• Published 24th May 2018
  • 1,587 Views, 174 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sunny Flare - CapNTilfy



Sunny Flare lives a perfect life...so why is she struggling? Book Two of The Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
2
 174
 1,587

Thinning the Herd

Sunny Flare exited her class and walked the halls, anticipating the results of the academic portion of the Friendship Games tryouts. She scanned the walls intently, searching for the outcome and rankings. I have no doubt that I ranked high, but I'm still nervous. she thought. She stopped in front of a large crowd of students. This must be the place. Sunny moved her way through the throng until she finally found the standings. She smiled, folded her arms and gave a nod of satisfaction. Top Five. As always, stiff competition around here. She scanned the piece of paper until her eyes reached the bottom.

Notice: Second round of tryouts will be held after next period in the track field.

All right. Academics then athletics. Fair balance. Sunny thought. She pushed her way out of the crowd and moved on to her next class.

----------------------------------------------

After her class, Sunny made a beeline for the track. She recognized Sour Sweet, Indigo Zap, Lemon Zest and Sugarcoat. That doesn't surprise me. It's like the five of us are the best of the best around here. She heard Principal Cinch speak up, so she snapped to attention.

"As you've all no doubt realized," said Principal Cinch. "This tryout will be physical. The top eleven fastest lap times will move on to the Friendship Games."

Most of that statement seemed unnecessary. thought Sunny. And why run one lap in the track? This almost seems arbitrary... she shrugged. But who am I to say so? It's the staff's decision, not mine.

As Sunny waited for her name to be called, she let her thoughts drift. So...the funeral. she sighed. I'm not looking forward to it...but of course I'm going to go. What kind of surviving girlfriend would I be if I didn't? She felt a lump in her throat. 'Surviving girlfriend'...great. Now that's going to be hanging over my head for a while. She rolled her eyes.I'll have to go up to a podium, reminisce about all the times we had together then inevitably burst into tears, bawling my eyes out while trying to finish my last anecdote...in front of a crowd of people I hardly know, save four. she sighed again.

"Sunny Flare!" Principal Cinch called out, snapping her to attention.

Here goes nothing... thought Sunny as she walked up to the track. She took her mark and closed her eyes. This lap's for you, my Prince... she thought as she could feel tears welling up.

"Go!"

Sunny ran as fast as she could, using her emotions to fuel herself. She suppressed a scream to avoid funny looks or unwanted attention. When she reached the end, she ran off the track then collapsed from exhaustion, breathing heavily. She felt someone pick her up off the ground. She turned her head to see Dean Cadence with a sincere smile on her face. She gave Sunny a hug then whispered into her ear. "He would have been proud of you." Sunny's eyes widened in shock. "Don't be so surprised, Sunny." she said. "Your parents called me and told me while you were unconscious in the hospital."

Sunny sniffled, then buried her head in Cadence's chest and cried.

----------------------------------------------

Still exhausted from her run and breakdown in front of Cadence, Sunny slowly made her way to the results of the final part of the tryouts. She found a group of students trying to look over each other. This must be the place. She looked at the posted results.

Competitors for the Friendship Games
Indigo Zap
Lemon Zest
Sour Sweet
Sugarcoat
Sunny Flare
Neon Lights
Trenderhoof
Suri Polomare
Jet Set
Upper Crust
Royal Pin

Sunny blinked in surprise. Okay...Indigo being at the top doesn't surprise me. Neither does Lemon coming in second, but Sour Sweet and Sugarcoat beat me?! I know I'm not the most athletic person here, but come on! She slapped the palm of her hand to her face and dragged it all the way down to her chin. I suppose I shouldn't complain all that much, though. At least I'm still in the top five...and officially in the Friendship Games. Sunny smiled. Sometimes in life it's the little things...

The warning bell for the final period went off. Using what little energy she had remaining in reserve, Sunny sprinted to the last class of the day.

----------------------------------------------

"Ugh." said Sunny as she left her final class. Thank god that's over with...my muscles were killing me in there! Perhaps I overexerted myself at the track...

She boarded the bus, glad to be on her way home for the day. She sat down, then slid a little on her seat. Whoever makes these seats should be sued or something. They're hardly comfortable! Sunny winced a little as she felt a muscle throb. It would seem a hot shower is in order when I get home.

The bus reached Sunny's destination, and she left the bus. She opened the door to her house. "Hello." she said wearily.

Shimmering Glaze was the first to greet her. "Oh my...Sunny, are you okay?" she said, sprinting over to her daughter. "You look exhausted!"

Sunny smiled weakly. "'Exhausted' would be putting it lightly, mother."

"Did you have a rough day?" asked her mother.

"I'll tell you and father all about it later. Right now I could really, really use a hot and relaxing shower." said Sunny.

Glaze smiled. "Understood. Dinner will be ready shortly, so try not to take too long."

Sunny smirked. "I'm not making any promises!" she said in a singsong voice.

----------------------------------------------

When Sunny sat down to the dinner table, she took a deep breath and told her parents all that had happened.

"Wait..." said her father. "How did Principal Cinch know about Rutherford?!"

Sunny shrugged. "I wish I knew. I'm genuinely worried that I won't be able to sleep tonight not knowing that."

Glaze and Stellar shot each other meaningful glances. Fortunately for them, Sunny was too tired to notice, much less care. She did, however, notice her father get up. "Excuse me." he said. "I have an important call to make." Stellar left the dining room.

"Why don't you go to bed early, honey?" asked her mother. "You've had a long day today."

"Tell me about it." Sunny said, sighing. "I feel that if I don't get enough sleep tonight, someone's going to have hell to pay."

Glaze smiled as her daughter left the table. "Good night, sweetie."

"Good night." said Sunny as she left the dining room.

A few minutes later, Stellar returned. "Where'd Sunny go?"

"She went to bed early. The day really took its toll on her." said Glaze. "So...what's the word?"

Stellar sighed. "The higher-ups know as much as we do at this point. Hopefully we'll get some answers soon...the Friendship Games are within a few days."