tell how abnormally empty it was.

"Dang, it's like a ghost town here, isn't it Winona?"

Winona pants profusely.

"Oh. Forgot some creatures can't talk like the rest of everypony."

Kinda inconsistent, to be honest...

Finally, you reach the Hall where you are greeted by the Cakes of all ponies.

"Anonymous, what brings you here?" Mrs. Cake asks innocently.

"Um, Pinkie asked me to meet her here? I think it's a party of some sort."

"Odd. Haven't seen her all day." Mr. Cake states.

Then the scent of cotton candy perfume consumes your nose.

"Oh, really now?"

You casually walk around, examining the area.

"Shave and a haircut." you hum tapping the side of the Hall's walls in rhythmic succession.

Nothing but silence.

You creep your way to the doors leading inside.

"Shave and a haircut."

Nothing still.

"Um.....what are you doing, exactly?" Mr. Cake asks.

"Oh, just checking to see if Pinkie was here. We have this jingle she ALWAYS responds to. But if she's not, I'll just-"

As you turn, a small lone red present on a nearby table jumps a little.

You lean on the table, tapping to the beat as the box rattles violently.

"Shave and a haircut..."

The box bursts open, confetti and balloons everywhere and the hyperactive mare leaps from the spectacle.

"TWO BITS!!!" she sings out loud.

Suddenly everypony in town jump from their hiding spots yelling "SURPRISE."

Shoot, the whole town's here!

Everypony cheers as Pinkie jumps around you.

"So, how's your surprise Nonny? Are you surprised, huh huh huh?!" she asks at a hurried pace.

"Well...I'm surprised you could fit in that box, first of all." you point out.

"Meh, it's not that hard." she shrugs off.

"And I'm kinda shocked the whole town came."

"Why WOULDN'T they come? You're a fun 'hyewmun' to be around Nonny!"

"And a good friend." Twilight warmly adds.

"Twi, what's all this for?"

"We came up with this party as a thank you for being such a super duper friend!" Pinkie states.

She stops herself mid-air and backs away, remebering her promise. Before she could react, you pull the mare into a tight hug.

"It's okay. Consider our promise done for."

The shocked pony returns the hug.

"Eh, Pinkie summed it up." AJ states. "Ya are a pretty good pal." AJ adds.

"And you have a keen eye for fashion." Rarity inserts, handing you a suit made from the spiders.

"But YOU made them."

"And? What's the problem?"

You shake your head as Rainbow grabs you in a choke hold.

"AND you're a pretty decent challenger." she laughs.

"I could take you on any time, any place Dashie." you say, giving the pegasus a wet willy.

"I don't know what Rainbow's talking about, you're AWESOME!" Spike retorts.

"......yay." Fluttershy says quietly.

It wasn't much, but you could listen to that mare say "yay" for hours, it was so cute.

"Anon? Are you cr-"

"No!" you tearfully blurt out in defense. "I-I just wanna......punch a wall to assert my manliness."

Soon, the six ponies and dragon huddle around you for a group hug.

Urgh! They're making it WORSE!!!

"T-Thank you." you say wholeheartedly. "Thank you all. You have absolutely NO idea how much this means to me. It's a great honor to have you all as my friends."

"Well I'm glad to hear that." a voice calmly says.

Suddenly, everypony in the area bows down, eyes closed.

The girls and Spike smile, staring at something behind you.

Hesitantly, you turn to see a tall, white alicorn with a perpetually flowing mane, almost like Princess Luna's. Could this be...?

"P-Princess Celestia?" you utter meekly.

"Hm, that would be I. And you must be Anonymous, I presume?" she asks.

Please don't shit yourself, please don't shit yourself, please don't shit yourself!

"T-That I am, your majesty. A pleasure." you elegantly say with a bow. "I apologize for putting you through Twilight's bombardment of letters about myself."

"I said I was sorry!" Twilight yells in the background.

"It's quite alright. My faithful student is known for things like that."

The egghead rubs her neck in embarrassment.

"But it's nice to see newcomers making friends so easily."

"Yep. Had a pretty good teacher for that."

Twilight blushes, looking at the ground.

Jesus, you and Sunbutt are putting this mare on an emotional rollercoaster ride!

"Well, I just came to give the first 'human' visitor here an Equestrian welcome." Celestia states before walking into a chariot with two pegasi at the reins. "I'd stay and talk but I have my royal duties to attend to. I hope to see you again soon, Anonymous."

You give her another bow as the chariot ascends into the sky, towards the faraway castle in the horizon.

Soon, everypony stomps in applause before socializing and partying in your honor.

Everything was perfect.

But then, you felt like something was missing...

"Where's Starlight?" you ask looking around.

"Right here!" the aforementioned unicorn teleports in, handing you a light red velvet present.

Whatever was inside packed alot of weight into it, though. You slowly tear away the wrapping paper before cracking the lid. There, your eyes were at the edge of falling out of your holes and you nearly pass out from excitement.

Right there, in your lap, is your player, good as new.

"Surprise!" Starlight exclaims.

You're a blubbering fidgeting mess right now.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" she asks in anticipation.

You look at your fixed player and delicately push play.

"H-How?" you utter, too touched for words.

"Me and Starlight MAY have pulled a few 'magic' strings and, voila!" Twilight states proudly.

"E-Excuse me a sec."

You rush behind Town Hall, and pull out your walkie. Before you could call Whooves, you look out to everyone in attendance, having a good time and dancing to your jams.

[You fool, what the hay were you thinking?!]

"Doc? A change in plans. I think I'll...stay here for a while, maybe even longer."

"I'm honestly glad you said that, old chap. I enjoyed doing experiments and making gadgets like the one's in your world." Whooves states.

"So, does that mean you will be staying?" a voice asks.

"Of course!"

"Brilliant!"

You pause and see a grinning Twilight looking at you.

"Ooh, how long did you know?" you wince.

"Ever since the day you asked me what raritanium was." she says, waving a walkie in her magic. "You do know I hear everything you guys talk about on this, right?"

You facepalm as the alicorn wraps you in a tight hug.

"But hey, it's fine as long as you never, ever, ever, ever, EVER lie to me and take my assistant to the Dragon Lands without my permission again." she cheerfully says, aggressively squeezing you with every 'ever'.

"N-Noted." you grunt.

Twilight releases you and you go back to the party.


That night, you say your goodbyes and condolences to those who tried the experimental pie and hit the hay.

In your dream world mindscape-whatever, you are in a bizarre version of Ponyville with floating buildings and raining apples when a deep raspy voice echoes through the world.

"It's been a long time, son."

That voice.

It sounded like something you thought you'd never hear.

"P-Pop?" you stutter.

Soon, an elderly man baring a close resemblance to you morphs into view. "The one and only." the old man chortles.

You rush at him at pull him into a huge hug.

"I thought I'd never see you again! How'd you get here?" you frantically spew questions.

"Whoa, whoa! One at a time, son. Still hate babblin', even in death."

"I-I'm sorry. I just missed you so much. My life was a mess when you left."

"It seems you're doin' just fine on your own." he says, looking at a memory of you with your new 'friends'.

"Y-Yeah. It's a long story."

"And it's a story that deserves a new chapter." he states wisely.

Thank you, Mr. Miyagi.

"I know ya hate those 'clichéd' lines but I'll always be with you. Right. Here." he states pointing at your chest.

#E.T.forthewin!

"About time to start a new chapter in your life."

You wrap him in another tearful hug.

"I don't even care about them anymore." you chuckle, wiping your face.

"Why don't you play us a song for ol' time's sake?" he asks.

"Gladly."

You reach down for your player and push play.

"Perfect choice, son." he says warmly.

You two stay in that tight embrace as everything fades around you.


The next morning, your dragon bro eagerly awakens you.

"Anon, wake up! The girl's are having a picnic later. It'll be fun!" he says ecstatically.

You limp out of bed, chuckling at the dragon's child-like energy.

As you two leave, you see Twilight and the others waiting by your door.

"You coming?" Starlight asks expectantly.

"Absolutely."