• Published 30th May 2018
  • 4,280 Views, 100 Comments

A Simple Errand - Justice3442



Starlight and Trixie go to the store to buy groceries. A task so mundane there’s pretty much no way they can mess it up.

  • ...
9
 100
 4,280

Starlight Shunts the Entire Store into Another Dimension

“HOW DOES THIS HELP US GET THE LAST ITEM?!” Trixie cried, her voice a chaotic mix of emotions. Emotions such as frustration, pure-bewilderment, and perhaps just a dab of fear as she looked at the shifting, dome-shaped maelstrom of unworldly energies unraveling before her eyes. Deep within this maelstrom, the foul, ghostly bellows of an ethereal goat echoed out of this void, piercing the ears of those unfortunate enough to stand too close to the shifting void a supermarket had stood mere moments ago. A supermarket Trixie, her friend Vinyl Scratch, and her BFFaPiIC (Best Friend Forever and Partner in Incidental Crime) Starlight Glimmer had also been in moments ago before Starlight had teleported them all out.

But now, these three unicorns and their wares were the only recent occupants of the store who weren’t in another plane of existence.

“Duuuuude! It’s full of stars!” Vinyl uttered, her glasses lifted so she could stare with heavily dilated pupils from inside a pool of unopened and opened pills, cough syrup, and mouthwash bottles; all of which were contained in yet another grocery cart the mares had collected. “And also moons, four-leaf clovers, and balloons!” she added as she stared at a box of cereal she shook playfully in front of her face in a lilac glow.

Correction: Starlight, Trixie, and Vinyl were the only three former occupants who weren’t physically in another plane of existence.

Starlight smirked at Trixie and shook her head. “Trixie, Trixie, Trixie… There are basic tricks that even ancient unicorn wizards have understood in these situations.”

Trixie narrowed her eyes. “Trixie is unsure if you’re being serious or hoping she starts hate-snogging you. Please elaborate with far less smug. I’m finding it increasingly hard to control my emotions and my—Twilight’s—ice cream is still melting.”

“If you’re stuck with a problem you can’t solve, shove it into another dimension until a solution arrives or you forget about it!” Starlight exclaimed, then shook her head. “Twilight can’t get upset if we left off an item due to unforeseen—but natural—weather phenomena!” Starlight continued as she tapped the side of her head in a ‘think, think’ manner, her smug smile remaining.

Trixie threw her forehooves up in the air. “Things disappearing into unpredicted TEARS in reality is NOT natural, Starlight! Furthermore, it pretty much never happened in Equestria until you showed up!”

“Correlation does not equal causation, Trixie.”

Trixie narrowed her eyes. Stop using smart words to justify being stupid! Trixie knows you are LITERALLY the cause for all of these!”

Starlight gave Trixie an incredulous look. “That’s patently false! Discord has created some of them! Remember that time he was really mad at trees for getting in the way of his kites?”

“That was you!”

“Uh… right… right…” Starlight thought for a moment. “Okay, remember that time he was really mad at tubas?”

Trixie pursed her lips in annoyance. “Also you!”

Starlight forced a very symmetrical smile. “…Bunnies?”

Trixie groaned. “Okay, yes… THAT was Discord… he messed up a fair amount of my magic tricks with that little tantrum, but most the other times where you!”

“Okay, you got me,” Starlight admitted. “The important thing is I have plausible deniability!”

Trixie frowned heavily. “Only in that there is one other entity who maybe would have done this!”

“Two!” Starlight clarified. “Star Swirl the Bearded is back, and who’s to say he didn’t get mad that the store was out of ‘beard glaze’ and shunt it to another dimension out of frustration?”

Trixie rolled his eyes. “As if such an accomplished wizard would throw a tantrum like that.”

Starlight snickered. “Now who’s trying to sound smart to justify saying stupid things?”

Trixie frowned slightly. “No, no, you’re right… I would probably shunt an entire store into another dimension if I was able and in a mood.”

Starlight’s smirk replied. “In a mood like somepony ate the last piece of pizza ‘in a mood’?!”

“Trixie already stated she didn’t want to talk about that moment!” Trixie sighed. “Plus, that wasn’t my fault… I had already licked the last piece to claim it as my own! Tempest should have known better than to eat it without asking if it had been licked or maybe to politely ask why she was being roughly smooched before getting violent!”

“Uh… dudes, where’s my store?” Vinyl asked as she raised her sunglasses and stared at the dome of shifting colors. “And why is it all Lucky Charms over there?”

Starlight chuckled. “The store had a… mishap! It’s just a little temporarily displaced, dimensionally speaking.” She swatted at the air. “You know these things happen.”

Vinyl scrunched her lips. “What… like with the tubas?”

Starlight grimaced.

Trixie raised an eyebrow. “You’re more familiar than that then the incident with the trees?”

“Pffft… Who cares about trees!” Vinyl said.

Heeeeey, what the actual eff?!” a female’s voice called out, or more accurately, pondered in a vexed tone.

“Crap! It’s Tree Hugger!” Vinyl dove into the mess of bottles and boxes in her cart. “For Kids! Hide me!”

Trixie glanced at the cart. “You are hidden… So long as no one thinks ‘jackpot’ when they see a shopping cart full of cough syrup, antihistamines, and malt liquor.”

“Welp, then I’m screwed!” Vinyl exclaimed.

“Why does everyone remember the trees… and the tubas for that matter?!” Starlight lamented. “Won’t somepony please think of the bunnies disappearing!”

“Ohhh… Good idea!” Vinyl exclaimed. “Hey, Trix! Make this Silly Rabbit disappear!”

Trixie sighed. “The GRRRRRRRRREAT and POWERFUL TRRRRRRIXIE requires a sheet from her lovely assistant.” She looked at Starlight expectantly.

Rolling her eyes, Starlight’s horn glowed an electric blue as a blanket which resembled a much larger version of Trixie’s cape fell over the shopping cart.

Trixie smiled. “And now Trixie just says the magic words!” Trixie reared back and waved her hooves about. “AbbracaKeepYourHoovesAndHornInTheCartAtAllTimes!”

“Wait, what the e—”

Trixie’s horn burst with lilac energy cutting off Vinyl. With another glow of her horn, she removed the blanket revealing a pile of wood roughly the shape and dimension of the cart. “Ta-da!”

Starlight smiled. “Wow, you’re getting better with teleportation. Where’d you send the cart?”

“Oh, Twilight’s study,” Trixie said dismissively.

“WHAT?!” Starlight exclaimed. “What the actual eff, Trixie?”

Trixie put on a manic grin. “Honestly? Trixie thrives on conflict! Without a constant stream of ponies stressing out around me, I feel empty. And knowing I’ve helped cause the stress gives Trixie life!”

Starlight growled in irritation.

Trixie rotated a forehoof upwards as her voice shifted to a ‘matter of factual’ tone. “And she knows you love her too much to be angry at her for too long.”

“… I hate that you’re right.”

Trixie smirked and lowered her eyelids as she looked back at Starlight. “I thrive on hatred as well, you’re only encouraging Trixie.”

“… I despise you so much right now…” Starlight said in a simmering tone.

“I love you, too,” Trixie said as she leaned forward and gave Starlight a light smooch on the lips.

Before Starlight could formulate a proper response, of which she had a VERY wide range of options to choose from, Tree Hugger’s voice sounded out again. “Whoa… that weird portal thing is throwing off my vibe…”

Starlight and Trixie turned as the light green earth pony mare trotted up. She wore a yellow bandana with a design of daisies over her mop of reddish burnt orange dreadlocks as well as a slightly glazed over look on her lilac-colored eyes. Trotting up to the other two ponies, Tree Hugger sat on her flank with its red, heart-shaped tree cutie mark and stared at the violently swirling mass of colors as if she was half-hypnotized by what she saw. Which, truthfully, wasn’t all that different from her default expression.

“And by that, I mean brutally prison-shanking my vibe to death,” she added.

Starlight just groaned. “Look, we’re kind of in the middle of something,” — She made a little ‘shoo, shoo’ motion with her forehooves — “so if you can just be on your way…”

Tree Hugger frowned heavily at the store. “But I had things to get from that store! I’d probably even remember which things if I had a chance to see them!”

Starlight groaned. “Trixie, I tried asking politely… What’s the step in between that and disintegrating a pony to make them go away?”

Tree Hugger cringed. “My vibe? Also, now on fire as it bleeds out…”

Trixie frowned heavily. “Honestly, Trixie is a tad worried you skipped a few steps.”

Starlight let out a heavy sigh. “Well, I know I’m not allowed to use mind control anymore, and Twilight lectured me for using a sleep spell on Tempest’s pet when it was annoying me.”

“Grubber! His name is Grubber!” Trixie exclaimed. “We’ve been over this!”

“Okay, okay!” Starlight snapped. “Sorry! I’m just under a lot of stress right now. Thanks to you!” Starlight added coldly.

Trixie giggled. “Yeah…” she murmured wistfully.

“Sounds like you need something to help you chillax,” Tree Hugger mused. She reached up into her bandana. “I’ve got just the thi—”

“Seriously!” Starlight snapped. “Stop talking! My horn is starting to feel twitchy!”

“Harsh toke…” Tree Hugger replied dejectedly as she returned her forehoof to the ground.

Trixie shook her head. “I can’t help but feel you passed up a rather golden, or green in this case, opportunity for yourself, Starlight.”

“Well, she won’t leave us alone!” Starlight whined as she motioned to Tree Hugger.

Trixie grinned. “You mean leaf us alone!”

Starlight let out an anguished groan. “Enough with the trees already!”

Trixie sighed and shook her head. “Nevermind… Perhaps another day when you’re likely to be a little less paranoid… Let me try something,” Trixie said. She looked over at Tree Hugger “If I give you half a box of individually wrapped snack foods, will you stop talking to us?” Trixie asked.

A smile finally inched its way onto Tree Hugger’s face. “How’d you know individually wrapped snack foods where the ones that speak to my soul?”

“Lucky guess…” Trixie said as she pulled out a rectangular box from one of the carts, opened it, and pulled out five golden yellow oblong sponge-cakes wrapped in plastic and laid them in a pile at Tree Hugger’s hooves.

“Thanks, bra!” Tree Hugger exclaimed as she fell on one of the cakes with both forelegs and ripped at the plastic with her teeth.

“Better?” Trixie asked Starlight.

Starlight smiled. “Yes! Much! I can finally think straight.” She frowned. “A thought occurs that I’m pretty hosed here.”

Trixie nodded. “Yes, that does seem to be the long, short, and everything in between of it.”

Starlight sighed and hung her head. “Well, this is it… I guess I have to face the facts, and admit I made a mistake… Hopefully, Twilight will at least recognize I’ve learned enough about friendship to see when I’m in over my head and when it’s time to come clean.”

Trixie smiled and nodded. “Why Starlight, that sounds very responsible of you!”

Starlight smiled. “Doesn’t it?” she replied as she pulled out the various items she and Trixie had collected in their carts and began to trot in the direction of Twilight’s castle. “I mean… that’s gotta be at least partial friendship credit!”

Trixie trotted after Starlight. “But would you be saying that if I hadn’t forced your hoof here?”

“I’m still mad at you!” Starlight snapped.

Trixie clenched her eyes shut and smiled wide as she suddenly shivered from horn to hooves. “Good!” she replied as she resumed following Starlight.