• Published 18th Sep 2018
  • 248 Views, 1 Comments

The staff and barrs of life . - WarrAinjal



My story of Vinyl and Octavia home life growing up and how thy came by there unusual quarks .

  • ...
 1
 248

Chap 3 Finding there cord

Harmonic Melody took the two fillies to Domino's Acoustic. First Melody and Octavia looked over the bows. Octavia's eyes were drawn to a deep red rosewood. A swishing sound came as Octavia strummed the air.

"Mommy, can I have this one? I like the way it feels in my hoof."

"It’s A fine choice." Melody said, turning to face Vinyl Scratch. " Vinyl, I know how much you love your headphones. But your sister and I need some quiet time. Can you do that for us?" With a slight frown her horn glowed and her earphones slid down her neck. Then with a smile she looked at Octavia and gave the pony equivalent to a thumbs up.

At the counter sat a old stallion. "Mrs. Melody, how may I help you?" he asked.

" We would like to see your bass cellos." responded Melody. Turning to point at Octavia, she saw the two at a double bass cello. Octavia's bow struck the chords. A low, slightly off string of notes came forth. Hitting Vinyl like a gentle wind. It felt to Vinyl that she was hearing her sister’s voice for the first time. Octavia continued to play. As Melody walked over a flash of light came. Octavia's cutie mark had appeared as Vinyl danced in the aisle.

"Well, I did come here to buy a cello,” Melody said, turning to the owner, “ I just didn't think it would be that big."

The owner laughed. "I will go get the case out of the back."

Melody began writing down her home address." I think I will need it delivered. It appears I have a party to plan."
It was already too late in the evening to have a party, so Octavia's Cutenceaneras was held the next day. Balloons and streamers hung over the gazebo in which sat the bass cello, still with the price tag on. Off to the side sat the happy parents serving out the cake as the foals played in the grass. After the line had waned, Octavia walked up to her father.

" Can I play it now, father?"

"Sure sweetheart, let me gather everyone's attention first." The creaking of stairs pulled everypony's attention as the pair ascended. Once at the platform, Back Stage started.
"My friends and family, yesterday our Octavia on this very instrument received her cutie mark. Now she wishes to entertain you with her newfound talent. " He turned to her. "Go ahead." Octavia grabbed the price tag in her teeth and spat it to the floor. Holding her new bow she strummed the chords to a slightly off-key solo.
To polite claps, Octavia started, "Thank you, and I promise to be better next time I play it for all of you." Placing the bow down on a stool, she continued. "But for now, please enjoy the songs from our fine music system. " With that Vinyl 45 began to DJ the party, when she noticed little Vinyl hugging one of the speakers. In a neon blue aura, young Vinyl floated over to sit on her mother's lap.

"Watch mom work sweetheart." Looking up Scratch let out a soft squeak, which was her way of saying I'm listening. Mentally it still felt odd calling herself mom, but here she was. As one record finished she dragged a hoof on it before throwing a switch and turning on the next player. Looking into her daughter's eyes, she whispered, "That was a slow change over. There are other styles I will teach you. Like the Robot , Beatmatching, and the Double Scratch. That's where your name comes from, by the way." As a party goer momentarily distracted Vinyl 45, Vinyl Scratch grabbed her favorite record. She then hastily placed it on a empty turntable and seamlessly beat-matched the two songs. In a flash of light a single black note appeared upon her flanks.

After the song ended Vinyl 45 stopped the players and spoke. "On this day of joyous news, we now have even more to celebrate. My Vinyl Scratch has just earned her cutie mark!" As the party guests gathered round to take a look, Octavia felt jealous that her party had been hijacked by her sister. At least until her sister came and hugged her. Happy they could share this day together, the party went on till the sun set.

Author's Note:

And this chapter is dun . woot