• Published 2nd Jun 2018
  • 7,431 Views, 56 Comments

Stiff Wings - desolate_account



What's one of the more embarrassing things you could ever have happen to you? Getting a wingboner in front of all your friends seems pretty high on the list. Twilight is of course grateful for her wings, but they do have their downsides.

  • ...
7
 56
 7,431

Stiff Wings

Twilight knew at that moment her life was over. Surely embarrassment would soon consume her soul and she’d be swallowed by the memories of what had just transpired. The alicorn buried her face in her pillow, as if it would somehow snuff out the fiery blush filling her cheeks. For the fiftieth time in the past half hour, Twilight groaned inwardly to herself. She entertained the thought that maybe she could just not leave her room. But even as frazzled as she was, the princess knew she couldn’t hide forever.

The purple mare growled and looked back to inspect her wings. “Yep..” She sighed “Still flared.” At this point, she’d had her feathered appendages for a while. But she had only experienced a so-called ‘wingboner’ a few times. And not once had others been around to witness it. Previous attempts had proved futile, but still the alicorn reached towards her back and tried to push her wings down forcefully. However when she touched the feathers, her wings would only shudder, twitch, and stiffen more. It was in all honesty really uncomfortable. Not just the feeling of not being able to move her wings, but also the heat in her core she was beginning to feel extremely aware of. “Oh for love of-”

It was then that Twilight’s ears perked to the sound of wings flapping down her castle halls. The flapping was far too rapid to be Fluttershy. Which meant that in all likelihood, Rainbow Dash was looking for her. It’d only be a matter of time until Twilight’s athletic pegasus friend burst through her bedroom door to get a second eye full of her spread wings and a laugh at how awkward Twilight felt about the situation. Granted, Twilight knew that such a thing was beyond her control. It was simply her body reacting to stimuli. As an adult, hormones were bound to get the best of her on occasion. It shouldn’t have been embarrassing. But these kinds of things always were.

She didn’t have much time to think, so Twilight settled for covering herself with a couple blankets and hiding under her pillowy fortress. She briefly considered locking the door. But to lock the lock would only serve to worry anypony who came to find her. That and Twilight could very easily imagine Rainbow Dash forcefully kicking down her door if push came to shove.

Just as the purple mare suspected she would, she soon heard a tentative tapping on her door that non surprisingly turned out to be Rainbow's knocking. From the other side of the wall came Dash’s raspy voice. It wasn’t mocking like Twilight had worried it might’ve been. Rather, it sounded kind of hesitant. Which felt extremely jarring to hear from the blue pegasus. “Hey Twi? You in there?”

Should she just ignore her friend? Maybe Dash would take the hint and leave her to wallow in her less than ideal situation. But no, she was the element of loyalty for a reason. If Rainbow felt Twilight needed a talking to, she wasn’t going to leave without getting the job done. Which she made perfectly clear as she again spoke up from outside the princess’s room. “Okay Twilight, if you’re in there, I’m coming in alright? So just like… be cool, okay?”

With that, Rainbow Dash gingerly opened the door. The creaking of its hinges alerted Twilight to this. “So um… How’re your wings doin’?" Oh fantastic, right out the frying pan and into the fire. She just had to open with that, didn’t she?

The only response Twilight could muster through the pillows, blankets, and the suffocating weight of her chagrin was a muffled groan. What made it worse, was that she absolutely knew her twitching wings were visible through the blanket cover. Knowing as much simultaneously sent heat to her stiffened feathers, her flustered cheeks, and though she hated to admit it to herself, other less appropriate areas.

“The girls were wondering if you maybe felt like coming out?” While Twilight could definitely hear a thread of amusement in Dash’s voice, moreover she sounded legitimately concerned. “Starlight said she was gonna come find you but uh…” Rainbow scratched the back of her head awkwardly, managing a smile. “I thought maybe it’d be better if somepony with wings talked with you first. Flutters had to go take care of something, so I figured I might as well.”

At this, Twilight peeked out from under her hiding place. If not for the fact she was clearly a mare with a horn, she could've easily been mistaken for Big Macintosh her face was so red. Through pursed lips and an unprecedented amount of self induced cringe, Twilight managed to speak. “Thanks Rainbow. Though as you can imagine I’m not really in the mood to socialize.”

Rainbow Dash chuckled. Under her breath she took a small jab at Twilight's issue. “Heh, nah. You look like you’d like to do a bit more than socialize.” The pegasus joked. But she was fast to apologize when she caught the icy glare it earned her.

“Rainbow… please just let me sit here until my wings calm down. Your being here isn’t making it any better.” That came out a little more suggestive than Twilight had meant it to.

Rainbow knew what she’d meant. But she couldn’t resist the opportunity to have a little more fun at the alicorn’s expense. “Oh? My being here is making your wingboner worse? Should I be flattered?” Dash smirked at the incredibly amusing expression that crossed Twilight’s face at that remark.

“You know that’s not what I-”

Rainbow Dash held up a hoof and hurriedly cut Twilight off. “Yeah, yeah. Not what you meant.” Dash offered a warm smile to the pony cowering under her sheets. “You mind coming out from under there? I just wanna talk. I swear you don’t have to be embarrassed.”

Twilight opened her mouth to argue. Then upon realizing there wasn’t a point, she gave a hefty sigh of defeat. She simply nodded and began sitting up out of bed. She felt her temperature rising when Dash not so subtly let her focus drift to her open wings. The pegasus seemed a little taken aback. Not out of sheepishness or disgust or anything of the sort. Just plain and simple surprise. “Wow..” She muttered, her gaze scanning Twilight’s feathers. “You’ve got it real bad, huh?” The purple mare couldn’t quite bring herself to look her friend in the eyes. “You’ve had this happen before, right? Why’re you acting like it’s the end of the world?”

Twilight shook her head. “Well sure, it’s happened before. But never in front an audience Rainbow! This isn’t the sort of thing you want happening in front of your friends. The first time it happened, I had a general idea as to why. Just to be safe though, I did confide in a few books on pegasus anatomy and such. I know it’s just my brain making my body feel all… y’know… but still…”

Rainbow Dash took a seat next the Twilight. She did so slowly and carefully. It was unlike Dash to be so gentle about anything. Twilight supposed maybe she was trying her best to make her feel comfortable. Difficult, given the circumstances. But appreciated nonetheless. “So erm…” A rosy tint crept onto Rainbow’s cheeks. “What’s got you all hot and bothered? You seemed fine for a while there. Then all of a sudden you got all red and wingboner-y.”

Twilight shifted uncomfortably where she sat. “To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I mean… I’m sure you know as well as anypony else that sometimes it just sorta happens, right?” Rainbow thought about it for a second. There had been times where she’d woken up with stiff wings. But luckily for her, she wasn’t too prone to random feathery hard-ons. That said, the pegasus had absolutely heard of wings just suddenly freezing up. Often with no noticeable catalyst or cause. With that in mind she nodded at Twilight’s somewhat rhetorical question. “Right…” Twilight continued. “So I’m not sure if there was a reason… Maybe cause it’s been a while since I’ve um…” At that thought, Twilight’s red-face intensified and her wings pricked out a little more.

It took all of Rainbow’s self control to neither snicker at Twilight’s discomfort nor stare at the fidgeting pair of fluffy wings on Twilight’s back.

Twilight both cleared her throat of its hesitancy and her mind of unwanted thoughts. “A-anyways” she began with a stutter. “Point is, I don’t know why it happened. It just did. And in front of all my best friends. So I’m sure you understand my wanting to be left alone until I calm down.”

Rainbow Dash shrugged nonchalantly. “Right. Makes sense I guess. Just wanted to check on you and make sure you weren’t in here bashing your brains out over this.” Dash began lifting herself up off the bed and into the air. She hovered stationary just over Twilight’s head. “Just so y’know… I’ve had my fair share of experience with this stuff. Even the awesome aren’t immune to these things. If you ever want any advice about anything, feel free to ask. Or like… not even just awkward wingboner type advice. Any question you’ve got about your wings or whatever else. I know you’re pretty used to flying by now. But this is all still relatively new for you.”

Twilight would be lying were she to say she weren’t mildly surprised by how genuine Rainbow sounded with that. She wasn’t quite sure what to say. So a small smile and nod sufficed.

Rainbow grinned down at her friend. With that, she turned to make her leave. She reached the door before quickly facing back with a smug little smirk plastering her lips. “Oh, before I go. Pinkie told me to tell you that you’re awful cute all flustered and hard-winged. And I thought you’d like to know that soon after you ran off, Fluttershy got stiff wings too. Hehe” Dash giggled and shot Twilight a teasing look. “You’re pretty popular Twi. Try not to feel too embarrassed.”

Rainbow Dash exited the room. It took a moment or two for Twilight’s brain to catch up to what Dash had just said. But as soon as her brain processed the new information… Her wings got even stiffer.

Author's Note:

I'm not super sure if I'm satisfied with how this one turned out. But I wanted to write something involving wingboners that wasn't a clopfic. Idk, at least I managed to get something written. Damn writers block.

Oh well, hope you enjoyed reading about awkward and aroused Twily. :twilightblush:

Comments ( 55 )

Wonder if Spike will experience that problem too but more side-effect-y?

D'awww, this was pretty adorable actually. I can relate to random boners -nods sagely-

And I thought you’d like to know that soon after you ran off, Fluttershy got stiff wings too. Hehe” Dash giggled and shot Twilight a teasing look. “You’re pretty popular Twi. Try not to feel too embarrassed.”

:rainbowlaugh:

8961914
That's a relief. I, as someone who personally doesn't have a dick and therefore doesn't actually know what boners feel like was a little worried I'd fuck this up a little. But it's relatable, which makes me happy.

And thanks, I was going for something on the cuter side. :twilightsmile:

That was adorable, and it could easily be more than just a one-shot.

Short, sweet, and wingheartwarming

Be ready, Twilight. There's plenty more where those came from.

So ... if Pegasi are prone to getting random "wing boners", how many of them fall to their deaths each day? :twilightoops:

8962119

Pretty sure that wing boners don't happen during flight.

Edit attack!

her wings would only shutter

shudder

Twilight peaked out

peeked

Twilight opened her mouth the argue

to

I did confine in a few books

confide

Twilight both cleared her throat of it’s

its

“So um… How’re your wings doin’? Oh fantastic, right out the frying pan and into the fire. She just had to open with that, didn’t she?

End the quotation before the next two lines


Amazing story, as the characters were written very realistically to the show!

Wingboners.....why do they exist in this fandom? Wings don't works like that!


....*reads story anyway*

8962348

8962365

Ah, thanks for catching those, I'll be sure to fix those right away. :heart:

8962348

8962365

Alrighty, I just fixed all the stuff. Thanks again for pointing those out. Shit like that is why you don't write stories at three in the morning. :twilightblush:

Cute and funny. Thumbs up!

Think you can write another story like this? Kinda wondering how Twi handles the idea of being “popular.”

Ha xD very cool, cute and fun to read too! I wonder how Twilly will deal with that suggestive info. ;3

Oh Lordy... Rainbow, amusing as hell, yet helpful in her own way at the same time. I think Discord might want to start to worry soon...

Awesome story!

soon after you ran off, Fluttershy got stiff wings too. Hehe” Dash giggled and shot Twilight a teasing look. “You’re pretty popular Twi. Try not to feel too embarrassed.”

This is kind of like trying not to think about pink elephants. Considering the threshold is probably lower than for... related thing, seeing as how in bird species wing-fluffing is a response to many different stressors, I could see wing-boners spreading a bit like a yawn.

Anyway, amusing. It does raise the question of anxiety typically tamping down such a reaction, though as those who have been teenage boys can likely attest that doesn't quite always work, possibly due to a disconnect between the neuro-chemical pathways responsible for the processes. Though there are those with exhibitionist tendencies or humiliation fetishes, that is generally not a factor with adolescents. Twilight only having grown wings recently may well respond more like one in the midst of puberty than a fully-grown adult in this aspect, owing to her brain not having yet fully adjusted to the new neural pathways.

...I probably think about these things too much. :P

8961917

You did fine. "Go down!" No! "Not in front of everyone!" Honestly about sums it up. You don't control the damn thing, you just have to deal with it and try to hide it. The hormones are powerful, and often try to subsume your own will (to give the process a sense of communicable understanding and humanization...). Derisively you'll hear any number of ladies refer to 'thinking with your second head' as a joke or off-handed insult, but it really is extremely difficult to wrest attention and thoughts away from whatever happened to get you sprung, especially the more testosterone you have.

And since you can't tell it not to happen, and can't really stop it while it is happening, you often wind up extremely embarrassed due to the whole stigma there is surrounding public arousal, or giving people the idea you are attracted to them - even if it's just an automatic reaction of your body and you're not some kind of asset-gawking slackjaw.

In essence, it takes you along for the ride and you've got to make room for it to try and lessen noticeability and the impact it has on your focus, often creating awkward social interactions even if no one noticed - they'll notice that you aren't acting the same way you were a moment ago and draw their own conclusions, which can carry its own anxiety and stress. Basically, random boners are terrible in public and great in private.

8962432

Because of how often pegasi (especially in the earlier seasons) would randomly spring to their full wingspan when visibly excited about something - or it could be argued they were staring at something a little less than appropriate. The process became jokingly referred to as a 'wingboner', and since then became an actual part of the fandom fanon.

8962119
Two or three, tops.

Utterly adorable, and it's cute you didn't include exactly who the object of her affections was.

As long as this isn't her stiffest wingboner, she'll be okay.

a nice little one-off showing rainbow being a good friend :pinkiehappy: i love it

you know, rainbow could totally teach twilight how to take care of that easily, suggestive wink

8962432
All joking aside, as far as I can tell, it's because in canon, we've seen pegasi react to being startled by flaring their wings. This somehow morphed into "wings flare unconsciously for any sudden strong emotion" and then "wings flare as part of arousal". It didn't help that a lot of the startle-moments in the show were due to another character suddenly getting very up close and personal with the wing-bearer, which could easily be misinterpreted (especially in contextless screenshots)... at least by anyone looking for things they could misinterpret.

What does it say about Equestria in canon that the Princesses often show up in public in this state? :rainbowlaugh:

8963810
Well, I can't seem to find it anywhere, but I recall a screengrab of Rainbow in the library staring at one of the girls. Her front half was offscreen and it looked like Rainbow was staring at her ass. That was the first time I personally remember seeing the term used, and that shot might be where it got the sexual connotations.

8963828
I'd say that that's an incredibly solid piece of evidence that such wing displays are not analogous to arousal. Despite the efforts of many fans to interpret "pegasi flare their wings in surprise, to include invasions of their personal space" as a display of arousal.

I would further say that the "wingboner" idea is only at all popular because dick jokes are popular. It's really unrealistic if you look at it at all past that. Attempting to rationalize it or treat it as if it were a real thing suitable for anything other than a dick joke is just begging to be disappointed.

“So erm…” A rosy tint crept onto Rainbow’s cheeks. “What’s got you all hot and bothered? You seemed fine for a while there. Then all of a sudden you got all red and wingboner-y.”

Twilight shifted uncomfortably where she sat. “To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I mean… I’m sure you know as well as anypony else that sometimes it just sorta happens, right?” Rainbow thought about it for a second. There had been times where she’d woken up with stiff wings. But luckily for her, she wasn’t too prone to random feathery hard-ons.

I'll just leave this one here.

8962119
8962240
But if they did happen, I'm sure they still have enough control to 'fly/glide it into homebase' ♪♫:rainbowkiss::rainbowwild:

8963810
8963920
Considering how militaristic pegasi used to be, flaring their wings when their personal space is invaded could easily be a leftover instinctual reaction to a threat. A lot like how cats arch their backs and puff up their fur when startled to appear bigger than they are.

A sort of fight vs flight response. On one hand it's a potential intimidation factor in itself, on the other it also leaves their wings up and ready for a sudden take off to get out of reach of a potential attacker.

Of course at the very least I could see "wingboners" being an instinctual thing along the lines of a peacock's feather display. Not to mention allowing someone to directly interact with such an important part of their physiology would naturally involve a lot of trust, and would of course include romantic overtones with a significant other.

8964781
That's a far more sensible interpretation of the body language.

As for it being relevant to intimacy: well, I mean, some people don't like being touched at all, and thus even handshakes fall in that category, requiring a high level of trust/intimacy to allow it. Others not so much.

Having had a few pet birds growing up, they don't seem to have any special aversion to having their wings touched. They're far more likely to react badly if you try to touch the top/back of their head, since that goes into their blind spot, and they have to trust you more on average to be OK with that.

Wings may be important to flying, but feet/legs are important to walking and you don't see humans making as much a fuss about those areas like they make about genitals/breasts/buttocks. Overall, I'd say the sanest interpretation is that treat wings more or less like arms/hands/legs/feet. If the individual is body-shy overall, they might have some hangups. But it wouldn't be a default cultural assumption, and certainly not something to be treated seriously.

Again, it's a dick joke. That is exactly the humor being used. That is how non-serious it should be taken. If you want to tell dick jokes, then wingboners are right up your alley. If you're trying to take a serious approach to pegasi, ditch the wingboners.

Oh God the TwiDash <3 <3 <3

Pretty good, but a bit of advise. Whenever you start a new line of dialogue for characters, start a new paragraph. It can get a little hard to follow when prose and quotation marks just bleed into each other in the same section.

Rainbow grinned down at her friend. With that, she turned to make her leave. She reached the door before quickly facing back with a smug little smirk plastering her lips. “Oh, before I go. Pinkie told me to tell you that you’re awful cute all flustered and hard-winged. And I thought you’d like to know that soon after you ran off, Fluttershy got stiff wings too. Hehe” Dash giggled and shot Twilight a teasing look. “You’re pretty popular Twi. Try not to feel too embarrassed.”

Rainbow Dash exited the room. It took a moment or two for Twilight’s brain to catch up to what Dash had just said. But as soon as her brain processed the new information… Her wings got even stiffer.

YouFuckingBitch.wav

8962119
Why do you think Fluttershy has so much trouble flying? It's always the quiet ones, you know?

Really though, even if wings go fwoosh for strong emotions (including arousal) I don't think they'd get too stiff to fly. Not that I care, very funny story.

> Writes a dumb little story about Twilight getting a wingboner

> Starts intellectual conversation in comments section regarding the science of wingboners and how realistic/unrealistic the idea is to the anatomy of magical flying horses

8966482
That's Fimfiction for ya!:rainbowlaugh:
I for one enjoy reading those, even if I seldom participate.

8966482
Don't you just love this fandom? :pinkiecrazy:

8967176
I second that notion.

8966482
Oh, wingboners are definitely real. I'm a practically a professor on the subject, as matter of fact.

8967049
That's pretty much what happens with fanfictions everywhere. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Whole galaxies were destroyed and rendered completely lifeless as the result of wars which started out as discussions over what the buttons of a tricorder do....:facehoof:

And you may or may not actually find that story somewhere in the Twilight Zone here...and if you do find it, you might actually end up being a fimfict here....but just remember, those are almost ALWAYS tagged for horror, gore, and grimdark... and comedy:twilightoops:

I thought everyone was over these kinds of stories as trite and dumb in 2013
why must history repeat itself

8968484
Tbh, I only wrote it to get past some writers block. I wasn't expecting it to be popular either. But hey, I won't complain about being featured. Though of anything I could've written, I'll admit that my short wingboner story wasn't the one I necessarily wanted recognition for. But oh well, I'll take what I can get. :twilightsheepish:

8968595
to be fair i'm also a salty fuck and i judged the story based on premise alone
perhaps you pulled it off really cleverly, i didnt give it a fair shot or even read it
i commend your mature response to me being a petulant cynic

Login or register to comment