• Published 24th May 2018
  • 1,587 Views, 174 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sunny Flare - CapNTilfy



Sunny Flare lives a perfect life...so why is she struggling? Book Two of The Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
2
 174
 1,587

Crystal Clarity

Sunny Flare entered Crystal's office. Inside were several books on psychology on two shelves with each shelf on the left and right side of the room. Pictures of people Sunny assumed were her family were in various places around the office.

"Sunny Flare?" asked Crystal. Sunny brought her gaze to the guidance counselor. Crystal Clarity looked to be in her late thirties, her skin a very pale yellow with a medium shade of purple for her hair. Crystal's eyes were a light hazel color.

"Yes. That's me." Sunny answered.

"So...where do you want to start?" asked Crystal.

Sunny shrugged. "I'm not sure."

"Why not talk about something that makes you comfortable?" asked Crystal.

"I guess that's as good a place to start as any." said Sunny. "Well as you know, my name is Sunny Flare. My parents Stellar Tycoon and Shimmering Glaze are the best parents anyone can ask for! They love me unconditionally and they've always been supportive of me."

Crystal nodded. "That's good. Any brothers or sisters?"

"No." said Sunny. "I'm an only child, which is fine by me."

"Have you ever felt lonely before?" asked Crystal.

Sunny scoffed. "Everybody feels lonely from time to time."

"I meant 'do you suffer from loneliness?'" Crystal said.

"No." said Sunny. "Even if my family is away for some reason or other, I at least have my boyfriend Rutherford to keep me company." she smiled.

"Do you have any friends?" asked Crystal.

Sunny shook her head. "No. I mean, I have supportive and loving parents, as well as a boyfriend who treats me the same way. Why would I want friends?"

"There may come a time when your family and your boyfriend aren't able to help you. Wouldn't you want friends to support you?" asked Crystal.

Before Sunny could respond, she felt a pang in her stomach and winced.

"Are you okay?" asked Crystal.

"I'm fine..." said Sunny.

"Are you sure?" asked Crystal.

Sunny sighed, calming herself down. "Yes, I am."

Crystal made a note on her notepad.

"Look." said Sunny. "There may be a day where I decide I want friends, but that's not today or even tomorrow."

"Fair enough." said Crystal. "Any hobbies?"

Sunny thought for a moment. "No, not really."

"Have you ever had any sort of trauma before?" asked Crystal.

Dammit, I was hoping I'd be able to leave before she asked! thought Sunny as she felt another pang in her stomach. Well..I did promise my father... Sunny Flare took a few deep breaths to calm herself before starting. "There is...one that I had. Just a little over a year ago. What you saw when I winced in pain? I think it's what is known as an...aftereffect." Sunny said, visibly growing uncomfortable. "I get these sharp pains in my stomach from time to time..." her voice cracked.

"Is it cancer?" asked Crystal.

"No..." said Sunny. "But there have been times where I'd prefer that over what happened to me." she sniffled. "You see...what happened was...I...I...I can't..." she started crying openly. "I can't do this..." she said, sobbing. "I can't bring myself to tell you what happened. It's just too painful!"

Crystal handed Sunny a box of tissues, and ended up getting a tight hug from Sunny Flare as she cried into Crystal's chest. "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it. I understand." Crystal said in a soothing voice. After a few minutes, Sunny calmed down and broke the hug.

"Thank you." said Sunny as she wiped a tear from her eye.

"You're welcome." said Crystal, smiling. She checked the clock in her office. "I think our time is up. Would you like to make another appointment?"

Sunny smiled. "Yes...Yes I would."

"Then I'll see you again soon." said Crystal.

Sunny walked over to the reception desk and made an appointment for Monday, just before the tryouts for the Friendship Games. She smiled and went on with her day.

---------------------------------------------

The rest of the school day barely kept Sunny's interest, as she was excited for her date with Rutherford later tonight. He had been on her mind throughout most of the day, and she couldn't wait to feel his gentle touch. She sighed dreamily. My Prince, Rutherford... Sunny boarded the bus and stared out the window as it left Crystal Prep. She made a sputtering noise, closing her eyes. Her phone buzzed, nearly startling her.

Are you looking forward to tonight? - Sent by Rutherford

Indeed I am, Prince Rutherford. ;) - Sent by Sunny Flare

"Prince" Rutherford? You must be more than just excited, Sunflare... - Sent by Rutherford

Sunny giggled and blushed.

Well tonight you'll see just how..."excited" I am. - Sent by Sunny Flare

I can't wait! See you in a couple of hours! - Sent by Rutherford

I love you. - Sent by Sunny Flare

I love you too. - Sent by Rutherford

Sunny sank into her bus seat and sighed. Tonight will definitely be a night to remember... she thought, nearly giddy with anticipation.

The bus reached Sunny's stop and she got off. Upon reaching her house, she opened the door. "Hello!" she said.

"Hey, Sunny!" said her father. "How was school?"

"It was sort of boring as usual." said Sunny.

"Did you see a guidance counselor?" asked Glaze.

Sunny nodded. "Her name is Crystal Clarity."

"Did you tell about the incident?" asked Stellar.

Sunny took a deep breath and sighed heavily. "I didn't. I tried my hardest, but I couldn't bring myself to tell her."

"Well at least you're trying, Sunny." said her mother. "Who knows? Maybe one day you'll be able to tell anyone about it!" Her mother paused, realizing what she just said. "Not...that I recommend you do that." she said as she blushed from embarrassment.

Sunny giggled. "It's okay, mother. I understood what you meant." Sunny's eyes widened. "Oh! I almost forgot. Rutherford and I have a date tonight! I hope this isn't too last minute of a notice for you two."

"Not at all." said her mother.

"Don't worry about it, Sunny." said her father. "We didn't have any plans for tonight."

Sunny smiled widely. "Excellent!"

---------------------------------------------

Within a couple of hours, a car drove into the driveway. "That's him!" Sunny said excitedly.

"You two have fun now." said her mother.

"And come home safely!" said her father.

"Don't worry, I will!" said Sunny, and she left the house.