• Published 25th May 2018
  • 1,511 Views, 14 Comments

Dark Visitors - David Silver



This time, this huge celebration of the good times in Equestria and its friends can't possibly be stormed by evil people in skyships. We have every contingency prepared for, and didn't give the guards the day off. We got this.

  • ...
8
 14
 1,511

1 - And at Last, I Am Here

Pinkie passed a balloon, dangling from the end of her mysteriously sticky hoof. The yak she was offering it to leaned in and up, seizing the rope in his teeth. "Pink pony make good balloon."

She bobbed her head. "Only the best for the very first Annual Celebration of Equestrian Friendship!" She jumped forward and wrapped her arms around the yak, but he didn't echo her exuberance, instead his head lowering and raising in time with the bounces of the balloon.

"Pinkie!" came a familiar voice. Twilight leaned over a balcony up ahead, her mane shining in the bright rays of the sun. The sky was perfectly clear in readiness for the event. "Good job, but try to get through the line, please." She pointed. Beyond the yak were dozens of other creatures of all manner of races, waiting their turn.

"Oh, sorry..." Pinkie redoubled her efforts to get her balloon offerings out faster.

Celestia stepped up beside Twilight at a serene step. "This is going better than the last festival we tried to hold."

Twilight laughed nervously at that, her eyes sweeping over the crowded mass that filled Canterlot Castle with cheer. "Nothing but happy faces, and no 'Storm King' to step in on things." The way her eyes darted, she was expecting trouble at any moment.

Celestia set a hoof on Twilight's withers gently. "It's alright. The guards are on-duty and ready to react. We are prepared to see this through to its merry conclusion, hmm?"

"Right." Twilight smiled, confident for all of a moment before her head snapped to the right. "What was that?"

Celestia looked with her and frowned. The clear sky was suddenly gathering ominous dark clouds. From behind the clouds, bursting through them, a ship sleek, black, and deadly in appearance began to approach. Its great rotors twirled loudly enough to be heard even over the distance, propelling it towards the city hastily.

Luna landed beside her sister. "I've already alerted the guards. They are assembling and ready to repel them."

Twilight raised a shaking hoof. "W-wait. Maybe they... aren't bad?" Both of the royal sisters peered at Twilight. "I mean it! Just because they have an airship doesn't... mean they have to be bad, right?" She forced a smile, not entirely convinced herself. "Let's... give them the benefit of the doubt, but be ready."

Celestia nodded to Twilight and Luna. "Keep the guards ready and move them into position, but let's not allow violence to be our first reaction to an unknown face. We are a nation of peace." Her smile returned, brilliant and reassuring. "Thank you, Twilight, for reminding me."

They descended towards the wide open area that the ship seemed to be approaching. Twilight's friends rushed to join them. Rarity was shaking her head. "If this ends up with us going to the far corners of Equestria, I will simply have to object. My businesses already see me too ill-frequently, darlings."

Applejack tipped her hat down. "Ya tellin' me? Poor Big Mac's worked to the bones keepin' up. Let's handle this quick like."

Fluttershy timidly smiled as the airship lowered towards them. "Let's, um, hope for the best."

Rainbow Dash snorted at that. "The 'best' last time was kinda awful, jus' saying."

With a resounding thump, a metal gangplank slid out from the ship and struck the ground firmly, rubber soles keeping it firmly in place. There was scarcely a moment before huge turtles wielding jagged bats poured down, but they held the bats down and didn't rush at any of the gathered ponies. They fanned out from the ramp as if clearing the way, and just... stood there.

Celestia leaned towards her sister. "Not as aggressive as the last ones."

"Yet," added Luna with a raised brow.

"What ho!" came a loud cry. All eyes turned upwards to a dapper fox dressed like a victorian gentlecreature at the top of the gangplank. "I hope you're ready!" He began to descend, his fingers pointed and 'shooting' at the crowd in rapid motion as if his hands were little handguns. "Once the big guy comes down, this entire party is going to be over! He'll put everything to an end!"

The Mane 6 tensed in unison. Twilight advanced towards them. "Tell your 'leader' that this festival is continuing with or without his blessing."

"Wouldn't have it any other way," agreed the fox, half-dancing down with the light pitter-pat of his boots against the metal. "What's the point of being the most amazing thing in the entire world if nocreature's there to witness it?!" He threw his arms wide, fingers spread.

"Look at all of this! You've really brought every single race together, haven't you? Well, most of them." He rapped on the shell of a turtle as he passed. "I don't see too many of these guys, which is a shame. They love a good party almost as much as the big guy. See, they even brought the right tools for the job."

Responding to the cue, the great turtles hefted up their massive bludgeons. The guards stepped forward, ready to protect the people of the city, but the turtles lowered their weapons after a tense moment.

Pinkie pointed at the fox, uncertainty written over her face. "So... who's the big guy you're talking about?"

"You haven't heard of him!?" The fox was suddenly in Pinkie's face, grabbing her soft cheeks and pinching. "Oh, you'll love him, and he'll love you, I think... I like you." He slapped her right cheek lightly, releasing her. "Oh the fun we'll have. I'm sorry for keeping you all waiting, but he insists on a proper introduction, and that's my job."

Luna coughed into a hoof. "That is all very well and good... sir... but you have yet to introduce your employer. Please proceed."

"Oh, he needs no introduction. Behold, the dark overlord himself! The One. The Only. The Maleficent Tyrant, Wraith-Mask!" The fox fell to a knee, an arm sweeping up towards the ramp.

At the top, the shadows gathered around the imposing bipedal form of his mysterious employer. Wraith-Mask began to descend the steps, one hollow clank of metal against metal at a time. Those that watched winced faintly with each sound, wondering what terror he would attempt to introduce.

Luna leaned towards Celestia. "Is it time to repel them yet?"

Celestia shook her head. "They have done nothing wrong."

Twilight swallowed heavily. "Yet."

Luna gave Twilight a cross-look for stealing her line, but was quiet.

Pinkie rubbed her abused cheeks lightly. "I feel like I just had a visit from the extended family."

Applejack suddenly snorted. "Ah know that feelin' plenty. Is that a good thin' or not?"

Spike hurried up, taking his place with his dear pony friends. "Uh, did that guy just call that other guy 'maleficent'? Is that a good thing?"

"I." Wraith-Mask held out a gauntleted hand, the metal-clad fingers clenched. "Am ready..."

The fox clapped his pawhands eagerly. "Yes! I knew he'd approve. You're all so lucky you don't even know. Once he gets started, it's all over, you'll be blown away! Come on! They're waiting for you." He waved eagerly, as if he could encourage his boss to come faster, but Wraith was not advancing any faster than his stately steps.

Strange anti-lights suddenly cast beams of darkness down from the ship and converged on Wraith, casting him in a sort of negative light that made bits of his armor stand out all the more, emphasizing the skull of his helmet as he took another step.

"Now?"

Celestia shook her head at her sister's request.

The fox danced up in a twirl to Spike. "Hey, fellow biped. Nice to see more of us." He hiked a thumb at a dragon hovering there, watching. "Dragons are great for parties. You ready to rock?!"

"Uh, maybe?" Spike smiled nervously. "You never said your name."

"Oh, right, well." He put a hand to his chest. "Introducing myself before the big man? It just ain't done. Ain't that right, Lord of Darkness?" His boss did not reply, and the fox didn't seem to care. "But since I've done that, you can call me Timothy." He bowed low, but bounced back almost instantly. "Nice to meetcha! Oh!" He abandoned Spike without a thought, rushing for Celestia and Luna.

Two spears shot out, crossing in front of him. The guards that held them stepped firmly into position, glaring at the fox. Told to stay or not, they would not allow Timothy to traipse up to their princesses.

"Woah, already? I'm game." Timothy fell over backwards but didn't hit the ground, bouncing right under the crossed spears as if they weren't there. "Look at you two! Lovely ladies, it's nice to meet you both, even if you're about to be dunked in ways you've never even imagined."

One of the guards grabbed Timothy's scruff in his teeth and yanked him back. Celestia raised a hoof and they released Timothy with a soft huff, both glaring and ready. "Timothy was your name, was it?"

"And you're Celestia, and Lulu!" He 'shot' at each of them with an emphatic point. "Ooo, and Twilight Sprinkles, master of magic and friendship. That means we're already friends, right? That's how that works." He seemed quite confident. "Don't think that'll make us hold back. You're going down. Nothing personal, just how it works."

Luna took a firm step forward, slamming her hoof into the ground. "We think not! We will not be defeated so easily. We are arrayed and ready to meet and defeat you!"

Timothy clapped with only building joy. "Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to hear that. You hear that, Dark Lord? They're ready to fight!"

"Excellent." Another slow step. "A title without challengers is... pathetic." He lowered his arm, lost in the darkness that surrounded him. "I will show you all. You will bow to me."

Timothy clapped for his leader. "Hey, you guys are ready to show your stuff, right?" He looked to the turtles, who raised their weapons. "Alright!" He spun around to face the guards, grinning at them. "Oh, I can see you two are so ready."

The dark lord reached the bottom of the ramp. "I hope all are ready for my presence." He threw his arms up and to the side, his dark cape flowing freely from him. Ponies gasped and dragons covered their eyes against the horror that they beheld. Even the yaks looks uncertain, squinting. The light that shone on him reflected off the glittering skin-tight suit he wore, scattering off into intense rays across the crowd. "I will be crowned as the best."

Rarity almost tipped over. "W-what? Darling, that... What are you... hoping to be crowned for?"

Timothy waved Rarity away. "What? Come on. Really? This is the number one! So, uh, where's the pinny-attas hiding at? The boys are practically dying over there."

Celestia shook her head slowly even as she extended a wing. "Pinkie has set them up on the second tier of the terrace. Please, make yourselves at home. Pinkie?"

"Oh!" Pinkie bounced in place and began to pronk towards her setup. "One swing per creature, no matter what. Single file, let's get some candy!"

The hulking turtles cheered as one and filed off, following Pinkie away with their bludgeons at the ready to smash out some candy before the day was done.

Luna sagged in place. "You win this time."

Twilight grabbed Timothy's pawhand in her magic, her horn glowing as she pulled the fox over. "Excuse me, but... what is he doing?"

Both looked to Wraith, who was striking very dramatic poses, his sequins sparkling with the blacklight shining on him. "Is he... dancing?"

Timothy bobbed his head with a big grin. "It's his absolute favorite thing! And he is ready to rock you all right into the ground. Send out your best, because he's gonna--"

Twilight popped a hoof in the fox's snout. "I get the idea... Well, if he's come for a dance, I have no... objection to that. So, you're not here to attack?"

Timothy popped free of her hoof. "Only your confidence. Are you ready?"

"No magical onslaught to seize control of the nation?" Twilight raised a brow.

"We'll seize control of your hearts when the Big Man gets his groove down. Mmm, let's party!" He threw his hands up and wide. "I call dibs on partying with this one." He hiked a thumb at Twilight. "We're already buds, right?"

Twilight was led away, laughing nervously in the grip of the eager fox.

Rarity cleared her throat softly. "Well... now that this is out of the way, shall we resume the party?"

The tension broken, the festivities resumed. Equestria was safe, at least for an hour.

Author's Note:

A silly little ditty written for a patron. How'd I do? I get nervous with comedy pieces.

Comments ( 12 )

♫We got this together!♫

I love it! Hundred and twenty percent awesome. Thanks for writing this.

8947242
I tweaked the ending a bit, is that better?

Ending made it worth it. Dance Party!

I'm sure this is 100% Pinkie Pie approved.

One swing each, Life Of Brian. For, Of the hour, Ming The Merciless

He might be the Best dancer of them all, but.

Can he out dance Twilight. Badly. :pinkiecrazy:

If he is going to use psychological warfare, I cant see why Celestia wouldnt offer a little something similar in return. :trollestia:

A bit too obvious in the setup and too long in the windup, to the point where I was waiting for the anticlimax to be over with. Plus the genre tags were a bit of a giveaway. :derpytongue2: It's a good concept; you just stretched it out a bit much.

8948014
This is why I generally dislike genre tags. But such is the way of things.

At least fox wasn't a trash panda. That would make things too obvious.

8951277
raccoon! someone didn't watch Guardians 2 ;P

Here's your review you requested from Reviews & Feedback!

Login or register to comment