• Published 2nd Jun 2018
  • 776 Views, 69 Comments

The Mask of Despair and the Face of Hope - Wings of Black Glass



Everyone is the hero of their own story. Maybe, just maybe, that isn't always true. Sometimes, they are the villain.

  • ...
1
 69
 776

PreviousChapters Next
A Chilling Arrival

“The map called him? That’s quite unusual.”

“And it used his wings?”

“Well, he didn’t have a mark to flash. It had to pick something to work with.”

“What about the icon over the map, what did it use?”

“A little copy of his wings, actually.”

“Did that turn out to be his mark?”

“No. That is… not what happened. … You’re just assuming he finds his mark during my story?”

“It does seem like a natural climax for his story arc.”


Steel wheels raced along the tracks, Sable looked out the window on the seat opposite me as the scenery whirled past. His expression was one of passive curiosity. The journey had taken several hours, and the conversation had been light. It was just the two of us, the map didn’t call for anypony else.

“So, Sable, have you ever taken the train before?” He tilted his head momentarily and then nodded, but did not speak. It was like this the whole way. “OK then, do you remember ever coming this far from Ponyville?” He tilted his head the other way and finally looked over at her.

“I believe the answer is yes. I have not spent my entire life in Ponyville.”

“I guess I already knew that.”

“What are we doing out here?”

“I told you yesterday, we’re going to find a friendship problem, and only we can fix it.”

“That’s all we get? Just a location?”

“Yep.”

“And the map sent me because…?”

“I have no idea.”

“Not much to go on.” Sable frowned.

“Somehow the map knows that the problem can only be resolved by those it sends. You must have some special talent or way of thinking that will help. This is how it’s always been with us anyways. Do you think you might have any friend’s out here?”

“I doubt it. The terrain seems unfamiliar to me. I don’t think I’ve ever come this way.”

“Can you think of anything that sets you apart from everpony else?”

“Only one thing.” He lifted one wing, looking at his flank beneath his black coat. “I assume you meant anything else besides the obvious.” I nodded. “I am going to have to disappoint you then.” I sighed. The train slowed, and I looked out the window to see our destination coming into view.

“Oh good, we’re almost there.” A few minutes later the train pulled into the station; we were the only passengers to disembark here. I waved a hoof in the direction of the structure in the distance. “Welcome, Sable Stardust, to the Crystal Empire.” Ahead of us stood the crystal tower, a gleaming pillar piercing through a low cloud and into the heavens. At its base stood the shining structures of the Crystal Empire.

“Impressive castle.” A chill wind blew at his mane; it didn’t bother him as far as I could tell, his coat did have a practical use after all.

“That’s the palace. I’ll introduce you to my brother and Princess Cadence once we get there, and we can settle into our rooms and go out looking for our friendship problem. If we’re fortunate, we might even finish today.” We started out along the road; the train station was quite distant from the city itself.

“If I remember correctly, Starlight Glimmer was supposed to be here, was she not?” Light snow began to fall around us as we passed under the cloud and into the city proper.

“She’s probably still here, visiting Sunburst. Hmm…” I recalled the previous evening at the table. “I didn’t see her mark over the map.”

“Could the problem involve them?” I could see him sweep his eyes over the ground, a pale mist swirled around our hoofs.

“It’s possible. She’s had troubles reconnecting with him before. I would hope she could resolve it herself though.” He nodded, apparently paying only a little attention. I frowned slightly; he could at least pay more attention when I talked.

“Something is strange about this weather.” He looked up, peering into the clouds. I sighed, mildly annoyed.

“That’s just snow, let’s go already.” I stomped along the road, Sable walking along just beside me. The other ponies along the way avoided us, and something about them tingled my concern. Something was wrong. I just couldn’t place it.

“Is it always this welcoming?” I looked back; Sable was now watching the other ponies in the street. I paused and also turned to see what had drawn his attention. Every other pony was alone, and either scowling at somepony else or their eyes were darting suspiciously.

“No, it's not. The crystal ponies are usually much more inviting. That is strange.” I gestured towards the palace with my head. “Come on; we should go see what Princess Cadence knows about what’s going on.” We quickened our pace. Along the way, we passed the statue of Spike, and I noted with some concern that some malcontent had painted a slur over Spike’s name. My little dragon was quite the hero here, nearly a national treasure. It was bizarre that somepony would deface it. We reached the front gate of the palace without incident, no pony ventured near us.

I knocked, and the door swung open, it wasn’t locked or even shut tight. I glanced at Sable, now more worried than ever, and the two of us ran in. The hallways were empty; there were no guards on duty or city administrators. As we approached the throne room I heard shouting ahead, and the crying of a distressed infant.

“Hello?” I pushed the door open with my magic. “It's me, Twilight Sparkle!” Shining Armor, my brother, and Princess Cadence, his wife, were standing on opposite sides of the room, shouting at each other. My niece, Flurry Heart, bawling her eyes out, rushed towards me on little Alicorn wings to cower behind my legs and peer out at her parents. The two adults didn’t even notice me enter.

“What's this about?” Sable stepped up beside me, glancing from one angry pony to the other. I lifted Flurry from behind me and cradled her in my forelimb.

“Don’t worry, Flurry. Your best aunt ever is here.” Flurry Heart sobbed continually but stopped bawling loudly. I looked to my brother and his wife; I’d never seen either of them like this before. They still hadn’t noticed me, shouting over each other made it difficult to tell what they were even saying. I could only stand there, dumbstruck.

“One moment please.” Sable stepped forward and concentrated. A static charge built around him, standing my hairs on end, Flurry felt it too, squirming uncomfortably. The purple Unicorn popped out of existence with a bang, re-appearing in the center of the room between the two shouting adults. The sound of his teleport and sudden appearance between them made him impossible for them to ignore.

“Who in Tartarus gate’s are you!” Shouted Cadence.

“Intruder!” Shining Armor was even louder than before. A barrier bubble prison appeared around Sable, created by Shining Armor by reflex.

“Now that we have your attention.” Sable looked from one to the other, his mane still sizzling after his inexpert teleport, and raised both wings wide before using them to point at Twilight. “You have a guest.” His location within the white Unicorn’s barrier did not seem to concern him. The Alicorn and the white Unicorn turned to face me.

“Twilight! What are you doing here?” Cadence sounded annoyed, advancing towards me. “No matter, maybe you can get this baboon to listen!”

“Don’t you call me a baboon!” Shining Armor hissed back, also coming closer. Flurry whimpered in my embrace and looked away.

“Cadence, Shining Armor, what’s going on?!” They immediately started shouting again. “One at a time!” Flurry’s parents glared at each other, but at least they stopped shouting. “Shining Armor, you first.” Cadence scowled, baring her teeth in anger.

“She won’t stop telling me what to do! It's always Armor, do this. Armor, take care of Flurry. She never considers what I want!”

“Like you’re one to talk, always avoiding spending time with me! Is there another mare, is that it?”

“Of course not! But keep this up, and I really might go find somepony better.” I was speechless. Cadence huffed, appalled.

“How dare you! I can’t even look at you!” She twirled around on the spot, turning her back on both Shining Armor and Flurry Heart. “Twilight, you can look after Flurry for a while.” She didn’t even wait for a response before stalking out of the room, unwilling to listen to anypony else. Shining Armor reared angrily, shouting wordlessly, before similarly turning away and stomping out of the chamber in the opposite direction. It was all I could do to stand there, utterly stunned. Sable, having been silent and forgotten the whole encounter, appeared nearby with a lightning flash.

“I’m going to guess they aren’t usually like this?” I couldn’t even answer him. Flurry Heart started to cry again.


“Marital troubles in the Crystal Empire?”

“Between those two lovebirds? I don’t believe it.”

“I couldn’t believe it either. It turns out our mission was much bigger than just the two of them.”

Author's Note:

Part 4: A Change of Heart begins.

PreviousChapters Next