• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 6,236 Views, 257 Comments

Of War and Friendship - DocDelray



Mandalorians and Ponies working together to stop the Deathwatch, what could be better than that?

  • ...
7
 257
 6,236

A lay of the land

Sparking wires and loose metal panels hung haphazardly from the ceiling and walls. The rough landing of the Cheatin’ Whore had taken its’ toll on the ship. A full hour had passed since their touchdown. Her crew of Mandalorian warriors gathered in what was left of the common room of the ship.

“So, what’s the damage?” Kad questioned his squad mates.

“Besides being half buried in a hillside you mean?” Traycn asked sarcastically, “The main engine’s completely shot and the secondary is nothing but burnt scrap now, same as our communications systems. Baring any chance that this rock has a functioning ship yard or intergalactic communication hub, we have no way to repair the ship let alone get a ride out of here.”

Kad sighed in frustration as he patted the nearest wall, “Gar pirusti, udes jii.” There was a moment of silence among them all as they shared painful stares, “Ain’t nothin’ we can do ‘bout all of that. Anyone got any good news?”

Torb tapped a few keys on computer mounted into his gauntlet bringing up a shaky hologram, “Sensors picked this up as we came down.” The image of a ruined palace formed before them, “These ruins are just barely a mile from our position.”

“Rope bridge looks to be the only way into the ruins.” Traycn pointed out, “Heavy canopy cover from the forest, steep cliffs, very defensible.” He pointed out with a hint of admiration.

“Not to be the wet blanket here but that frigate can’t be too far behind us,” Arkanna added to the discussion, “If we stay here we’re sitting on a big fat bull’s-eye.”

Yet another long silence between the crewmates before Kad spoke up, “Scuttle the ship,” He said in a monotone, “Grab every piece’a gear, blasters, grenades, if it ain’t nailed down then smash it. Torb I want ya to hit the computers, get every piece’a data off this rig then wipe the slate clean.”

The Chiss gave an amused snort, “I had anticipated this situation, months ago, and already have backups of every single file on the computers as well as set up a mass wipe program.”

The entire crew stared at him in silent surprise, “We Chiss take pride in our ability to anticipate and prepare for any possible outcome.” Torb added as he continued his work.

“Ya know what,” Kell slipped into the conversation, “Sometimes you scare the osik out of me.”

“Ooookay then…” Kad continued, “Let’s move people, I want this rust bucket damn near scrapped before dusk. Load up everything on one of the speeders, assumin’ either of ‘em are still functionin’.”

“There is one more thing,” Torb interjected, “The main communication array might have been damaged in the fire fight, but I believe Traycn and I could jury-rig something to replace it.”

“Fine, grab whatever ya guys need,” Kad replied, “Let’s move it boys, sun’s goin’ down an’ I do not want to transverse an alien world in the middle’a the night!”

Without another word they broke to go about tasks. It didn’t take long to unload the armory, every weapon was quickly crated up or handed out along with grenades and powerpacks. Traycn and Torb made quick work of the com station as well as grabbing every spare wire and circuit board that looked intact. Within two hours the ship had been stripped of just about anything of major use. Just outside the cargo bay doors was a speeder loaded down to the point where its repulsors had trouble keeping it at a hover.

Keeping themselves spread out and on alert they made the long trek through the thick forest. Kad stole one last glance over his shoulder at their beloved ship, his mind replaying the near death moment on Geonosis that brought them into possession of the transport ship. All the adventures it had carried them through, the heated battles it’d saved them from and saw them through. He knew the ship would reach its end someday but never once thought it would be so inglorious.

The sun was setting behind them as they left the clearing and final resting place of the Cheatin’ Whore, pressing deeper into the brush. Far ahead of the pack, Kell kept a tentative watch on the surroundings ahead of them. Scouting deeper into the forest safeguarding their path, his eyes glancing from one read-out on his HUD to the next. As he made his way something blipped across his motion tracker. Bringing his rifle up he kept himself trained on the area it had appeared. Slowly he inched his way closer to it only to find a small long eared creature spring out and dart past him.

“Freakin’ wild life is playing hell on my radar systems.” He complained over the coms to no one in particular.

As their column moved on, the tell tale signs of running water caught their attention which Kad opted to break from the group and gather one of the most important supplies of all. Several empty jugs were slung over each arm and a pair carried in each hand as he made his way from the forest path to the river side, “On the plus side we won’t die from dehydration, this stuff is clean an’ clear.”

His task had to be a fast one though, they were losing the evening light and fast. Each jug in turn was dunked under the flowing water until it was filled to the brim and pulled out. Something drew his attention though. Quickly getting to his feet and swinging his wrist mounted blasters up till they were leveled with his chest. His helmets’ HUD said there was nothing there though. All he saw were the markers of his comrades. But he was sure he’d heard it, a voice.

“Hey guys, any’a you say somethin’ over the com?” Kad asked cautiously as he continued to scan his surroundings, weapons at the ready.

“Nobody over here said a peep.” Arkanna’s voice answered.

“Hah, does baby need me to come hold his hand?” Kell wasted no time on the chance to insult his brother.

“Shut up an’ secure them ruins di’kutla.” Kad barked over the coms.

A quick spike in the force drew his attention to a sentient mind behind him. Acting on instinct he took a dive forward to give himself distance as he came out of the roll with his weapons aimed and ready. It was then that he saw the massive form rise up from the water.

“Haar'chak…” Kad muttered to himself.

As the waves parted a long mass of bright violet scales rose up into the air as part of a long elegant serpentine body. It already towered over the Mandalorian but a sinking feeling in Kad’s gut told him there was still a lot more to this thing beneath the waves. Taking a few steps back his eyes traveled up its’ intimidating length stopping on the long sharp claws, a snout no doubt filled with serrated teeth, its’ huge reptilian eyes and a well quaffed head of bright orange hair.

Blinking in confusion, Kad shook his head clear and checked again. Sure enough it was still there, a head of admittedly very well kept and cared for hair. A feat that he found both confusing and impressive all at the same time considering it had just risen out from the depths. Slowly his hand reached behind his back hovering just above the handle of his lightsaber.

“Oh my, hello there!” The beasts’ chipper tone was more than a little disarming.

Kad’s hand relaxed a bit as he waved weakly up at the serpent, “Uh… howdy.”


Meanwhile, the rest of the crew had reached the outer perimeter of the castle ruins. Kell stood at the foot of the bridge and teased it with his foot before looking back at the group, mainly at Traycn, “I don’t think the speeder or big lovin’ is gonna make it across.”

“I am not big I’m just healthy!” The Taung shouted back angrily.

Torb shook his head in aggravation as Kell and Traycn began arguing back and forth over the size problem of their personal one man army, “Enough,” He snarled at them both to silence them, “Traycn will remain here with our gear and provide us an escape route, everyone else, we’re going in there.”

The remaining four quickly made their way across the bridge and with trained military precision stacked themselves against the door before pressing inside, each member of the squad checking his corners and keeping his teammates safe from any harm that may be hiding just out of sight. As they swept the main hall each com chimed in with an all clear one after another.

“This place looks pretty dead…” Zex stated under his breath as he scanned the area from behind the sights of his carbine.

Torb nudged their sniper in the side, “Kell, your helmet has the best sensor pack out of all of us.”

With a nod he placed his rifle on the ground beside him and took a knee, “I read ya.” Placing a hand to the side of his helmet he began sifting quickly through various vision modes and readouts as he looked from the ceiling to the floor slowly taking in the area, “All scopes look clean.”

“Great, now we just need to get thunder thighs and all that gear onto this side of the ravine and we’ll be set.” Arkanna stated.

As if on cue there came a load crashing noise of metal slamming into the ground just outside the doors. The force of the impact threw dirt and dust into the air around them. Bringing their weapons up the team spilled out into the courtyard.

Outside the only thing they found was their heavily armored companion standing at the center of a small crater, the pair of heavy duty jump jets on his back still smoking. Clamped in his metallic grip was the now twisted remains of the speeder. All about the crater was the scattered bits of gear taken from the ship. Traycn’s visor looked up to scan his companions, “I got bored waiting… brought the speeder.”

“Yeah… what’s freakin’ left of it!” Kell berated him.

“The supplies are closer to our new base of operations.” Traycn added triumphantly.

The sound of breaking twigs across the ravine drew their attention as Kad exited the brush weighed down with the newly filled watered jugs, “Fellas… what happened to the speeder?”

“Traycn.” Was the unanimous reply from the others.

“Haar'chak, guess we’re walkin’ from now on.” Kad trudged his way across the rope bridge before dropping the water jugs at their feet, “Hey guys, can I ask you lot somethin’?”

“What’s on your mind fearless leader?” Arkanna asked.

“Well… do you guys think my armor looks drab?” Kad reluctantly put the question out there as he could feel the now uncomfortable air around them become thicker. The visors of their helmets kept him from seeing their reactions but he knew what the looks on their faces were.

“Beg pardon?” Kell was the only one to speak up.

“I… I met one’a the locals at the river, looks like they speak basic, so that’s a plus right?” Kad said skirting the question of his brother.

“No, not what I asked.” Kell was not about to let him jump topics.

“Well, he was a very friendly fella,” Kad began recounting his experience, “Had a… nice head of hair an’ uh… mustache… oh and he happens to be a giant river snake. Said that I should consider a deferent paint scheme for my armor, or maybe a… fashionable cloak to… accentuate it…”

There was a long silence from the entire team as they stared at him in uncomfortable disbelief, “I think it looks fine.” Zex chimed in with a comical tone.

“Yes well, if we could return out focus to the situation for a moment,” Torb interjected, “So we’re dealing with big water snakes that talk?”

“Well I didn’t get him to talk at length bout the planet,” Kad retorted, “But I got the impression that whatever he was wasn’t the dominant species.”

“Makes sense,” Zex added, “This planet isn’t nearly aquatic enough to have developed that kind of a species in mass. To evolve across the majority of it there would need to be a much higher water to land ratio. From orbit it looked to be a fairly standard garden world-”

“Boooooring.” Kell rudely interrupted.

With a sigh Kad shook his head, “Okay, stow the chatter. What’s the sitrep on our new home?”

“Couldn’t find jack on the scans, looks to be clear.” Kell replied.

“Fine by me,” Kad stated, “Gather the gear an’ pile in, four hour watch shifts, I’ll take the first one.” He stole a glance overhead as a clear star filled sky filled his view, “Kell, you an’ Arkanna give this place a quick sweep, report whatever ya find.”

With a nod the pair disappeared into the castle as the rest of them gathered up what they had brought with them and moved deeper into the ruined building. The mostly crumbled walls seemed oddly sturdy despite nature’s encroachment on this would be bastion. In time the weapons and gear were all accounted for and checked. A small fire had been stared at the far side of the main hall. In a corner of the room the odd pair of Traycn and Torb slaved over what still looked like a mish mashed pile of wires, circuit boards and diodes.

Kad left them to their work as he leaned against the large wooden door that sat ajar, his visor’s blank stare looking out into the forest. In the back of his mind he kept rolling what happened before his new “acquaintance” showed up. It felt as though someone had called him out. It felt like eyes were on him, keeping close tabs on his actions, it was veiled though, deep behind the Force itself.