• Published 26th May 2018
  • 2,364 Views, 116 Comments

Love's a Roller Coaster Ride - The Lord Thunder



Starlight and Sunburst go on a date in Las Pegasus. Trixie and Maud are in Las Pegasus, too, and they have plans for the two unicorns...

  • ...
3
 116
 2,364

Chapter 15

Even as night fell over Las Pegasus, Corrals of Fun was as busy as ever. Lights in every color of the rainbow lit up the park; the screams and laughter of excited ponies and the clack-clacking of rollercoasters still filled the air with a cacophony of noise.

“So, what should we go on now?” Starlight asked.

“You pick,” Sunburst answered, then quickly added, “as long as it’s not another rollercoaster.”

Starlight giggled, looking around for something appropriate. A ferris wheel towered over most of the other rides except for the tallest coasters. “Hey, how about the ferris wheel? I’d love to see the view at night from that high up.”

“Me, too,” Sunburst agreed. “And it’s nowhere near as bad as a rollercoaster.”

The two trotted over to the ferris wheel and waited for one of the riders to get off. The wheel stopped shortly after they arrived, allowing a young couple exit their car. The pegasus operating the ride motioned for Starlight and Sunburst to take their place.

Starlight and Sunburst sat side by side as the operator locked the security bar back in place above their laps. He went back to his control panel and then, the two unicorns felt themselves moving backwards and being hoisted up towards the top of the wheel.

The wheel halted to allow more riders on, offering Starlight and Sunburst a grand view of not only the park, but much of Las Pegasus from their perch at the top of the wheel. Dazzling arrays of lights stretched out below them as far as they could see, keeping the darkness at bay.

Sunburst glanced over at Starlight, watching the reflection of all those lights in her eyes. There, in that iridescent gleam, the splendor of Las Pegasus’ nightlife was even more beautiful.

“Wow, what a view!” Starlight shouted. She seemed too captivated with the sights below to notice Sunburst’s gaze. “It’s so pretty.”

Sunburst looked at Starlight for a bit longer, marveling at the reflection in her eyes. “It sure is.”

“Hm?” Starlight turned her head, now aware of Sunburst’s stare. “What is it, Sunburst?”

“Oh!” With that face towards him, Sunburst snapped his attention to his other side, looking down at the sprawling neon-lit city. “The, uh, lights. They are really pretty.”

A giggle escaped Starlight’s mouth as she watched Sunburst quickly shift his attention, blushing. Both had their front hooves resting on the security bar above their laps. Starlight scooted a bit closer to Sunburst and inched her right hoof near his left, slowly and subtly. It was enough for him to notice; he stared at her hoof for a moment, silently wondering. Perhaps it was an invitation?

There was only one way to find out. Sunburst lifted his hoof and rested it on top of Starlight’s. She didn’t object. The corner of her mouth lifted in a smile. Red blotches formed on her cheeks, and Sunburst felt his face flare as well. Starlight’s closeness was comforting, the warmth of her hoof soothing.

A quick jolt startled both of them, as they’d been lost in the moment, but they kept their hooves together. The ferris wheel went back into motion, lowering them to the ground, then to the rear of the wheel and back up again.

They looked to each other and smiled, both blushing, then turned their sights back to the brilliant colors of Las Pegasus below.

“I, um, I just wanted to let you know,” Sunburst said, “I had fun today, Glim.”

Starlight suddenly lost her smile as she gaped at Sunburst. “What did you say?”

Stupid move. He shouldn't have called her that. “I said I had fun tonight. I really did.”

“No, what did you just call me?”

Sunburst sighed through his nose, now missing his own smile. He couldn’t lie to Starlight. “I called you ‘Glim.’ I’m sorry. If you didn’t like it, I won’t call you that again.”

The embarrassment forced him to look away from her until she rubbed his hoof. “No, it’s okay. You can call me ‘Glim.’ I think that’s adorable!”

Sunburst’s heart thumped even harder as he met Starlight’s reassuring grin with one of his own. “Alright then. Glim.”

Starlight giggled and scooted nearer. “Now I’ll have to think of one for you.”

Starlight and Sunburst enjoyed the rest of their ride in silence, appreciating the warm closeness of a pony they cared for.

***

Starlight hoped it would last longer; she wanted to savor Sunburst’s nearness, his warmth and the feeling of his hoof on hers, but the ride came to a stop with their car at the bottom. The operator unlocked their security bar and pushed it to the side.

“Ok, ride’s over, lovebirds. Watch your step.”

Starlight felt her cheeks burn at that word, fighting to suppress a giggle as she stepped out of the car and walked away from the ride.

Starlight didn’t say anything, but she ran her mind through various nicknames she could give Sunburst now that he had one for her. Sunny B? Sunny Gun? Sunshine? Bursty?

“Well, that was great,” Starlight said, trying to fill the awkward silence and take her mind off of the growing anxiousness in her gut.

“It sure was,” Sunburst replied, smiling, his voice distant.

“What should we do now?”

“I’m not sure. It’s getting late, they’ll probably be closing soon.”

Starlight and Sunburst came to the park’s center square when a crackling, then a voice, came over the P.A. system.

“Attention, Corrals of Fun guests: this is a friendly reminder that the park will be closing in twenty minutes. We will re-open tomorrow at 8 a.m.. Thank you for visiting us, and come back soon!”

Starlight dropped to her haunches, face-to-face with Sunburst, who sat down as well. “I had fun today, Sunburst. Though I think it went a little better in my dream.”

“Are you kidding? Today was perfect.”

Starlight giggled. “Really? Even though I dragged you on that roller coaster when I knew you didn’t want to, and with Trixie making things awkward?”

“It was perfect enough.”

Starlight blushed and lowered her head with a nervous laugh. “You’re just saying that to make me feel better.”

“No, really, it was.”

“I see.” Starlight giggled again, lifting her head to look at Sunburst. “And how’s that?”

Rubbing her chin with his hoof, Sunburst stared into Starlight’s eyes. “Because I got to spend it with you, Glim.”

Sunburst leaned in and gave Starlight a kiss on her lips. Hot circles flared on her cheeks and she saw that Sunburst was blushing as well.

“Wow.” Starlight put her hoof to her mouth, fighting for the right words against the butterflies in her stomach. No, they were more like hornets whose hive had just been hit with a stick. She'd never felt her heart pound so hard. “That was, um, ok…”

Sunburst brushed Starlight’s lock of hair out of her face, smiling warmly at her with stars in his eyes. “You sound like me now. Did you like it?”

Her own eyes glittering, Starlight flashed a coy smile, then scooted closer and gave Sunburst a kiss of her own, savoring the soft warmth of his lips. “How’s that for an answer?”

His face as red as his mane, Sunburst stared at Starlight in an awe she knew they shared, one that resonated with her heart thumping painfully against her ribs.

Could this really be happening, or was it just another dream? Was she falling in love with him, and him with her? Did she even deserve such a thing, with her dark past?

“Are-” Sunburst was the first to break the silence. “Are you okay, Starlight?”

“Yeah,” she sighed, holding a hoof to her chest. “It’s just… wow. I’ve got this crazy feeling in my gut, but at the same time I feel warm, and at peace.”

Sunburst scratched the back of his head. “Huh. I was going to say the same thing. It’s like, I’m nervous but at the same time, I’m calm. Weird, huh? I like it, but I mean, if this is getting awkward for you, maybe we should call it a night.”

Starlight sat by Sunburst’s side, gave him a kiss on the cheek and snuggled up next to him. “Not a chance. If this is what we both want, then what do we have to lose?”

The two sat in silence with their eyes shut to savor the moment and imagine a happy future. A whistle, then a muffled boom filled Starlight’s ears. She opened her eyes to witness fireworks lighting the night sky with glittering rainbow-hued bursts. Starlight smiled, inside and out. Trixie finally got it right.

“A fireworks show. Imagine that,” Starlight said.

“What a surprise.” Sunburst gently laughed and rested a foreleg around Starlight’s neck, wrapping one side of his cloak around her.

For once, just like in her dream, everything felt right in Starlight’s world. She watched the fireworks for a bit, searching within for the strength to admit what she felt in her heart.

“I love you, Sunburst.”

His own heart flying, Sunburst held Starlight ever nearer, resting his head against her shoulder. “I love you, too, Starlight.”

Both savored the warm embrace, bathed in the multi-hued light of the fireworks. For Starlight, this moment, this feeling was worth the pain and heartache from all those years ago. She knew, this time, things would be better.

“Sunshine,” Starlight mumbled.

“What?”

Starlight looked up at him, starry-eyed. “C-can I call you that, Sunshine?”

Smiling, Sunburst nuzzled her, his eyes squeezed shut in bliss. “Starlight, I promise, I will always be your Sunshine. Especially when you need light and warmth.”

Starlight giggled. “Well, that was corny. Same old Sunburst.”

“I try my best.”

And that, Starlight thought, is one of the many things I love about you. The Sunshine that lights my life...