• Published 2nd Jun 2018
  • 774 Views, 69 Comments

The Mask of Despair and the Face of Hope - Wings of Black Glass



Everyone is the hero of their own story. Maybe, just maybe, that isn't always true. Sometimes, they are the villain.

  • ...
1
 69
 774

PreviousChapters Next
Zecora and the Amulet

On the table before me sat the amulet in silver, black, and red. The bulk of the medallion was a mostly triangular wedge of silver, with the image of a Unicorn head atop one edge. Two outstretched Pegasus wings, red with black feathers, flanked the Unicorn head. A large red diamond sat at the center. It was the Alicorn Amulet. Twice now it had threatened Ponyville, once when Trixie used to surpass me some years ago, and now recently when Sable Stardust tried to use it to travel through time.

Twice too many times. After we tricked Trixie into removing the amulet we had given it to Zecora to hide in the Everfree forest. Somehow, before his attempt at the map, Sable was able to find it. I thanked Celestia that Sable had removed it without complaint after the accident, I still didn’t know why he was so compliant about it. Had he refused… I didn’t know how we would have dealt with that; the amulet can only be removed by the wearer. I had been keeping it in my room, locked in a cabinet, ever since.

For too long had I put off dealing with it. Leaving it unsecured was dangerous. Even here in my room behind lock and key it was too exposed; castles could be infiltrated, locks could be picked or broken. A more permanent solution was required. Perhaps I should have destroyed it. There was undoubtedly merit behind that line of thought. It would definitively have removed it from being a threat ever again. Then again, could I have done that safely? It was a powerful magical artifact, destroying it carelessly might cause an eruption of magical energy which might have devastated Ponyville. What if someday its powers might have been needed? Sable was aware of its corrupting influence; presumably, he intended to remove it the moment he completed his spell, maybe its threats could be tempered? I could only conclude that outright destruction was not a wise choice of action.

At that moment the only thing really preventing anypony from making off with it was the fact that only I knew where it was. I supposed it wouldn’t be hard for Starlight Glimmer to figure it out, and if he so chose Sable might have been able to determine where it was, even Spike might have been able to stumble on it without meaning to. It couldn’t stay here. But where could I hide it where it couldn’t ever be claimed without dire need? Trap laden temples and catacombs get uncovered and draw the adventurous by merely existing. I could have put it back where Zecora had placed it, but that was apparently too easy to discover. I had no answer.

With a heavy sigh, I put it back into the cabinet, behind a false panel, and then sealed the locking mechanism of the hidden door with magic, turned the key to the mundane lock, and lastly placed a ward around the cabinet to alert me should anypony try to open it. The key I set in my dresser among many nearly identical such keys. Some might have called me paranoid, others not paranoid enough. I wasn’t sure which I was. For the moment, I didn’t know what to do with it.

I paced my room, pondering the problem. My final conclusion was that I first needed to know how it was Sable found the amulet in the first place. Without closing that loophole any attempt to hide it again was mostly pointless. I should also have to speak with Zecora, to figure out what security measures the Zebra had placed around it the first time. At last with a course of action to take, I headed out. To no surprise, I found Sable in the library, the table in front of him covered in open books, and a curious pile of clockwork gears and papers, one of which seemed to be the page of sketches he made at the lake.

“Sable, do you mind if we talk?”

“Hmm?” He didn’t look up from the book he was reading.

“This is important.” At this, he blinked and set the book down.

“Oh?”

“Do you remember what I asked you to do right after the accident?” Silence sat in the air for a moment before he answered.

“If I recall correctly, you had me remove a medallion I was wearing for some reason.”

“That's right. I don’t suppose you know where you got it?”

“No, I don’t.” I sighed, not honestly expecting any other answer. “I haven’t seen it since if it matters. Why?”

“I was hoping you knew where you got it, that's all.” He eyed me suspiciously but did not press the matter. I shook my head and stepped over towards his stuff on the table. “So, what are you up to?”

“Oh.” He glanced down at his pile of little metal gears and tools. “Just a little something I wanted to try.”

“Do you need any help?”

“No.” He answered, just a little too quickly. “No, that's alright. I would like to do this on my own, please.”

“OK, I was just curious. I’m going to head out for a while. Have fun.” I waved and turned away as he nodded farewell, by this point a very familiar expression. He went back to his project, and I made my way out of town.

Zecora’s home was within the Everfree forest itself, although far from the dangerous depths. The zebra carved out her residence in the heart of an old tree; several lanterns hung outside. When I drew near the door swung open, and a little yellow filly with a red mane decorated with a pink bow emerged from within.

“Bye, Zecora! I’ll see you next time!” The little filly almost bumped into me in her hurry. “Hey Twilight, I would love to talk, but I gotta run!” Applejack’s sister hurried away, heading back towards town. With a laugh, Zecora stepped outside.

“Off she goes, the little Apple Bloom. Ah, Twilight, what brings you to my room?” The Zebra gestured for me to enter. A cauldron in the middle of the room bubbled, full of a green liquid. Tribal masks and dream-catchers covered the walls not occupied by shelves of alchemical supplies.

“Hello, Zecora. I need to talk to you about the Alicorn Amulet.” I closed the door behind me as the Zebra began to clean up her potions and ingredients, she sometimes helped teach Apple Bloom the craft.

“Oh, what a terrible mess is that thing. Of what tidings do you need me to bring?”

“Well… someone found it.” Zecora stopped in place, turning to face me. She opened her mouth to speak, and then closed it, for once unable to find the words she wanted. “Don’t worry, I’ve got it secured for the moment. But I need to know where and how you hid it.”

“Fate has made me the fool. It has used me as a tool. I had buried the Amulet beneath an old tree. Out alone in the forest of the Everfree.”

“Without any precautions?”

“Secrecy was to be my only guard. I thought finding it would be too hard.”

“Oh… rats.” I had really been hoping Zecora could tell me more.

“Rodents, I suspect, are uninvolved. This conundrum remains unresolved.” I started to pace. “Do you wish to see where it lay? I can easily show you the way.”

“I don’t think it matters now. All we would find is a hole or a shovel, and maybe the box it was in if we were lucky.”

“Tell me then what is your plan? You cannot guard it your whole lifespan. What of they who discovered its place? Unless you do not know their face.”

“He doesn’t remember how he found it. It's a long story. The abridged version is that he screwed up while wearing it, and lost his memory.”

“That is unfortunate in the extreme. Perhaps the truth a potion will glean?”

“Do you mean you can brew a potion that will return his memory?”

“Tricky is the mind. One might be refined.” Zecora looked over her many and varied supplies. “Be warned, however, this task will take time. Even for me, such a brew is no simple paradigm.” With a smile on my face, I gave Zecora a big hug. “Bring me here this friend. I will see what I can mend.”


“I was wondering when you would get back to the Amulet.”

“If I had only destroyed it when I had the chance…”

“Twilight, you don’t need to beat yourself up so much.”

“If I had, or if I had placed better security on it, I wouldn’t have had to come back in time.”

“Oh my. This means it was a threat again?”

“Very much so.”

Author's Note:

Ah Zecora, aren't we so much fun to write? Then again, it's so much effort just to get it right. :twilightsmile:
It's pretty short, her time spent in the frame. But so much longer to write without being so lame. :twilightsheepish:

PreviousChapters Next