• Published 12th Aug 2018
  • 1,136 Views, 48 Comments

The Fable of a Lost Wolf - Solaris Night



After the War of Canterlot, Trider and his friends venture off to the four corners of Equis and beyond to find strength, wisdom and means to protect their future from destruction. But as their light shines brighter, so does darkness grow larger.

  • ...
7
 48
 1,136

Chapter 6: A New Mentor Part 1

"Sorry if I had to drag you out of bed for this." Dyna apologized to Spike. "But I could really use some help with shopping."

"No problem." the drake replied. "Isn't that what a boyfriend is for?" They both blushed when he said that, as neither of them was yet used to calling each other that, and quite frankly it was embarrassing.

It's been a couple of weeks since Trider left for his home and in that time Spike and Dynamism grew closer together and eventually began to date. All of their friends were happy for them, saying they belonged with each other, and they couldn't agree more. All the time they spent together was bliss.

"Why don't we take a rest?" the mare suggested. Spike nodded, his arms getting tired from carrying the entire luggage. They went over to a small restaurant and took a seat behind one of the tables. As soon as they sat, a waiter walked over and took their order.

When he left, Dyna turned to Spike and smiled. "Thanks again for helping me. I don't think I would've been able to get everything on the list, if it wasn't for you."

"Of course, I'm happy to help you. I mean we can't leave the barracks empty now can we?"

Another thing that changed since Trider's leave was that Ponyville now had several barracks to house Canterlot Royal Guard. Since the attack on Canterlot it was decided that security should be buffed in Ponyville as well.

"I know we can't, but it such a pain in the ass." the mare complained. "If I knew that I would have to do all of this, I would've never accepted the promotion."

Spike shot her a small glare. "Don't say that." he said sternly, as he reached over and grabbed her hand. "The new guards will need someone to lead them and there is no one better than you. You earned the title of Lieutenant, after what happened in Canterlot."

His words were reassuring to the mare and she smiled back to him. "I'm still not so sure." she said and reached to her right eye, which was covered by an eye patch now. "If I remember correctly it was you who beat Garble and I did nothing."

"We beat him together." Spike rebutted and looked her directly in the eye. "I wouldn't be here without you Dyna. We are here for each other, so if you ever need my help again, just call me."

The mare's grin couldn't be wider; she was so happy right now, that she couldn't put it to words. Instead she leaned over and kissed Spike. At first he was taken aback by her sudden action, but he eventually melted into her and the two continued to kiss until someone interrupted them.

"Your meals, sir." the waiter said, holding the tray with their food in his hands. The two quickly broke apart and were madly blushing.

"T-Thanks." Spike stuttered out. The waiter put their meals onto the table, along with a vase, with a rose in it and right before he left he looked at the drake and gave him a thumbs up.

The two remained silent for a couple more seconds before they began to eat. As they continued to eat Dyna noticed that Spike's face was slumped.

Putting down her fork she spoke up. "What's the matter?" she asked.

Breaking away from his meal, the drake lifted his head and looked at the concerned mare. "It is nothing." he said, trying to convince her he was fine, but Dyna knew better than that. She continued to stare at him, her gaze piercing right through the teen dragon. Eventually Spike couldn't take any more. "Fine." he sighed and put down his own utensils. "Something's been bothering me since Trider, well actually ever since we fought Garble." he confessed.

"And that is?" Dyna said, trying to continue the flow of the conversation. Still skeptical, Spike was trying to drop the subject, but he knew that his girlfriend would continue to pester him until he spilled the beans. "Spike." she said, scooting over to his side. "We are here for each other. You said so yourself, so if something is bothering you I'll be here to listen to you."

That sentence blew away all of Spike's worries and he knew he could finally speak about his troubles. "I'm thinking about leaving Ponyville." For the next few seconds a deadly silence fell over them, as Dyna tried to process what he had just said.

"What?" was all that left her mouth.

"I said that I'm thinking about lea-"

She placed a finger on his lips, stopping him mid-sentence. "No, no I got that part. Let me rephrase." she said looking at Spike with a puzzled expression. "Why?"

He didn't know how to properly answer, so for a moment he fumbled, but eventually he composed himself. "Because I want to get stronger, I guess?" Immediately he knew that the answer didn't satisfy the mare, as her expression turned to one of befuddlement to anger.

"You guess?" she shouted, drawing the attention of everyone in the restaurant. "Spike you're plenty strong already. Don't tell this is Trider's influence on you?"

"No, I'm not." Spike shouted back, startling the mare. "Look, when we fought Garble, we nearly lost, even with the two of us and he wasn't even that strong compared to others."

"Even so, why do you need to leave Ponyville?" she countered. "Can't you train here like you always have?"

The drake shook his head. "No, I can't." he said, his tone displaying his discontent. "For a while now I haven't improved at all, while Trider continues to break through to new levels of power. I feel like, if I don't step up I will disappoint him and will be left in the dust." Dyna was taken aback; she had no idea that he was feeling like that. "Plus there is also what Garble said about me."

"What did he say?" she asked, trying to remember as well.

"He said that I'm not a real dragon." Spike said, his mood dropping even more. "And he's right. For all my life I've been living among ponies, unaware of what a dragon is like. I'm more pony than I am a dragon."

"And that is why you want to leave, to learn how to be a dragon?" Dyna asked, clearly showing her uncertainty. Spike silently nodded, to which the mare sighed. "Didn't you try this once before?" Again he nodded. "And don't you remember how that ended?"

"I'm not saying that I'll go looking for other dragons. I just want to find myself." he said, his voice now filled with determination. Dyna was still skeptical and Spike could sense her doubt. "Ever since Trider left I've been having this feeling, like somebody is calling for me, like that if I follow them I'll find the answers I'm looking for."

After hearing all of that Dyna could no longer tell Spike that he shouldn't do that. Instead she sighed and leaned into him. "Just promise me you'll come back safe and sound." she said, looking longingly into his eyes.

"Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." he said and embraced her.

After his talk with Dyna, Spike talked to all of his other friends as well, and just like his girlfriend they opposed him leaving at first, but they too eventually saw his resolve and decided it was for the better to let him go. On the day of his departure everyone in Ponyville came to greet him off. It almost made him reconsider, but he steeled himself and set off on his journey.

For the next several days he travelled across Equestria, following the feeling that has been gnawing at him since the battle in Canterlot. After two days of wandering through a dense forest he stumbled upon a large cave opening.

The feeling was stronger than ever, so with absolute resolve, Spike entered the cave. As soon as he stepped inside he was engulfed in darkness. He lit up a small flame and began to wander through the cave system. For several hours he continued to walk through the cavern, until he stumbled upon an enormous cave, which could house the entire town of Ponyville. The cave was illuminated by a bunch of blue crystals, which shined just bright enough to outline the shapes inside the cave.

Spike was taken aback by the beauty that was before him. However that beauty lasted a short while, as the entire cavern began to shake, almost as an earthquake hit the place. The shaking threw him off his balance and he fell onto the ground.

As the shaking continued, Spike noticed that several walls of the cave were shifting around. At first he thought that the entire place was about to collapse, but as soon as the shaking started, it also stopped abruptly. Spike glanced around the place, trying to see what exactly what had happened and he noticed that the entire cave was now completely different than how it was when he arrived. The walls were in completely different places than before; some moved closer to him, making the cave appear smaller. He slowly turned around, determined to get out but saw that the exit was now gone, instead replaced by a large boulder.

All of a sudden he heard cracking noises coming from the ceiling. He looked up only to see an enormous protrusion from it. The cracking noises continued and Spike saw how two giant golden crystals suddenly appear out of nowhere. The crystals began to move, showing two giant black lines across the middle of each of them, which were now pointed directly at Spike.

The drake has faced situations where he had been scared. When he faced the Diamond Dogs, Sombra, Changeling invasion, attack on Canterlot, in all those situations he was confronted by fear, but right now, at this moment, he felt pure terror wash over him as he stared at the giant golden eyes that were staring down at him.

Loud rumbling echoed throughout the cave as the protrusion split apart, revealing rows of giant sharp and jagged rocks. But Spike knew those weren't rocks.

"Greetings, my name is Ageny." a thundering voice spoke out. "Who are you?"